Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
To some of us, Zappa and the Dead are good music. :D

:p

The Dead wouldn't be too bad, if they'd known how to tune their guitars properly. Zappa wouldn't be bad if he'd just shut the hell up with his self-amused pseudo-humor and played that damn guitar, though he was a little jazzier than I generally care for. Both Zappa and the Dead though, tend to just go on and on and on, playing and playing and never reaching any resolution -- I HATE that form of jazz.... though the Dead aren't jazz, they're just tone-deaf acid heads who don't grasp the proper form of songs at all -- there should be a beginning, a middle which usually contains verses, chorus, maybe a bridge, and then an ending, a resolution... not just hours and hours of free-form tone-deaf crap that never reaches any conclusion.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Dead wouldn't be too bad, if they'd known how to tune their guitars properly. Zappa wouldn't be bad if he'd just shut the hell up with his self-amused pseudo-humor and played that damn guitar, though he was a little jazzier than I generally care for. Both Zappa and the Dead though, tend to just go on and on and on, playing and playing and never reaching any resolution -- I HATE that form of jazz.... though the Dead aren't jazz, they're just tone-deaf acid heads who don't grasp the proper form of songs at all -- there should be a beginning, a middle which usually contains verses, chorus, maybe a bridge, and then an ending, a resolution... not just hours and hours of free-form tone-deaf crap that never reaches any conclusion.

Andria
Ahh but when we reach conclusion we are dead.
It is the path that matters.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Andria

Well shucks. I always thought you was a free spirit that went with the flow. Conformity to standards is well and fine in some circumstances but free form has a lot to be said for it. At least I think so. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well shucks. I always thought you was a free spirit that went with the flow. Conformity to standards is well and fine in some circumstances but free form has a lot to be said for it. At least I think so. :)

For some things, free-form is fine. Not music. Music is more like math than like touchy-feely art.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I guess I'm just out of the habit of much mousing; since I'm not doing any web coding anymore, I don't have the cycle of code-upload-refresh browser and repeat as I used to do just constantly; since 2014 all I've really done online is foruming, and now this houseplans thing is just KILLING my bad right shoulder.

I had the weirdest damn dream last night, a smoking dream, which is weird in itself, I've really had very few of those. But apparently I had given up vaping, and in the dream I was running around the house searching madly for cigarettes, even butts, muttering that I just didn't know why I had quit vaping. I reckon it's a cautionary tale, not to ever actually quit vaping, no matter how routine-mundane it becomes -- it's still preventing me from smoking, and that's really all it needs to do. Maybe it's my subconscious prompting me to do the ordering I keep meaning to do and keep procrastinating, some shisha strawberry, a couple more liters of nicotine (we got an additional freezer! whoohoo!!!), and some more PG and VG before I let the Amazon Prime lapse in June.

Andria
Omg all I do is code all day at work sometimes 10 hours a day. No wonder my neck is killing me. The past two weeks I have had to extract data from a web app that was poorly created. People can basically enter anything that they want to and there's no drop downs or codes to keep them from doing so. So my code is having to strip weird characters out, combine 11 letters to parents into one, depending upon what grade level they entered which can be 01 or 1 for first grade. Case statements up the ass.... and so so much more that I can't even mention. I feel like I'm back in the 70s.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You are cute as a bug's ear sometimes choppy

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Omg all I do is code all day at work sometimes 10 hours a day. No wonder my neck is killing me. The past two weeks I have had to extract data from a web app that was poorly created. People can basically enter anything that they want to and there's no drop downs or codes to keep them from doing so. So my code is having to strip weird characters out, combine 11 letters to parents into one, depending upon what grade level they entered which can be 01 or 1 for first grade. Case statements up the ass.... and so so much more that I can't even mention. I feel like I'm back in the 70s.
Ahh but cleaning up someone else's mess is job security.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In a continuation of my last post.
Also a song can be great even if it's lyrics makes little to no sense.
Best example of this is below.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ouch hard coding sucks.
I did that shit for way too long I still have nightmares...Not kidding!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

How are you screening out bad data? Javascript? I never learned that, but managed to somehow glean a bare smidgen of php. Could never write it, but could more or less follow along with it and see what was happening, and php really isn't all that hard, and gives fairly non-mysterious errors depending on the way in which you manage to fuck it up. :giggle:

Andria

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How are you screening out bad data? Javascript? I never learned that, but managed to somehow glean a bare smidgen of php. Could never write it, but could more or less follow along with it and see what was happening, and php really isn't all that hard, and gives fairly non-mysterious errors depending on the way in which you manage to fuck it up. :giggle:

Andria
I'm thinking she must be using some program that helps otherwise it would just be masochistic, and not in a good way.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You know sometimes a song ain't even got to have words to be a great song.

I completely agree. One that always leaps immediately to mind is "Terminal Frost" by Pink Floyd, on the Momentary Lapse album. That song can bring me to tears with the power of the music itself. And of course the immortal Eine Klein Nachtmusik. Music itself should have an internal logic, that's what makes it music and not just random noise. When I talk about a song's conclusion, resolution, I mean in the true sense of denouement -- the apex that was built to, then reached. Music that doesn't have that sort of internal logic just leaves me cold; I can't participate in it in any meaningful way, like hearing a foreign language spoken -- it's just noise.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Afternoon fugee's :)

I slept like the dead last night. Damn near 9 hours. Way more than i usually get so I am in a good mood today.

For some things, free-form is fine. Not music. Music is more like math than like touchy-feely art.

Andria

Some music is like math, and that type is usually very stoic. There is no feeling to it but when it is allowed to be played freely, that is when it becomes great. With your love of ZZTop, makes me wonder WTF lol

Kinda like this song. It is structured but loose at the same time.

You are cute as a bug's ear sometimes choppy

Aww shucks :p

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A
Some music is like math, and that type is usually very stoic. There is no feeling to it but when it is allowed to be played freely, that is when it becomes great. With your love of ZZTop, makes me wonder WTF lol

Kinda like this song. It is structured but loose at the same time.

Aww shucks :p

ZZ Top's music is VERY structured -- 12 bar blues, mostly, which has a very definite structure. How it's played is one thing, but the MUSIC ITSELF is HIGHLY structured, and has a very definite resolution, at the end of each 12 bars. One of their songs, I really wish they WOULD go on and on and on forever and ever -- Jesus Just Left Chicago -- the jam at the end of that is AMAZING!

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
ZZ Top's music is VERY structured -- 12 bar blues, mostly, which has a very definite structure. How it's played is one thing, but the MUSIC ITSELF is HIGHLY structured, and has a very definite resolution, at the end of each 12 bars. One of their songs, I really wish they WOULD go on and on and on forever and ever -- Jesus Just Left Chicago -- the jam at the end of that is AMAZING!

Andria

:headbang:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think it was your GFY - we are all getting decrepit and out of practice in that area :sneaka:

We are all getting decrepit, damn. I resemble that remark :giggle:

Speak for yourself.
I have been decrepit for a long time.
Perhaps getting more decrepit?

Anyway GFY. For today is a special day.

What special about today?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Damn, over 24 hours since a peep was heard. Guess this place needs to be shocked awake.......

It has lately been made very plain to me that I simply don't fit in anywhere, so I've mostly been sparing VU my presence. Also reading some good books, to alleviate my shoulder pain from the floorplans pgm.

Andria

VU Sponsors