Become a Patron!

Creating a (wet) vape to avoid dry flavor

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok I have been making my own juice for quit some time now. I make all my juices 30/70 pg/vg. However a friend tried some of my juice and they love it. (As many others do too) however I was informed that is DRY giving them dry mouth. How should I proceed in adding more moisture to the vape.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the forum!

A respected (albeit inactive) member, we2rcool made the following observation after extensive testing of the inclusion of a 9% sterile saline solution in their e-liquids: "The flavors are much more *alive*, the dry mouth is lessened, and the final juice is MUCH easier on coils/wicks!"

I have yet to mix the more complex base (which includes PGA and distilled water as well as saline) but intend to do so. WTH, it's worth a try. If you do so, Butterworth, just be certain to use a sterile saline solution. :)

Have fun & keep on vapin'!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to the forum!

A respected (albeit inactive) member, we2rcool made the following observation after extensive testing of the inclusion of a 9% sterile saline solution in their e-liquids: "The flavors are much more *alive*, the dry mouth is lessened, and the final juice is MUCH easier on coils/wicks!"

I have yet to mix the more complex base (which includes PGA and distilled water as well as saline) but intend to do so. WTH, it's worth a try. If you do so, Butterworth, just be certain to use a sterile saline solution. :)

Second time today, that I read "PGA". WTF is it?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the forum!

you are saying that to put 9% of salt water in with your ejuice? salt water dehydrates a person how could this help?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Pure Grain Alcohol, aka Everclear. Except here in Cali we can only get the 151 proof version. Other states can get 190 proof.
And why would I put that in my liquid? As a thinner for high VG?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok I have been making my own juice for quit some time now. I make all my juices 30/70 pg/vg. However a friend tried some of my juice and they love it. (As many others do too) however I was informed that is DRY giving them dry mouth. How should I proceed in adding more moisture to the vape.
Maybe drinking more water would help!? :)

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
you are saying that to put 9% of salt water in with your ejuice? salt water dehydrates a person how could this help?

As I said in the earlier post, I have yet to try it myself so I cannot speak personally regarding the effect. That said, you knew we2rcool when they we around, didn't you? Their testing was legendary.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did try the saline suggestion back when it was being discussed. I didn't care for what it did to my coils:p

I suspect dryness may be more due to the flavorings used or their combination, but ymmv!

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did try the saline suggestion back when it was being discussed. I didn't care for what it did to my coils:p

My experience exactly ... I tried to use it too but the only real effect I noticed was how fast it caused my coils to junk up!!

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

In this regard, here are a couple of other quotes, uncredited as I didn't get specific permission but you'd know the names from here at VU.

" I mix my VG base up ~240ml at a time, my most recent mix I decided to skip the saline to see if I notice any difference. I have not noticed* any difference in flavor, for the most part I've only mixed FA tobaccos. I have noticed; more dry mouth/sinuses, throat seems a little sore at times, and cleaner coils. I think I will likely go back to using saline at ~4% in my VG base, the cleaner coils are nice but this winter when the weather dries out saline is a must for me.~ "

"“I have usepreservative free NaClin my DIY for 3 years with out problems. I mix like I cook. When you bake, a salt lifts the chocolates, vanillas and adds depth. NaCl does the same. I have 510,901 and 801 attys that are older than a year and I use tanks with Boge and DC cartos without a problem. When a mix seems perfect except it seems to be "just missing something" it is the salt. My experience has been the opposite of your assumptions about NaCl. This can be purchased at any medical supply or pharmacy and I use generally a dropper 5mls for bakery/sweets and higher for choc covered pretzels or other salt needed mixes. Pie crust is not pie crust without salt IMHO."

“About the Salt. If you are going to use it, use the NaCl 0.05% that you get from a pharmacy. Don't go mixing iodized salt, table salt, rock salt or kosher salt. The Sodium Chloride from a pharmacy is the same liquid that has been used for decades in Respiratory Therapy treatments and is perfectly safe.”

Best always! :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Normal Saline Solution is 0.9%, not 9%

I've tried this, never noticed any improvements in my juice, but also learned about it from we2. How I wish they2 would pop in from time to time!! Everyone's tastes are different, so it might help ya out. I had an issue with coils, too, from using it.

Some say Marshmallow moistens up a vape. I've tried this with coconut, because a coconut vape is kinda dry to me. Helped some, not dramatically.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Normal Saline Solution is 0.9%, not 9%

I've tried this, never noticed any improvements in my juice, but also learned about it from we2. How I wish they2 would pop in from time to time!! Everyone's tastes are different, so it might help ya out. I had an issue with coils, too, from using it.

Some say Marshmallow moistens up a vape. I've tried this with coconut, because a coconut vape is kinda dry to me. Helped some, not dramatically.

Yeah, as many do, I really miss 'em. :(

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the forum!

As some have stated in a recent post "you are saying that to put 9% of salt water in with your ejuice? salt water dehydrates a person how could this help?"
MrScaryZ. However, coming from a cooking background it makes since!!! think about it Peanut butter and Jelly, snickers bars, Peanut brittle etc. (salty and sweet) the list goes on for deserts. i pick some up on the way home from work and will test tonight.
BUT the dilemma is this..

I need to keep a 30/70 (PG/VG) structure

3% cream
3% cream
5% flav 1
2% custard
10% flav 2
1.5% flav 3
these are pg based flavors

so should i sacrifice 9% split among all flavors being used to keep it at the correct levels..
what would you recommend?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
As some have stated in a recent post "you are saying that to put 9% of salt water in with your ejuice? salt water dehydrates a person how could this help?"
MrScaryZ. However, coming from a cooking background it makes since!!! think about it Peanut butter and Jelly, snickers bars, Peanut brittle etc. (salty and sweet) the list goes on for deserts. i pick some up on the way home from work and will test tonight.

3% cream
3% cream
5% flav 1
2% custard
10% flav 2
1.5% flav 3

so should i sacrifice 9% split among all flavors being used to keep it at the correct levels..
I assume, the 10% flav 2 is TFA. I used to have a mix that had lots of TFA flavor in it. It was kind of "dry". Now, I mainly use FA flavors. Haven't had a problem yet.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

The way I did it ( which was also the same as we2rcool ) was by adding it to the VG only portion of my base mix.

ETA: Also, it should be noted that the VG mix consisted of only 4% of the 0.9% Saline solution ... not 9 % of the total finished product. They ( we2rcool ) also added 14% distilled water and 2% Pure Grain Alcohol to make up that complete VG mix.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

3% cream
3% cream
5% flav 1
2% custard
10% flav 2
1.5% flav 3

DO NOT MIX A 9% SOLUTION. You can get the correct 0.9% at a pharmacy. ZERO POINT NINE. Trust me.

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I assume, the 10% flav 2 is TFA. I used to have a mix that had lots of TFA flavor in it. It was kind of "dry". Now, I mainly use FA flavors. Haven't had a problem yet.
Yes it is a TFA flavor although i need to drop it to about 7%

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I edited my post above with a little more detail ... should have included that to begin with. :(

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The way I did it ( which was also the same as we2rcool ) was by adding it to the VG only portion of my base mix.

ETA: Also, it should be noted that the VG mix consisted of only 4% of the 0.9% Saline solution ... not 9 % of the total finished product. They ( we2rcool ) also added 14% distilled water and 2% Pure Grain Alcohol to make up that complete VG mix.
Yes but by doing this im losing vapor production. and creating throat hit which is what im not after.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You don't have to use the distilled water and/or PGA, that's just what we2rcool recommended and what they did. I just wanted to make sure that it was clear that it was 4% of only the VG portion rather than the total mix. :)

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You don't have to use the distilled water and/or PGA, that's just what we2rcool recommended and what they did. I just wanted to make sure that it was clear that it was 4% of only the VG portion rather than the total mix. :)
Noted. i will repost my findings tomorrow.

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep, it goes in the base with the PG/VG/Nic and whatever else (PGA, Distilled water).
Ty. i love sweet dessert flavors and hate to have it dry as well as my friends that love what i make. i currently have 120 flavors on hand and am trying to find a sweet dessert to create using Vanilla Cupcake TFA

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The saline may be a solution but that's what experimentation will determine. Huckleberried suggestion regarding marshmallow is another possibility. Have fun finding out! :)

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The saline may be a solution but that's what experimentation will determine. Huckleberried suggestion regarding marshmallow is another possibility. Have fun finding out! :)
I have three variations sitting here that i have made. my only conclusion is that maybe the one flavor that im using at 10% is adding the (dryness)..

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update! after Taking suggestions to reduce the (dry) taste of flavor using saline solution (medical grade). I had done three separate bottles with different
% added to vg.
test1
2% SS/VG = no increase in flavor. dryness is still present
4% SS/VG = a sparkle of flavor increase. dryness sightly removed.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Google is your friend :p
dammitjim.png

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

3% cream
3% cream
5% flav 1
2% custard
10% flav 2
1.5% flav 3

I don't know about Saline making it wet but it does make since have the salt work with flavors thanks for the reminder

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know about Saline making it wet but it does make since have the salt work with flavors thanks for the reminder
I did another test with different recipe. And that's correct 4% SS/VG added does increase flavor slightly but as far as being a wet vape it's hard to conclude. Since pg is the enemy at stealing moisture.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did another test with different recipe. And that's correct 4% SS/VG added does increase flavor slightly but as far as being a wet vape it's hard to conclude. Since pg is the enemy at stealing moisture.
Yeah I try to keep my PG to at the highest 30% nowadays I used to have all kinds of issues

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I try to keep my PG to at the highest 30% nowadays I used to have all kinds of issues
I have also noticed that when using a jigh percentage of one flavor will create a dryness as well. And some flavors inparticular will do the same at low percentages. 30/70 pg/vg seem to be working well. Although I wish I could purchase flavoring with no pg. And buy water based flavorings.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have also noticed that when using a jigh percentage of one flavor will create a dryness as well. And some flavors inparticular will do the same at low percentages. 30/70 pg/vg seem to be working well. Although I wish I could purchase flavoring with no pg. And buy water based flavorings.
I actually have a theory about this but its so crazy that if I bring it up there will be chaos .. I am this week experimenting right now I have this insanely wet gooey vape going and if I said how I did it..Everyone would think me crazier then I am already labeled.. :)
Madness.jpg

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I actually have a theory about this but its so crazy that if I bring it up there will be chaos .. I am this week experimenting right now I have this insanely wet gooey vape going and if I said how I did it..Everyone would think me crazier then I am already labeled.. :)
Madness.jpg
I wouldn't it's crazy thinking that makes success..

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't it's crazy thinking that makes success..
I believe that the Base has much to do with this Wetness and how it is vaporized I cannot prove this all I can say is if
I mix lets say a Custard with lets say some kind of cream then on top of that add lets say a contrast agent like a Tiramisu then some fruits its funny how this seem to be wet when vaping.. Now on the other hand if I would have just taken lets say a fruit mixed it with a Cream it does not..
Just some thouhts.. Now again I am probably insane

VU Sponsors