Become a Patron!

Does parallel coils really have pros?

Dreamject

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello!

Is I know, parralel coil have 2 time less resistance, so, with same voltage It will eat 2 time more wattage → taste and clouds.

What advantage can I have if I use this coil in varywatt? I think that it works in mech mods, but does not have something good in varywatt if I compare parralel coil with usual microcoil

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've never liked dual coil atomizers because they make too hot a vape, but then I vape at 10w or less. Those who vape at some astronomic wattage (25w or more) might be very happy with them, they'll let you melt your face and airways a lot faster. ;)

Andria

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Parallel coil will have quarter the resistance of a single coil of the same mass, not half.
Building dual parallel coils may cause you to drop blow the minimum allowable resistance of the mod in VW (depending on what you build).
Trying to raise the resistance will cause you build a long coil with higher mass that will be less responsive.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
parallel coils (IMO) are mostly for mech mods. they allow faster ramp up (but be safe and know what you are doing) with a regulated mod You'll get the same result just using a thicker wire and raising the wattage on your device.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Parallel dual coils have twice the wire to wick/juice surface area at 1/2 the resistance, lower resistance on a mech = higher watts but double the amp load. On a VW regulated, if the resistance of the coil is at or above its lowest resistance rating, it will fire the coil, after that resistance only plays to the mod's algorithm to calculate what volts to send to the coils to get to set wattage. Still the same principle applies, more wire to wick surface contact = more juice vaporized = more flavor and clouds, with a regulated though, you can heat up or cool down the vape to your liking unlike a mech, but downside just like on a mech, battery efficiency tanks due to the power requirements to heat all that mass.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As others have said before parallel builds are mostly for mechs
e1180eca2463b75d78bc73b1d9ac24fe.jpg
That said this dual parallel 26g build is one of my favorites...fast ramp up and vapes great on my 26650 BFM mech..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dual coils have half the resistance as a single coil (since they are placed in parallel).
A parallel coil is in fact 2 coils stacked together in parallel.
To reach the same mass as a single coil you would have to use 2 coils with half the amount of wraps (so roughly half the resistance.
So half of half is quarter.

Dreamject

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dual coils have half the resistance as a single coil (since they are placed in parallel).
A parallel coil is in fact 2 coils stacked together in parallel.
To reach the same mass as a single coil you would have to use 2 coils with half the amount of wraps (so roughly half the resistance.
So half of half is quarter.
Wow, thanks, I never thought so...
So... With some voltage we have 4 times more wattage, but if we use varywattage (and same wattage) will we have same taste and vapour ±?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What I said is not entirely accurate for 2 reasons:
First, a coil doesn't have exactly half the resistance then coil with double the amount of wraps because you have to take the resistance of the legs into account.
Second, two coils with half the amount of wraps don't have the exact same mass as a single coil, since they have an extra pair of legs.
But roughly it's a quarter.

Dreamject

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What I said is not entirely accurate for 2 reasons:
First, a coil doesn't have exactly half the resistance then coil with double the amount of wraps because you have to take the resistance of the legs into account.
Second, two coils with half the amount of wraps don't have the exact same mass as a single coil, since they have an extra pair of legs.
But roughly it's a quarter.
Yep, I knew about legs before and though that them reduce efficiency of parallel coil, it's harder to build, opportunity of short circuit more likely, and does not have any advantage in varywatt (expect play with resistance), but some guys like Vitaly think that parralel coil is good choice for varywatt

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, I knew about legs before and though that them reduce efficiency of parallel coil, it's harder to build, opportunity of short circuit more likely, and does not have any advantage in varywatt (expect play with resistance), but some guys like Vitaly think that parralel coil is good choice for varywatt
I disagree with that parallel coils should be used for variable wattage, although they can be used for that.. however it's been my experience for the past 6 years that parallel coils work really well for builds used on a mech.. when wrapped and installed properly parallel coils offers no more problems than a regular coil does..

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
You saying a dual twisted 26awg build doesn't work on a regulated? Still 4 parallel wire in two coils. As with any device you have to build to the strengths of the device you use. I have on numerous occasions stomped on very low ohm high watt mech builds using triple wire twisted or triple wire parallel 28 or 30 awg builds at no more than 30watts on a regulated.

Parallels do work, at higher ohm's sometimes better than larger awg wire mech builds on a regulated, you just have to think about what you are wanting to do and what you need to get there safely and efficiently.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe you got it backwards lol
a parallel coil will have half of the resistance of a single coil using the same number of wraps on the same diameter bit of the same gauge..say you wrap a single 26g coil at 4.0 ohms
a single 26g parallel coil given same # of wraps on the same bit will read 2.0 ohms..DUAL 2.0 ohm parallel coils will read 1.0 ohms total.
I just used 4.0 ohms as an example...but you should get the gist of it ..

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You saying a dual twisted 26awg build doesn't work on a regulated? Still 4 parallel wire in two coils. As with any device you have to build to the strengths of the device you use. I have on numerous occasions stomped on very low ohm high watt mech builds using triple wire twisted or triple wire parallel 28 or 30 awg builds at no more than 30watts on a regulated.

Parallels do work, at higher ohm's sometimes better than larger awg wire mech builds on a regulated, you just have to think about what you are wanting to do and what you need to get there safely and efficiently.

its not that it doesn't work, there is just no benefit of it on a regulated mod

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
its not that it doesn't work, there is just no benefit of it on a regulated mod
I agree 100%
The advantage I like using a parallel build on a mech that it covers twice as much cotton and resistance is cut in half compared to a single wire coil given the same # of wraps.. and with the lower resistance ramp up is fast.. but like you I don't use it on my regulated mods, just on my mechs.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I agree 100%
The advantage I like using a parallel build on a mech that it covers twice as much cotton and resistance is cut in half compared to a single wire coil given the same # of wraps.. and with the lower resistance ramp up is fast.. but like you I don't use it on my regulated mods, just on my mechs.

yup this post nails it. the purpose of it on mechs was to get half the resistance for better ramp up while doubling the surface area for more vapor. But with regulated mods nowadays you can just double your surface area using thicker wire not worry about resistance and crank up the watts to lower ramp up. with mechs it's all about your build, with regulated mods it's about the power you select. it can work with any build pretty much.

Another reason parallel coils became popular was because squeezing 4 coils into some of the old RDAs was tough as hell. Now it's easy to have 4 coisl in a lot of RDAs. i remember squeezing a quad coil into my patriot RDA on a mech. shit sucked. parallels made life easier. same as a quad but easier to fit.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yup this post nails it. the purpose of it on mechs was to get half the resistance for better ramp up while doubling the surface area for more vapor. But with regulated mods nowadays you can just double your surface area using thicker wire not worry about resistance and crank up the watts to lower ramp up. with mechs it's all about your build, with regulated mods it's about the power you select. it can work with any build pretty much.

Another reason parallel coils became popular was because squeezing 4 coils into some of the old RDAs was tough as hell. Now it's easy to have 4 coisl in a lot of RDAs. i remember squeezing a quad coil into my patriot RDA on a mech. shit sucked. parallels made life easier. same as a quad but easier to fit.
I remember drilling bigger holes in my patriot cap for better airflow, lol

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I remember drilling bigger holes in my patriot cap for better airflow, lol

lol i did the same shit. that and my Tobh. those were the shit back in the days on a mech mod. Now they are badly outdated lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol
I ground off those little air control fins on my Tobh..it made building it alot easier, lol

svist

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've never liked dual coil atomizers because they make too hot a vape, ;)
Andria

If your vape is too hot that means your airflow isn't enough. The more power you use the more air you need. With the right airflow like on Limitless RDTA you will get soft cool vapor even on something like 0.15-0.20 at 90-120W.

Concerning the parallels - I use such for my vape pens (JT eGo ONE and SMOK One) I like the resistance and the surface area of the 24 and 22 kanthal wire, but this mods aren’t powerful enough to ramp up those fast. So I use 28-30 parallels to get aprox the same resistance and surface area but much less ramping time.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If your vape is too hot that means your airflow isn't enough. The more power you use the more air you need. With the right airflow like on Limitless RDTA you will get soft cool vapor even on something like 0.15-0.20 at 90-120W.

Which is precisely why I don't like duals; I want to vape, not huff. I didn't huff cigarettes, I won't huff my vape either. I vape at 10w or less, and have the tight draw I like.

Andria

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Which is precisely why I don't like duals; I want to vape, not huff. I didn't huff cigarettes, I won't huff my vape either. I vape at 10w or less, and have the tight draw I like.

Andria
Andrea how much nicotine is needed in your juice at 10 watts and tight draw?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Andrea how much nicotine is needed in your juice at 10 watts and tight draw?

I'm currently using 3.2mg. I started out at 6mg, gradually eased up to 10mg after I quit smoking, and since about March of 2015, have gradually worked my way down to where I am now. Eventually I'll get to 3mg and just park there, but I've been taking my time since 5mg.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like dual coils using 28Awg Kanthal. That is one coil that is not bound up with another on one side, another on the other side. Tried doing parallels and figured out I needed to do trigonometry again to be safe with them. *chuckles* That maths for is a buzz kill ergo I'll stick with simple dual coils on the mechs I use. Although at times, might feel ambitious and do up some fancier builds just to enjoy a little variety in living. :) I like a cool vape & get it most of the time.

ETA For Clarity: I know the maths involved might seem trivial and simple to many folks. To me they seem difficult. It is not that I cannot do maths, I can and often do. I prefer not to with maths seeming difficult for myself. I often instead rely upon charts and formulas, graphs present by others who have already done the maths and a basic check by myself and someone close at hand.

Last edited:

svist

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Andria

I didn't huff sigs neither :) And I used to cover air holes on my first Kanger Protank mini with 18mg juice in it, the draw was not tight enough for me. But I don't know how I ended up with subohm and DTL draw.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't huff sigs neither :) And I used to cover air holes on my first Kanger Protank mini with 18mg juice in it, the draw was not tight enough for me. But I don't know how I ended up with subohm and DTL draw.
Obviously you liked subohm and DTL was alot better than sucking MTL with a tight draw..lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm at 10mg vaping at 9 watts

That was me, for about 8 months. When I got my first Achilles, I immediately had to drop to 9mg, the TH was so much more intense; parked there till last (2015) fall, then started dropping to get to 5mg before cold weather, to see if it helped with my "popsicle paws" -- it did. I probably would have just stayed at 5mg, but when all this FDA caca hit the blades in May, I figured I oughta go ahead and keep reducing till I got it to 3mg, to make my nic stash stretch -- instead of a 20yr supply, it makes it a 30yr supply. :giggle: But reducing nic is a piece o'cake compared to weaning off WTA; that took 15 months and was miserable at every reduction. But considering how things are going in the vape world, I'm glad I got free of it while it was of my own volition, and slowly, rather than being forced to discontinue abruptly at some point when it's no longer available.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I came down over time from 36mg, LOL, could get by I think with 8 or 6

I think at this point I could probably do without it, but with both senile dementia and Alzheimers in my gene pool, I figure keeping a little nic in my bod is a very good thing -- since quitting smoking, I may live longer, so I'd like my marbles to stay firmly where they belong. ;)

Andria

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know you'd probably feel better without all that high nicotine going into your body..
I know I could feel the difference when I dropped down from 6 to 2.5mg..and less nicotine made my flavors taste alot better too, :)

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know you'd probably feel better without all that high nicotine going into your body..
I know I could feel the difference when I dropped down from 6 to 2.5mg..and less nicotine made my flavors taste alot better too, :)

Are you actually getting less nicotine? I'm vaping 8mg, low watts. I use 5ml of juice a day so that's 5 X 8 = 40mg per day.

How many ml do you vape a day?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you actually getting less nicotine? I'm vaping 8mg, low watts. I use 5ml of juice a day so that's 5 X 8 = 40mg per day.

How many ml do you vape a day?
I get my nicotine fix completely satisfied with 2.5mg in 2-3 deep lung hits vaping at 80-125w subohm..higher wattages makes for a more efficient nicotine delivery than MTL at low watts...
52ffc11c5ae4c2ebad845a14a3d3ddd2.jpg
Clouds are better too, lol

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I get my nicotine fix completely satisfied with 2.5mg in 2-3 deep lung hits vaping at 80-125w subohm..higher wattages makes for a more efficient nicotine delivery than MTL at low watts...
52ffc11c5ae4c2ebad845a14a3d3ddd2.jpg
Clouds are better too, lol

It's never been about nicotine for me --highest I've used was 10mg. It's about replicating the smoking experience as closely as possible... though thankfully now without that godawful taste and smell. :giggle:

Andria

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's never been about nicotine for me --highest I've used was 10mg. It's about replicating the smoking experience as closely as possible... though thankfully now without that godawful taste and smell. :giggle:

Andria
Your lucky..I smoked for the nicotine..and I vape for the nicotine ..alot healthier and flavors are nice but I vape primarily to satisfy my acquired nicotine addiction today. If it wasn't for the nic I'd have no desire to vape..if I wanted flavor I'd eat a Jolly Rancher, lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Your lucky..I smoked for the nicotine..and I vape for the nicotine ..alot healthier and flavors are nice but I vape primarily to satisfy my acquired nicotine addiction today. If it wasn't for the nic I'd have no desire to vape..if I wanted flavor I'd eat a Jolly Rancher, lol

If it was about nicotine, you can get that from patches, gum, lozenges, spray. All that nic-replacement did for me was give me heart palpitations and literal psychosis -- screaming fits that drove my husband and son right out of their minds along with me. I tried just sucking on an empty straw; even taped a cig filter tip to a straw, so there was some resistance, but it was no use. There needs to be something actually inhaled, tingle on the tongue and throat, and then blown out -- doesn't need to be much, just about the same volume/thickness as cigarette smoke -- my 86% PG gives me that.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it was about nicotine, you can get that from patches, gum, lozenges, spray. All that nic-replacement did for me was give me heart palpitations and literal psychosis -- screaming fits that drove my husband and son right out of their minds along with me. I tried just sucking on an empty straw; even taped a cig filter tip to a straw, so there was some resistance, but it was no use. There needs to be something actually inhaled, tingle on the tongue and throat, and then blown out -- doesn't need to be much, just about the same volume/thickness as cigarette smoke -- my 86% PG gives me that.

Andria
^^^^^ This

Some it's the nic, for me nic does play a small factor but the inhale and exhale is why Vaping works for me where all else has failed.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im a Vet and believe me, my primary care doctor prescribe the patches, gum and all that years ago..none of that stuff worked..I sill smoked..started vaping after a fellow truck driver turned me on to it at a New Orleans truck stop late one night about 7 yrs ago...vaping worked, and thanks to vaping I'm still completely tobacco free today..and I'm vaping in a way that isn't even close to replicate smoking a cancer stick..bad memories, yuk! lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Im a Vet and believe me, my primary care doctor prescribe the patches, gum and all that years ago..none of that stuff worked..I sill smoked..started vaping after a fellow truck driver turned me on to it at a New Orleans truck stop late one night about 7 yrs ago...vaping worked, and thanks to vaping I'm still completely tobacco free today..and I'm vaping in a way that isn't even close to replicate smoking a cancer stick..bad memories, yuk! lol

Then it's not just the nicotine, or NRT would have worked. That's the fallacy that the ANTZ have tried to foist on the world for decades now, but it's very far from "just the nicotine" -- or NRT would have something better than a 7% success rate.

I also think that a lot of the reason why many continue to want nicotine in their vape has little to do with the supposed "addictiveness" of nicotine -- it's the primary cause of TH, though high-PG and certain flavors also enhance that. I can't stand the taste or smell of tobacco anymore, but I gotta have that TH, or it's completely unsatisfying.

Andria

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Andria, I actually drip 100% VG without nic or flavor on new builds in my RDA's to break in my new cotton..Vaping it a few times didn't do anything for me..Like shooting blanks, lol
Im very happy where I'm at in my vaping journey..
fa452b63cfd66e9d0a26104dbb48844d.jpg
I still love to build as this clapton build in my RTA-2
d2ae3ed784eb1c205214c924235179c0.jpg
And I like vaping several different mods in my daily rotation, with different flavors of course, lol

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Then it's not just the nicotine, or NRT would have worked. That's the fallacy that the ANTZ have tried to foist on the world for decades now, but it's very far from "just the nicotine" -- or NRT would have something better than a 7% success rate.

I also think that a lot of the reason why many continue to want nicotine in their vape has little to do with the supposed "addictiveness" of nicotine -- it's the primary cause of TH, though high-PG and certain flavors also enhance that. I can't stand the taste or smell of tobacco anymore, but I gotta have that TH, or it's completely unsatisfying.

Andria

Well, I say I vape for the nicotine but not going to fib and say that is all there is to it for me. I also enjoy the inhaling and exhaling of something akin to smoke, the vapor being that. I recently through playing around with a little DIY juice mixing found I could feasibly drop to around 6-7mg/ml nicotine, yet would vape more. This is why I am keeping the 18mg/ml steady along with my playing around, I prefer being moderate. :)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I say I vape for the nicotine but not going to fib and say that is all there is to it for me. I also enjoy the inhaling and exhaling of something akin to smoke, the vapor being that. I recently through playing around with a little DIY juice mixing found I could feasibly drop to around 6-7mg/ml nicotine, yet would vape more. This is why I am keeping the 18mg/ml steady along with my playing around, I prefer being moderate. :)
Obviously you are a MTL vapor at low watts with poor nicotine delivery and can understand why you need 18mg of nic...

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Obviously you are a MTL vapor at low watts with poor nicotine delivery and can understand why you need 18mg of nic...

Not a wholly accurate assessment. I very often direct lung hit and very often use a mechanical so do not know the wattages. I know that there are times I am using sub ohm coil/s when I build them. Although, if you inhale the vape via your mouth I would reckon as @SteveS45 pointed out on another forum that we all do a bit of mouth to lung hitting. :) How can you not if that is the case?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not a wholly accurate assessment. I very often direct lung hit and very often use a mechanical so do not know the wattages. I know that there are times I am using sub ohm coil/s when I build them. Although, if you inhale the vape via your mouth I would reckon as @SteveS45 pointed out on another forum that we all do a bit of mouth to lung hitting. :) How can you not if that is the case?
b59b066bb0e6dd237f427ce4f360033c.jpg
This is my little sister tootle puffing (MTL) at 13w.. obviously she puffs into her mouth and then draws it into her lungs ..
35c2988a9a9a20767afb6505ffddc1a7.jpg
and this is me at 125w (about 4.3v with
a .15 ohm coil) after a Direct Lung pull with no puffing at all..my little sister has to use at least I8mg of nic and take many MTL puffs to get her nic fix..
On the other hand I get my nic fix in 2-3 deep DL pulls using only 2.5mg of nic.. I don't have to chain vape because I'm good, and can set my mod down, unlike my little sister,
Happy Holidays Magic

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've never seen the point at all of just producing fog that clouds the entire room. I can exhale directly in front of my face while driving and never impede my vision. It's all about what I'm drawing in, and how I'm drawing it in, than about whatever I exhale. Producing thick clouds seems like it's more about showing off, than staying smoke-free.

Andria

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've never seen the point at all of just producing fog that clouds the entire room. I can exhale directly in front of my face while driving and never impede my vision. It's all about what I'm drawing in, and how I'm drawing it in, than about whatever I exhale. Producing thick clouds seems like it's more about showing off, than staying smoke-free.

Andria
depends. sometimes yes, but sometimes with the right builds more clouds means you get more flavor. I don't care for clouds personally not my thing, but i do like to get the best flavor possible.

VU Sponsors