Comics/Cartoons/Anime

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just started Deathnote...... Why the heck haven't I seen/read this by now?!? It's quite awesome and has those cheesy humor moments that I love oh so much
Also, is 'is this a zombie' any good?

Sent from my CM 12.One using Tapatalk [:=

A friend of mine was out of town and borrowed me his laptop , containing most of his anime collections. I had heard about Death Note so I found that folder and opened it. It turned out that it was a digitalised translation of the manga. Despite that it is a bit awkward to read manga on PC I decided to give it a try and ended up staying up until 6 am on the net morning, when I finally finished the manga. And it is incredibly good.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Deathnote was amazing until L died in my opinion.
Yeah, that was pretty much where it peaked-out for me, as well. I would have been more satisfied if they had just ended it right there. The whole near arc felt really forced.

Speaking of Death Note, anybody checked out the 2015 live action adaptation? I've heard it's actually not bad.

Gangsta isn't doing it for me, for some reason. I really want to enjoy it, but at the end of the day, it falls flat. The pay-offs never quite live up to the setups.

Morfio

Gaming & anime watchin' lion here!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, that was pretty much where it peaked-out for me, as well. I would have been more satisfied if they had just ended it right there. The whole near arc felt really forced.

Speaking of Death Note, anybody checked out the 2015 live action adaptation? I've heard it's actually not bad.

Gangsta isn't doing it for me, for some reason. I really want to enjoy it, but at the end of the day, it falls flat. The pay-offs never quite live up to the setups.

The main thing for me when it comes to GANSTA. is that it makes me miss Black Lagoon more but I like that. It'll definitely make me go watch it again. I want to watch all 12 episodes for GANGSTA. before I fully make an opinion on it. I don't feel that basing off a little bit of the series is entirely accurate unless it's like that to the end.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The main thing for me when it comes to GANSTA. is that it makes me miss Black Lagoon more but I like that. It'll definitely make me go watch it again.
Ahh, yeah, I can understand that. And on the flipside, perhaps Black Lagoon and Baccano are informing my opinions a bit too much and taking away from my ability to enjoy it. I get the impression that if this was the first series I saw done in such a way, I'd probably have a lot of good things to say about it. But having seen stuff like that as well as stuff like Darker than Black and Kara no Kyoukai, it just doesn't have anything new to offer me... ...and what it does have to offer has been done better in those four shows, imo.

It's hard to distance yourself from those sorts of observations.
I want to watch all 12 episodes for GANGSTA. before I fully make an opinion on it. I don't feel that basing off a little bit of the series is entirely accurate unless it's like that to the end.
Fair enough. I'm just not sure if I'll finish it based on what I've seen so far. I wouldn't say it's bad. For what it's worth, it's a solid effort. I can't fault it for being exactly what it's meant to be.

I'm just not getting a whole lot of enjoyment out of it atm. It's kind of boring me. I'm not as interested in it as I thought I would be. I don't have much to say about it, good or bad. And if I don't finish it, then my views on it will remain as just that.

I give every show that I take up a fair chance to capture my interest, but if it doesn't manage to do so by the time I've gotten a bearing on what it's about and what it's trying to do, then I make a judgement call on whether or not to drop it.

There's too much out there to watch for me to sit and watch something that's doing nothing for me. I will never say that those shows are bad. I agree that it's not accurate or particularly meaningful to engage in that approach. The weight of opinions are based largely on how well-informed they are. Just because a show doesn't suit my sensibilities enough for me to finish it doesn't mean I think it's bad. I don't have have enough information to support the latter viewpoint, so I won't go there.

Morfio

Gaming & anime watchin' lion here!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ahh, yeah, I can understand that. And on the flipside, perhaps Black Lagoon and Baccano are informing my opinions a bit too much and taking away from my ability to enjoy it. I get the impression that if this was the first series I saw done in such a way, I'd probably have a lot of good things to say about it. But having seen stuff like that as well as stuff like Darker than Black and Kara no Kyoukai, it just doesn't have anything new to offer me... ...and what it does have to offer has been done better in those four shows, imo.

It's hard to distance yourself from those sorts of observations.

Fair enough. I'm just not sure if I'll finish it based on what I've seen so far. I wouldn't say it's bad. For what it's worth, it's a solid effort. I can't fault it for being exactly what it's meant to be.

I'm just not getting a whole lot of enjoyment out of it atm. It's kind of boring me. I'm not as interested in it as I thought I would be. I don't have much to say about it, good or bad. And if I don't finish it, then my views on it will remain as just that.

I give every show that I take up a fair chance to capture my interest, but if it doesn't manage to do so by the time I've gotten a bearing on what it's about and what it's trying to do, then I make a judgement call on whether or not to drop it.

There's too much out there to watch for me to sit and watch something that's doing nothing for me. I will never say that those shows are bad. I agree that it's not accurate or particularly meaningful to engage in that approach. The weight of opinions are based largely on how well-informed they are. Just because a show doesn't suit my sensibilities enough for me to finish it doesn't mean I think it's bad. I don't have have enough information to support the latter viewpoint, so I won't go there.

At that point it just sounds like you're hard to please because you've seen too many done in the same way.

Usually for me I can watch it regardless. I try to not cut anything out when it comes to anime. I think the bad thing for anime now is that most of it isn't that original anymore. Most of it has been done at least once in a similar way somewhere down the line.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At that point it just sounds like you're hard to please because you've seen too many done in the same way.
Can't deny that. I'm generally picky and hard to please. I'm impatient and perhaps a bit too sensitive to stagnation.

Usually for me I can watch it regardless. I try to not cut anything out when it comes to anime. I think the bad thing for anime now is that most of it isn't that original anymore. Most of it has been done at least once in a similar way somewhere down the line.
See, I tend to agree, but I don't know if it's a bad thing or not. I can say that it bugs me a lot when I see lots of cookie cutter shows with bastardized character designs and tired plot elements. They're trying to please their audiences by giving them what they like, but it really shows when this is the primary goal. When you have no vision and try to make a show just based on what people like, the quality of your work will suffer. It won't be memorable. It'll just be another one of "those" shows.

I don't think a show needs to be completely original to be engaging, though. It's sort of like that old adage about music: every possible combination of notes and rhythm have been put together at some point and all music is therefore derivative. Everything is ripping off or paying homage to something else. However there is an infinite number of ways to approach composition and style. All of the core attributes can be the same, but it doesn't have to sound like anything else, if that makes sense. How the composer goes about solving the problems they present can give their music distinction. This is why some artists have a sound that's unmistakable, even if it clearly plays heavily on influences and genre norms and does little else to distinguish itself from them.

I think it's the same with anime. A show could be derivative in every conceivable way and still stand as a unique entity in its own right. The difference between a show that's soulless and one that truly shines among its peers can be boiled down to two things: approach and execution. There's no reason why new things can't be done with old concepts. This is how new genres and styles can be birthed from well-established norms.

There are directors out there who are adored not necessarily because anything they do is unique, but because the way they do it distinguishes their works from those of others who do very similar things. The way that they interpret and aggregate preexisting attributes and concepts is what makes them stand out and gives their works a polish that other shows lack. They're presenting things that are immediately familiar to you as only they can see them. It leaves the impression that there is greater intent behind it all... ...that it has its own vision.

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did Roy Mustang make a cameo appearance in bleach? Lol episode 302
e06569678d7b4f1bc723790b94f254b0.jpg

Sent from my CM 12.One using Tapatalk [:=

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've come again :D But this time I am asking for a comics recommendations :D . Something different from the regular run of the mill superhero comics. Any suggestions ?

VU Sponsors