Become a Patron!

Hohm Wrecker G2 and Slice first time users guide

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Hohm Wrecker G2 thread has a lot of valuable information but can be hard to track down. I decided to compile most of the commonly asked questions here for new users. I will update this first post as more new info comes in to make it easy to find.

Here is the OG Wrecker G2 thread: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hohm-wrecker-g2.191406/

Update page for the Wrecker G2: http://hohmtech.com/product/hohm-wrecker-g2/
There is a video there as well that walks you through how to update your G2, highly recommend you watch it.

Update page for the Slice (both LE and SE): http://hohmtech.com/product/hohm-slice/
No video on that page but the update works the same as the G2 so you can watch that video.

Edit 6-29-18: Looks like the update pages are gone but @bigbubba7373 made a zip file with all the updates here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ctc24c1tgbzsak8/hohm_wrecker_g2_and_hohm_slice_firmware.zip/file

The above updaters work fine on Windows 10 and other versions of windows as well but if you are having trouble then @raymo2u has made a different version of the updater that should work: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dipubcllswo5zyn/Hohm-Wrecker-G2-Updater_Raymo_Edition_V2.rar

Copies of the owners manuals can also be found at the same links posted above but I will repeat them here:

Wrecker G2 owners manual: http://hohmtech.com/product/hohm-wrecker-g2/

Slice owners manual: http://hohmtech.com/product/hohm-slice/

Hohmtech does have there own youtube page that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjIXK7Es-p-udLu2qKiOe-A/videos There are a good source to get the general operation of the unit.

Please read the owner's manual and watch some video's, the G2 and Slice work differently than other mods but once you have it down it is easy.

Here is a quick rundown of the basic operation of the G2 and Slice:

When you first install batteries you will get the boot up screen then the screen will go black. To turn on the unit press and hold the Mode button until it turns on. It is the same to turn off the mod but you will have to press the mode button until you get a confirmation screen asking you to press the mode button 2 times to shut the mod down.

When switching tanks remove the old tank, hit the fire button to clear the resistance then install the new tank and hit the fire button. This resets the resistance to the new tank, if you get a damaged atomizer or other fault on the screen then unscrew your tank and hit the fire button until it reads "CONNECT ATOMIZER" then screw the tank back on and hit the fire button to read the new resistance.

Some tanks from Horizontech and a few others don't play nice on the G2 or Slice from time to time. If this happens it can be solved by adding a mod protector (small plastic disc that sits between the tank and mod to protect from scratches) or by simply adding a drip tip oring to the tanks 510 connection.

To switch between modes click the MODE button 3 times quickly, to get to the next screen click the mode button quickly again....etc. This is were you will find the TC modes and also get back to Watts mode.

To switch between adjusting Temp and Watts when in a TC mode click the fire button 3 times quickly.

To lock or unlock the mod press and hold the + & - buttons at the same time.

There is a resistance lock but it is recommended to not do that with these mods.

Adjusting FSK % when in xXx, Kanthal, Tungsten (W) or Nichrome (NiCr) modes.

FSK is the real key to the Hohm mods and works only in xXx (all metals mode) Kanthal, Tungsten and Nichrome TC settings. SS, Ti and Ni do not have a FSK adjustment as there values are already accounted for.

To adjust your FSK % when in the above noted modes you simply press and hold both the + & - buttons and the Mode button at the same time for 3 seconds. That takes you into the "Advanced Insanity Menu" and the first option will be "FSK Temp Curve" press the fire button to enter into it and you can adjust FSK to suit your desired vape. If the vape is too hot then turn FSK % down, too cold then turn it up. It takes a little getting use to but once you have it down it is easy.

xXx Mode

The last update really improved the SS and Kanthal presets although you still have to adjust FSK % for Kanthal. I do not use Ti or Ni so can't comment on how those modes work but I would recommend using those modes instead of xXx if that is what you are using.
Before the latest update many of use just used xXx mode exclusively for everything and I still do a lot of the time. xXx mode just lets you fine tune your vape the way you want it, it is as easy as turning your FSK % up for a warmer vape and down for a cooler one. You can then do a little fine tuning if you like with Temp and Watts but I generally keep my temp around 450F and my watts high for a boost.

In my experience I usually set my Kanthal builds between 3% and 8% FSK when in xXx mode. A lot of this depends on the gauge of the wire and if it is a specialty coil like a Clapton, Alien...etc.
For Stainless Steel I usually have my FSK set between 6.5% to 16%, just depends on the build and my mood.
This all varies of course on user preference but that is the beauty of the FSK chip, it lets the user define there own experience.

Here is a general guideline for recommended FSK % based on wire types:

29t6I8u.jpg

Of coarse the G2 and Slice work great in just power mode, one of the best out there. I personally use power mode most of the time with my other mods but have my Hohm Mods in TC mode 100% of the time, I love it.

I am sure I have missed some things and will edit this post to add more info when time permits. Feel free to add useful tips and tag me so I know to add to the OP.

Edit for a fix added by thanks @Deucesjack:

SLICE FACTORY RESET

Get the correct firmware ready.
Take the battery out.
Put the battery back in.
Plug the computer side of the cord in
Plug the mod side in while holding down the +/- buttons.
This should factory reset the board.
Do the right update.
Vape.

Video tutorial by @SirRichardRear , thanks bud.

Social Media:
https://www.instagram.com/hohmtech/
https://www.facebook.com/hohmtech/
https://www.youtube.com/c/HohmTechCorp

Hohm LIFE cells: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/hohmlife/
Hohm Tech IG: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/hohmtech/

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks bud. Really your the inspiration for it, you helped me and a lot of others get the hang of the G2, I might have never used the xxx mode if you didn't school me.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Sometimes I wonder if I didnt push so many people to even consider getting a Hohm Wrecker if it would have even become what it is on this forum...not many people wanted to get one due to how it looks and not many people have ever even heard of it, theres a few who were interested but their are more fingers on my hands then how many who really wanted one from the start!

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sometimes I wonder if I didnt push so many people to even consider getting a Hohm Wrecker if it would have even become what it is on this forum...not many people wanted to get one due to how it looks and not many people have ever even heard of it, theres a few who were interested but their are more fingers on my hands then how many who really wanted one from the start!
Good point.
I wanted one so much I got all 5 colors.
haha

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After thinking about it, some of your original posts on it are what made me look at it and order then way back then.
So, THANKS!

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

You're the sole reason I ever got one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yeah, if it wasn't for the buzz you started I would not have one because of the looks.

The real trick was how you simplified how to use it. All the other options are whatever, the real key was the xXx mode and how you explained the vital importance of the FSK curve. You really made it so much easier, that's the biggest contribution anyone has made to this fine chip.

I have to give Hohmtech a lot or praise for continuing to refine the firmware, the latest being the best yet. They have refined the standard TC modes so much that it takes a lot of the trial and error away.

Thank you @Whiskey for making this thread a sticky, it will help out a lot

LizClark0910

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Hohm Wrecker G2 thread has a lot of valuable information but can be hard to track down. I decided to compile most of the commonly asked questions here for new users. I will update this first post as more new info comes in to make it easy to find.

Here is the OG Wrecker G2 thread: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hohm-wrecker-g2.191406/

Update page for the Wrecker G2: http://hohmtech.com/product/hohm-wrecker-g2/
There is a video there as well that walks you through how to update your G2, highly recommend you watch it.

Update page for the Slice (both LE and SE): http://hohmtech.com/product/hohm-slice/
No video on that page but the update works the same as the G2 so you can watch that video.

The above updaters work fine on Windows 10 and other versions of windows as well but if you are having trouble then @raymo2u has made a different version of the updater that should work: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dipubcllswo5zyn/Hohm-Wrecker-G2-Updater_Raymo_Edition_V2.rar

Copies of the owners manuals can also be found at the same links posted above but I will repeat them here:

Wrecker G2 owners manual: http://hohmtech.com/product/hohm-wrecker-g2/

Slice owners manual: http://hohmtech.com/product/hohm-slice/

Hohmtech does have there own youtube page that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjIXK7Es-p-udLu2qKiOe-A/videos There are a good source to get the general operation of the unit.

Please read the owner's manual and watch some video's, the G2 and Slice work differently than other mods but once you have it down it is easy.

Here is a quick rundown of the basic operation of the G2 and Slice:

When you first install batteries you will get the boot up screen then the screen will go black. To turn on the unit press and hold the Mode button until it turns on. It is the same to turn off the mod but you will have to press the mode button until you get a confirmation screen asking you to press the mode button 2 times to shut the mod down.

When switching tanks remove the old tank, hit the fire button to clear the resistance then install the new tank and hit the fire button. This resets the resistance to the new tank, if you get a damaged atomizer or other fault on the screen then unscrew your tank and hit the fire button until it reads "CONNECT ATOMIZER" then screw the tank back on and hit the fire button to read the new resistance.

Some tanks from Horizontech and a few others don't play nice on the G2 or Slice from time to time. If this happens it can be solved by adding a mod protector (small plastic disc that sits between the tank and mod to protect from scratches) or by simply adding a drip tip oring to the tanks 510 connection.

To switch between modes click the MODE button 3 times quickly, to get to the next screen click the mode button quickly again....etc. This is were you will find the TC modes and also get back to Watts mode.

To switch between adjusting Temp and Watts when in a TC mode click the fire button 3 times quickly.

To lock or unlock the mod press and hold the + & - buttons at the same time.

There is a resistance lock but it is recommended to not do that with these mods.

Adjusting FSK % when in xXx, Kanthal, Tungsten (W) or Nichrome (NiCr) modes.

FSK is the real key to the Hohm mods and works only in xXx (all metals mode) Kanthal, Tungsten and Nichrome TC settings. SS, Ti and Ni do not have a FSK adjustment as there values are already accounted for.

To adjust your FSK % when in the above noted modes you simply press and hold both the + & - buttons and the Mode button at the same time for 3 seconds. That takes you into the "Advanced Insanity Menu" and the first option will be "FSK Temp Curve" press the fire button to enter into it and you can adjust FSK to suit your desired vape. If the vape is too hot then turn FSK % down, too cold then turn it up. It takes a little getting use to but once you have it down it is easy.

xXx Mode

The last update really improved the SS and Kanthal presets although you still have to adjust FSK % for Kanthal. I do not use Ti or Ni so can't comment on how those modes work but I would recommend using those modes instead of xXx if that is what you are using.
Before the latest update many of use just used xXx mode exclusively for everything and I still do a lot of the time. xXx mode just lets you fine tune you vape the way you want it, it is as easy as turning your FSK % up for a warmer vape and down for a cooler one. You can then do a little fine tuning if you like with Temp and Watts but I generally keep my temp around 450F and my watts high for a boost.

In my experience I usually set my Kanthal builds between 3% and 8% FSK when in xXx mode. A lot of this depends on the gauge of the wire and if it is a specialty coil like a Clapton, Alien...etc.
For Stainless Steel I usually have my FSK set between 6.5% to 16%, just depends on the build and my mood.
This all varies of course on user preference but that is the beauty of the FSK chip, it lets the user define there own experience.

Here is a general guideline for recommended FSK % based on wire types:

XXX%20Mode_1.jpg

Of coarse the G2 and Slice work great in just power mode, one of the best out there. I personally use power mode most of the time with my other mods but have my Hohm Mods in TC mode 100% of the time, I love it.

I am sure I have missed some things and will edit this post to add more info when time permits. Feel free to add useful tips and tag me so I know to add to the OP.
You are an angel straight from heaven
I've had my g2 for like 2 months now & I love it but I KNOW it can do more than just power up, set wattage and fire.
I just haven't found the patience to figure it out.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to give a lot of props to all the others who were patient with me and are always there to help on the G2 thread. There are a lot to name but @Deucesjack is one who always pops in to help others, I know he helped me out a lot. I don't want to name more but you know who you are, I would hate to leave someone out.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
hahaha, it bothers me when they are missing from MY collection.
Good try though.
I like your way of thinking.
Dammit, well it was worth a try ;)

The woman has OCD...except it only seems to bother her when the house isnt spotless...kinda wish she would worry about the more important stuff like drip tips to match my mods and such

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@mjag
Hey bro can you add this to the op. I had quite a few newbies brick their Slice because they updated it on accident with the G2 software. Here's the fix:

SLICE FACTORY RESET

Take the battery out.
Put the battery back in.
Do the right update.
Vape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@mjag
Hey bro can you add this to the op. I had quite a few newbies brick their Slice because they updated it on accident with the G2 software. Here's the fix:

SLICE FACTORY RESET

Take the battery out.
Put the battery back in.
Do the right update.
Vape.
Tested and verified.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@mjag

SLICE FACTORY RESET

Take the battery out.
Put the battery back in.
Do the right update.
Vape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Thanks bro. Added

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nailz, you're someone I would have thought already owned a G2. You're gonna love it. I just got shipping confirmation for my 3rd one.

Edit - too tired. You said slice

I've been tempted for a while, but the price hasn't been right till now, I really don't need anymore mods at all, but keep seeing the FSK chip coming up so much on the forums, gotta give it a go for $30 :)

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been tempted for a while, but the price hasn't been right till now, I really don't need anymore mods at all, but keep seeing the FSK chip coming up so much on the forums, gotta give it a go for $30 :)

I don't need more for sure. Time to start selling a bunch.

kdash9

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got a Hohm wrecker, for some reason it randomly stopped firing while in kanthol temp mode, and it seems like its only reading the watts when in xxx. I didnt change anything did I mess something up?

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got a Hohm wrecker, for some reason it randomly stopped firing while in kanthol temp mode, and it seems like its only reading the watts when in xxx. I didnt change anything did I mess something up?

You might want to try letting your tank cool down for 5 minutes, unscrew it to the point were when you hit the fire button it says "Check Atomizer" then screw it back down and hit the fire button. It is more than likely that your FSK is set too low though, try turning it up by 10%, if your at 50% FSK then turn it up to 55%.....etc. I am not too familiar with the Kanthal preset, I am old school and still rely on the XXX mode for Kanthal, just use to it.

kdash9

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was vaping fine on 6% now it just wont fire, tried that its been like an hour

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey mjag, gonna read over here and see if I missed anything that's not over there.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think most of the main points from the original G2 thread are covered here but if you can think of anything to add then let me know.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Gregory.tomczak

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So when you in xxx mode for kanthal do you set the watts to max 171? Because I'm having issues with my tfv4 tank tasting burnt. I'm still trying to get the whole tc thing down. I've watched a bunch of videos and read a few forum posts but still having issues. I'm having to set the FSk to like 7% just to get it to fire but then it's too hot for the temp I have it set to. I like around 390-400 temp. Please if anyone can help me with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With my slice with 1.5 ohm clapton coil, I have temp at 450F, 25 watts with FSK set at 5%, really good vape for me, I did have the watts at 80 by accident when 1st used, and also got a dry hit, but working well at 25 watts.

Gregory.tomczak

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With my slice with 1.5 ohm clapton coil, I have temp at 450F, 25 watts with FSK set at 5%, really good vape for me, I did have the watts at 80 by accident when 1st used, and also got a dry hit, but working well at 25 watts.

Thanks I'll try that

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So when you in xxx mode for kanthal do you set the watts to max 171? Because I'm having issues with my tfv4 tank tasting burnt. I'm still trying to get the whole tc thing down. I've watched a bunch of videos and read a few forum posts but still having issues. I'm having to set the FSk to like 7% just to get it to fire but then it's too hot for the temp I have it set to. I like around 390-400 temp. Please if anyone can help me with this

You don't have to set the watts to 171, some people just like that as a added preheat but that's probably best to do once you are more familiar with the mod.

Try setting you temp higher around 450 and lowering your FSK to about 5%. They key really is the FSK % but 450f is a good starting point. It is a little confusing at first because it doesn't work like other mods and settings vary depending on the coil configuration even if all you use is Kanthal.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Gregory.tomczak

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks @Nailz and @mjag. That trick helps. I'm really seeing its trial and error. I'm so used to my DNA where you can max it out and it works at the temp, but I'm liking the even more user customizations of this hohm wrecker. I like it so much more now. I was at a point of benching it for the issue I was having. I got the whole maxing out wattage from Ben at hohm tech. When I called the other day he was helpful but told me he maxes it out then adjusts the fsk.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks @Nailz and @mjag. That trick helps. I'm really seeing its trial and error. I'm so used to my DNA where you can max it out and it works at the temp, but I'm liking the even more user customizations of this hohm wrecker. I like it so much more now. I was at a point of benching it for the issue I was having. I got the whole maxing out wattage from Ben at hohm tech. When I called the other day he was helpful but told me he maxes it out then adjusts the fsk.

Check the video I made in the op. I'd also suggest just using kenthal mode but it's up to you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

When I first started out with the G2 I made the mistake of having my watts set to max. I changed from a tank with SS coils with my FSK set to about 15%, then put on a tank with Kanthal and didn't change my FSK. I just about coughed up a lung so from there I just learned to take it easy until I got more familiar with the mod.

I just picked up a Think Vape Finder 167 with the DNA250 chip, I am an equal opportunity vaper It definitely is different although I do like my DNA mods it just takes a little more effort since you have to plug into a PC. Personally I only pick up DNA mods that are already configured. I know how to use escribe but it doesn't exactly get me excited to sit in front of the PC when it's not porn related...lol.

304ed450d14af762b253888955a2757b.jpg

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
When I first started out with the G2 I made the mistake of having my watts set to max. I changed from a tank with SS coils with my FSK set to about 15%, then put on a tank with Kanthal and didn't change my FSK. I just about coughed up a lung so from there I just learned to take it easy until I got more familiar with the mod.

I just picked up a Think Vape Finder 167 with the DNA250 chip, I am an equal opportunity vaper It definitely is different although I do like my DNA mods it just takes a little more effort since you have to plug into a PC. Personally I only pick up DNA mods that are already configured. I know how to use escribe but it doesn't exactly get me excited to sit in front of the PC when it's not porn related...lol.

304ed450d14af762b253888955a2757b.jpg

Mod Bros.
cae8c2754e06db4bb58a9960555d86b6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors