Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
giphy.gif

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I woke up shivering early this morning, power went out during the night. It was 28* inside! (I'm in a mobile home, insulation isn't much) Ok, long johns, sweats, wool socks, coat and hat, gloves and scarf. No coffee! Power company said it would on by 1:30, nope. Jessie and I are under the sherpa blanket thawing out, power just came on 15 minutes ago. Sipping coffee as I type.... I'm in SE New Mexico, hot country! I'm not supposed to be a popsicle!

Stay safe and healthy, and warm! :hug: :inlove:🥶

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not a good day.

Today, I lost an uncle to brain cancer. Yeah. That hurt.

Tonight, we got rain that brought in an ugly surprise. An asphalt tanker truck parked a block away is leaking. Our front yard is currently turning black from the oils being washed downhill. I guess I won't be mowing the front lawn ever again. I also wonder how much I'll be charged for hauling off the trees we will have to cut down. Bet your ass I'll remind them it's their fault the trees died. My neighbor friends will follow suit on this when their trees have to be cut down and hauled off. They may even get together to sue over lost property value due to lawn, tree, and bush destruction.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I woke up shivering early this morning, power went out during the night. It was 28* inside! (I'm in a mobile home, insulation isn't much) Ok, long johns, sweats, wool socks, coat and hat, gloves and scarf. No coffee! Power company said it would on by 1:30, nope. Jessie and I are under the sherpa blanket thawing out, power just came on 15 minutes ago. Sipping coffee as I type.... I'm in SE New Mexico, hot country! I'm not supposed to be a popsicle!

Once you prepare well, ironically it will probably never happen again where you live, but the thing to store, as much as you can afford and find space for, is 6 hour caterers heat cans, the wick kind (safer), making sure they are indoor safe (some are not). Unopened they can be stored indoors (away from any heat source!) indefinitely. The indoor safe ones can be used for cooking a small bit, like instant coffee, a couple of eggs, a grilled cheese, packet of instant oatmeal.

Anyway, you can make a small, very effective heater out of anything metal, pierced and hollow, using three cans of 6-hour caterers heat, but know what you are doing. Safety first. Three of the 6 hour heat cans contained together inside your makeshift heater will keep you toasty warm overnight and you'll wake up warm, but you may want to camp indoors by creating a small tented space under a table, with sleeping bags, if your ceilings are high or your house is drafty. This will only work in a small room or a tented space.

See my post December 13, 2022 on the "Latest Purchase" thread. I have tested the heating in my small bedroom with 9 ft. ceiling, tested the cooking, and it works.

I trust things are back to normal now. I hope so.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This morning, hubby got ahold of the contractor the spill came from, and forced them to come over and at least clean up as much of their mess as they could. At least we can now walk to the mailbox and vehicles without worrying about tracking asphalt oils back into the house.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
DItto what he said...hope you're warmed up now!!

We are looking at snow here soon, mebbe a foot of it next week.
I don't mind...but lotta folks here ain't used to it. Gonna be a lot of crashes and stuck ppl. Hopefully no power outages...but I got candles and a hand grinder for coffee... ;)
i miss snow so much. 1981 was last time i saw it.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Yes, I did get thawed out, thanks you guys! Not a fun time but could have been worse, right? I do appreciate being warm more. I also prepped better in case it happens again.

Today is vape prep day. I need to mix some juice and make some coils. Try to keep Jessie form helping :rolleyes:
Maybe make a pot of soup and some biscuits.

Stay safe and healthy and warm :hug::inlove:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Not a good day.

Today, I lost an uncle to brain cancer. Yeah. That hurt.

Tonight, we got rain that brought in an ugly surprise. An asphalt tanker truck parked a block away is leaking. Our front yard is currently turning black from the oils being washed downhill. I guess I won't be mowing the front lawn ever again. I also wonder how much I'll be charged for hauling off the trees we will have to cut down. Bet your ass I'll remind them it's their fault the trees died. My neighbor friends will follow suit on this when their trees have to be cut down and hauled off. They may even get together to sue over lost property value due to lawn, tree, and bush destruction.
sorry to hear that, stay strong.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
JFYI...

From CNN...

A multi-state outbreak of salmonella has been linked to recalled Busseto Foods charcuterie meats, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a food safety alert on Friday.

Twenty-four illnesses, including five hospitalizations, have been reported in 14 states: Arizona, Connecticut, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin. No deaths have been reported.

Testing by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture found salmonella bacteria in unopened samples of Busseto Foods Charcuterie Samplers with prosciutto, sweet soppressata and dry coppa. More testing is underway to determine if the bacteria matches the outbreak strain, and which meat product was contaminated.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Had appointment with neurologist for migraines. Let him know about sciatica getting worse than normal. Waiting for call about MRI scheduling.

Washing machine died last night. Had to wake up hubby early to go pick up one I bought off marketplace. Might be waiting til after the deep freeze before installing it.

Got the outside plants watered and covered to protect them. This freeze is supposed to drop Temps down to 10°F before its over. I'm happy there's no mosquitoes. I don't need that kind of cold.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First real winter storm here..ppl are freakin' out..lol...

We got a winter storm warning, but the cold is the larger issue as wind chill is gonna be rough and power outages are expected. Hopefully, not when my KC BBQ pork roast is cooking or during the KC game. ;)
Idjits still gonna be driving like it's summer...they'll slide off and hit trees, poles, etc..sigh.. :rolleyes:

I'm only using 2 out of 3 wall-mounted forced-air heaters set to 70-ish and it's 72F in here. Milly and I are fine for the time being. Power goes...I can grind coffee by hand, dig out the big winter comforter, and pretty sure I got enough batteries for my 18650 flashlights....plus a few candles if really needed.

Screenshot from 2024-01-13 06-33-24.png

As a former INW person, this is nothing much...I stocked up on food yesterday for the weekend's football cookery and am ready.

20240112_163059.jpg

Might have to dust off the down parka though. :)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's been a long time since I'd made one, so I made a filthy dirty Martini...shaken, not stirred.

20240115_143638~2.jpg

At home. 😎🍸

Used organic Greek olives, with no pimentos....yup fancy.

That, would be about $15 at a bar....no thx...🤑

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also today.... I bought some hands-safe oven cleaner and tackled my fave old stainless steel crisper pan. That worked well.

20240115_122728.jpg

Then I tried it on the beat-up OEM black enamel burner trays with a some success. It wasn't clean when I moved in...now it is.

20240115_122618~2.jpg

20240115_122604.jpg20240115_125154.jpg
😎

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not a bad day thus far....

My poor (left behind in the new UFL) XFL Seattle Sea Dragons shirt is out for delivery, and a vintage KC Chiefs hat I got for cheap should arrive before their Divisional round game this weekend. Spiffy! :D

I also did a fairly major OS upgrade that many are having problems with....I read up, took precautions, made a backup, etc. It went off without a hitch. :cool:

Screenshot from 2024-01-16 11-49-50.png

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Yesterday I got up to 9* cold, had to go get lab work done. Without coffee. I was raised in Seattle but my blood has thinned, being down here for 29 years! I saw a guy out walking wearing just a windbreaker and sandals, why? Temps look to be rising soon, Jessie will be pleased.

I know a lot of you are so much colder, snow and ice and lousy drivers. Please stay safe! Please check in when you can.

Stay safe, and healthy and warm :hug: :hug:🥶

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi all, It's been awhile. I am finally in the new home we built and have internet access with Starlink working. I hope everyone has been doing well and had good holidays. Things still need to be done with the house but it's small little things. Like getting all the bathroom and closet rods hung, some baseboard work, some painting still to do. (little stuff) but I will keep myself busy with it.
The land here is beautiful and so so quiet.

No mail carriers will come out here so I went and got a PO Box and then one of those places you can have FedEx and UPS deliver to. I just have to go to town (about a 30 min drive) to pick up any packages. The PO box is fairly close though, only about 10 min. Getting trash pickup isn't going to happen but most of the farmers around here burn what they can, so I plan on doing that for what will burn and then either have someone come to pickup other things like once a month or make a trip to the dump for whatever I can't burn. Kind of an inconvenience but it's worth it for being way out in the middle of nowhere where things are nice and calm and quiet.
My newest pup is doing well. Elsa, who is a Kuvasz. She is now almost 8 months and already 100lbs. She sticks to me like glue and is extremely protective already. When people come to visit, she will start growling if they get too close to me. It's a bit too much honestly but as she gets a bit older she will learn what is a threat and what is not, that's the breed and the way they are. She warns is all she is doing, like she is saying, "Hey, just so you know, I am right here and if you do anything dumb to Mom, I am going to handle it"
She was with me in Durant and when the kids would come around she was always friendly to them, so again this breed does have a natural love for children which is good. My first Kuvasz was the same way.
Kitties are all good. I have 4 now as I rescued another little stray while I was still in Durant. Major, my Shep is also doing great and he loves having Elsa as a playmate. My older girl Lilah did pass right before I moved into the house. I do miss her. She was 14 and I knew it was getting close, still not a easy thing though and it took Major quite awhile to not be sad. He would mope around and lay in her spot. Elsa has really helped him get past his grief of losing his friend.

Anyway, hugs to all and I'm happy to be back!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Big ice storm over the last few days...starting to thaw now though. I'm staying inside...

Yup, that's about 1/4" of ice on the trees outside my window...that street is solid ice and some slush now it's thawing a bit. No thanks...

20240117_120006~2.jpg

Supposed to have gotten a couple of packages yesterday...not gonna anytime soon. Main arterial streets are getting better, but the side streets...Fuhgeddaboudit...

My package is stuck in a smaller town...Troutdale....
This was taken there last night...that isn't standing water...its ice. :eek:

75e55735-7064-4783-97d3-f4e4de5fb6df_1920x1080.jpg

I-84 is closed, several semis slid off the roads, lots of trees and lines down, etc. Most schools are closed, the Max transit trains in Portland are shut down, Air travel is a mess. Good thing I got foods earlier eh? ;)

But, it's gonna improve soon...

Message_1705515631011.jpg

Milly and I are good...never lost power here.
But, walking on streets that are always non-level around here...don't wanna.
Most of the stops downtown are 4-way...car cant stop...oops...

Last edited:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Big ice storm over the last few days...starting to thaw now though. I'm staying inside...

Yup, that's about 1/4" of ice on the trees outside my window...that street is solid ice and some slush now it's thawing a bit. No thanks...

View attachment 212214

Supposed to have gotten a couple of packages yesterday...not gonna anytime soon. Main arterial streets are getting better, but the side streets...Fuhgeddaboudit...

I-84 is closed, semis slid off the road, lots of trees and lines down, etc. Schools are closed, the Max transit trains in Portland are shut down, Air travel is a mess. Good thing I got foods earlier eh? ;)

But, it's gonna improve soon...

View attachment 212213

Milly and I are good...never lost power here.
gonna improve! i am so sad about missing snow ,none since 1982 only sun and and heat, i used to look at a snow covered field in england when i was a kid ,and suddenly see spots apperaring in the snow like magic! it took a long time before i realised that even though i could not see the rabbits they were there hopping around,

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
gonna improve! i am so sad about missing snow ,none since 1982 only sun and and heat, i used to look at a snow covered field in england when i was a kid ,and suddenly see spots apperaring in the snow like magic! it took a long time before i realised that even though i could not see the rabbits they were there hopping around,
I know parts of AU do get snow, just depends where ya are. A couple of buddies down in the SE have sent pics of snow..it's a riot. :)

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I know parts of AU do get snow, just depends where ya are. :)

yeah but its what we call false snow it just does not feel the same

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I know parts of AU do get snow, just depends where ya are. A couple of buddies down in the SE have sent pics of snow..it's a riot. :)

1.9 metres a year!! in north of england we got that in a night!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, and the USPS seems confused...a package actually in town at my local PO is scheduled to arrive later than one not even in this city yet...huh?

Screenshot from 2024-01-17 13-17-46.png

:crazy:

Amazon isn't fairing much better...these storms frelled all shipping...everything does last-mile on a truck..

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi all, It's been awhile. I am finally in the new home we built and have internet access with Starlink working. I hope everyone has been doing well and had good holidays. Things still need to be done with the house but it's small little things. Like getting all the bathroom and closet rods hung, some baseboard work, some painting still to do. (little stuff) but I will keep myself busy with it.
The land here is beautiful and so so quiet.

No mail carriers will come out here so I went and got a PO Box and then one of those places you can have FedEx and UPS deliver to. I just have to go to town (about a 30 min drive) to pick up any packages. The PO box is fairly close though, only about 10 min. Getting trash pickup isn't going to happen but most of the farmers around here burn what they can, so I plan on doing that for what will burn and then either have someone come to pickup other things like once a month or make a trip to the dump for whatever I can't burn. Kind of an inconvenience but it's worth it for being way out in the middle of nowhere where things are nice and calm and quiet.
My newest pup is doing well. Elsa, who is a Kuvasz. She is now almost 8 months and already 100lbs. She sticks to me like glue and is extremely protective already. When people come to visit, she will start growling if they get too close to me. It's a bit too much honestly but as she gets a bit older she will learn what is a threat and what is not, that's the breed and the way they are. She warns is all she is doing, like she is saying, "Hey, just so you know, I am right here and if you do anything dumb to Mom, I am going to handle it"
She was with me in Durant and when the kids would come around she was always friendly to them, so again this breed does have a natural love for children which is good. My first Kuvasz was the same way.
Kitties are all good. I have 4 now as I rescued another little stray while I was still in Durant. Major, my Shep is also doing great and he loves having Elsa as a playmate. My older girl Lilah did pass right before I moved into the house. I do miss her. She was 14 and I knew it was getting close, still not a easy thing though and it took Major quite awhile to not be sad. He would mope around and lay in her spot. Elsa has really helped him get past his grief of losing his friend.

Anyway, hugs to all and I'm happy to be back!
Good to see you back Deb, glad everything is goin well for you

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We got through the freeze with no bust pipes since we took precautions. Somehow, we ended up having no water to anyone in town tonight due to a busted water main. SMH!

We used to have pipes bust every winter when the temperatures dropped below 20. Our temperatures got down to 9 degrees. I am thankful hubby did not have to take off from work to blow money at the hardware store and replace busted lines again.

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We were lucky none of our pipes busted. The main water tank in the pump house did freeze though. We put a small space heater in there and fortunately after about 4 hours we had running water again. :) I think it got down to around 2 degrees. We have it setup where the well water goes into this large tank first then goes into another tank to be treated. The well water here is high in TDS (or whatever they call it) So we have a bunch of filters it has to go through before it gets into the house and we do have a RO system under the kitchen sink. I use that water for cooking and drinking and for the animals. Being that we have some UV light thing also, they say we CAN drink the tap water, it won't hurt us but it doesn't taste real good. Salty, yuck. lol

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Flea market was almost a bust due to cold temperatures. Only 4 vendors showed up. We bought a few things. The deal of the day is a Fuji Finepix HS10 camera for $20. Everything on it works. Does standard to high speed shooting as well as panorama and HD videos. Zoom goes to 720X. It is not for sale.

20240120_172106.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Finally, the snow and ice is gone from my area. <whew>
It's actually above normal temps now...we could have a record high temp next Sunday-Monday...weird eh?
Lots of rain, but that's normal.

Screenshot from 2024-01-24 15-19-16.png

Busses running again, so took one Monday to get Milly's meat before she runs out...like today. Eeek!

Got this not-cheap but very nice Organic, and no-salt/broth added chicken from Grocery Outlet. I love it as it's the perfect size...for a one or two pound batch of her food once trimmed of fat, tough fibrous stuff, and bloody birdie bits. I got two....that'll be enough Milly food until I get my food benefits in again.

But see how little there is of that guck...and it's easy to remove with a good knife.

20240124_150359~2.jpg

And the second package was even cleaner.

IMG_1278.JPG

So, I get to keep nearly a full chicken breast for my own use, plus some little bits. And, I still have 2lbs of meat for making Milly's food. It's well worth the slight extra expense to get quality meat that I can process quickly and easily, and be a good quality protein for Milly....and I. 😸:D

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
MRI results are in. 2 torn discs and a bunch of jargon I don't understand. and they found what looks like a small cyst on my right kidney. I guess they'll send me to someone to do ultrasound on it, and then tell me I can't drink anything but distilled water.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
MRI results are in. 2 torn discs and a bunch of jargon I don't understand. and they found what looks like a small cyst on my right kidney. I guess they'll send me to someone to do ultrasound on it, and then tell me I can't drink anything but distilled water.
Well jeez, that's a hell of a gut punch...I hope you'll be ok...best wishes to ya...

I know what it's like to have a sudden and terrifying diagnosis occur.
When I went to a doc back in the early 2000s with pernicious bronchitis from smoking...as in couching up blood...the doc literally yelled at me and said "do you know what that means?" while pointing at my chest X-ray...I looked at it and said yes, as my birth dad was a Pathologist..."those are pre-cancerous lesions".

Like a polka dotted landscape of clouds on my lungs. He said I had a year to live if I didn't quit smoking. I didn't care.

Not until 2012, when I found vaping. Vaping is why I'm alive...such a life as that may be.

Get second opinions...always. The last guy in med school to graduate is still called Doctor...

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well jeez, that's a hell of a gut punch...I hope you'll be ok...best wishes to ya...

I know what it's like to have a sudden and terrifying diagnosis occur.
When I went to a doc back in the early 2000s with pernicious bronchitis from smoking...as in couching up blood...the doc literally yelled at me and said "do you know what that means?" while pointing at my chest X-ray...I looked at it and said yes, as my birth dad was a Pathologist..."those are pre-cancerous lesions".

Like a polka dotted landscape of clouds on my lungs. He said I had a year to live if I didn't quit smoking. I didn't care.

Not until 2012, when I found vaping. Vaping is why I'm alive...such a life as that may be.

Get second opinions...always. The last guy in med school to graduate is still called Doctor...
I already knew my spine was fubar. Already had lumbar surgery once, about 8 years ago. Back then, I was allowed to vape in my patient room. I kind of expect fusion this time around.

As for the kidney, I haven't been referred to a specialist yet.

VU Sponsors