FlavourArt Club ... formally known as the PureVapes thread

Zeeli

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Since you guys seem to really know your stuff....and at the risk of becoming a pest...I promise I won't ask another question for a while. :| but....
I'm slowly making my way through a bunch of HIC's recipes since I've gotten some FA flavors....
I'm trying to make small sample sizes to see if I like the recipe...3-5ml each but how do you guys get 0.25% of a flavor into your mixes?
Is there some trick to it or am I just stuck with having to make a dilution with the flavor then using that or just making a larger mix so that 1 drop equals 0.25%?

I'm hoping there's a trick to it.
:)
I make all new recipes I'm trying in a 10 ml batch. It makes the percantages super easy. I use a 1 ml syringe for the flavors. Life is great! Mixing is fun, and the math is easy this way.

I need to learn how to make a recipe base bottle so I can mix the good stuff faster. Like JXN suggested.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I mix a ten percent solution of my strong flavors like FA Honey or FA Peppermint, That way 10 drops of the solution is the same as 1 drop of the flavor. If a recipe calls for .25% then I use 2 or 3 drops of the solution depending on my mood. Can't win them all. :)

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use the drop method since I do not vape a lot. I buy all my FA from eliquidmart and the 12 and 5ml bottles have a *regular* dropper size tip. Then I use more empty 5ml or 10ml bottles for all other flavorings making sure the tips are the *regular* size and not the thin tips(I have even emailed to find out). I use ejuicemeup and put 33 drops per ml and make 3,6,or 12ml batches. If making a recipe that calls for 0.5% I do a 6ml, if it is 0.25 or 0.75 I make a 12 ml batch. Hope this helps:D

ouzel

Member For 4 Years
I knew you guys would have the answers :)

I don't like to make larger mixes because I don't vape that much (yet)...some days it's less than 1 ml - and I change between 5 different clearos throughout the day so that 12ml mix would end up lasting for well over 2 or 3 months and old liquid and all that....blah blah.

I think I might have to break down and make a dilution of at least a couple of flavors that I will be using in a lot of my mixes, thanks Caddisfly!
JXN...I just re-read your post, I don't think I quite understood it the first time around and I like your idea...if I find a recipe that I LOVE I am definitely going to do that as I am really lazy and the thought of just mixing a drop or two of the premixed recipe in some nic is a lazy person's dream :) thanks
and misswish, excellent idea too! I don't think I have any toothpicks at the moment, if I do, they're probably made out of wood and I'm guessing the flavor would just get sucked into them :) so I'm off to the store tomorrow to get some plastic toothpicks!

Thank you so much guys for your great ideas!

Oh and Daintanee, you're welcome - glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know all the tricks yet :)

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I knew you guys would have the answers :)

I don't like to make larger mixes because I don't vape that much (yet)...some days it's less than 1 ml - and I change between 5 different clearos throughout the day so that 12ml mix would end up lasting for well over 2 or 3 months and old liquid and all that....blah blah.

I think I might have to break down and make a dilution of at least a couple of flavors that I will be using in a lot of my mixes, thanks Caddisfly!
JXN...I just re-read your post, I don't think I quite understood it the first time around and I like your idea...if I find a recipe that I LOVE I am definitely going to do that as I am really lazy and the thought of just mixing a drop or two of the premixed recipe in some nic is a lazy person's dream :) thanks
and misswish, excellent idea too! I don't think I have any toothpicks at the moment, if I do, they're probably made out of wood and I'm guessing the flavor would just get sucked into them :) so I'm off to the store tomorrow to get some plastic toothpicks!

Thank you so much guys for your great ideas!

Oh and Daintanee, you're welcome - glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know all the tricks yet :)
Your Welcome, but I can't take credit for the idea. I read it somewhere here and don't recall who posted it. Mixing should be easy and this method helps.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This recipe started with a commercial e-juice I really liked but could not afford. My first released version was my Banana Apple Nut Bread. It was sort of close and good, but off the mark. It can be found here:http://vapingunderground.com/thread...he-purevapes-thread.2501/page-153#post-257897.

After many adjustments and adding and dropping of flavors I think I have matched it. I also renamed it.

Seedy Apple Banana

3% FA Banana
2% FA Fuji Apple
2% FA Vienna Cream
1% FA Cookie
1% FA Cinnamon Ceylon
0.5% FA Caramel
0.5% Inawera Sesame

This totals 10% because I wanted to mix up the flavor only for simplicity and accuracy. Here are the amounts:

1.2 ml FA Banana
0.8 ml FA Fuji Apple
0.8 ml FA Vienna Cream
0.4 ml FA Cookie
0.4 ml FA Cinnamon Ceylon
0.2 ml FA Caramel
0.2 ml Inawera Sesame

This yields 4ml of flavoring which can be used at the flavor level you choose. I tried it at 5%, 7%, and 10% The flavor holds true. It just strengthens.

It also works as drops in 6ml of base, even given drop variations, but becomes a bit of a pain to mix at lower amounts if you want to lower the percentages.

I am considering this one done (yeah right, nothing is ever done in DIY). :eek:

Enjoy.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@caddisfly - you ought to put a little book/blog together. You're really making some good ones.
Word! I was thinking the same thing when I saw this post earlier today. @caddisfly, you been zippin' out like crazy! So fun
4chsmu1.gif

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Rocket Puppy and Huckleberried, Thank you so very much. That's about the nicest thing you could say to me. I'm also glad that I've got my taste buds back and I have you two and the rest of the threadies to point the way when I go wrong. I think I'll wait until I have a little more experience before I tried that. Besides I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to how to set up a blog/book though I appreciate the suggestion.

Just enjoy the recipes. That's enough for me.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Word! I was thinking the same thing when I saw this post earlier today. @caddisfly, you been zippin' out like crazy! So fun
4chsmu1.gif
Cool smiley icon HUCKLEBERRIED! I love it!

Many have been trying to perfect the perfect vanilla vape. Um, nope, I haven't yet:mad:. However after some reading I stumbled upon a thread somewhere that gave the following suggestions...try using a small amount of coffee or cappuccino to deepen the flavor. Try a small amount of chocolate or tfa white chocolate to deepen the flavor. Mixed up my 3 FA vanillas before reading the above...2% of bourbon and Tahiti, 1% classic...dry, not vanillay enough, nor sweet enough. Added 1% Vienna cream, still no, Added .5% fresh cream, still no, added .25% Brown sugar extra, uh nope...taste the sugar, added .25% coconut, not bad, but taste the spice in coconut, added .25% Jamaican Rum, hmmmm, then added .25% FA chocolate...uh...yes it did deepen the flavor w/o tasting it. I will try adding chocolate to each fa vanilla separately as well as white chocolate. I will definitely omit Brown sugar and coconut. Wondering how oba oba would do in vanilla....anyway if you try something please let me know your results. Oh in the thread I read cotton candy was the suggested sweetner

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Many have been trying to perfect the perfect vanilla vape. Um, nope, I haven't yet:mad:. However after some reading I stumbled upon a thread somewhere that gave the following suggestions...try using a small amount of coffee or cappuccino to deepen the flavor. Try a small amount of chocolate or tfa white chocolate to deepen the flavor. Mixed up my 3 FA vanillas before reading the above...2% of bourbon and Tahiti, 1% classic...dry, not vanillay enough, nor sweet enough. Added 1% Vienna cream, still no, Added .5% fresh cream, still no, added .25% Brown sugar extra, uh nope...taste the sugar, added .25% coconut, not bad, but taste the spice in coconut, added .25% Jamaican Rum, hmmmm, then added .25% FA chocolate...uh...yes it did deepen the flavor w/o tasting it. I will try adding chocolate to each fa vanilla separately as well as white chocolate. I will definitely omit Brown sugar and coconut. Wondering how oba oba would do in vanilla....anyway if you try something please let me know your results. Oh in the thread I read cotton candy was the suggested sweetner

Vanillin is supposed to boost Vanilla also...
Still playing with that one, and also chasing the vanilla thing.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dont even get me started on the vanilla thing. Ive been trying to make a solid VANILLA custard for the last few months. I can get the custard part down, it smells like vanilla, but is nowhere near what vanilla should taste like. I need to pull the trigger on some vanillin and see where that takes me.

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just before coming here I made a bunch of Vanilla testers. Was planning on comparing my FW Madagascar Vanilla with FA Classic. Realized I have a ton of Vanilla flavors I hadn't tried individually. FW Vanilla Custard , Vanillan, French Vanilla, Vanilla Swirl etc. So now I've got 12 testers and wondering about adding chocolate. I've read adding malt can add body and want to try that too.

Edited to add that this reminds me of trying to make a good chocolate malt. The vanilla was used to enhance the chocolate instead of the other way around. The first recipe I tried to create myself was a Chocolate Malt.

Last edited:

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last edited:

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

If you perfect it Daintanee, I'll vape it. Working on something that subtle would be a frustrating exercise for me. You might be on to something with Oba Oba. It seems to be a sorta neutral carrying agent to me, adding a little bit of body and sweetness, without changing any flavor.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well damn! I was hoping to be lazy and have someone else do it for me! You really must learn to read in between the lines Caddisfly. I'm kidding! What else have I got to do when I'm not caring for 4 children? I really enjoy experimenting in my free time. I consider myself new to this, but I will remain determined! I will see with oba oba. It'll definitely get a drop of chocolate. I do have vanillin, but I just don't like it so far....I don't think oba oba will sweeten it enough....maybe a drop of caramel or butterscotch...maybe some vanillin. I'll post back when I figure it out, but as so many have tried we all may be in nursing homes by then!

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well damn! I was hoping to be lazy and have someone else do it for me! You really must learn to read in between the lines Caddisfly. I'm kidding! What else have I got to do when I'm not caring for 4 children? I really enjoy experimenting in my free time. I consider myself new to this, but I will remain determined! I will see with oba oba. It'll definitely get a drop of chocolate. I do have vanillin, but I just don't like it so far....I don't think oba oba will sweeten it enough....maybe a drop of caramel or butterscotch...maybe some vanillin. I'll post back when I figure it out, but as so many have tried we all may be in nursing homes by then!
LOL! You should have never brought it up Daintanee. Now you're stuck.
107.gif

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL! You should have never brought it up Daintanee. Now you're stuck.
107.gif
Very well, but just so you know I'm the type of person who hears a joke and doesn't get it. A week or month later I'm laughing my ass off for no apparent reason and everyone around me is confused..but I know why I'm laughing..so I just let them be confused and continue to laugh!

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do hope you succeed. Discerning between vanillas is beyond me still.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think what everyone wants is a "good" Vanilla Ice Cream flavor.
That's what I want anyway.
Problem is, 80%, (guessing here), of the real stuff comes from a Cow.
Which is Milk, Cream, Real Whipping Cream, and (Real Butter).
Vanilla is most likely a smaller percentage, along with some others.
Sugar is a big player in this as well, I believe.
To me, even the flavorings with the bad stuff can't replicate the Cow very well.
Maybe more Creams and less Vanilla is the answer, IDK.

Good Luck, maybe someday, one of us will nail it.

I've also heard rave reviews about DIYFS Holy Vanilla too, but I haven't tried it yet.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I deleted this post because I thought there might be a question of appropriateness. I apologize to you all.

Last edited:

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of my Favorite juices is Drake's Vanilla Trifecta. I have tried several combinations of vanillas and nothing comes close so far. There is definetly more than just vanilla in there.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Getting better....
3% vanilla classic
2% Vienna cream
2% vanillin
.25% chocolate
.25% oba oba
.25% caramel

All fa except vanillin. Much creamier, a little malty, sweet enough...not enough vanilla. Hmmm, wondering if .25% anise might make it cooler for your ice cream...don't have koolada or menthol to try. Classic vanilla is all gone:(. Don't use oba if u don't want malt taste. More vanillas on way. Gonna give some tfa white chocolate a try in this

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think that HIC mentioned here somewhere that real Ice Cream had some Maple, Molasses, and/or Licorice too.

I'd bet that all the flavoring company experts have been trying to get this "Cow Flavor" for a long time:D.

Signed: Utterly Ridiculous

Frito

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK, my first FA order came in and I had to mix up something quick to try. I made HIC's thin mint cookie and I have to say I'm really impressed so far. It hasn't even steeped yet and it is already really good. I think I'm going to like FA. Thanks for all the help everyone. Now, back to the lab. I've got work to do. :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Dont even get me started on the vanilla thing. Ive been trying to make a solid VANILLA custard for the last few months. I can get the custard part down, it smells like vanilla, but is nowhere near what vanilla should taste like. I need to pull the trigger on some vanillin and see where that takes me.

i love vanillin.. between .25% up to 2% yummerzz :)

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, my first FA order came in and I had to mix up something quick to try. I made HIC's thin mint cookie and I have to say I'm really impressed so far. It hasn't even steeped yet and it is already really good. I think I'm going to like FA. Thanks for all the help everyone. Now, back to the lab. I've got work to do. :)
Oh yea Frito! FA is easier. Nice to see you happy...perfect cow vanilla for us all while you're in the lab, will you?

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think that HIC mentioned here somewhere that real Ice Cream had some Maple, Molasses, and/or Licorice too.

I'd bet that all the flavoring company experts have been trying to get this "Cow Flavor" for a long time:D.

Signed: Utterly Ridiculous
Sweet, I got maple coming, 4 vanillas, caps custard,! Maybe I should just make my own extract from grass...that's what cows eat, yes?

Slvrdragin41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/smokys-snow-with-and-without-colors.45385/

Has anyone tried SMOKY`s snow yet?

http://www.nicvape.com/ She says it's the best French vanilla she's tried. I looked at the price and have yet to order.

I just went to nicvape website and 25% off flavoring so I ordered the nv French vanilla & butterscotch... both 10 ml. Bottles. Total with shipping was just over $10! Incase anyone is interested.
Smoky's snow is ALL that and the slice of bread! I've gone through 60 mL!!!!!! Highly recommend it. Thanks for sharing, Smoky

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smoky's snow is ALL that and the slice of bread! I've gone through 60 mL!!!!!! Highly recommend it. Thanks for sharing, Smoky
That's great slvrdragin! It's quite the chore when one starts to get all these flavors. I've got everything coming except tfa coconut! Errr. Drats!

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love seeing others' progress. It points me in the right direction
Sweet, I got maple coming, 4 vanillas, caps custard,! Maybe I should just make my own extract from grass...that's what cows eat, yes?
Boy, that would be some complicated chemistry homework! Synthesis of milk from grass, minus cow, is technically possible though.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love seeing others' progress. It points me in the right direction

Boy, that would be some complicated chemistry homework! Synthesis of milk from grass, minus cow, is technically possible though.
Yeah I never excelled at math! All 4 of my brothers did though. I was just gonna put in a food processor with water since that is what they drink. Then boil it down kinda like moving through the cows system. Drain solids...gosh no wonder it's hard to get a good vanilla vape.
As for others direction...yup wanna run the opposite way from mine. Lol

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dont forget the 4 stomachs and the miniature voodoo shaman in their lower intestine. Replicate those and bam! Perfect vanilla!

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you both Daintanee and Huckleberried. It was just a suggestion might be construed by some as trying to involve kids in vaping by those trying to put us down. I had second thoughts and deleted it out of a concern for the community.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm my thread in general discussion diy has mysteriously vanished about mamajs. Huck started a new one in the flavor vendor reviews. Just letting all know Wllmc has 25% off his specialty flavors this Friday the 13th! Good morning everyone!

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, the great flavor mystery in my life is about to be solved. Have I been using FA Peach or FA White Peach? I have both sitting at the post office in town and scheduled to be delivered today. Unfortunately, The only place I could find both peaches and in stock is the same place that mislabeled, or sent the wrong flavor, in the first place. Also I have to work today so it will be later today before I can report back. I'm sure your all holding you breath. Please breathe. :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, that's odd. If wllmc had started the post, I would understand it more. With that said, I don't know the unlisted vendor rules, either.

On another note... I just saw in another thread that yesterday, February 10th was a very special day for one of our long time buddies. Happy Vapeversary @misswish!! Congratulations, dear.

VU Sponsors