Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And BTW, When is BCV getting the stuff?
They probably won't. Richard Hong, of FA North America (FANA) was approached with the statement that it was ironic that it wasn't going to be sold in the US due to high diketone content. This was his reply on one of the Facebook DIY pages:

Richard Hong: "... it has nothing to do with us not thinking the diy community can’t make educated decisions. It is more centralized under 1) our commitment in NA to not sell anything containing molecules that are harmful for our users and 2) to prepare for a regulatory environment in which flavours containing these molecules will be banned. We have taken a position with the FDA that we provide only clean flavours to this market and when a client goes around us to sell things we don’t allow in NA it really makes us look foolish as well as demeans our position as a clean supplier. I get it, I love flavours with bad things in them and use them often in my own mixes, but in this regulatory atmosphere we have to act responsibly as a company and take a hard stance against allowing these molecules to continue to be used in commercial eliquid. Anyone here can feel free to pm me if you’d like to talk more on it as this is really just a very basic summary of thoughts.
I should also note that it would be impossible for us to sell “dirty” flavours to just our resellers. You would be amazed at how many commercial manufacturers have made crazy offers for access to things like milk and whipped cream. If we carried it, it would find its way into commercial liquid..."

He also stated that once DIY Vapor Supply ran out, their inventory would not be replenished, and if they skirted around FANA an brought it in again, they would be dropped from their vendor list. Individual sized orders can be fulfilled directly from FA UK (and I'm assuming FA Italy), but vendor sized orders will not.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Yeah but the deepstate VU diy'ers here have been conspicuously quiet on the matter... :)
And in several cases, we already know <coff coff Teresa!> they have FA Premium Custard. :eek:... :gaah:

Neeeedd moaaarr innput...

And BTW, When is BCV getting the stuff?
They probably won't. Richard Hong, of FA North America (FANA) was approached with the statement that it was ironic that it wasn't going to be sold in the US due to high diketone content. This was his reply on one of the Facebook DIY pages:

Richard Hong: "... it has nothing to do with us not thinking the diy community can’t make educated decisions. It is more centralized under 1) our commitment in NA to not sell anything containing molecules that are harmful for our users and 2) to prepare for a regulatory environment in which flavours containing these molecules will be banned. We have taken a position with the FDA that we provide only clean flavours to this market and when a client goes around us to sell things we don’t allow in NA it really makes us look foolish as well as demeans our position as a clean supplier. I get it, I love flavours with bad things in them and use them often in my own mixes, but in this regulatory atmosphere we have to act responsibly as a company and take a hard stance against allowing these molecules to continue to be used in commercial eliquid. Anyone here can feel free to pm me if you’d like to talk more on it as this is really just a very basic summary of thoughts.
I should also note that it would be impossible for us to sell “dirty” flavours to just our resellers. You would be amazed at how many commercial manufacturers have made crazy offers for access to things like milk and whipped cream. If we carried it, it would find its way into commercial liquid..."

He also stated that once DIY Vapor Supply ran out, their inventory would not be replenished, and if they skirted around FANA an brought it in again, they would be dropped from their vendor list. Individual sized orders can be fulfilled directly from FA UK (and I'm assuming FA Italy), but vendor sized orders will not.
I was about to reply but yup @Teresa P hit the nail on the head.. I was going to grab me a 10ml from DIY V.S. but forget that lol. 6.95 to ship a 3 dollar bottle of flavoring I think I'll pass and just assume its as good as everyone says lol

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
While I definitely avoid diketones myself, there has only been anecdotal evidence at best of the impact in vaping.

I think higher concentrations of sweeteners in commercial juice, combined with high amounts of sweetener can have a far more detrimental effect than small amounts of diketones. Furthermore, certain flavourings like cinnamon and clove are already proven to be harmful.

I know there are studies being done currently on flavourings; I'm patiently waiting on the results.

NotSoMini

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My first store recipe with FA Premium Custard uses it as the main flavor. If you are looking for a recipe with just a hint of the flavoring - skip this one. I do not consider this a shake-and-vape; it really benefits from sitting a day or two at minimum, due to the multiple creamy flavors. I am one of the few vapors who does not like Capella Vanilla Custard. THIS is how I expect a vape version of real vanilla custard to taste.

New today at HIC's Mixes : Classic Crème Brûlée (note: contains diketones)
View attachment 99784
"The French call it Crème Brûlée; the British call it Trinity Custard. This is the authentic flavor of the rich, creamy, classic vanilla custard made with cream, sugar, vanilla, and eggs, capped with a thin crust of flame-caramelized sugar. This recipe requires only FlavourArt flavorings, including Premium Custard, which contains diketones. (One U.S. source for this flavoring is diyvaporsupply.com)

Vaping Classic Crème Brulee this morning that I mixed on Sunday. The custard is very good and personally I like it much better than CAP Vanilla Custard v1 and v2. Thank so much for this recipe.

I want to use FA Custard Premium in place of CAP Vanilla Custard, should I use the same percentage or less?

NotSoMini

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I actually found the discount code and managed to put in an order in 2017, barely ! I ordered cucumber, corn, custard premium, butter, whipped cream, pandoro, panettone,and tfa sweet woodruff. Thanks though :)

@HeadInClouds , any plans for a cornbread recipe in your store ? If not, any tips on how to approach the bread part ?

I think I may have typed the code incorrectly myself so glad it worked for you. I have the same flavors you bought except cucumber and panettone. Not sure why I didn't buy panettone because I do like to eat it so may need to put it on my 'shopping list'. Hopefully HIC will be coming up with some recipes.

NotSoMini

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FYI — when I contacted DIY Vapor Supply about carrying some of the Natures Flavors, I did ask them if they would consider adding first class shipping as an option. While I got the my request for Natures Flavors, I did not for other shipping options. Can’t win them all.

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FA Premium Custard has been mentioned a lot recently. I seem to recall someone saying you should try it standalone but I can’t find the post. Can someone suggest the % to use by itself? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FA Premium Custard has been mentioned a lot recently. I seem to recall someone saying you should try it standalone but I can’t find the post. Can someone suggest the % to use by itself? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2-2.5% is plenty. The first time, I used 4% and it was super rich but way too much. It was tasty, but the lower percentages are better.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

Because I'm now listing recipes like my Classic Crème Brûlée that require FlavourArt's with-diketone flavors, I'm going to detail my reasoning here.

I have huge respect for FlavourArt. Their advocacy for vaping, their safety testing, their employees, (and imo their flavorings) are unmatched in the industry. For years I've avoided talking online about FA's flavorings that contain diketones, despite using them myself. So why would I now change that? Here's just one example of the major reason:
http://www.ecigexpress.com/diy-e-li...weet-flavors/whipped-cream-by-flavourart.html
That's a well-known, major North-American reseller of FA flavors, selling 10ml, 30ml, or even 500ml of a flavor that has always contained diketones, obviously marketed to vapers. It's just one that's been available there for years.

So here's my reasoning:

* If FA is willing to supply selected resellers with diketone-containing flavorings, I won't keep pretending they don't exist. They aren't all great, but a few sure are!

* I never use flavorings with diketones if I can find tricks to work around them. I'm still constantly experimenting to find new ways to avoid/minimize diketones; it's like a personal challenge to me.

* When I use these flavoring, I will *always* be up-front about the ingredients, as FA is. I'll always use what I find the best-tasting brand of any given flavoring. Over the years, I've found that's usually FA. Whatever the brand, I'll always seek out sources to point people to.

* Bottom line, I'm for full disclosure, consumer choice, and the best flavor possible, because I believe that best serves tobacco users wishing to quit.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I want to use FA Custard Premium in place of CAP Vanilla Custard, should I use the same percentage or less?

Certainly never more. I consider 3% FA Premium Custard to be "full strength," and that's way less than the % of Capella vanilla custard in many recipes out there. I don't think of FA Premium Custard as a direct sub for Capella's...but then, I never did like that Capella flavor.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
We're still waitin for you guys' FA Premium Custard reviews. :gaah:

You've had it long enough to mix & steep... slackers! :)

First off, it's not a replacement or reasonable sub for FA Custard. It tastes like a basic baked custard made with heavy cream, sugar, eggs, (+ light vanilla) - with warm, buttery notes. It has no citrus flavor. The vanilla is light enough to cover with or serve to enhance other main flavors. It's at least as versatile as Capella's version, but imo tastes a whole lot more like an actual custard - and is less prone to smothering more delicate flavors in a recipe. Personally, I wouldn't vape Premium Custard as a standalone flavor because it's so danged good in recipes. :) Just like I love Vienna Cream plain but it's even better mixed with other flavors. Speaking of which - if you asked which FA flavoring Premium Custard has the most in common with, I'd say Vienna Cream. Imagine it sweeter, buttery, with a little more vanilla - and that's near the flavor of Premium Custard, in my opinion. Get some, it's good.
:D

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First off, it's not a replacement or reasonable sub for FA Custard. It tastes like a basic baked custard made with heavy cream, sugar, eggs, (+ light vanilla) - with warm, buttery notes. It has no citrus flavor. The vanilla is light enough to cover with or serve to enhance other main flavors. It's at least as versatile as Capella's version, but imo tastes a whole lot more like an actual custard - and is less prone to smothering more delicate flavors in a recipe. Personally, I wouldn't vape Premium Custard as a standalone flavor because it's so danged good in recipes. :) Just like I love Vienna Cream plain but it's even better mixed with other flavors. Speaking of which - if you asked which FA flavoring Premium Custard has the most in common with, I'd say Vienna Cream. Imagine it sweeter, buttery, with a little more vanilla - and that's near the flavor of Premium Custard, in my opinion. Get some, it's good.
:D
I'm gonna mix your Creme Brulee tomorrow ( along with the other one ! ).

How do you feel Premium Custard would mix with fruits ? For example i was considering mixing a variation of your Creme Brulee, replacing the Vanilla in the recipe with Juicy Strawberry ( or other fruits ) at the same percentage.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did a simple mix with the custard premium and juicy strawberry. I thought it odd that the strawberry at 4% in other recipes that blended so well became a sharp strawberry when mixed with the custard. I'll make it again, but will probably take the berry down by half.

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did a simple mix with the custard premium and juicy strawberry. I thought it odd that the strawberry at 4% in other recipes that blended so well became a sharp strawberry when mixed with the custard. I'll make it again, but will probably take the berry down by half.
Let us know how it played out at 2% :)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
i was considering mixing a variation of your Creme Brulee, replacing the Vanilla in the recipe with Juicy Strawberry ( or other fruits ) at the same percentage.

I'd be more inclined to omit the last 3 ingredients and reduce vanilla, rather than replacing vanilla.

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd be more inclined to omit the last 3 ingredients and reduce vanilla, rather than replacing vanilla.
Yeah, come to think of it that makes sense. I'll halve the vanillas and eliminate the last three, and perhaps add Jucy Strawberry at 2%. I'll try a variation with Juicy Strawberry and coconut too. Love strawberry/coconut combo !

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Sorry for hi jacking this topic but maybe HIC can chime in or others lol. I'm planning on placing a huge order over at nicotine river for diy flavors. I got some prior last year but mostly got cap and tfa/tpa, due to "older" reviews. I wasn't very happy with most of them, since a lot of them are either artificial, candy like or just sharp/unpleasant in general, even at lower/high percentage etc.

Anyways I'm reading your fa notes and first I like to say, thank you so much for all that work, helped me immensely. I'm not sure if you've been overseas or are familiar with German quark. It does exist all over Europe but varies to the German recipe. After reading your note on fa yoghurt, I was wondering if that would be similar/close or even authentic to quark. I understand its sour tart in your notes, but I'm not looking for a sour cream or goat cheese kind of fermented yoghurt flavor, or worse actual bad milk lol. More of a light Greek yoghurt/mascapone with tart/sour nuances, or a thicker European yoghurt not american version tho. Its hard to explain since not much here in the US comes close to that lol. Anyways, hopeing somebody could give me a little more info on that. Thanks.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I'm not sure if you've been overseas or are familiar with German quark. It does exist all over Europe but varies to the German recipe. After reading your note on fa yoghurt, I was wondering if that would be similar/close or even authentic to quark. I understand its sour tart in your notes, but I'm not looking for a sour cream or goat cheese kind of fermented yoghurt flavor, or worse actual bad milk lol. More of a light Greek yoghurt/mascapone with tart/sour nuances, or a thicker European yoghurt not american version tho. Its hard to explain since not much here in the US comes close to that lol. Anyways, hopeing somebody could give me a little more info on that. Thanks.

I lived in Germany a while, long ago. :) Yes, I know quark well. NO, FA Yogurt is not anything like it. It's far too sharp a flavor, for one, and those disagreeable notes in it are really hard to cover up. In my opinion, just scratch that flavoring off your list.

You would surely recognize the flavor of quark in my Sublime Key Lime recipe more than any other. It's from an unexpected interaction of FA flavorings, though, not a single flavoring. If you like desserts made with quark, also watch for a future recipe from me that requires FA Premium Custard and a TFA flavoring or two (not being intentionally cryptic; it's in early stages, but definite quark-like qualities).

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I lived in Germany a while, long ago. :) Yes, I know quark well. NO, FA Yogurt is not anything like it. It's far too sharp a flavor, for one, and those disagreeable notes in it are really hard to cover up. In my opinion, just scratch that flavoring off your list.

You would surely recognize the flavor of quark in my Sublime Key Lime recipe more than any other. It's from an unexpected interaction of FA flavorings, though, not a single flavoring. If you like desserts made with quark, also watch for a future recipe from me that requires FA Premium Custard and a TFA flavoring or two (not being intentionally cryptic; it's in early stages, but definite quark-like qualities).

Excellent that's all I needed to know, thanks. Guess I will just get the most common FA flavors then, or at least for now lol.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had the privilege of trying this a couple days ago, and in doing so have created an(other) addiction! This is one of the most "true to flavor" recipes I've ever had. I have loved the little Jiffy sweet cornbread muffins (in the little blue and white box) since I was a kid, and there's no better way to eat them than slathered in butter - oh, the calories!! :eek: ..But this juice is identical in flavor! The taste, the aroma....I'm in awe of just how accurate this recipe is and if you don't try it, you're really missing out on something special! :inlove:
THANK YOU, HIC, you have indeed outdone yourself on this one!

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had the privilege of trying this a couple days ago, and in doing so have created an(other) addiction! This is one of the most "true to flavor" recipes I've ever had. I have loved the little Jiffy sweet cornbread muffins (in the little blue and white box) since I was a kid, and there's no better way to eat them than slathered in butter - oh, the calories!! :eek: ..But this juice is identical in flavor! The taste, the aroma....I'm in awe of just how accurate this recipe is and if you don't try it, you're really missing out on something special! :inlove:

You Enabler!!!

Didn't that stuff cost about $1 for 3 boxes? I remember eating a lot of that when I was a young man. That and Mac & Cheese, 3 for a buck.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You Enabler!!!

Didn't that stuff cost about $1 for 3 boxes? I remember eating a lot of that when I was a young man. That and Mac & Cheese, 3 for a buck.
That's the one! You could buy enough of that cornbread mix to last two weeks for the cost of a bottle of flavoring...LOL!!

ilikeitfruity

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Talking about enablers I have custard premium on the way,

Ginger vanilla creme brulee rocks as an introduction to nf ginger,just bought gingersnap milkshake to try malt as well,will mix tomorrow and then classic creme brulee for a few days time
Now can everyone just agree to not mention any flavours I don't have that would be great:gaah:

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I concur !

I was just gonna pm HIC. HIC's PM called the recipe " Sweet Corn Muffin " and i was gonna tell him that " Cornbread " or " Cornbread Muffin " would be more accurate, and i see now that he actually named it the more accurate imo " Cornbread " which is the vape i was seeking. To me the " Sweet Corn Muffins " that are offered in NY delis are a little sweeter than " Cornbread " or " Cornbread Muffin " or more specifically, sugarier ; you can tell most of the sweetness comes from white sugar. Perhaps, that could be a variation, i dunno maybe with a little Zeppola added and some other ingredients reduced !? Anyhow, that's not what i was seeking, and this vape is exquisite !

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I was already excited to try this out. You just raised the bar over 9000!!!!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

I've been born and raised in Germany, living in Germany for 35 years. Quark is basically Cottage Cheese. I can imagine, that you could utilize some Dairy Milk, in order to tone down the Yogurt, in order to get a Quark flavor.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you like coffee vapes, have these flavorings, and want something different & tasty right NOW:
2% FA Breakfast Cereal
1% FA Tiramisu

Super-simple to mix, ready to vape right away, and wow is this good...
:cloud::cloud::cloud:
Missing the Breakfast Cereal, but it sure sounds delis...!

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you like coffee vapes, have these flavorings, and want something different & tasty right NOW:
2% FA Breakfast Cereal
1% FA Tiramisu

Super-simple to mix, ready to vape right away, and wow is this good...
:cloud::cloud::cloud:
Nice, something to try until corn arrives. Although my Tiramisu is quite old, hope it hasn't gone stale.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Nice, something to try until corn arrives. Although my Tiramisu is quite old, hope it hasn't gone stale.

Tiramisu is one I've actually checked to see if it "goes bad" over time. Give it a good shake and it'll be fine. (I kept my first little 3ml bottle of it from PureVapes nearly 3 years in a plastic bottle at room temp - no problem at all, tastes as good as a fresh bottle.)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Tiramisu is one I've actually checked to see if it "goes bad" over time. Give it a good shake and it'll be fine. (I kept my first little 3ml bottle of it from PureVapes nearly 3 years in a plastic bottle at room temp - no problem at all, tastes as good as a fresh bottle.)

For anyone curious, I did the same with all my original FA flavorings in little plastic bottles. Others that 100% withstood the time/plastic torture test included Irish Cream, Jamaican Rum, Espresso, Hazelnut, Coconut... most of them, really. Fruit flavors did not fare as well - some faded and others took on the flavor of the plastic bottle. Those little bottles don't even have a plastic recycling symbol stamped on the bottom, so part of the trouble may have been the type of plastic.

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks I tried one drop on the tongue and it seems alright.
I wish I'd spend the time and effort of transferring my flavours to glass vials. I keep them stored in airtight boxes in a cupboard but some have definitely gone bad, most of them non-FA though.

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How do you know which flavours you can shake and vape? I thought it was just fruits and some creams.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
How do you know which flavours you can shake and vape? I thought it was just fruits and some creams.

Well, you can shake and vape anything. But you'll find some flavors will change as time goes by. Some that change can taste drastically different after they've aged (many tobaccos are like that); others just get smoother (most creams are like that). Some that change do so fairly quickly; others take longer. The percentage used, your nic, and other flavors you're combining it with can also make a difference.

So there are lots of factors. When I mix something new, I try it right away...then again the next day...couple days later...week or two later, etc. I keep notes about it, which is where my recommendations for my own recipes come from.

As far as single flavors, I find fruits are least likely to change flavor, but most likely to fade; I think that's why we often hear that fruit flavors are "shake and vape". I know several super-concentrated fruit flavors that buck the trend, so even that rule of thumb fails sometimes.

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, you can shake and vape anything. But you'll find some flavors will change as time goes by. Some that change can taste drastically different after they've aged (many tobaccos are like that); others just get smoother (most creams are like that). Some that change do so fairly quickly; others take longer. The percentage used, your nic, and other flavors you're combining it with can also make a difference.

So there are lots of factors. When I mix something new, I try it right away...then again the next day...couple days later...week or two later, etc. I keep notes about it, which is where my recommendations for my own recipes come from.

As far as single flavors, I find fruits are least likely to change flavor, but most likely to fade; I think that's why we often hear that fruit flavors are "shake and vape". I know several super-concentrated fruit flavors that buck the trend, so even that rule of thumb fails sometimes.
Aah i see. Thank you for this HIC an explanation goes a long way.

VU Sponsors