Become a Patron!

How Low Do You Build On A Tube Mech?

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recently tried my hand at parallel builds and I threw a dual coil, 5 wrap 24 gauge kanthal build on my Tsunami and it's reading at 0.12-0.13 on my Ohm reader.
I'm using LG HB2's which are 30 amp continuous.
I am aware that this is above the continuous rating. But my hits are definitely below 2 seconds, which should be considered pulse, no?
I'm mostly curious how low you guys have gone and your thoughts on being down this low.
The next time I do this I'll be doing six wraps but for tonight this is what I'm using. My battery is not getting hot btw.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Never build below max rated continuous draw, period.

Using a battery at max capacity shortens life by working it too hard.

As your batteries age, they also get weaker with age.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I'm rebuilding it tomorrow. An extra wrap should get me in the .15 range which is below the limit.
I know there's people though who go below 0.1 for comps or what have you.
I'm sure the added resistance with an extra wrap will be made up for by the increased vapor production of more area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

budd77

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you like the vape? That would be the only reason why I'd change the build. A hb2 can handle way lower of a build than 0.12.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I enjoy the vape off it. I'm running it on a Tsunami RDA and it just feels great. I love dense cloud production and shorter pulls.
At this point I figured it was more of a degrading my batteries capacity. My understanding was always that hot batteries were the indicator of overworking and it stays cool in this set up.

budd77

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes a hot battery is an indication of it being over worked. Have you read any of Mooches battery reviews? If you haven't google Mooch battery tests. Some awesome much needed info. A .12 build at 3.7 volts is about 31 amps. You won't get more than 3.7 volts and with 2 second pulls you'll never over heat that battery.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've read them all. That's why I own 8 HB2's haha
Do you calculate draw at 3.7? I've always calculated at 4.2.
I threw a volt meter on my mod recently and it read 4.14 volts on a fresh battery.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While I have built and vaped my mechs at less than .1ohm. I don't normally go below .5ohm on my the mechs. Mainly because I like vaping at 30 watts or less...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I threw a volt meter on my mod recently and it read 4.14 volts on a fresh battery.

You calculate with 4.2V as a worst case scenario for max amperage.
You calculate with 3.7V to get an estimate of what the average wattage is going to be.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

4.2 would be the way to go which means you are pushing past the safe limit of your battery technically .14 should be the absolute lowest. If you wanted to go lower you would need a parallel mod which would allow you to build to a .09 with those batteries

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Calculating at nominal voltage was always something I was confused about. I generally change batteries when they hit 3.7 though

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
About the only way to get 24g kanthal to provide enough heat with a tube and that size rda chamber is to do what you are. Dual parallel coils. Problem is the super low resistance. To allow a higher resistance to provide the performance you're now getting, I suggest using 22g kanthal and simple dual coils (not dual parallel). I use simple dual 24g kanthal coils in my rda and get a nice warm vape, but it's in a derringer so the chamber is much smaller and I probably am using slightly less airflow. You just need heavier wire with a lower resistance per inch. Try 22g kanthal.

Dbro84

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
.2 ohms Rig v2 5 wrap 24 gauge kanthal lg hg2 battery

Last edited:

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
About the only way to get 24g kanthal to provide enough heat with a tube and that size rda chamber is to do what you are. Dual parallel coils. Problem is the super low resistance. To allow a higher resistance to provide the performance you're now getting, I suggest using 22g kanthal and simple dual coils (not dual parallel). I use simple dual 24g kanthal coils in my rda and get a nice warm vape, but it's in a derringer so the chamber is much smaller and I probably am using slightly less airflow. You just need heavier wire with a lower resistance per inch. Try 22g kanthal.

I had been doing 5/6 wraps 22 gauge prior to installing these. I much prefer the 24 parallel build.

robo74

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
so is the HB2 the popular battery for mech mods right now?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
so is the HB2 the popular battery for mech mods right now?
Hb6. The new pink ones are good for 32 amps. The old ivory ones at 30. I don't think they make the hb2 or hb4 anymore but I could be wrong on that

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I still get them from IMR Batteries. The entire line of HB's are $5/each from them.
The 1500 mah is kinda low but for 30 amps I'm fine with the trade off.

Mine are sorta off green

Dbro84

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hb6. The new pink ones are good for 32 amps. The old ivory ones at 30. I don't think they make the hb2 or hb4 anymore but I could be wrong on that

About the brown lg hg2

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
About the brown lg hg2

That's a 20 amp battery. If you're building to 0.2 on a mech you should run a 25 amp battery at least. I know I'm one to talk building above my amp limit but Sony VCT5A's are 25 amps and 2600 mah so you'll still have good battery life.

Dbro84

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great batteries. But only 20 amps which can be fine depending on your build

Cool thanks
.2 ohms Rig v2 5 wrap 24 gauge kanthal lg hg2 battery

Last edited:

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My question was never if it was okay. I know it's slightly sketchy to go that low.
My question was how low others go, which is the thread title.
However, when the first reply was someone telling me not to build that low I replied with the information I have.
I'm simply curious as to how low others go. :)

budd77

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I build down to .11 with 25r's and .08 with vtc5a's, 4's and hb2. My favorite build(adv) ohms out between 0.09 and 0.1. I use vct4 and vtc5a's with this build with no problem.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used to build quite low. No more. I might go down just below .2 ohm (.17-.18) when I estimate the coil incorrectly but I aim for a .25 now on my tubes. My Kennedy copper never heats up at all. Not even the cap. I know I could build lower - used to build between .1-.15 - but I see no need to push my batteries. I have a few friends building at .09 - .1 or even slightly lower on their tubes. You cannot chain those builds safely. But to each his own.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So you're just a dumb ass kid asking a dumb ass question. Vape how you want. This is a stupid thread that serves no purpose.

If you're new to mechs and reading this, don't use builds with the kinds of resistances being discussed here.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My question was never if it was okay. I know it's slightly sketchy to go that low.
My question was how low others go, which is the thread title.
However, when the first reply was someone telling me not to build that low I replied with the information I have.
I'm simply curious as to how low others go. :)

I hope you realize that these kinds of questions pop up often. It's either from someone who know nothing about mechs and has no business using them, or someone that knows better, but wants group confirmation to make them feel "right" about doing something stupid.

In either case, both kinds of people are just another headline waiting to happen. They will be quick to blame anything other than themselves for their stupidity.

Battery/mech safety isn't optional. Don't follow the rules, lose fingers and faces.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So you're just a dumb ass kid asking a dumb ass question. Vape how you want. This is a stupid thread that serves no purpose.

If you're new to mechs and reading this, don't use builds with the kinds of resistances being discussed here.

And you're just a jaded ass old man.
I'm sorry it doesn't serve a purpose in your opinion, I didn't realize you were the authority of worth on this forum.
You don't have to read the thread if you don't think it's worthy.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You calculate with 4.2V as a worst case scenario for max amperage.
You calculate with 3.7V to get an estimate of what the average wattage is going to be.
Since there has been a turn of events, and this thread actually came to light that someone wants to push the limits of batteries in a possible unsafe manner, maybe this thread should be moved to what not to do?

We get too many thread like this of someone being dangerous and pushing the limits of batteries/mechs.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Since there has been a turn of events, and this thread actually came to light that someone wants to push the limits of batteries in a possible unsafe manner, maybe this thread should be moved to what not to do?

We get too many thread like this of someone being dangerous and pushing the limits of batteries/mechs.

There was never a turn of events. The threat title is literally "how low do you guys build on a mech".
I'm not advocating for it, or saying it's safe. I clearly said I put a .12 ohm build in with intentions on changing it soon after and that it made me wonder how low others go.
Then I get crucified for talking about it, like talking about it is going to make others think it's okay. Even though I have stated in multiple posts that it is sketchy and that I know it's unsafe.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For instance. People who compete in cloud competitions build sub 0.1 on tubes, is it unreasonable to assume there may be some on here?
Fuck me for trying to find others doing similar things

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
For instance. People who compete in cloud competitions build sub 0.1 on tubes, is it unreasonable to assume there may be some on here?
Fuck me for trying to find others doing similar things

those people also already know what they are doing and how dangerous it is. it would be like going on a forum and asking how to build a pipe bomb because that is basically what they are doing. I'm also sure they vent their batteries at times, only get a couple of pulls off each charge and go through batteries like crazy. Are you looking to actually compete or are you looking to just cloud up your room? maybe best would be going to one of the competitions if you wanted to learn and ask people competing, but it isn't something safe to just jump into. we have a cloud chasers sub forum, maybe start there? most of the people in the help section vape to stay off tobacco not to chase clouds as this section is mostly used by new vapors needing advice on how to quit or an issue with their mod or tank

the only safe way to achieve a sub .1 ohm build is with a parallel mech mod using LH HB6 batteries and even then you are looking at only .09

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is exactly why it's a stupid thread. If you weren't a dumb ass kid that's new here, you would already know how dumb ass threads like this turn out. Many here build real low and do other stuff like drip and drive. We accept the risk and keep it to ourselves. We don't start threads asking who else also does dumb shit and then get butt hurt when someone tells us we're doing dumb shit and starting dumb threads that are guaranteed to turn out bad. Maybe one day you'll figure it out.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it possible to pulse vape at lower resistance and higher amperage then the continuous amp rating of the battery? Yes.
Is it a good idea for all day vaping in general and especially with inexperienced vapers? Most certainly not.
Our fear is that inexperienced vaper will learn bad habits without understanding the risks, from reading such posts.

Last edited:

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is the mech mod subforum. This is where my post belongs as I am building on a mech. I do it for the heat of the vape, not the the fat clouds.
I am in the market for a parallel mod.
My bad for being new and not knowing as much as those who have been here longer.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is exactly why it's a stupid thread. If you weren't a dumb ass kid that's new here, you would already know how dumb ass threads like this turn out. Many here build real low and do other stuff like drip and drive. We accept the risk and keep it to ourselves. We don't start threads asking who else also does dumb shit and then get butt hurt when someone tells us we're doing dumb shit and starting dumb threads that are guaranteed to turn out bad. Maybe one day you'll figure it out.

So edgy bro

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
This is the mech mod subforum. This is where my post belongs as I am building on a mech. I do it for the heat of the vape, not the the fat clouds.
I am in the market for a parallel mod.
My bad for being new and not knowing as much as those who have been here longer.

no apology needed. we aren't trying to be jerks we are just trying to make sure you are safe. I mean you like your face right? you don't want to blow it off i assume and we don't want to see that either so please don't take it the wrong way.

This sub forum (and yes i understand you are new and it's perfectly fine since there are so many sub forums) is to talk about unregualted mods themselves. I'd suggest using the new builders subforum, the cloud chasing subforum, the how to rebuilding subforum or the the coil subforum

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To me it seemed hostile. I'm aware of the risk. I'm looking for a cheapish but reliable parallel box now because I enjoy the build. I'll be sure to keep it to the builders corner.
Thanks for the concern guys.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
To me it seemed hostile. I'm aware of the risk. I'm looking for a cheapish but reliable parallel box now because I enjoy the build. I'll be sure to keep it to the builders corner.
Thanks for the concern guys.

is there any reason you don't want a regulated mod? i mean if you get a G2 it'll fire down to .007 has 171 watts of power and is much safer. Even with a dual parallel box you are looking at .09 best case scenario. someone here is selling/trading some custom wood ones in the trading section. might want to check them out. they are nice. I traded him for the mybox one already but the 2 wood ones are available. i think he has them listed at 60 bucks IIRC each.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reliability. I have a Red/Black Rx2/3 realueax with a Goon RDA coming to me in the mail so I do use regulated devices.
I've had three out of three regulated devices I owned in the past stop working, be it a pin getting stuck, getting wet and frying a chip or buttons failing.
I work in construction when I'm not in class and mechs are just as reliable as they come. If it's not working it's my own fault. Plus cleaning them thoroughly makes me more connected to the device.
If the hexohm were purely mechanical and not capped at 30 amps I'd own one.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Reliability. I have a Red/Black Rx2/3 realueax with a Goon RDA coming to me in the mail so I do use regulated devices.
I've had three out of three regulated devices I owned in the past stop working, be it a pin getting stuck, getting wet and frying a chip or buttons failing.
I work in construction when I'm not in class and mechs are just as reliable as they come. If it's not working it's my own fault. Plus cleaning them thoroughly makes me more connected to the device.
If the hexohm were purely mechanical and not capped at 30 amps I'd own one.

try a different regulated mod then. the G2 will take a beating and still work. the RX mods are known to have issues due to the poor 510 pin and thin internal wiring. what other regulated mods are you using?

also not saying there is anything wrong with mechs but why the need to build so low? you can use an HB6 battery and build to .2 ohms and get a good vape safely with no issues.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had two Cuboids and a Sigelei 150 pre temperature control.

plastic-ashtray

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I read that about the 2/3 right after I bought it. Worst case scenario I know how to solder

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've had two Cuboids and a Sigelei 150 pre temperature control.

the cubiods are another one prone to failure. the sig 150 I'm surprised at. that thing was a tank. I'd suggest a hohmwrecker G2. the owner ran it over with his car and it still worked lol plus it has the best chip on the market IMO. fires down to .007 ohms and has 171 watts which is more then enough power. It'll also do temp control on any wire including kenthal.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The Sigelei I got wet haha

lol that would do it for sure. i got mine wet as well dried it out and it still worked. hell 3 years later it still works to this day but i gave it to my friend. he still uses it daily.

VU Sponsors