Become a Patron!

Explosion at Vape Blast

johnnyyuma

Member For 4 Years
If this is off topic for this section please delete.

Apparently a battery vented/mod exploded at Vape Blast this past weekend. There are different versions of the story floating around, but this guy has some interesting video and pictures on his Instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/ryUI37rItC/

fymN90N.jpg

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I hear it was a very low sub ohm build that was is someones pocket and not locked off. The mod was firing continuously for minutes before the battery swelled blocking the vent holes and let go.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I smell a set up.. They can't find the person who owned the mod? Come on really? If your mod "exploded" wouldnt you be the first one to start talking??

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I hope the prize for best cloud was worth the near ball scorching experience
cloud comp was cancelled if you read the article

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I smell a set up.. They can't find the person who owned the mod? Come on really? If your mod "exploded" wouldnt you be the first one to start talking??
I agree. I've had a 18350 vent on me and it produced all kinds of black crap inside the mod and when I tossed it in a sink full of water.

Ok, after looking at the photos I'm not sure.

Last edited:

johnnyyuma

Member For 4 Years

Folks on FB and reddit are talking about a "modified button",they knew this mod,somebody already knows who this is. Plus all the clone/notaclone bullshit.

Probably ameravape behind this.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well it wasn't a Manhattan or the clone of it. By the pic's it looks like the mod had a spring.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Edited by Celtic.

I really think its better to wait for further details before I come to my own conclusion.

Last edited:

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just read one of the charges is the Possession of Illegal materials....PG, VG and Nic are not illegal substances....I'm wondering if he did have something he shouldn't have had....I must say that this is an interesting story. Lets all hope he wasn't off his rocker and doing naughty things, I have a tendency NOT to believe the media in this country, but I cant be blinded by my media angst, when the safety of others is involved. I hope this gets resolved in the best interests of the community, both his and ours.

johnnyyuma

Member For 4 Years
Just read one of the charges is the Possession of Illegal materials....PG, VG and Nic are not illegal substances....I'm wondering if he did have something he shouldn't have had....I must say that this is an interesting story. Lets all hope he wasn't off his rocker and doing naughty things, I have a tendency NOT to believe the media in this country, but I cant be blinded by my media angst, when the safety of others is involved. I hope this gets resolved in the best interests of the community, both his and ours.
Got a link, this sounds interesting

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It was on an NBC post, Ill try to find it again then post Johnny

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
omg...he is going to kill it with this video....EDIT the PIPE BOMB COMMENT OUT BUSARDO...and it could have been worse, if someone got hurt.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
from the pattern of the burns, it appears he could have dropped it as well.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
26650 batteries have high internal resistance to start with. I don't understand why people want to sub ohm with them. We probably will never know the whole story behind this. Unless that person steps forward and explains what happened.

Freeloader

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I understood him correctly at the end, after saying he had to clean up the wall, he said something about the RDA at 'nought point nought four'. If that build was a .04 (YIKES), a battery at 4 volts would have produced 100 amps and 400 watts.

Ahhhhh sweet youth!

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Towards the end of this video the battery vents on this guy.
This kid a moron..
What he's doing just plain stupid. I like how he kills a battery and then just puts it another one like nothing is the matter.
The best part is he's not even getting the "huge clouds" he thinks he is. I've seen could chasers blow bigger clouds with a .5-.2 ohms and doing it as safely as possible.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I understood him correctly at the end, after saying he had to clean up the wall, he said something about the RDA at 'nought point nought four'. If that build was a .04 (YIKES), a battery at 4 volts would have produced 100 amps and 400 watts.

Ahhhhh sweet youth!
That's the carzyness of it. He new he had a ticking bomb. When you can't hold the mod because it so fucking hot, that should have told him he was pushing way past the limit of the batteries capability.
He was stacking the battieries so 8 volts at .03 ohms = 2133 watts and 266 amps. I can't believe he hasn't hurt himself or someone else.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This why the FDA will try to either regulate it or put a ban on something.
Because of people like this
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately your probably right. In any case it's shit like this we don't need helping to fuel the FDA's fire. But accidents will happen and that's goes for anything where risks are taken.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unfortunately your probably right. In any case it's shit like this we don't need helping to fuel the FDA's fire. But accidents will happen and that's goes for anything where risks are taken.

I know and like the kid in vid also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, and when both Grimm Green AND Phil Busardo agree that what you are doing is borderline suicidal and stupid, you have a problem.

I like this though:

pbusardo originally shared this

In your case, ohms law should be replaced by Darwinism. You're quite lucky you didn't record a snuff film. I would find it hard to believe that even the most extreme cloud chasers approve of what you're doing. At least you'll get plenty of views. Excellent work...

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Towards the end of this video the battery vents on this guy.
I've got a couple issues with this video. Starting with the obvious, this fucktard shouldn't be building anything, not even legos until SOMEBODY ELSE says he's competent enough to do so. If you're cutting twisted wire with heavy duty dykes or tin snips and you're struggling, maybe wear some fucking safety glasses. I like how he "pops" a battery, and casually grabs another like "oh no big deal, it'll be fine". If I were building that low, I sure as fuck wouldn't trust that ohm checker. For all we know, it could read .039999999 higher than actual. Then there's "let's just do a quick adjustment here" without checking if he shifted the wires enough to create a barely visible short. "It got so hot, it deformed the spring. I'll just tweak it back to normal". Um, how about try another mod. Maybe, just maybe, that spring was causing problems all along. "I think I just vented my battery", so I'll take the top cap off & stare dumb founded at this hot thing and just hope nothing happens while it's pointed at my face. "There's the vented battery in the garbage". For fuck's sake, does stupidity know no bounds with this douche? Perhaps he could take another half second, since he already went outside, to maybe through it in the yard or driveway. I'm no fireman, but i sure as fuck ain't gonna throw something that's smoking in the fucking garbage can that has garbage in it.

Here's where I'm confused the most: am I the only one who noticed when he gets up to open the window, that his pants are unbuttoned?? Pretty much every guy knows the correlation between computer and pants unbuttoned. With that said, did he reuse the towel? Cause, you know, us vapers like to find normal everyday stuff and repurpose them for our new hobby.

I'm a gun guy, and this tool reminds me of this winner here

Freeloader

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's always the irresponsible that f#$& things up for the responsible. No matter what ... Firearms ... Automobiles ... Serrated stake knives ... Baseball bats ... Thankfully, this young man came out unscathed, but damn, don't think we are all that fn crazy.

Sorry for the somewhat double post.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I've got a couple issues with this video. Starting with the obvious, this fucktard shouldn't be building anything, not even legos until SOMEBODY ELSE says he's competent enough to do so. If you're cutting twisted wire with heavy duty dykes or tin snips and you're struggling, maybe wear some fucking safety glasses. I like how he "pops" a battery, and casually grabs another like "oh no big deal, it'll be fine". If I were building that low, I sure as fuck wouldn't trust that ohm checker. For all we know, it could read .039999999 higher than actual. Then there's "let's just do a quick adjustment here" without checking if he shifted the wires enough to create a barely visible short. "It got so hot, it deformed the spring. I'll just tweak it back to normal". Um, how about try another mod. Maybe, just maybe, that spring was causing problems all along. "I think I just vented my battery", so I'll take the top cap off & stare dumb founded at this hot thing and just hope nothing happens while it's pointed at my face. "There's the vented battery in the garbage". For fuck's sake, does stupidity know no bounds with this douche? Perhaps he could take another half second, since he already went outside, to maybe through it in the yard or driveway. I'm no fireman, but i sure as fuck ain't gonna throw something that's smoking in the fucking garbage can that has garbage in it.

Here's where I'm confused the most: am I the only one who noticed when he gets up to open the window, that his pants are unbuttoned?? Pretty much every guy knows the correlation between computer and pants unbuttoned. With that said, did he reuse the towel? Cause, you know, us vapers like to find normal everyday stuff and repurpose them for our new hobby.

"and this thing has this cool featur-BOOM!!!-oh fuck!!!" lol

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Real or not we are unfortunately we are gonna see and hear of more cases like this. Cloud chasing has become a trendy thing among teens and young adults. They are pushing the boundaries without always knowing the limitations and risks. On FB groups the majority of posts are about chasing clouds and not quitting smoking.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

That dumbass needs a gun safety class or 20. And a some history lessons too.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Okay on second thought maybe this asshole shouldn't remove the videos..
Why you ask? So that way when he inevitably blows his hands off the media cant get a hold of it and blow it way out of proportion.
We'll be able to have proof that what he was doing was completely stupid and that the vaping community was completely against his behavior.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Okay on second thought maybe this asshole shouldn't remove the videos..
Why you ask? So that way when he inevitably blows his hands off the media cant get a hold of it and blow it way out of proportion.
We'll be able to have proof that what he was doing was completely stupid and that the vaping community was completely against his behavior.
i think its pretty clear to anyone that watches that video the vape community is unanimously condemning him including two very well known vape peeps and nearly all thumbs down so i agree, keep the video visible. good example of what not to do i guess lol

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i think its pretty clear to anyone that watches that video the vape community is unanimously condemning him including two very well known vape peeps and nearly all thumbs down so i agree, keep the video visible. good example of what not to do i guess lol
Well you know if the media would get a hold of it and there no was no proof of his stupidity they would just turn it around to say that all ecigs will explode.

VU Sponsors