Become a Patron!

gathering my DIY supplies/tool/knowledge

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I am starting out with this. a few questions to get started.

VG, is it a bad idea to use straight VG ? I like VG heavy juices, but have never tried 100%, or even if I should, idk.

scales. I think the most I will ever mix at one time/flavor 120ml. how much does 120ml Vg weight ?
in other words 100gm or 500gm ? well, now that I think about it = I have a few glass bottles I will be reusing. so probably a 500gm scale ?

what is the smallest amount to mix to test flavors ?

thanx

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Its hard to get to 100%VG since most of the flavors are carried in PG. I mix as max as possible with VG and in mixes that do not require a ton of flavoring can achieve 90-93% generally and as low as 75-80% VG content.

If you get on e-liquid-recipes and setup an account, when you put together your mixes it will give you the weights. Great feature.

you will get plenty of different answers on how small to mix testers. I shoot for 10-15ml depending on how much faith I have in the concoction.

You are going to love DIY.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

VG, is it a bad idea to use straight VG ? I like VG heavy juices, but have never tried 100%, or even if I should, idk.

scales. I think the most I will ever mix at one time/flavor 120ml. how much does 120ml Vg weight ?
in other words 100gm or 500gm ? well, now that I think about it = I have a few glass bottles I will be reusing. so probably a 500gm scale ?

thanx
My scale weighs 100 grams. That's a 120ml bottle with 60ml of juice in it for me. Comes to 97.something grams. Your flavorings are pg based so it's harder to get 100% vg. But you can get 90 or so if that's what your looking for

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Its hard to get to 100%VG since most of the flavors are carried in PG. I mix as max as possible with VG and in mixes that do not require a ton of flavoring can achieve 90-93% generally and as low as 75-80% VG content.

If you get on e-liquid-recipes and setup an account, when you put together your mixes it will give you the weights. Great feature.

you will get plenty of different answers on how small to mix testers. I shoot for 10-15ml depending on how much faith I have in the concoction.

thanx guys

so, your saying I shouldn't, at least for now, get any PG ?

brands of VG PG ? juicy lucy said Essential Depot on amazon.
and she said bullcityflavors, looks good to me.

syringes and/or pipets ? funnels ?

10-15ml = great

I am probably going to hate it, at least after waisting the first 5 batches.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like Jwill stated I'd get on elr.com and find some recipes that interest you and buy just those flavors for now. A lot easier to mix someone else's stuff than come up with your own concoction. That's still what I do except for a few good ones. I've had some bad too. You'll find there's like 30of each flavor. Lol. Some go good with other, some dont

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
thanx guys

10-15ml = great

PG is a preference thing entirely. If most VG based flavorings didnt suck or take a gallon to make it happen I would vape 100% VG. Just a preference.
Its also a preference thing with brands of VG, PG and Nic. I use Nude Nicotine for everything. VG and Nic.
BCF is definitely a good place to start and now is a good time with their Black Friday "CYBERSHOP" code.

If it were me starting out, I would get a couple of beaker sets for $10-15 on Amazon and some glass stirring rods. I squirt from the bottles they come in and use the stirring rods until I drop them and they break.

I think you are going to love it. If you like vaping, like changing flavors and not afraid to screw up a little in the name of science, you will fall all the way to the bottom of the rabbit hole. Best advice I have is hang out in the mixing thread and start out on other proven recipes while you figure everything out.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
PG is a preference thing entirely. If most VG based flavorings didnt suck or take a gallon to make it happen I would vape 100% VG. Just a preference.
Its also a preference thing with brands of VG, PG and Nic. I use Nude Nicotine for everything. VG and Nic.
BCF is definitely a good place to start and now is a good time with their Black Friday "CYBERSHOP" code.

If it were me starting out, I would get a couple of beaker sets for $10-15 on Amazon and some glass stirring rods. I squirt from the bottles they come in and use the stirring rods until I drop them and they break.

I think you are going to love it. If you like vaping, like changing flavors and not afraid to screw up a little in the name of science, you will fall all the way to the bottom of the rabbit hole. Best advice I have is hang out in the mixing thread and start out on other proven recipes while you figure everything out.
If you go in the mixing thread hold on to your wallet. Everything sounds so dang delicious. I started making one flavor. Mega melons. Not I have 2 boxes of flavorings and make more than I can vape. Lol. But I love it. Made to order, your way.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
thanx guys. keep it coming.

I can't order anything right now. there are many options. I am looking at Nude Nic. think I should just get a bottle of pre nic'd VG ?
and a bottle of nic, sometimes I will want a higher kick. but for now 6mg will be fine.

what is Nud Nic shipping costs like ? a 500ml 6mg VG is $11. have yet to look at their flavor prices.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not sure if Nude Nicotine has changed their mixture in the last few years, but the 100mg VG (four liters) I bought 5 years ago is as good as the day it arrived. No discoloration or difference in taste whatsoever. I'm working my way through 500ml bottles, one at a time. Damn good stuff.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
thanx guys. keep it coming.

I can't order anything right now. there are many options. I am looking at Nude Nic. think I should just get a bottle of pre nic'd VG ?
and a bottle of nic, sometimes I will want a higher kick. but for now 6mg will be fine.

what is Nud Nic shipping costs like ? a 500ml 6mg VG is $11. have yet to look at their flavor prices.
I'd suggest going to NicRiver. They have mostly everything you'll need at one place. Great prices, tons of flavors, VG, PG, Nic (And it's good nic). You get free shipping over $50. If you can wait a week for your stuff get it from them. It might even take over a week, they've been having trouble out in California with fires and such. But they are a reliable source.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
thanx guys

10-15ml = great

What everyone else has said......and if you use a scale(IMO the easiest and fastest and cleanest), you wouldn’t need any of the syringes, etc.....

If you really wanna play it safe and not over buy, maybe Liquid Barns premixed pg/vg/nic might interest you? You can get it in varying nic strengths and pg/vg ratios. Just a thought........

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I just placed my order at Liquid Barn. I wanted nic river because of ALL the flovors, but my computer kept locking up in the flavor room = 4 hours to pic flavors = not good.

125ml 100mg nic, 1000ml VG, flavors, few chubby gorilla bottles 30 ml, $60 worth.. I will get a scale on amazon.

THANX for your help.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just placed my order at Liquid Barn. I wanted nic river because of ALL the flovors, but my computer kept locking up in the flavor room = 4 hours to pic flavors = not good.

125ml 100mg nic, 1000ml VG, flavors, few chubby gorilla bottles 30 ml, $60 worth.. I will get a scale on amazon.

THANX for your help.
Welcome to the Darker Side. Lol

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team

This would have been my answer.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I'm liking to think its "the smarter side". as this will save me a bunch of $$$. and, eventually, will my flavors will be much better.

It can be more economical unless one of the mixers swoons you into some never ending rabbit like of deliciousness. You really are going to love DIY dude. Its a game changer, legitimately.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It can be more economical unless one of the mixers swoons you into some never ending rabbit like of deliciousness. You really are going to love DIY dude. Its a game changer, legitimately.
All true.....especially the swooning part.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
You are going to get into it and love it man. It is one of my favorite parts of vaping now that I am organized and started using ELR as it was meant to be.

Last edited:

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So the one piece of advice I have is don’t give up. You’re gonna screw up. You’re gonna make some truly awful mixes. You’re gonna “think” these flavors go together and they don’t....or maybe they do but not the way you set them up. Do research. Use the diy community. Try other people’s mixes first to get a feel for the flavors. Do single flavor testing! It’s tedious, but necessary to get an idea about what YOU taste. Because everyone’s taste buds are different. <3

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
^^^This is the best advice you'll get. And yes the testers are tedious but until you get some experience necessary. Take notes as well or you'll be like me and forget which brand of this goes better with this brand of that.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm liking to think its "the smarter side". as this will save me a bunch of $$$. and, eventually, will my flavors will be much better.
Even if you don't save, you will have a boat load more of juice for your $ :D. I don't think I save much by DIYing but I'm not trying to either. I'm what you call a flavor-aholic. I want to taste them all. There is no "ADV" to me. I vape some really awesome mixes but grow tired of them. I'm lucky if I can enjoy them for a few months then it's on to the next thing.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So the one piece of advice I have is don’t give up. You’re gonna screw up. You’re gonna make some truly awful mixes. You’re gonna “think” these flavors go together and they don’t....or maybe they do but not the way you set them up. Do research. Use the diy community. Try other people’s mixes first to get a feel for the flavors. Do single flavor testing! It’s tedious, but necessary to get an idea about what YOU taste. Because everyone’s taste buds are different. <3

I DO NOT plan to give up. but I DO plan to screw up = nature of the beast.

plan A = try straight flavors, then strawberry and cream. while doing that, I will ask here what I should try with what I have.
at the same time, checking out ELR. I am not in a terrible hurry, but I do "hope" to come up with something I can use till I come up with something else. and I have at least 2 weeks of bought that I can fall back on.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
You'll be wanting to look for some shake and vape recipes. Type that into the ELR search engine, there are some good ones over there and here on the mixing thread.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I DO NOT plan to give up. but I DO plan to screw up = nature of the beast.

plan A = try straight flavors, then strawberry and cream. while doing that, I will ask here what I should try with what I have.
at the same time, checking out ELR. I am not in a terrible hurry, but I do "hope" to come up with something I can use till I come up with something else. and I have at least 2 weeks of bought that I can fall back on.
Excellent!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I buy my Nicotine in VG and make Max VG all the time using VGD or VG Dominant flavorings. Many Manufactures offer both PG and VG in flavorings so if you want you can get pretty damn close to 100% VG if you want. I have found though that over 80 and close to 90% VG is just too thick to easily work with. By this I mean dispensing into tanks not dripping or actual mixing.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Who did you order from? BCF is lightning quick regardless if shipping is free.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
thanx steve. everything I got is VG. I have premade 80/20 now, its just fine.

I have yet to get a shipped email :wait: . free shipping = back of the line.
No it really doesn’t. Some companies it takes up to 3 days for order fulfillment. If the vendor is shipping out of California the fires could slow things down as well.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to the Darker Side. Lol

You invited me to the darker side, I don't have any room in this tiny apartment with no closets for any more things Sol I got someone who's making the juice for me but the bottles she uses are good for transport and not vaping and I need some bottles. You can see my link with what I am needing as far as specifications under DIY, and I also just put a reply to my link asking for someone to make a juice for me and put your name with an at sign before it so you will see it.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years

thanx
Aren't there 10 liquid mg in 10 mL?

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
thanx guys

10-15ml = great

I do not make my own juice, but have tried a lot of different ones, and the PG is responsible for most of the flavor and BG is responsible for most of the clouds, so I think most people would prefer a mix with at least some PG in it for good flavor. I could be wrong because like I said I don't make my own, but my favorite all-day Vape that I have been using for over 4 years with nothing else being as good and strong tasting has a 20% or more PG.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Pg helps with speeding up the steeping process but imo high vg juices are just as flavorful. They just need more time to mature and are so much smoother. Worth the payoff for me to give it the time.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Pg helps with speeding up the steeping process but imo high vg juices are just as flavorful. They just need more time to mature and are so much smoother. Worth the payoff for me to give it the time.
I microwave steep my juices and it works really well. You shake the juice up and put it in the microwave for 8 - 15 seconds depending on the size of the bottle. Didn't put it in the freezer for 10 minutes shaking it up afterwards. Then repeat the whole process and Shake did use in between the freezer and the microwave and after you are done. You shake the juice very well during every step- but ESPECIALLY after it comes out of the microwave. I just did that to six bottles I thought I would not be able to use that I ordered for Black Friday and so far all of them are much stronger tasting and better now.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Speed steeping can be useful but I prefer letting time do its thing, prevents heat degradation.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Speed steeping can be useful but I prefer letting time do its thing, prevents heat degradation.
My money is often tight and I cannot order what I need until the last minute.. so I'm usually out or almost out when it gets to me, and I'm very impatient so I microwave steep mine and have always gotten great taste out of them. -If I had extra time to do it the old-fashioned way I might try again, but I did try that one time and it didn't seem to make a difference in the taste.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tried Microwave Heating of e-Liquids one time but it got too hot too fast~! Never again because the temperature got over 150°F which degrades Nicotine. I used to use an electric mixer and hot water baths but have gone to a simple Incandescent bulb for heating. Keeps the bottles at 100°F and speeds the infusion.

VU Sponsors