Become a Patron!

Here We Go Again- Man in critical condition after e-cigarette explosion

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1st impression,,he got punched in the mouth ,no burnt tissue any where

i have seen that same ecig just recently somewhere ??

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So... Hybrid cap?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How come it's all fox that reports these "stories"? I don't trust fox for any" news". Also I can't trust any article that fails to spell check before being published, or a "reporter" who doesn't even even try to correct e-sag. Shows haste in pushing a story. But certain to say hey we set up a page for donations though!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, looks like another hybrid connection mech with a subohm tank that shouldn't be used with a hybrid.
Edit: Doesn't look like a hybrid connection, how did he manage to do that? Cheap $2 china battery?

You would hope shops wouldn't sell a hybrid to a noob or at least pair it with an appropriate rebuildable with a 510 pin that extends past the negative and a stern warning against using the mech with any subohm tank but there are some vape shop employees that don't know their elbow from their ass holes.
Or they don't give a shit and just want to get a sale out the door because there is so much competition now. Seems like there are as many vape shops as there are starbucks now... that and pot dispensaries, one on every corner.

Last edited:

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hybrid or not, if he has a short in the tank then it will vent. I don't think those steam punk mods come hybrid. I might be wrong. Not educating the consumer is a huge problem that needs to get fixed ASAP. This is going to be blown way up especially since the FDA is all over us.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Dear god another fucking Mech..
If anything this is fucking us all shop owners selling Mechs to anyone..
This is just making things worse and worse
They should be given a basic test if they are in a shop buying their first mech from that shop.
If they fail the test then they should only be allowed to buy regulated mods.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The FDA only needed one example. I don't think new stories will have any effect. There are no safety checks in a mech mod and thus I don't believe the FDA would approve one.

These stories will be used in the same manner as pictures of black lungs shown to kids for antismoking campaigns.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with the comment for shop owners to just not sell mechs to anyone but "verified" advanced users. "Verified" would be subjective I know, but these stories can be almost non-existent if noobs stop using mechs. Im not saying make it a law, as that would be silly...but if shop owners would just make it an unwritten rule.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Who says it came from a B&M?
Exactly! I bought mine right here in the hardware thread because it was pretty, no lies to tell. But it sat on a shelf until I combed this forum and read everything I could find on its operation and battery and build safety before I even attempted to use it. Used it for about a week before I went right back to my regulated boxes, didn't impress me.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Hybrid or not, if he has a short in the tank then it will vent. I don't think those steam punk mods come hybrid. I might be wrong. Not educating the consumer is a huge problem that needs to get fixed ASAP. This is going to be blown way up especially since the FDA is all over us.
the stream punk mods don't come with a derlin protector on the bottom switch.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, a noobs can buy gear online for better prices than a B&M but that would have to be the minority. The majority of noobs go to a vape shop for direction... but that guy may very well have been the exception.

And agree, regulated for all noobs.
You used to need a mech cuz regulated limits were too low.
Now you have mega cloudz mods for cheap, no reason to mech.

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha!...I was sold a Caravela mech mod at a B/M and I had just started vaping with an ego batt and c4 clearomizers...The Guy also gave Me an 510 to ego adapter so I could use My stock of c4s I had bought at the liquor/Tobacco store....I had went in to the B/M to buy some juice and came out with some good tasting juice AND a mech mod,with a GIZFAN 18650 but no charger!...The mod or the batt had no box.no info,no instructions,not even a friendly warning or heads up about it from the kid behind the counter.....I searched about e-cig stuff and found My Home!...V.U. ....Z

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm going to call bullshit on this story, for 2 reasons.
#1 His location
#2 The majority of vapors in his location DON'T put juice in their mods. Therefor they need extremely high temps to MELT what they actually put in the tank.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
True, a noobs can buy gear online for better prices than a B&M but that would have to be the minority. The majority of noobs go to a vape shop for direction... but that guy may very well have been the exception.

And agree, regulated for all noobs.
You used to need a mech cuz regulated limits were too low.
Now you have mega cloudz mods for cheap, no reason to mech.

The news needs to include that the website or wherever said it was an advanced user item cause you know it did.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm surprised there aren't a lot more of these stories. A lady at work who vapes was talking about the story and said the B&M near her tried to sell her a hybrid mech set up and RDA, when she just wanted an eGo...

bri66799

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great more heat on vaping I never want to smoke a cigarette again and if I'm not able to get my vape supplies I'm going to be flipping

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

bri66799

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This might be a stupid question but this usually only happens with mechanical mods right because there's no digital regulator?

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm surprised there aren't a lot more of these stories. A lady at work who vapes was talking about the story and said the B&M near her tried to sell her a hybrid mech set up and RDA, when she just wanted an eGo...

It really pisses me off. There are a shit load of B&Ms that have no business being B&Ms. They are looking to make that big sale and not worried about educating the new vaper. It makes me sick. There are so many instances where the vaper's needs could be met with a kanger sub tank, and box kit. Instead they want to sell them a hybrid mod and atty, without explaining it. If a customer walks in, and doesn't specifically ask for a mech, they probably don't need one. They are awesome, and I love them.... however, I've been vaping for years. A new vaper is being put at risk. The new vapers are the most important vapers.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This might be a stupid question but this usually only happens with mechanical mods right because there's no digital regulator?

Correct. This typically happens because of improper use of an unregulated device. Most box mods with a chip on board will have short circuit protection and such. I always recommend regulated to everyone unless they know what they are doing.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Poorly made or malfunctioning regulated mods can and have had safety issues, as well...

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It really pisses me off. There are a shit load of B&Ms that have no business being B&Ms. They are looking to make that big sale and not worried about educating the new vaper. It makes me sick. There are so many instances where the vaper's needs could be met with a kanger sub tank, and box kit. Instead they want to sell them a hybrid mod and atty, without explaining it. If a customer walks in, and doesn't specifically ask for a mech, they probably don't need one. They are awesome, and I love them.... however, I've been vaping for years. A new vaper is being put at risk. The new vapers are the most important vapers.

I'm really getting tired of the comments I see and hear from women, about some of the B&M that truly intimidate them. I know we want people to feel relaxed, and in a friendly environment.

But let's face it, we don't see many evening gowns and high heels at the local biker bar or hillbilly watering hole. There's a reason for that.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree, especially in the fact that a lot of their employees are in sales but know nothing about the product other than taking the money and bagging it up.
When I go to the pharmacy for prescription medications, the pharmacist always asks if I have any questions about the medicine, even if it's for my husband and he isn't with me. Then she goes over the "instruction" leaflet they staple to the bag. I appreciate that, even if I'm already thoroughly aware of the information. Any medical equipment I've ever picked up for him, a salesperson would go over the equipment and tell me how to operate it.
Would it be such an imposition to have someone on staff at a b&m to make sure their products came with verbal and written instructions?

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly! I bought mine right here in the hardware thread because it was pretty, no lies to tell. But it sat on a shelf until I combed this forum and read everything I could find on its operation and battery and build safety before I even attempted to use it. Used it for about a week before I went right back to my regulated boxes, didn't impress me.
Same here. I was into APV's for about 6 months before I popped on a mech and it still sat unused for another month or so before I built to actually use it.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And, here we go. :D
Sure I have my vapageden mechs but, seriously, whats the point? Regulated all the way. Any vaper in the know, knows regulated is going to be a far better vape. And noobs should be pointed towards a regulated mod after their pens.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This thread cracks me up.

You can walk into most any store and buy things that will fuck you up or kill you if you don't know what the fuck you're doing. There is no test. The clerk doesn't give a shit and probably doesn't know anything any way.

Blaming B&M's because an individual fucked up is ridiculous.

Since this is turkey season, here is a good example. U.S. fire departments are responding to more than 1,000 fires each year in which a deep fryer is involved. Nobody has to pass a test and the sales clerk at Walmart doesn't ask if you know what you're doing when you buy a deep fryer or oil.

I've never seen a group so intent on having somebody else hold every ones hand as I see with vapers in these threads.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sure I have my vapageden mechs but, seriously, whats the point? Regulated all the way. Any vaper in the know, knows regulated is going to be a far better vape. And noobs should be pointed towards a regulated mod after their pens.

Agreed, but there are the rabid die hards.

bri66799

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Correct. This typically happens because of improper use of an unregulated device. Most box mods with a chip on board will have short circuit protection and such. I always recommend regulated to everyone unless they know what they are doing.
I have a Joyetech evic vt and I'm pretty happy with it I have Kanger sub-tank minis and one smok tfv4 mini which I'm starting to really enjoy but it eats a lot of juice and my backup is an I stick 40 tc

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Agreed, but there are the rabid die hards.

i have both ,i still prefer my full mecs

far better vape is all in the build ,not the mod

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a Joyetech evic vt and I'm pretty happy with it I have Kanger sub-tank minis and one smok tfv4 mini which I'm starting to really enjoy but it eats a lot of juice and my backup is an I stick 40 tc

Those evics are great. Just a solid Vaping experience

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This is the biggest problem is damn shops seeing $$. You're gonna get repeat business and in the long run make more by people coming back who get the vape they want and not the one they don't. Some folks are perfectly happy on say a nautilus and an istick or a spinner battery. Hell most people have no clue about batteries, so you really think they're gonna immediately understand coil wrapping and resistance? This horse keeps getting beat unfortunately because it keeps coming back to life over and over again. After a few yrs of vaping I recently picked up my first mech, angelcigs bamboo clone for like $10, non hybrid. I use it some, but changing batteries every half an hr or so isn't the way I wanna vape every day, especially out and about.

I definitely believe that shops need to be more careful when they sell to people. I went to buy a tank a few months ago and the guy was actively trying to sell me a tugboat mech mod with a hybrid cap. I told him if he sold that to anyone it would blow up on them and of course because I'm just a consumer he didn't believe me. Long story short, when hiring employees, vaping store need to make sure they're educated about the products they're selling and the safety guidelines every new vaper needs to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have both ,i still prefer my full mecs

far better vape is all in the build ,not the mod
I've had a smok X cube mini, smoke XM 80 plus, sigelei 100 W and an istick 100 W, I still prefer my mechs. Way more comfortable and if you have a good battery and a nice build, they can chuck just as much if not more than a regulated box mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This thread cracks me up.

You can walk into most any store and buy things that will fuck you up or kill you if you don't know what the fuck you're doing. There is no test. The clerk doesn't give a shit and probably doesn't know anything any way.

Blaming B&M's because an individual fucked up is ridiculous.

Since this is turkey season, here is a good example. U.S. fire departments are responding to more than 1,000 fires each year in which a deep fryer is involved. Nobody has to pass a test and the sales clerk at Walmart doesn't ask if you know what you're doing when you buy a deep fryer or oil.

I've never seen a group so intent on having somebody else hold every ones hand as I see with vapers in these threads.

The problem with that is the FDA is not in the process of defacto banning 99% of all deep fryers and brands of oil right now.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
So will we be outlawing hampsters just because some famous movie stars choose to shove them up their rectums.

Once again, the FDA is not in the process of Defacto banning 99% of all hamsters at the moment.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once again, the FDA is not in the process of Defacto banning 99% of all hamsters at the moment.
well the should...there should be an FDA oversight on all rodents that can be safely shoved up your rectum....otherwise people will shove just any old rodent up their rectums...we need regulations.....

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The problem with that is the FDA is not in the process of defacto banning 99% of all deep fryers and brands of oil right now.

The FDA is going defacto ban mech mods whether the dumb ass that blew one one up in his mouth built it in is his garage, bought it online or at a B&M.

The do gooders in the country eat so no, they're not gonna call for bans on deep fryers even though there are orders of magnitude higher numbers of people hospitilized for grease burns.

The dumbest thing I've ever seen is vapers turning on their own under the pretense of avoiding regulation. The do gooders don't care iif it's one battery explosion or five. They don't care if you think B&M's should have a test. They only care about banning vaping. Vapers turning on their own just makes it easier. Blaming B&M's for the actions of an individual does you no good in curbing FDA regulation. It actually supports their position that the industry needs regulated.

I like you and agree with much of your positions, but your wrong on this one. Holding others accountable(B&M's) for the ignorance of an individual is what regulation is. To protect. Blaming B&M's is a huge mistake. Blame the asshole with missing teeth. He is responsible.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The FDA is going defacto ban mech mods whether the dumb ass that blew one one up in his mouth built it in is his garage, bought it online or at a B&M.

The do gooders in the country eat so no, they're not gonna call for bans on deep fryers even though there are orders of magnitude higher numbers of people hospitilized for grease burns.

The dumbest thing I've ever seen is vapers turning on their own under the pretense of avoiding regulation. The do gooders don't care iif it's one battery explosion or five. They don't care if you think B&M's should have a test. They only care about banning vaping. Vapers turning on their own just makes it easier. Blaming B&M's for the actions of an individual does you no good in curbing FDA regulation. It actually supports their position that the industry needs regulated.

I like you and agree with much of your positions, but your wrong on this one. Holding others accountable(B&M's) for the ignorance of an individual is what regulation is. To protect. Blaming B&M's is a huge mistake. Blame the asshole with missing teeth. He is responsible.

There is a moral to this story. Just try to finish it ;)

Just for a laugh, I will share a recent story of a do gooder (my SO).

She's a vegatarian, tree hugging, flaming heart liberal, and firmly states we could reduce global warming, by NOT eating beef. Because cows produce greenhouse gases. And the only reason the cow population is so high now, is because we raise them for food.

In my desire to continue having good sex. I countered with "Cows will breed whether we eat them or not. And a simple look at the deer population in the state of NY is a prime example of NOT controlling species numbers".

Which took us down the rabbit hole even further. She despises hunting of any kind, and I'm a trophy hunter. (She is aware of this, but agrees the sex is better than fighting about the issue)

My point, anyone can pick a fight.
Few of us actually win, from either side.
And there is a defacto movement afoot to undermine/outlaw the beef industry.

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I thought it was a full kanger setup. I was like how the freak did that blow up? Makes since. That's why I still refuse to use anything unregulated. I'm too pretty for my face to be on the ground.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My point, anyone can pick a fight.
Few of us actually win, from either side.
And there is a defacto movement afoot to undermine/outlaw the beef industry.

Being a small part of the beef industry myself and having been to propaganda meetings from a group claiming cow farts cause global warming, what I can tell you is that those in the beef industry don't blame hay farmers for selling hay that make cows fart. In other words, they don't turn on each other the way vapers do. ;)

Vapers turning on vape shops won't solve a damn thing. It's counter productive.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Being a small part of the beef industry myself and having been to propaganda meetings from a group claiming cow farts cause global warming, what I can tell you is that those in the beef industry don't blame hay farmers for selling hay that make cows fart. In other words, they don't turn on each other the way vapers do. ;)

Vapers turning on vape shops won't solve a damn thing. It's counter productive.

Excellent point. But someone has to.

It's always been the customer/public (IE vaper) that has rang the alarm bells. And until the industry is willing to police itself. It will be the vaper/customer doing it by word of mouth and social media.

Eventually the FDA will step in, and we'll all be poorer for it. Literally

Right now all I see is a HUGE money grab going on. The gravy train has almost reached the end of the line.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

oh it's the guy with the missing teeth fault.
He should/could have bought a fucking kbox along with the subtank.

VU Sponsors