Become a Patron!

Explosion at Vape Blast

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
py6ybe7e.jpg

10 strands of twisted 24 gauge lol

How is it possible that this guy has not yet received a Darwin Award? At first I thought this was a joke, in the sense that it was done purposefully. Two vented batteries? A towel? A Smoking cell in a trash bin outside? What a tosser, and I don't mean the failed battery...

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's rare that I make it through a whole video such as that, when told where the action happened. Usually I skip to it, but I was in a state of focus watching this idiot be so nonchalant about everything. At about 15:00 when he mentions how hot the mod is and needs to use the towel for both hands, I literally facepalmed myself. I just can't grasp how that could all happen, and he continues on, plus he didn't seem phased at all that a battery vented on him. That dude is really rough with his gear, too, not that it matters. Would be a good thing if he stripped his threads.

As far as the explosion in Texas is concerned, that really makes me mad. The act of throwing the mod at the ground was probably appropriate depending on what was available close by, however, it should have been accompanied by alerting people to get away. I'd stand put until I got others away, I'd risk my safety over theirs, my fuck up my responsibility. For him to just book it, and take no action to alert others let alone stay around to help is incomprehensible. Accident or not, how do you endanger so many people like that and not try to help? No regard for the value of others, and their lives.

What's important is that somehow nobody was injured, but this is the type of thing that media usually drools over, especially when it's a subject that's already controversial.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unfortunately, imbeciles exist in every part of peoples lives, it just cant be helped.

What I find ironic is when more laws are passed to protect these imbeciles from hurting themselves, even more imbeciles seem to emerge; a vicious cycle it seems...

Wish things could be simple, where the idiot who blows off his hand is simply laughed at and shamed so others can take note by example instead of government, lawyers, regulation, taxes, etc.. stepping in for "the good of the people."

Too much to ask for? Yeah, probably is, too many imbeciles running things nowadays lol

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately, imbeciles exist in every part of peoples lives, it just cant be helped.

What I find ironic is when more laws are passed to protect these imbeciles from hurting themselves, even more imbeciles seem to emerge; a vicious cycle it seems...

Wish things could be simple, where the idiot who blows off his hand is simply laughed at and shamed so others can take note by example instead of government, lawyers, regulation, taxes, etc.. stepping in for "the good of the people."

Too much to ask for? Yeah, probably is, too many imbeciles running things nowadays lol
Imbeciles, yep - like my neighbor who blew up his bbq because he used gasoline to start the charcoal when he ran out of charcoal lighter fluid.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stupid people do stupid things. News at 10...

It's not a vaping issue, it's a stupidity issue. The owner of this mod would probably get hurt with a pencil too, if he had entered an extreme drawing competition. Unfortunately, the general media will probably latch onto this story and lump all of us reasonable, normal vapers into the group of dangerous exploding vapers who insist on hard-shorting high-amp batteries for fun.

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm in a vape group on facebook and I see posts like " the closer to .0 ohms the bigger the clouds right?" And some people respond yes back to them.
Makes me wonder if people just don't care about safety or is it just stupidity.
My picks the second one lol... That video was killing me with suspense

Last edited:

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This why the FDA will try to either regulate it or put a ban on something.
Because of people like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think that's the reason The reason goes something like this the FDA is a Government Bureaucracy And as a Bureaucracy its main business is to stay in business[Survive-keep alive]. They also want- to be relevant-seen as important-and keep and exercise power. The FDA Deeming Regs are an attempt to have More Power. i.e. Regulate some that is now popular and not under their control.

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Perfect example of 2 complete imbeciles working at vape store:
He said it's extremely dangerous to use anything above 0 nic? Whats scary is I see so many guys like this at B&Ms all the time. I wish he would've shown what battery he was using. I once saw a guy at a local vape shop sell a Trustfire 10A battery to someone who wanted to get started with mechanicals and "blowing big clouds".

Last edited:

Freeloader

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
He said it's extremely dangerous to use anything above 0 nic? Whats scary is I see so many guys like this at B&Ms all the time. I wish he would've shown what battery he was using. I once saw a guy at a local vape shop sell a Trustfire 10A battery to someone who wanted to get started with mechanicals and "blowing big clouds".

He also mentioned attaching your coil to the center negative post and outer positive post. So the Smok Mini RDA has a revolutionary new way of getting power through the ground.

Oh well, he's only been rebuilding for 2 to 3 weeks.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Man, I really fear for the future if these sorts of fucktards are the ones getting publicity for vaping.

Because, we all know that The Media likes nothing more than a sensational, alarmist and FUD-tastic news article to get ratings.

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He also mentioned attaching your coil to the center negative post and outer positive post. So the Smok Mini RDA has a revolutionary new way of getting power through the ground.

Oh well, he's only been rebuilding for 2 to 3 weeks.
I thought I heard him say that but didn't care enough to rewind it.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How is it possible that this guy has not yet received a Darwin Award? At first I thought this was a joke, in the sense that it was done purposefully. Two vented batteries? A towel? A Smoking cell in a trash bin outside? What a tosser, and I don't mean the failed battery...
To receive or be nominated for a Darwin, you have to be killed by your own sheer stupidity. IIRC, I think there's a different nomination for things that you're somehow lucky enough to not be killed. Or too fucking stupid to kill yourself in an obliviously fucktarded way.

Perfect example of 2 complete imbeciles working at vape store:
I made it, at most, 2 minutes through this vid. "I picked up a vape thing...", know it all's who've been rebuilding for 2 weeks. If I'm going to have a couple know it all kids like that help me out, it's gonna be how to light a joint or throw a party in mom & dad's house. Plus the clueless hosts who look like they're vaping just for the show....nope, I'm not putting myself through any more misery to see how it ends. Maybe later when I'm drunk, I'll give it another shot

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Check this idiot out.

I actually thought that was pretty funny..

And the phone on fire was probably caused by a iPhone vape case...

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing that gets me with exploding batteries is, yes it happens. So does smokers who fall asleep with a lit cigarette and set fire to the bed/couch/house. Only you only hear about the former, never about the latter - which is a lot more common.

At my workplace, everybody knows me as "the vape guy", since I'm the one who started the trend and converted a fair few of my coworkers to vaping. 2 weeks ago, there was a story in the newspaper about some dude who set fire to his house because his battery had failed, and the guy was under oxygen. I've had an earful for a whole week: "Hey, did you hear about this guy whose e-cigarette destroyed his house?" By Friday, I was getting really, REALLY tired of that story - especially coming from smokers with burn holes in their clothes.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you caught it, the kid in the shop also said the mod was 3.7 volts. I'm guessing he got that # from the batteries, however, if he thinks a mech is set at 3.7v he needs some education. The guy who did the video is just a common place idiot, a lot exist. As for the kids working there, I rarely feel this way, but I blame the kids dad, his boss, since he surely is the one who taught them. If taught incorrect, you will likely replicate that and do the same. When teaching someone about building, it is your responsibility to be as thorough and detailed as possible. They are relying on you, and you can't expect everyone to read forums. I'm sure his dads an idiot, and taught those kids wrong. One redeeming statement they do make is that mechs and rda's are for advanced vapers only, and he even states that it's when vaping becomes a hobby, both true. They sell one to a complete idiot still, though.

I'm not excusing their actions, I've been told to use icr batts by a store owner and all his employees, he even showed me a sub ohm build that he runs on them. I left without making a purchase... I hope he doesn't cause anyone to blow themselves up. It's unfortunate that these idiots are in shops, if they were just taught properly, I think they'd be ok. Problem is, one individual taught improperly can snowball into a ton of people once they teach some people themselves. I do feel it's common sense to do your own research, but we all know that common sense isn't so common. I started building with a kayfun and my mvp, I didn't mess with mechs until I was a couple months into building and comfortable with it. Additionally, I educated myself, since I knew next to nothing about electricity. I don't fuck with shit I don't understand, so I read, and go to shops that are legit.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Double post, but also, if you are setup correctly, mod atty all, with a quality imr battery. The videos I've seen of batteries venting seem to all be from user error, or they are testing, and it's intentional. I'm sure it happens, there are bad cells, but from what I've seen, in most cases you have to try pretty hard to vent a battery. It seems to take a good deal of time for it to happen. Accidents do happen to everyone, though. Just, from what I've seen you really need to fire for quite a long time to vent, and I imagine the mod would get hot well before it happened.

That's when you use the towel method, though... Lol at that other idiot. Using a mod that's hot to the point of not touchable, and has deformed the spring is kinda an indication of a problem, just a bit.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I finally got around to watching the video with the .04 ohm build. Watching this was like watching a horror movie. You just knew this guy was getting ready to have his face ripped to shreds. This was the most dumb ass thing I've seen. What's he trying to prove? That he's some coil building pro or something. I laughed when he mentioned using a 60 amp battery for safety reasons. This guy also uses his charcoal grill in the winter time to heat his house.... The thing that bothers me the most is that other idiots will see this and think that this guy vented 2 26650 batteries and didn't get hurt. So that's all that will happen to me,,, STUPID.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I finally got around to watching the video with the .04 ohm build. Watching this was like watching a horror movie. You just knew this guy was getting ready to have his face ripped to shreds. This was the most dumb ass thing I've seen. What's he trying to prove? That he's some coil building pro or something. I laughed when he mentioned using a 60 amp battery for safety reasons. This guy also uses his charcoal grill in the winter time to heat his house.... The thing that bothers me the most is that other idiots will see this and think that this guy vented 2 26650 batteries and didn't get hurt. So that's all that will happen to me,,, STUPID.

Yuppers.

Here's their sign....

hD0C378B8

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yah but if you're not vaping with a towel wrapped around your mod you're not very cool. I just use oven mitts when I Vape, it's very practical.

I vape with my Class 3 Kevlar Vest, Helmet, Gloves, Groin Protector, and yea...Never be to safe right?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I gotta say, I watched like 20sec worth and turned it off.

The guy sounds like he was stoned off his azz, a fetal alcohol baby or just a junkie.
Glassy-eyed stare, can barely talk normally, etc. Arggh.

You just know that stupid is happening right in front of you. I can't watch it. It's like Jackass with Vaping.

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I gotta say, I watched like 20sec worth and turned it off.

The guy sounds like he was stoned off his azz, a fetal alcohol baby or just a junkie.
Glassy-eyed stare, can barely talk normally, etc. Arggh.

You just know that stupid is happening right in front of you. I can't watch it. It's like Jackass with Vaping.

Let's keep it civil, I have F.A.S.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The scumbag who had this happen could have avoided it,
1. not fucked with the switch making it dangerous.
2. not ignored others when they told him it was firing.
3. not thrown it on the ground then running like a bitch.

Honestly the dipshit that did that needs to be found and be charged with reckless endangerment. What he did was reckless and dangerous either by design or his own mental defects.
If he is not found lets all hope he pulls a better Darwin this time without a PV and not endangers anyone around him.

Unprotected lithium batteries weren't manufactured for vapers to stick in tubes and draw current off through a dead short of an extreme low resistance kanthal heating coil.

They were designed to be assembled in parallel and series to create a higher voltage / amperage battery pack that is connected to a BMS (Battery Management System) that protects and monitors condition of the pack. Examples of this would be Tesla motorcars, power tools, computers, etc.

Battery manufacturers are not making batteries for the e-cig industry. They make these batteries in the millions for huge companies using thousands of batteries at a time. The battery manufacturers know how to make the storage cells and the product manufacturers know how to build containers, control and monitoring electronics to safely dispense the energy in the battery to a safe level of discharge. Other circuitry balances and charges the cell packets to achieve a healthy level when recharging.

Any unprotected lithium battery subjected to the abuse it is subject to in a mechanical mod is a potential hazard.

No other industry that uses this battery technology would create such hap-hazard products as mechanical mods.

I didn't just start vaping last week…I've been vaping for 6 years. I have been employed by and consulted with e-cig businesses and done research and development on lithium battery technology for the e-cig industry and EV (electric vehicle) industry and I base my comments on that research.

If you would like to read the full text, that has been limited here to 1000 characters, please visit http://vaporcruz.blogspot.com/2014/09/mod-explodes-at-vape-meet-in-texas.html

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"No other industry that uses this battery technology would create such hap-hazard products as mechanical mods."
I don't believe this for a second... if People can hurt themselves from stupidity should products not be made? If so the tesla or any electric sports car should have never been made. Why need an electric car that goes over 70 mph

Craig Mad Bricky

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nothing quite scares me like the people buying box mods with 2 or 3 even more batteries from people with no formal training in electronics, building this shit with Radio Shack stuff not rated for those amperage batteries, etc. Doing the work in mom's basement! What is the problem here? People are all freaked out by some kid getting some e-juice and getting sued when there are hundreds of adult idiots lining up to by these little bombs from basement mod builders. Before I get flamed for saying my opinion let me qualify that I am a former exstensively safety trained Advanced Electronics Fire Control Technician from the USN and have a super good respect for what a bunch of electrons being jammed through shit can do.

johnnyyuma

Member For 4 Years
Nothing quite scares me like the people buying box mods with 2 or 3 even more batteries from people with no formal training in electronics, building this shit with Radio Shack stuff not rated for those amperage batteries, etc. Doing the work in mom's basement! What is the problem here? People are all freaked out by some kid getting some e-juice and getting sued when there are hundreds of adult idiots lining up to by these little bombs from basement mod builders. Before I get flamed for saying my opinion let me qualify that I am a former exstensively safety trained Advanced Electronics Fire Control Technician from the USN and have a super good respect for what a bunch of electrons being jammed through shit can do.

Is there a particular basement mod builder that concerns you?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Beware: the last time I expressed that very same opinion on ECF - i.e. that devices that use batteries with a low internal resistance and no fuse are stupidly dangerous - I got a warning for "hurting people's feelings" :) Vapers seem to be emotionally attached to their right to put themselves at risk for no good reason.

Craig Mad Bricky

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Beware: the last time I expressed that very same opinion on ECF - i.e. that devices that use batteries with a low internal resistance and no fuse are stupidly dangerous - I got a warning for "hurting people's feelings" :) Vapers seem to be emotionally attached to their right to put themselves at risk for no good reason.
I keep my lip zipped on the FB groups I join and then leave after the horrible feeling I get when one of these people unknowingly hurts themselves eventually. My latest horror is watching the slow motion train wreck of this wick and wire group. Guy does double parr. wrap of 24ga. and can't get to read on his Vv so he goes ahead and sticks the mod in his face and is likely. .01 ohms why it wont read. The guy says it's a vtc4 so it's safe. Oy vey, it's just lack of education and hurt feelings or not its a self policing effort or is going to get regulated to death and no way am I suckling on blu cig-alike!
Besides, I'm a mad bricky and my meds might be off a little. At least for me bipolar isn't self injurious. Shhhh... don't tell anyone. I want to fit in.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's always the irresponsible that f#$& things up for the responsible. No matter what ... Firearms ... Automobiles ... Serrated stake knives ... Baseball bats ... Thankfully, this young man came out unscathed, but damn, don't think we are all that fn crazy.

Sorry for the somewhat double post.
There IS a reason for "The Darwin Awards"

These guys are living proof "Idiocracy" ain't just a movie, but a documentary

There will come a time when people will get tired of letting pinheads like these screw it up for the rest of us, then just remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out on it's own

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never been to a vap show or a competition with that said.

It's going to come down to these shows where it will be regulated meaning they will have to inspect your build and battery's and your coils will be in rage of what they decide to be.
If home idiots you won't you won't be able to stop it.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I keep my lip zipped on the FB groups I join and then leave after the horrible feeling I get when one of these people unknowingly hurts themselves eventually. My latest horror is watching the slow motion train wreck of this wick and wire group. Guy does double parr. wrap of 24ga. and can't get to read on his Vv so he goes ahead and sticks the mod in his face and is likely. .01 ohms why it wont read. The guy says it's a vtc4 so it's safe. Oy vey, it's just lack of education and hurt feelings or not its a self policing effort or is going to get regulated to death and no way am I suckling on blu cig-alike!
Besides, I'm a mad bricky and my meds might be off a little. At least for me bipolar isn't self injurious. Shhhh... don't tell anyone. I want to fit in.
So far in my experience here on VU, everybody has the ability to voice their opinion with impunity. The only problem I see with your argument is there is no way to stop the under edjumacated from building these devices in their basements. However, a business should be held to a higher standard. If they produce a device that can be misused, they should at a minimum provide a disclaimer and instructional manual implicitly stating the safe operating parameters of the device. They could even go so far as to provide (as an option) the appropriate, high quality battery to try to at least mitigate some of the dangers. B&M's (not all, but most) are notorious in providing misleading or wrong information with regards to mechs and their safe operation. Just as the government has gone after the gun shops, distributers, and manufacturers for liability in gun related accidents/incidents, they will come after e-cig shops, distributers, and manufacturers. The government and courts have taken personal responsibility away from the people and replaced it with the nany state to watch over our actions. And every time one of these stupid incidents happen, it reinforces their ability to continue to do so. Personal responsibility should be the norm, but it has been replaced by Big Brother and finger pointing.

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Growing up I thought that in America you were free. Now because of stupidity and what might happen we have changed to a country of what's good for you. Then again this is the same place that has to put "warning contents are hot " on a freakin cup of coffee. We have moved to the point where stupidity rules us all.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Growing up I thought that in America you were free. Now because of stupidity and what might happen we have changed to a country of what's good for you. Then again this is the same place that has to put "warning contents are hot " on a freakin cup of coffee. We have moved to the point where stupidity rules us all.

You're absolutely right.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unprotected lithium batteries weren't manufactured for vapers to stick in tubes and draw current off through a dead short of an extreme low resistance kanthal heating coil.

You made some really good points, but I have a hard time getting past the parts above.

The last time a design engineer told me he was having problems because a part was not designed for the application he was looking at, it turned out he simply didn't understand the application. Low resistance is obviously not a dead short, specially if the device is designed for low resistance. The battery doesn't know what the atty resistance is, it only knows what the amp draw is.

Last edited:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never been to a vap show or a competition with that said.

It's going to come down to these shows where it will be regulated meaning they will have to inspect your build and battery's and your coils will be in rage of what they decide to be.
If home idiots you won't you won't be able to stop it.

The guy whose mod blew up was not in the competition AFAIK.

VU Sponsors