Here We Go Again- Man in critical condition after e-cigarette explosion

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Excellent point. But someone has to.

It's always been the customer/public (IE vaper) that has rang the alarm bells. And until the industry is willing to police itself. It will be the vaper/customer doing it by word of mouth and social media.

Eventually the FDA will step in, and we'll all be poorer for it. Literally

Right now all I see is a HUGE money grab going on. The gravy train has almost reached the end of the line.

The Big Vapor free for all has taken hold of portions of the industry. It hasn't been about not smoking for a while now...

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
oh it's the guy with the missing teeth fault.
He should/could have bought a fucking kbox along with the subtank.
Personally responsibility goes a long way. The shops out there really need to be careful selling unregulated devices

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Excellent point. But someone has to.

It's always been the customer/public (IE vaper) that has rang the alarm bells. And until the industry is willing to police itself. It will be the vaper/customer doing it by word of mouth and social media.

Eventually the FDA will step in, and we'll all be poorer for it. Literally

Right now all I see is a HUGE money grab going on. The gravy train has almost reached the end of the line.

No, someone doesn't have to. This whole call for "self regulation" has been going on for years. How's that working out?

I'll tell you how it's working out. The very same things I've been watching vapers attack each other over in these threads for the last few months are the very things I now see in anti-vaping propaganda. I read about them all here at VU long before there was ever a media report about them.

The FDA is stepping in because vapers have been asking for it. And vapers are still asking for it.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
oh it's the guy with the missing teeth fault.

Yup. Unless someone else stuck the drip tip in his mouth and hit the fire button.

I never blew the teeth out of my head. Never will. I actually found this forum while researching vaping before I bought anything. I know it's a novel idea in today's world where people actually believe other people should be keeping them safe. But, those that rely on others for their safety seem to be blowing the teeth out of their heads, so I think I'll keep looking out for myself. The whole nanny thing doesn't seem to be working for some folks. It's their teeth. ;)

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No, someone doesn't have to. This whole call for "self regulation" has been going on for years. How's that working out?

I'll tell you how it's working out. The very same things I've been watching vapers attack each other over in these threads for the last few months are the very things I now see in anti-vaping propaganda. I read about them all here at VU long before there was ever a media report about them.

The FDA is stepping in because vapers have been asking for it. And vapers are still asking for it.

Yes, we're getting beaten over the head with our own stick. But it's not because of the vapers. It's because the industry circled the wagons to defend even the worst offenders.

Except China of course. Can't have all those Chinese dirtbags making millions off of some slob who would vape battery acid if someone gave it a nice video review.

And now, the industry and the consumer will pay the price.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Big Vapor free for all has taken hold of portions of the industry. It hasn't been about not smoking for a while now...
I'm still trying to figure out what "tits" have to do with vaping.

Don't confuse me any more than I already am Steve.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm still trying to figure out what "tits" have to do with vaping.

Don't confuse me any more than I already am Steve.
The ladies have me in a constant state of distraction, as of late, with Prague coming up in less than a month...

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, we're getting beaten over the head with our own stick. But it's not because of the vapers. It's because the industry circled the wagons to defend even the worst offenders.

LOL.

It's your story, tell it any way you like. I've seen just the opposite. A small but loud group of do-gooders changing the way even the largest chinese manufacturers do business.

Last edited:

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
LOL.

It's your story, tell it any way you like. I've seen just the opposite. A small but loud group of do-gooders changing the way even the largest chinese manufacturers do business.

I'd rather watch 20 minute YouTube videos about how Njoy is the bomb.

Those wagons just keep circling. Even though the local stores here will tell you, they rarely sell any of it. Despite having a huge display beside the register.

A little truth wouldn't hurt this industry at all.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd rather watch 20 minute YouTube videos about how Njoy is the bomb.

Those wagons just keep circling. Even though the local stores here will tell you, they rarely sell any of it. Despite having a huge display beside the register.

A little truth wouldn't hurt this industry at all.

You lost me. What is the industry lying about? What have they circled the wagons about?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Shhhh, go back to sleep.
26bceeeec8f17dbd6587e679a8a611ab.jpg

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At test to buy a mod? Sorry but to me that is bullshit. You have to be 18 years old to purchase one, that's where the responsibility of the seller ends and is picked up by the consumer.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
At test to buy a mod? Sorry but to me that is bullshit. You have to be 18 years old to purchase one, that's where the responsibility of the seller ends and is picked up by the consumer.

Volkswagen

:rolleyes:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Volkswagen

:rolleyes:

LOL. No Volkswagen blew up or otherwise injured anyone. The software program was a means to bypass government regulation.

If you want to use a car analogy for mech mods, It's like buying a car without an engine. The consumer then puts an engine in the car. It's the consumers responsibility to put an engine in the car that is safe. Putting a high power engine in a VW Golf would be a bad idea. Exceeding the structural limits of the car is unsafe just like exceeding the battery drain limit with a mech mod by putting too low ohm coil on a mech mod. There is no test to buy a car without an engine. It's not the junkyards fault that sold you the car if you kill yourself by not building it correctly.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am still wondering if anybody other then myself will notice that the mod pictured,has not exploded
Is i stated that is the actual mod after the explosion, or a picture of the mod before?

Last edited:

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is i stated that is the actual mod after the explosion, or a picture of the mod before?

I just want to know how in the hell it broke his neck?

And I question the mod also. Because there are no burn marks anywhere. No signs of overheating.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Let me say this again. I said the industry needs regulation. Not those proposed. Banning a mech is like Banning a flashlight. But I do believe we need some regulation, it's a mess. From this to liquid labs it's a mess.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just want to know how in the hell it broke his neck?

And I question the mod also. Because there are no burn marks anywhere. No signs of overheating.
I think it may just be a pic the guy had prior to the explosion, which his family provided. Many vapers have pics of their mods.
I wonder if when it exploded he jerked his neck back so fast it broke his neck, like a reflex when someone touches something hot, but I'm not sure that's even possible...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One can not prevent new vapers from buying potentially dangerous combinations of batteries, mods and toppers from the Internet, or even flea markets. In cases of mechs, I think this is where litigation will solve the issue much quicker than regulation. Enough B&Ms get sued out of existence and soon none will carry hybrid mechs, or even mechs, at all...

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just hope it's a revised version. Is there something meant to be inhaled directly other than tap water steam that isn't regulated?

That's an easy one. A Vic's Vapor machine, with wicks is not regulated, and any idiot can buy one.

There are Mech mods NOT being discussed in here, that can get you put in jail in some states.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's an easy one. A Vic's Vapor machine, with wicks is not regulated, and any idiot can buy one.

There are Mech mods NOT being discussed in here, that can get you put in jail in some states.
That's directly inhaled? If so Alright, that was a serious question. Is Vics (substance used in machine not brand) regulated though?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's directly inhaled? If so Alright, that was a serious question. Is Vics (substance used in machine not brand) regulated though?

Yes, some people use a wet towel to trap the vaper and keep their heads directly over the vents.

Vic's is a brand. It's ingested, inhaled, or rubbed on the body. And no it's not regulated.

My grandfather ate it, rubbed it on his body. And rubbed it inside his nose. And lived to be 100.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm not I was just looking for an example, if one existed. I know Vics is the brand I was wondering if the solvents like the rub vs the others say those to be used with humidifier were regulated.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, some people use a wet towel to trap the vaper and keep their heads directly over the vents.

Vic's is a brand. It's ingested, inhaled, or rubbed on the body. And no it's not regulated.

My grandfather ate it, rubbed it on his body. And rubbed it inside his nose. And lived to be 100.
I bet if it had nicotine in it as an ingredient it would be regulated...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If you want to use a car analogy for mech mods,

Where would a hybrid top cap adapter fall into this analogy?
Selling a car without a catalytic converter but swearing that it's in there?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I think it may just be a pic the guy had prior to the explosion, which his family provided. Many vapers have pics of their mods.
I wonder if when it exploded he jerked his neck back so fast it broke his neck, like a reflex when someone touches something hot, but I'm not sure that's even possible...
Notice the glass missing from the tank?
A lot of people on other boards are saying it was a car accident, dude had no license, mod jammed down throat, they are running a little scammy scam trying to get loot for a new car.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Yup, my wife saw my mech and immediately thought pipe bomb, won't even begin to discuss all the "weapons" I've seen made in to mechs, except the gang mod with the brass knuckle grip that's illegal almost everywhere.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LOL. No Volkswagen blew up or otherwise injured anyone. The software program was a means to bypass government regulation.

If you want to use a car analogy for mech mods, It's like buying a car without an engine. The consumer then puts an engine in the car. It's the consumers responsibility to put an engine in the car that is safe. Putting a high power engine in a VW Golf would be a bad idea. Exceeding the structural limits of the car is unsafe just like exceeding the battery drain limit with a mech mod by putting too low ohm coil on a mech mod. There is no test to buy a car without an engine. It's not the junkyards fault that sold you the car if you kill yourself by not building it correctly.

I think a better comparison would be somebody selling a Porsche to a 20 year old, then them speeding and having an accident due to losing control.
Was it the cars fault for not maintaining control?
Was it the manufacturers fault for making a fast car?
Was it the dealerships fault for selling a high end sports car to somebody that could afford it and could have sued for discrimination of the dealer refused sale?
Or was it the fault of the guy who *chose* to drive recklessly?

How many times have you heard of a dealership or auto manufacturer being blamed for making or selling a car that can go over the speed limit when reckless driving results in an accident? Never. It comes down to the driver's fault for not operating it responsibly.

Perhaps cars should be better regulated too. lol.

It's not the mod's fault he didn't use it properly.
It's not the battery's fault he didn't use it properly.
It's not the shop's fault for not teaching him properly.
It was his own fault for not properly using it, regardless of whether or not he knew.

Last edited:

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would love to know if ANY of these mods in these accidents were proven to come from a local shop....

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would love to know if ANY of these mods in these accidents were proven to come from a local shop....
Probably fast tech. Clone hybrid mech mod $10, Atlantis clone $15, ultrafire battery $5. Result? This is where shops can do everything they can but "I'm gonna look cool" vaping dude goes and buys what looks cool and like that stuff he saw in cloud comps. Even worse somebody buys a rda no ohm meter and wants to really chuck. We can only educate people so much, but the truth of the matter is if somebody's gonna buy something unsafe from the beginning and doesn't listen nor care there's nothing we can do.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

You have THIS genius selling these pipe bombs er "mod kits" to unsuspecting nitwits all day long.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mose-da/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

When they get their "kit" and it blows their face off or vents on their nutsack they will say exciting catch phrases like:

"I didn't know that this thing could explode"
"what's an OHM?"
and the ever so popular
"I thought this was supposed to be a safe way to smoke?"

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What's bad about those is not so much the devices included, although the battery connections switches and posts may be crap, and I saw cherry bombers in there. Every negative feedback I saw on one vape seller like that was for cherry bombers blowing their wad, imagine that. Those batteries tho, even those chargers won't charge a proper 18650, I've tried it when i was stupid, just flashed red and green. Unfortunately those things get sold all the time. Yes I do truly want a parallel unregulated box mod, but not a clone from some fly by night seller.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think a better comparison would be somebody selling a Porsche to a 20 year old, then them speeding and having an accident due to losing control.
Was it the cars fault for not maintaining control?
Was it the manufacturers fault for making a fast car?
Was it the dealerships fault for selling a high end sports car to somebody that could afford it and could have sued for discrimination of the dealer refused sale?
Or was it the fault of the guy who *chose* to drive recklessly?

How many times have you heard of a dealership or auto manufacturer being blamed for making or selling a car that can go over the speed limit when reckless driving results in an accident? Never. It comes down to the driver's fault for not operating it responsibly.

Perhaps cars should be better regulated too. lol.

It's not the mod's fault he didn't use it properly.
It's not the battery's fault he didn't use it properly.
It's not the shop's fault for not teaching him properly.
It was his own fault for not properly using it, regardless of whether or not he knew.

There was a point to the use of Volkswagon.

Many people paid a premium for those engines. They knew nothing about, and would never learn.

Many people got tax breaks, and were concerned that they would have to repay that money.

Many of the idiots, done it to save the world from global warming. And they'll need psychiatric treatment now. Due to the trauma caused by buying something they should have educated themselves on. Like this idiot with the mech.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There was a point to the use of Volkswagon.

Many people paid a premium for those engines. They knew nothing about, and would never learn.

Many people got tax breaks, and were concerned that they would have to repay that money.

Many of the idiots, done it to save the world from global warming. And they'll need psychiatric treatment now. Due to the trauma caused by buying something they should have educated themselves on. Like this idiot with the mech.

Ahh, I gotcha.
Sorry for not understanding. I'm guessing it was quite a while before I was old enough to drive :p

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where would a hybrid top cap adapter fall into this analogy?
Selling a car without a catalytic converter but swearing that it's in there?

No. That would be more like selling a mech mod and swearing it has TC. :p

There are thousands of aftermarket car parts/mods that require adapters and/or additional work for them to perform correctly/safely. For instance, I bought and used a BullyDog downloader on my truck greatly improving performance. Nobody asked if I knew what I was doing. If I had not also installed an EGT gauge to monitor, I could easily have blown my truck. It would have been my fault. That's just a one quick example.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
No. That would be more like selling a mech mod and swearing it has TC. :p

There are thousands of aftermarket car parts/mods that require adapters and/or additional work for them to perform correctly/safely. For instance, I bought and used a BullyDog downloader on my truck greatly improving performance,

Then selling a hybrid to cap adapter already on a mech with a subohm tank may be similar to selling you the truck with BullyDog downloader already used on it but not telling you that it was there?
Maybe?:D

VU Sponsors