Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sarah,

I'm sorry that you are going through this, scary and painful. Sending prayers and warm hugs, remember we are here for you.
About the back problems, nothing surprises me... even as much as it might shock and sadden y'all. Here's a word that will make everything sound worse when you look it up: stenosis. I have 2 problems going on that cause stenosis. The bone spurs and disc problems. Yep. No surprise there. Known about that since just before my last lumbar surgery.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
About the back problems, nothing surprises me... even as much as it might shock and sadden y'all. Here's a word that will make everything sound worse when you look it up: stenosis. I have 2 problems going on that cause stenosis. The bone spurs and disc problems. Yep. No surprise there. Known about that since just before my last lumbar surgery.
i had kidney stone problems, it is the worst pain i have ever had.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i had kidney stone problems, it is the worst pain i have ever had.
I don't want to hurt your feelings, but that's nothing compared to what myself and others have been through. The pain I'm in now is nothing compared to what I've been through. The worst pain I've had left me on the floor crying until I could manage to drag myself to my the phone.

Yeah. I know. I weld, and build smokers. I also use the right tools to move heavy parts where I want them. Anything heavier than 25 pounds, I get hubby to do it for me. That wasn't always the case. I used to train in MMA, patrolled with the Guardian Angels, and worked as a bouncer at a night club when I was young. Sometimes, my mind thinks I still am.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got a bit crafty again....

20240203_075031.jpg

Made this with a downloaded logo and my printer...then just affixed it to a Dollar Tree beer stein with packing tape. Ya, it's ghetto, but it works. 😛

No spending $20 on a KC Chiefs mug when I have lots I can decorate. If the logo gets damaged, I just print another one. 🤑🏈👍

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I don't want to hurt your feelings, but that's nothing compared to what myself and others have been through. The pain I'm in now is nothing compared to what I've been through. The worst pain I've had left me on the floor crying until I could manage to drag myself to my the phone.

Yeah. I know. I weld, and build smokers. I also use the right tools to move heavy parts where I want them. Anything heavier than 25 pounds, I get hubby to do it for me. That wasn't always the case. I used to train in MMA, patrolled with the Guardian Angels, and worked as a bouncer at a night club when I was young. Sometimes, my mind thinks I still am.
i was part founder of angels of the north. we gave pedos to the cops. no my feelings are not hurt at all, i have had 2x brain euneysms removed 3 heart attacks and a stroke. i had open heart surgery and been fighting cancer for 3 years. yes i know others have been through a lot and i hoe they get over it and live well, i worked on the door of a club in the north of england so yeah i know pain. i was a time served sheetmetal worker working in the shipyards so yeah, we have a little in common. take care

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Got a bit crafty again....

View attachment 212586

Made this with a downloaded logo and my printer...then just affixed it to a Dollar Tree beer stein with packing tape. Ya, it's ghetto, but it works. 😛

No spending $20 on a KC Chiefs mug when I have lots I can decorate. If the logo gets damaged, I just print another one. 🤑🏈👍
Sorry my friend, but you have the wrong logo there...

1707019452846.png

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry my friend, but you have the wrong logo there...

View attachment 212621

Ya...this one wouldn't fit... :p

MahomesSB.jpg

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday was our bi-weekly shopping trip to Abilene. We decided to catch a movie, and then top it off by going to IHOP for omelets.

Our waitress was so horrible, I posted about it on Reddit. 90% of the comments support the waitress for bringing cold food, no drink. Putting down my husband for finding her playing on her phone, and having to ask another waitress for a manager.

Interestingly, I got more upvotes than comments. As for our dinner, it was redone, comped, and we got a voucher for $20 for our next visit any time this year. Hopefully, that waitress won't be there... or any of her ilk.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All the more reason to get a Bug A Salt gun. I went to change into my n8ght clothes, and right where no ordinary bug smasher could get, there sat a large black widow spider. For me, one shot - one kill. Sure, it was where it could not bite me... this time. Where could it have been tomorrow or the next day?

1000001964.jpg

Of course, mine has a barrel extension I made to fit it. Works better since the small end does not frighten targets away.

1000001965.jpg

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yesterday was our bi-weekly shopping trip to Abilene. We decided to catch a movie, and then top it off by going to IHOP for omelets.

Our waitress was so horrible, I posted about it on Reddit. 90% of the comments support the waitress for bringing cold food, no drink. Putting down my husband for finding her playing on her phone, and having to ask another waitress for a manager.

Interestingly, I got more upvotes than comments. As for our dinner, it was redone, comped, and we got a voucher for $20 for our next visit any time this year. Hopefully, that waitress won't be there... or any of her ilk.
Went to a pizza place in Topeka, but this has been 12 or so years ago. They brought out the pizza, look at it and a bunch of live ants were crawling all over it ! They made a new pizza, however, appetite was gone. Also gave me a voucher for a free pizza. Oh, and the second pizza didn't come with companions.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Went to a pizza place in Topeka, but this has been 12 or so years ago. They brought out the pizza, look at it and a bunch of live ants were crawling all over it ! They made a new pizza, however, appetite was gone. Also gave me a voucher for a free pizza. Oh, and the second pizza didn't come with companions.
I bet it came topped with lawyers, eh?
Damn critters...

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Lady Sarah I have cervical stenosis, I know the pain and I am so sorry you are having to deal with that. Have had a fusion on c5/6. 3 bulging discs in the lower back and ya, I'm broken so I know everything that you are having to deal with is a frustrating and painful thing. Doc keeps wanting me to try this spinal cord stimulator thing and after I researched it, ya that's not happening. Have you tried steroid injections? They do seem to help me a bit. They don't last long. Couple of months if I am lucky but they do give some relief.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got a Milly wakeup about 4am....ugh.

Too early for using the electric grinder..it's as loud as a vacuum cleaner. 😬

So, I ground up some beans the old manual way. It produces a better dialed-in grind anyways for pour-over coffee. Just a fun ritual and good exercise. 👍😎☕

20240214_040542~2.jpg

20240214_040830~2.jpg

20240214_041040~2.jpg

Yummy....

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got a Milly wakeup about 4am....ugh.

Too early for using the electric grinder..it's as loud as a vacuum cleaner. 😬

So, I ground up some beans the old manual way. It produces a better dialed-in grind anyways for pour-over coffee. Just a fun ritual and good exercise. 👍😎☕

View attachment 212899

View attachment 212898

View attachment 212900

Yummy....
Lovely coffee grinder. I've thought about getting a hand mill coffee grinder from time to time, I think I would if I saw one with that type of vintage look.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lovely coffee grinder. I've thought about getting a hand mill coffee grinder from time to time, I think I would if I saw one with that type of vintage look.
That's a 1960s Armin Trosser I picked up years ago for $35 on eBay. Conical Burr grinders rock.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FWIW.....the Chiefs victory parade in KC will be streamed live. This is the Official TV broadcast...it's also on the NFL Network.

Ppl started showing up like 4am their time...on Valentine's Day....Like a million people out for this....

iu

Screenshot from 2024-02-14 08-11-27.png

I've never seen anything like this before..it's like the Macy's parade. :D

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Lady Sarah I have cervical stenosis, I know the pain and I am so sorry you are having to deal with that. Have had a fusion on c5/6. 3 bulging discs in the lower back and ya, I'm broken so I know everything that you are having to deal with is a frustrating and painful thing. Doc keeps wanting me to try this spinal cord stimulator thing and after I researched it, ya that's not happening. Have you tried steroid injections? They do seem to help me a bit. They don't last long. Couple of months if I am lucky but they do give some relief.
I had some of them injections about 20 years ago, back when they sedated me for it. They would work for a little while, and then I'd go back for more. Then, they decided to do it in office, and I would leave in more pain than when I walked in.
Now that I have stenosis running from L2 to S1, they suggested it again? Nah. I'm on schedule to see the neurosurgeon who did my lumbar surgery 7 years ago to see what she suggests. Half-ass treatments that resolve nothing do not compare to fixing problems. That would be like having some Gen Z lawyer try to restore a 1966 Chevy Chevelle.

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I had some of them injections about 20 years ago, back when they sedated me for it. They would work for a little while, and then I'd go back for more. Then, they decided to do it in office, and I would leave in more pain than when I walked in.
Now that I have stenosis running from L2 to S1, they suggested it again? Nah. I'm on schedule to see the neurosurgeon who did my lumbar surgery 7 years ago to see what she suggests. Half-ass treatments that resolve nothing do not compare to fixing problems. That would be like having some Gen Z lawyer try to restore a 1966 Chevy Chevelle.
Well, you are right about a more permanent solution. I have been too chicken to let them cut into my lower back. The neck went okay but the recovery time was horrid. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for a great outcome. It's great you can have the same doctor.

I know that at some point I will have to suck it up and get over my fear and go see a surgeon. For now though, I still do okay with the injections and the stretching exercises I do. I do still have pain, but I can still function and unless I really over exert myself during the day, it's manageable.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
FWIW.....the Chiefs victory parade in KC will be streamed live. This is the Official TV broadcast...it's also on the NFL Network.

Ppl started showing up like 4am their time...on Valentine's Day....Like a million people out for this....

iu

View attachment 212913

I've never seen anything like this before..it's like the Macy's parade. :D
Unfortunately, the way it ended was very very horrible and sad. I don't know how many shot, but several were in critical condition, several were children, not sure how many adults wounded.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately, the way it ended was very very horrible and sad. I don't know how many shot, but several were in critical condition, several were children, not sure how many adults wounded.
Yeah, that was terrible...from jubilant partying to chaos in seconds. I was watching live on the stream. :(
it was after the actual parade, and just at the conclusion of the on-stage show.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also saw this:

AT-T-outage-and-reported-problems-map-Downdetector.png

33.gif

I don't seem to have any issues on my cell or Internet, but some who rely on cellular only might. I also have Wi-Fi calling. Seems like mostly Eastern USA stuff earlier this morning. ATT says it's mostly resolved...(c0ff)

Like, other than peering and inter-network connectivity, who still uses the Deathstar network?? I have one of their mugs from the 1990s...:giggle:

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also saw this:

AT-T-outage-and-reported-problems-map-Downdetector.png

33.gif

I don't seem to have any issues on my cell or Internet, but some who rely on cellular only might. I also have Wi-Fi calling. Seems like mostly Eastern USA stuff earlier this morning. ATT says it's mostly resolved...(c0ff)

Like, other than peering and inter-network connectivity, who still uses the Deathstar network?? I have one of their mugs from the 1990s...:giggle:
Yep. Hubby wanted me to find out if I paid the bill. It's autopay. Consumer Cellular got hit as well. It's been resolved, but he goes crazy if the phone or internet are disrupted for even 10 seconds. I can't even reboot the router before he gets on the phone with tech support.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FWIW, there will be a press conference later today....they've gotten more contact with the craft and information...

Immediately after Odysseus' estimated landing time had passed, the primary worry was that it wasn't sending back a clear signal. And even when a signal was attained at last, it was a faint one.

But on Feb. 23, a day after the landing success, Intuitive Machines announced in an X post that "Odysseus is alive and well. Flight controllers are communicating and commanding the vehicle to download science data. The lander has good telemetry and solar charging."

It'll be on here at 5pm EST:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Going at it at in Atlanta... :D
Xfinity race is after this one..a dbl-header...w00t!

Nascar-Speed-Limit.gif

Screenshot from 2024-02-24 12-20-22.png

I'm prepared...I reckon the HΩ Wrecker is an appropriate vape for NASCAR...:cheers:

20240224_112158.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny times...

Modelo is apparently the most popular beer in America nowadays.
IMO, if Bud Light was the most popular...it deserved to be dethroned. I'm in the PNW, so lots of Mexicans...and about a zillion locally made IPA's...lol!

Eh, Modelo isn't terrible....I do enjoy the darker variant. ;)

Apologies to my Newcastle Brown Ale glass...

20240225_142153~2.jpg

I opened the bottle using a ECKO can opener that belonged to my late Gramma.
From the 60s...made in Chicago of actual American steel. Irony is delicious. :D

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny times...

Modelo is apparently the most popular beer in America nowadays.
IMO, if Bud Light was the most popular...it deserved to be dethroned. I'm in the PNW, so lots of Mexicans...and about a zillion locally made IPA's...lol!

Eh, Modelo isn't terrible....I do enjoy the darker variant. ;)

Apologies to my Newcastle Brown Ale glass...

View attachment 213210

I opened the bottle using a ECKO can opener that belonged to my late Gramma.
From the 60s...made in Chicago of actual American steel. Irony is delicious. :D
Not a big fan of IPA's, I don't like my beer to be overwhelmed by citrus/pine/grass/etc. A good Porter is the way to win me over.

Spent some time in Mexico many years ago on business, the hotel was one that kind of catered to American business travelers I guess. Asked at the bar for a cervesa (think there is supposed to be an accent of some sort in that word?) that was authentic Mexican, as opposed to the "Mexican" beers common in the US. Always wished I could remember what the name of the one was they suggested. Pretty sure it was a lager, but it was something that wasn't at the time anyway available in the US except in a couple of border cities. But I really enjoyed it, and wish I could remember the name now, just to see if the distribution area has expanded.

As for Modello? It's OK. Had an ECKO can opener just like that in my house growing up, but with a magnet on it, always hanging on the fridge.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not a big fan of IPA's, I don't like my beer to be overwhelmed by citrus/pine/grass/etc. A good Porter is the way to win me over.

Spent some time in Mexico many years ago on business, the hotel was one that kind of catered to American business travelers I guess. Asked at the bar for a cervesa (think there is supposed to be an accent of some sort in that word?) that was authentic Mexican, as opposed to the "Mexican" beers common in the US. Always wished I could remember what the name of the one was they suggested. Pretty sure it was a lager, but it was something that wasn't at the time anyway available in the US except in a couple of border cities. But I really enjoyed it, and wish I could remember the name now, just to see if the distribution area has expanded.

As for Modello? It's OK. Had an ECKO can opener just like that in my house growing up, but with a magnet on it, always hanging on the fridge.
Hmm, never been to Mexico...maybe one of these?

I used to drink a lot of Tecate as I had a Mex store on my block....

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, never been to Mexico...maybe one of these?

I used to drink a lot of Tecate as I had a Mex store on my block....
If it was one of those, the one that jumps out at me is Victoria. But I am almost certain that it was NOT made by Modello, so unless they acquired Victoria since 2012, I don't think that was it. But maybe?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If it was one of those, the one that jumps out at me is Victoria. But I am almost certain that it was NOT made by Modello, so unless they acquired Victoria since 2012, I don't think that was it. But maybe?
Well, BA is THE site for all things beer...
Here's a list. ;)

VU Sponsors