Morfio

Gaming & anime watchin' lion here!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did the style of it look older or more current?

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It might take a while to find but that's only because of all the sources I'll be using to try and find it so bear with me.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It may be due to the insomnia and general lack of sleep I have been suffering recently :D , but I am confused. Is this stuff worth watching and is it Witch Hunter Robin ?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool to see some anime fans here. I think the first anime I saw might of been dragonball, back on Toonami's midnight run. I also remember tenchi and sailor moon... ...detective conan, and YuYu Hakusho, too. I think my two real breakthrough ones were Bebop and FLCL. I really loved Trigun back in 5th grade, though. That was the first show I recorded on VHS. The Ghost in the Shell TV series was interesting too, but I didn't get as super-excited about it as I tend to get now because I couldn't grasp everything in it when I was in middle school.

I kept up with the charts for years while also looking back. I've seen hundreds in these past few years alone. It's kinda funny how obsessive I can get about it, because I've never really taken part in the fandom culture. I don't follow the news or collect memorabilia. No desire to go to a con. I just really like watching anime. It's interesting to see what it can do as a medium.

My interest has been waning a lot over the past several seasons though. I feel like the writing just is not there, though I generally prefer somewhat older shows to begin with. And that is a preference, not an objective statement on the quality of modern anime. I feel like there's not a whole lot for me on the charts these days.

I tend to gravitate towards stuff that's weird, dark, experimental, or filmic. Pulpy action is fun on occasion. Fantasy surprises me sometimes, too. Sci-fi is my favorite.

Some of my favorites include: some of the aforementioned, Serial Experiments Lain, all of the original GITS films, Ruroni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal, Kaiba, Kyousougiga, Sword of the Stranger, Wolf Brigade, Akira, Cat Soup, Gundam Unicorn (though I don't get a lot of it because I don't know the gundam universe,) Texhnolyze, Boogiepop Phantom, Tekkonkinkreet, Mind Game, The Wind Rises (Miyazaki's swan song, imo,) Perfect Blue (and all things Satoshi Kon,) Bakemonogatari, Penguindrum, Madoka, Utena, Shin Sekai Yori, Tamala 2010, Kino's Journey, Ergo Proxy, 5 cm/s, Psycho-Pass (season 1,) Haibane Renmei, Jinrui wa suitai Shimasta, Natsume, Mu-fuckin-shishi, Nichijou, Blood: The Last Vampire (everything I wish Blood+ had been,) Geass, Planetes, Pale Cocoon, Arakawa Under The Bridge, Black Lagoon, GTO, Jojo (the modern series, first arc/season,) Noir,Hellsing OVA's and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom... ...just to name a few.

I know I'm missing a lot that I've deeply enjoyed over the years, but this list probably paints a good enough picture.

Last edited:

DaBuddhaVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I tend to gravitate towards stuff that's weird, dark, experimental, or filmic. Pulpy action is fun on occasion. Fantasy surprises me sometimes, too. Sci-fi is my favorite.
Haha, I feel the same way. But now I'm really just watching anime w/ comedy. I find them a bit more relaxing without having to read too much of the sub titles. I used to really like mecha anime. Well I still do, but I really hate it when whole episodes just get too boring and technical.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha, I feel the same way. But now I'm really just watching anime w/ comedy. I find them a bit more relaxing without having to read too much of the sub titles.
Yeah, I get like that sometimes, too. Those silly, situational, fanservicey-shows have their place.
I used to really like mecha anime. Well I still do, but I really hate it when whole episodes just get too boring and technical.
Yeah, it's a big problem in genres such as mecha and sci-fi. Some writers really do not understand when to show instead of tell. Explaining everything in a scene with a few people not doing much is not good worldbuilding in my book. It's just plain lazy.

My two main issues with mecha shows these days are the prevalence of inexplicable gary stu archetypes, and just... ...the way mechas are animated. I have never seen a 3d CGI mecha that did not look more like a plastic toy than the actual toys modeled after them did. I really miss the super detailed, badass, hand-drawn mechas. Sometimes I'll start watching a mecha show and start getting super pumped when I see how sick they look in the non-action scenes, when they actually bother to draw them. And then my hopes are squashed when see them in action in bad 3d form... ...takes me right out of it. I'm not gonna sit through 26 episodes of "Child-prodigy Gary-Stu knocks down bowling pins in giant plastic toy."

DaBuddhaVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, I get like that sometimes, too. Those silly, situational, fanservicey-shows have their place.

Yeah, it's a big problem in genres such as mecha and sci-fi. Some writers really do not understand when to show instead of tell. Explaining everything in a scene with a few people not doing much is not good worldbuilding in my book. It's just plain lazy.

My two main issues with mecha shows these days are the prevalence of inexplicable gary stu archetypes, and just... ...the way mechas are animated. I have never seen a 3d CGI mecha that did not look more like a plastic toy than the actual toys modeled after them did. I really miss the super detailed, badass, hand-drawn mechas. Sometimes I'll start watching a mecha show and start getting super pumped when I see how sick they look in the non-action scenes, when they actually bother to draw them. And then my hopes are squashed when see them in action in bad 3d form... ...takes me right out of it. I'm not gonna sit through 26 episodes of "Child-prodigy Gary-Stu knocks down bowling pins in giant plastic toy."
Haha, yup. Took the words right out of my mouth. I'll stick with the non-3d cgi mecha anime. lol

dionysuskiss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry, I'm late for the party. Anime/manga fan here. Favorite genres are comedy, action, sci-fi/fantasy, historic, shoujo (I'm a girl, I'm allowed), horror, etc. Just about anything but mecha. Mech is boring to me (with a very small list of exceptions).
What new anime is everyone looking forward to? I can't wait for the 2nd season of Noragami to come out,this fall.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Only comic I have read as a adult is Groo the Wanderer by Sergio Aragonés.....Really funny and clever comic
1349564-groo.gif

Last edited:

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What new anime is everyone looking forward to? I can't wait for the 2nd season of Noragami to come out,this fall.

Although it is not the same :D I manage to go through all episodes of Eureka Seven and I am just waiting for some free time to binge watch Eureka Seven AO .

dionysuskiss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Although it is not the same :D I manage to go through all episodes of Eureka Seven and I am just waiting for some free time to binge watch Eureka Seven AO .
I understand. I have so many series on my queue that I've started, but have yet to finish. The latest is Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo (Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches). It's an awesome manga, but I've only been able to watch the first 3 episodes. Gonna try to watch some tonight.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
...ummm. You see... ...sigh. *rubs back of neck pensively* Well, not touching that one. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions about it when you watch it. I will say that the first series was awesome.

As far as stuff coming out now goes, I wanna get started on God Eater. Don't know if it'll be any good, but I bet it'll look good cuz it's ufotable. I'm a little upset with them for what they did to fate zero. The action scenes were amazingly well-done though. I'm not exactly looking forward to it, but it's like the one thing on the summer charts I'm even remotely interested in.

I'm much more hyped for the Psycho-Pass movie and especially Mushishi's final installment. Also, Little Witch Academia sequel, anyone?

Now fall stuff...

...can't wait for Owarimonogatari. I shamelessly adore that franchise. It's become very near and dear to me. New Lupin III. Duh. I'm curious about Kowabon. I must be one of the few who thinks the rotoscoping in Flowers of Evil perfectly accentuated the tone of the story. It was supposed to be uncanny and a bit off-putting, afaic. Gyakusatsu Kikan seems like it's gonna be right up my alley. Same with Harmony and Sheisa no Tekoku, really.

...and yes, Noragami. I liked it enough the first time around.

Fall is looking pretty good. Maybe I won't get seasonal depression this fall.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will give AO a chance, until episode 5 I didn't think that Eureka Seven was good, but I gave it a chance too. Although you are not the first one that has warned me about AO.

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yay! An anime thread!
Some favorites include Steins:Gate, DRRR!, The Kagerou Project, Bakamonogatari, FMA (all), bleach, Dragonball and Z - not so much GT..., SAO etc...
I've watched many more and am always open to suggestions - i see there have been numerous references within this thread so thanks everybody [:=
As for the subdub battle - I find it best to try and experience both as both usually have different things to offer though I frequently tend to favor the subd
Also, Owarimonogatari? kweh?

Sent from my CM 12.One using Tapatalk

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
...ummm. You see... ...sigh. *rubs back of neck pensively* Well, not touching that one. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions about it when you watch it. I will say that the first series was awesome.

As far as stuff coming out now goes, I wanna get started on God Eater. Don't know if it'll be any good, but I bet it'll look good cuz it's ufotable. I'm a little upset with them for what they did to fate zero. The action scenes were amazingly well-done though. I'm not exactly looking forward to it, but it's like the one thing on the summer charts I'm even remotely interested in.

I'm much more hyped for the Psycho-Pass movie and especially Mushishi's final installment. Also, Little Witch Academia sequel, anyone?

Now fall stuff...

...can't wait for Owarimonogatari. I shamelessly adore that franchise. It's become very near and dear to me. New Lupin III. Duh. I'm curious about Kowabon. I must be one of the few who thinks the rotoscoping in Flowers of Evil perfectly accentuated the tone of the story. It was supposed to be uncanny and a bit off-putting, afaic. Gyakusatsu Kikan seems like it's gonna be right up my alley. Same with Harmony and Sheisa no Tekoku, really.

...and yes, Noragami. I liked it enough the first time around.

Fall is looking pretty good. Maybe I won't get seasonal depression this fall.

Reading a majority of this reminds me that I missed a lot of the summer anime that I should've probably be looking for and since I haven't really looked at the list for fall I'm missing out a decent amount again as well. My life has been getting decently busy of late so I haven't as much time as I would like to go and watch a bunch of it. (Actually being active isn't that bad for me since I'm trying to lose weight but I haven't been able to watch anime as much. :()

I'll have to look up a good amount of the fall ones you mentioned to see what I think about those.

Now as for the Gundam universe...it'll take a awhile to fully go through and piece it all together on the timeline side of things. The storyline is very extensive depending on the Century or Era the specific anime is in. Now watching all of it would take a loooooooooooong time to do which makes me glad I've been watching it a lot over the years so I already know where everything is for the most part. If you think you'd really want to get into it and backtrack the whole franchise then be my guess but I'd look at this first: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Gundam_Wiki:Timelines

That will at least give you more of an understanding where each series is pertaining to what Century or Era its tied around. The franchise can be very complicated at times...let me tell you.

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I completely forgot to mention Gundam wing, seed, etc...!

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I saw the first ten episodes of Black Lagoon and it is incredible, are there more like it ?

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I mean if there are more anime series like it ? With the same blunt brutality and no strange super powers, only guns, violence and pragmatism.

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I second "Baccano!" - "Ouu a machine gun!" *runs towards its sound faster*

Vaping_Vixen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Talking about cartoons I got to relieve my childhood today woke up to Jem on TV and I was awake at that point, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, since Baccano has popped up several times in the discussion already it is going to be my next obsession (as long as I have time for it) :D

Vaping_Vixen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, since Baccano has popped up several times in the discussion already it is going to be my next obsession (as long as I have time for it) :D

Make time, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, yeah , my gf is going visiting her parents soon and I am planning to invest my free time on binge worthy anime series :D

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, yeah , my gf is going visiting her parents soon and I am planning to invest my free time on binge worthy anime series :D
Well if you're going to do it with Baccano then you're going to have lots of fun. :D

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Favorite Baccano! character?
Mines Ladd Russo for obvious reasons lol

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Favorite Baccano! character?
Mines Ladd Russo for obvious reasons lol

I'd have to say Firo, Luck Gandor, Isaac & Miria (cause I think they're funny), and Felix Walken.

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Issac & Maria are definitely my second choice lol

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Guys, this is plain cruel :D. I mean it's like looking at a cake through a window, even if you know that you are going to eventually try the cake the wait is not fun at all :(

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Guys, this is plain cruel :D. I mean it's like looking at a cake through a window, even if you know that you are going to eventually try the cake the wait is not fun at all :(
Well I mean...I could just ruin the whole series for you but that's just cruel and unusual punishment in my eyes. :D :p

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, I watched all of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood episodes, and it is incredible. I will be starting Baccano! now, but let me ask you: are the the first Full Metal Alchemist worth it ? I mean the one that I heard was much more darker and was aired before Brotherhood ?

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, I watched all of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood episodes, and it is incredible. I will be starting Baccano! now, but let me ask you: are the the first Full Metal Alchemist worth it ? I mean the one that I heard was much more darker and was aired before Brotherhood ?
I've never really been a fan of FMA in any way, shape, or form so I can't really give you an opinion on either series. For me it was one of those shows that I either had on in the background as noise or a show I could mindlessly watch and be mildly entertained.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Has anyone been watching any good anime lately?

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mirai Nikki looks pretty good

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll have to give it a look. I've been too busy playing Phantasy Star Online 2 of recent so anime has been completely out of the picture. :D

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you've seen Brotherhood, then nah. It was aired before Brotherhood, but Brotherhood follows the same plot, only it actually finishes it. The animation is worlds better on Brotherhood, as well. It's funny you've heard that the original was darker. I think Brotherhood was darker simply because everything was more fleshed-out.

I dunno, though. It might be interesting to see the differences in portrayal during certain scenes. You'll see a lot of familiar ones in the initial series. Might be worth watching if you ever feel like re-watching brotherhood. I haven't seen the first series in years, myself, but I remember that it wasn't bad by any measure.

Has anyone been watching any good anime lately?
I just finished both seasons of Space Dandy. I was surprised at the depth in the meta-ness of it. Like they really went all out with the references and homages, but a lot of it was done in a surprisingly meaningful way. I thought it was gonna be a show about nothing. It really was, but yet completely was not that. I feel like a person with little anime knowledge could enjoy it just as much, even if they're missing 90% of the call-backs and love-letters, tbh. I marathoned them both in two sittings. Might be one of the best shows I've seen in a good while.

Last edited:

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you've seen Brotherhood, then nah. It was aired before Brotherhood, but Brotherhood follows the same plot, only it actually finishes it. The animation is worlds better on Brotherhood, as well. It's funny you've heard that the original was darker. I think Brotherhood was darker simply because everything was more fleshed-out.

I dunno, though. It might be interesting to see the differences in portrayal during certain scenes. You'll see a lot of familiar ones in the initial series. Might be worth watching if you ever feel like re-wag brotherhood. I haven't seen the first series in years, myself, but I remember that it wasn't bad by any measure.

I just finished both seasons of Space Dandy. I was surprised at the depth in the meta-ness of it. Like they really went all out with the references and homages, but a lot of it was done in a surprisingly meaningful way. I thought it was gonna be a show about nothing. It really was, but yet completely was not that. I marathoned them both in two sittings. Might be one of the best shows I've seen in a good while.
I was thinking about Space Dandy for the time being since I know I could marathon watch it. I'm going to see what others I can possibly add to the list of ones I either need/want to watch here in the near future.

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like both versions of FMA for what they are. In my opinion Brotherhood is clearly superior in many ways but the other one has it's perks as well (for instance, you get much more Hughes).
Brotherhood hits the feels much harder in certain places and has a far more detailed (and conclusive) ending.
Also, in regards to the movies - Sacred Star of Milos falls somewhere within the first 20ish episodes of Brotherhood whereas Conqueror of Shamballa finishes the original series. (Please correct me if I'm in err with any of this)
To conclude, it might be better to watch the original anime prior to seeing brotherhood (as i did) but they both have elements within them making them worth watching

FMA:B Sloth - "Such a pain..." Lol

Sent from my CM 12.One using Tapatalk [:=

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was thinking about Space Dandy for the time being since I know I could marathon watch it. I'm going to see what others I can possibly add to the list of ones I either need/want to watch here in the near future.
I think it's a great series to get into if you're having a hard time getting yourself to actually sit down and watch something new. It's probably not a bad idea to save it for when you're running out of stuff to watch. It's good for cleansing the palette.

Also, almost forgot... ...Gakkou Gurashi has been so, so very unexpectedly great thus far. I didn't know what I was watching at first, so I thought I was watching the most boring slice-of-life show that has ever been created. That's probably why episode 2 was so amazing. It's actually really clever and fucked-up! It's not a shocking or disturbing kind of "fucked-up," but rather something more sinister and looming. If they can keep it up for the whole series, this show will be a winner in my book.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think it's a great series to get into if you're having a hard time getting yourself to actually sit down and watch something new. It's probably not a bad idea to save it for when you're running out of stuff to watch. It's good for cleansing the palette.

Also, almost forgot... ...Gakkou Gurashi has been so, so very unexpectedly great thus far. I didn't know what I was watching at first, so I thought I was watching the most boring slice-of-life show that has ever been created. That's probably why episode 2 was so amazing. It's actually really clever and fucked-up! It's not a shocking or disturbing kind of "fucked-up," but rather something more sinister and looming. If they can keep it up for the whole series, this show will be a winner in my book.
Good to know. Gakkougurashi! looks like a lot of shows I've seen before that I've enjoyed (despite not remembering the names of them) so I will give it a look. :D

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am not sure, but I think that someone here , recommended Gangsta. , which as it turned out is really great. It really reminds me of Black Lagoon, but it is a bit more gritty and dark, at least for the first 3 episodes, since this is all I have watched.

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am not sure, but I think that someone here , recommended Gangsta. , which as it turned out is really great. It really reminds me of Black Lagoon, but it is a bit more gritty and dark, at least for the first 3 episodes, since this is all I have watched.
I just looked up GANGSTA. it looks amazing. If I get a chance I'll watch it soon, that's for sure. I loved Black Lagoon so if it reminds me of that then I can't wait to watch it.
I'm actually really happy that the studio that did Samurai Champloo is behind it. That makes me want to watch it even more. :D

Last edited:

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just started Deathnote...... Why the heck haven't I seen/read this by now?!? It's quite awesome and has those cheesy humor moments that I love oh so much
Also, is 'is this a zombie' any good?

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just started Deathnote...... Why the heck haven't I seen/read this by now?!? It's quite awesome and has those cheesy humor moments that I love oh so much
Also, is 'is this a zombie' any good?

Deathnote was amazing until L died in my opinion.

As for the other anime I kind of want to watch it now cause I looked at the story and it's effin' hilarious. Apparently there's a series after the first 12 episodes called Is This a Zombie? of the Dead. :D

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ahhhh spoiler alert! I'm only a few episodes into it lol
And yeah I read somewhere there's a second series/season of ITAZ

Morfio

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ahhhh spoiler alert! I'm only a few episodes into it lol
And yeah I read somewhere there's a second series/season of ITAZ

Sorry! I didn't mean to spoil it for you. [>.<]

ITAZ looks like a pretty promising anime though.

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol no biggie [;= and I think I might check it out

VU Sponsors