Morfio

Gaming & anime watchin' lion here!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is there anybody here that is interested in any 3 of these subjects? I was looking for this kind of thread and didn't find one so I thought I'd go ahead and post about it.

Basically I'm looking for people to talk about favorite characters, shows, what universe they like, and things of that nature. Seems like a good idea. :)

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am a cartoon fan , but I am not into comics, as for anime :D I recently developed interest in the whole universe, since you probably know about the big diversity. So if you have any anime recommendations :D I would be pleased to hear them.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
At that point it depends on what you really like to watch. What kind of genre are you looking to watch when it comes to that? I don't want to be vague and name a bunch that I've seen with you not liking a lot of them. Lol.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I am into sci-fi, and more serious , darker stuff if possible, but I don't mind comedy . I've been recommended Cowboy Bebop and Banner of The Stars , but I will be grateful if you could recommend something else.

Oh, I am definitely not into the Echi genre, if what I was told about it is true :D

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
*Ecchi - Basically if you're not into Hentai then you won't enjoy it. Not that I'd recommend that to anybody.

Good series that I would recommend would be Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Outlaw Star, Darker Than Black, Blue Gender, Terra Formars, Ninja Scroll, Zetman, Arc The Lad, Shiki, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Higurashi no Naku Koroni Rei (When They Cry), Witchblade, Pet Shop of Horrors, Strait Jacket, Chaos Head, Descendants of Darkness, Gantz, Bokurano, Paranoia Agent, Blood+, Blue Seed, Ghost Hunt, Baccano!, Eureka Seven, Berserk, Ergo Proxy, Trinity Blood, Hellsing, Elfen Lied, and Death Note.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I looked them up and I think I will start with Darker Than Black and Blood+ , since I have so much on my plate right now. Btw I started watching Crest of The Stars and it is awesome ! I already now that it's gonna be one of my favorite sci fi shows.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll definitely have to give it a look then. I looked up the series and it looks decent. Apparently there's also a 90 minute OVA (anime film) attached with that series as well that I'll have to watch.

Darker than Black I thought was an amazing series. There is 1 more seasons after that show named Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor and an OVA called Darker than Black: Gaiden which takes place between the 1st and 2nd seasons storylines.

Blood+ I thought was very good. Action-packed along with the ability to really keep you interested in the story.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Now if you really want a storyline that will throw you for a loop then I recommend Baccano! greatly. I thought it was an amazing serious that really reels you into each character.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would like that! I will see it too, I just need some time.

As for the Crest of The Stars, there is the OVA and there are two seasons which are continuation of the story Banner of the Stars I and II. I really got interested in the whole story and after a miniscule amount of digging it turned out that they are based on a series of books.

This is the crazy part, the guy who wrote the books, invented the Abh (imperial ) language and alphabet and wrote the books in this language. (of course there was a translation included in the books) So I will be looking also for the books.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you about the recommendation and will probably also check it out, but for the moment I have too much on my plate and except if I don't go in a full on anime frenzy , it will take a while :D

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey @Azrael Ibanez , are you watching any specific anime at the moment?

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Samurai Champloo was a great series. If you're interested in 19th century Japanese with a mix of hip hop.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It is a good series to fall back to.

Another one that is good for taking on a story in the Japanese Warring States Period is Samurai 7. Basically it is a futuristic take of the film The Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa (RIP). It's really good in my opinion if you want to give that a watch as well.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been into Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet lately.

I just looked up that anime and I want to watch it so bad now!!!! Now that I know that Production I.G. produced it I'll have to give it a look for sure. It looks pretty good.

Azrael Ibanez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I'm really loving it so far. Also, Samurai 7 is one of my favorites.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have it on DVD. Bought it when I was still in the military.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's awesome! I love anime as a whole for the versatility it bring to cartoons as a whole. There's something for everybody. You can't really say that for most of the cartoons that are on TV today here in the state.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It took me a while, but I finished Blood+ and Darker than Black (not the OVAs though) and I think that both are incredible, now I am in the middle of Sword Art Online and I am sure that I am already a sucker for the genre.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sword Art Online was good but I don't really count the second season for that as a part of the show. I can't say anything about Sword Art Online 2 though since I haven't seen it yet. I need to start getting back into seeing what is airing in Japan at the moment to see if there is anything that I might watch.

I've been reading the Air Gear manga of recent and since I saw the anime I've wanted to figure out what happened after they ended the show and the manga goes through that thank goodness. :D

NXX.SXPXRNX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am into comics I've read a couple Deathstroke / Deadpool, Green Arrow, Batman books. I also have manga DBZ books (Only Majin series right now.) Any recommendations?

I am also a gigantic fan of DBZ watched it at 8 years old and still watch it to this day. Attack on Titans is interesting too. I tried to get into Bleach and Naruto but couldn't - once again, recommendations?

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Attack on Titan was good. The story needs to go for a little bit longer but I haven't read the manga yet so I don't know if it continues after the anime.

Now when it comes to recommendations what kind of genres regarding anime are you into? Do you like more of the action packed shounen stuff or are you looking for something kind of specific? Just let me know what you like and I can give you some recommendations based off of that.

Manga: I'm reading Air Gear right now and that's a really good series. I'm trying to get through all 357 chapters of it (I'm only on 51 [T_T] ) but it's a really good one. Originally came out in '02 but the anime series didn't make it here till way later along with most of the English versions of the manga. They never fully translated all of it which is why I'm finally reading the manga so I can figure out what happens after the anime ends.

NXX.SXPXRNX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Attack on Titan was good. The story needs to go for a little bit longer but I haven't read the manga yet so I don't know if it continues after the anime.

Now when it comes to recommendations what kind of genres regarding anime are you into? Do you like more of the action packed shounen stuff or are you looking for something kind of specific? Just let me know what you like and I can give you some recommendations based off of that.

Manga: I'm reading Air Gear right now and that's a really good series. I'm trying to get through all 357 chapters of it (I'm only on 51 [T_T] ) but it's a really good one. Originally came out in '02 but the anime series didn't make it here till way later along with most of the English versions of the manga. They never fully translated all of it which is why I'm finally reading the manga so I can figure out what happens after the anime ends.

--

Anything similar to DBZ is preferable but I'll take anything

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey, @Morfio , I asked around and a friend of mine recommended seeing this site http://forum.anime-reactor.net/viewforum.php?f=23 . Up until 2012 they used to have this community driven awards, divided in different categories, and from what I've seen they were pretty good. It seems though that they are no longer in business, do you know another such site for the last 3 years ? I mean something where all the chaff is cleaned and you could see the best productions for the past year ?

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
--

Anything similar to DBZ is preferable but I'll take anything

At that point you can just look at stuff that is tagged as 'Shounen' since that's what DBZ really appealed to (the younger generations I mean). There are mounds of shows like that. Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann, Hajime no Ippo, Deathnote, Hunter x Hunter, Haikyuu!!, Naruto, One Piece, Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Soul Eater, Noragami, Blue Exorcist, Eureka Seven, and the list kind of goes on. Just have to know where to look basically.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, @Morfio , I asked around and a friend of mine recommended seeing this site http://forum.anime-reactor.net/viewforum.php?f=23 . Up until 2012 they used to have this community driven awards, divided in different categories, and from what I've seen they were pretty good. It seems though that they are no longer in business, do you know another such site for the last 3 years ? I mean something where all the chaff is cleaned and you could see the best productions for the past year ?

I'll have to really do some snooping around to see if I can find something else like that. I personally don't know of any off the top of my head but I'm sure my other friends that watch anime as much as I might know of something. I'll see what I can find either tonight or this weekend and post about it later. :D

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will be grateful. It is an industry and in any industry if there is demand there is someone trying to fill up this demand even if it is with low quality stuff. Having something like this will be extremely helpful .

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will be grateful. It is an industry and in any industry if there is demand there is someone trying to fill up this demand even if it is with low quality stuff. Having something like this will be extremely helpful .

I was fairly busy this weekend also so I didn't have a lot of time to look. Sadly I couldn't find anything over the weekend but I'll continually be looking for stuff whenever I'm not at work. I'll keep you updated on stuff you might be interested in nonetheless.

DaBuddhaVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I honestly watch a bit of everything, but I don't have a TV so I mostly end up just watching anime at crunchyroll:(.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I honestly watch a bit of everything, but I don't have a TV so I mostly end up just watching anime at crunchyroll:(.

But do you have a computer? If so that could mean there are numerous anime you're missing out on. I have many sites I get on to either watch anime or read manga along with superhero movies & stuff related to that. Just let me know if there's some links you might want for either of those. :D

DaBuddhaVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
But do you have a computer? If so that could mean there are numerous anime you're missing out on. I have many sites I get on to either watch anime or read manga along with superhero movies & stuff related to that. Just let me know if there's some links you might want for either of those. :D
Haha yep. I basically watch on the computer while I work and stuff. I know a few websites, but I'm not sure if there are any movies I've missed or interested me. Haha, I kinda feel like I've watched most of them, but I'm so bad in memorizing names and stuff. Right now I'm super liking the Food Wars anime series....so much lolz. And for movies, I am anticipating for the next part of Berserk.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday, I watched Ghilbli's "Wolf Children" and was really good. The director knew his business and you could see that they had spared no expenses when it come to the animation. I recommend it to anyone who thinks will enjoy more relaxed, quick watch anime :)

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha yep. I basically watch on the computer while I work and stuff. I know a few websites, but I'm not sure if there are any movies I've missed or interested me. Haha, I kinda feel like I've watched most of them, but I'm so bad in memorizing names and stuff. Right now I'm super liking the Food Wars anime series....so much lolz. And for movies, I am anticipating for the next part of Berserk.

Ah okay. Well I didn't know if you were trying to watch stuff that is still airing in Japan or not. I usually try to get the jump on most of the newer stuff I would want to watch before it comes out dubbed. :3

DaBuddhaVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ah okay. Well I didn't know if you were trying to watch stuff that is still airing in Japan or not. I usually try to get the jump on most of the newer stuff I would want to watch before it comes out dubbed. :3
I seriously cannot watch dubbed anime. Maybe just DBZ since I grew up with it being dubbed.

I watched Ghilbli's "Wolf Children"
Haha, that movie is awesome.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I seriously cannot watch dubbed anime. Maybe just DBZ since I grew up with it being dubbed.

DBZ in Japanese....just Goku's voice. That's about the only issue I have with it since a chick does his voice in Japan. I think it was better in English in comparison. It's like not being able to watch Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop in Japanese. They had such good dubs that I didn't want to watch them in Japanese.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think that in many cases the dub version is worse, I mean you are watching the anime, some stuff is happening and the voice actors sound as if they are fighting the effects of sleeping pills. But there are indeed some that have a really good dub.

DaBuddhaVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
DBZ in Japanese....just Goku's voice. That's about the only issue I have with it since a chick does his voice in Japan. I think it was better in English in comparison. It's like not being able to watch Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop in Japanese. They had such good dubs that I didn't want to watch them in Japanese.
I think that in many cases the dub version is worse, I mean you are watching the anime, some stuff is happening and the voice actors sound as if they are fighting the effects of sleeping pills. But there are indeed some that have a really good dub.
I absolutely agree.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Most cases of dub aren't the best and most leave out certain things that you should know in the show (which I figured out by re-watching some shows subbed). It seems that over the years it's gotten better but nothing can beat the original Japanese in my eyes. Something about how they accentuate certain words and their overzealousness with some characters is what keeps me entertained. I just wish that some of the voice actors here in America would learn how to do.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I recently watched a special on Sword Art Online and in it the people behind the show were talking exactly about that. How it is often that the English dub, leaves a lot of the emotion out. But they were really happy with the dub of SAO and I have to agree. Since the voice actors have done their job I preffer watching this particular anime in English rather than Japanese :)

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To each their own. I still prefer sub over dub only because I watch a lot of Asian movies as well. ;)

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, you are also right :D I think that this would be a type of topic that would ensue flame-wars whenever it pops up , so maybe we should stick to the pure art form of anime and leave the sub and dub part for some other place :D

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, you are also right :D I think that this would be a type of topic that would ensue flame-wars whenever it pops up , so maybe we should stick to the pure art form of anime and leave the sub and dub part for some other place :D

I completely understand. We don't need any bad blood in this thread over something so trivial. ;)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Morfio I know what ya mean about the shitty over dub. But I found the dubbed outlaw star was lacking seriously lacking emotions. Cowboy either way just wish there were move of them, Ed and Ein were the show stealers IMHO.
Last anime I got into pretty heavy and binge watched was one I cannot remember the name.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Morfio I know what ya mean about the shitty over dub. But I found the dubbed outlaw star was lacking seriously lacking emotions. Cowboy either way just wish there were move of them, Ed and Ein were the show stealers IMHO.
Last anime I got into pretty heavy and binge watched was one I cannot remember the name.

@BigNasty :Outlaw Star wasn't terrible but yes, it could've been done waaaay better. Then again around that time voice actors were still learning a decent amount when it comes to emoting the right way for specific situations. They're still learning to this day but they have really progressed over the years after shows that came out around that time. I'm hoping one day that dubs can reach the status that Japan voice actors have bestowed on anime as a whole.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK since you are the anime guru ill float this one to you.
The anime was female demons male handlers.. cannot remember the damned name of it.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK since you are the anime guru ill float this one to you.
The anime was female demons male handlers.. cannot remember the damned name of it.

I'm definitely not an anime guru but I'm very knowledgeable on the subject. It kind of sounds familiar. Do you remember what year you watched it?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm definitely not an anime guru but I'm very knowledgeable on the subject. It kind of sounds familiar. Do you remember what year you watched it?
5 or so years ago at least, I was working with a graphic artist who was a manga/anime junky and he was talking shit about it. So I tried to watch the giant eyed garbage he touted was kick ass and was like watching retarded shin chan.

VU Sponsors