Become a Patron!

IPV D2 vs EVIC VTC mini...

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I preordered a D2 from efun.top, but they're having a hard time getting stock from IPV. Of course, I could just cancel my order and get a refund, but they also offered another option. They said they could substitute the D2 with a Evic VTC Mini.

I guess they have a better idea when they'll get the evic in stock.

Would you accept the evic over the D2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Similar items. Comes down to what you like the looks of more. Personally, I like the d2. I think it's smaller than the mini too.

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Similar items. Comes down to what you like the looks of more. Personally, I like the d2. I think it's smaller than the mini too.

Yep, I definitely prefer the looks and size of the D2. I can't help but think the evic might be a all around better mod. Better software and more durable.

I might just cancel my order and get the D2 elsewhere. IDK....

cage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Mini has my curiosity peaked....but I won't jump until people actually get their hands on it, and more importantly, the price drop...and it will.

Give and take on both, I don't think that the Mini can compete with the D2. But again....I'm waiting to hear more on it from actual users. Besides, I really don't "need" another mod right now :D

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
vapordna has the d2 in stock and coupon code joe 10 takes 10% off your order. so why not just cancel your order there and get it some place that has what you wanted in stock

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ended up canceling my efun.top order and ordered Koopor mini from FT along with some new LG bats and Subtank Ni200 heads. It should ship by the end of the week.

I'm still interested in the D2, but I'll wait for the V2 or pick one up used.

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You didn't order batteries from china did you?

I did! Every 18650 Samsung, LG & Panasonic battery I've owned over the last 3 years have come from FT. They're straight.

You don't think huge Asian corporations like Samsung or LG would let FT move counterfeits? Smaller companies might be powerless, but not huge corporations like that.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who said anything about counterfeits? o_O I was referring to the stupid long shipping times for batteries, but since you brought it up, do you think any company in the world has any control over what happens inside communist china? They ship their knockoffs all over the world and what's anybody gonna do? Sue china? Haha, have fun with that.

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I preordered a D2 from efun.top, but they're having a hard time getting stock from IPV. Of course, I could just cancel my order and get a refund, but they also offered another option. They said they could substitute the D2 with a Evic VTC Mini.

Absolutely not!

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Who said anything about counterfeits? o_O I was referring to the stupid long shipping times for batteries, but since you brought it up, do you think any company in the world has any control over what happens inside communist china? They ship their knockoffs all over the world and what's anybody gonna do? Sue china? Haha, have fun with that.

Last time I ordered batteries from FT was on May 7th and they where delivered May 19th. Not too bad of a wait when I'm not desperate.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's pretty fast. Word on the street is that batteries coming from there have to go by slow boat and take much longer. Guess not.

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's pretty fast. Word on the street is that batteries coming from there have to go by slow boat and take much longer. Guess not.

There's a couple newer options that gets small orders over the ocean faster. One is Sweden post service and the other is USPS service for battery products. I think they both use DHL for the international portion and then handoff to USPS.

Last edited:

HighPlainsVaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The IPV D2 rocks. If you are in the U.S. you can find them at several web vendors for $48 to $55, no tax/ free shipping, and it should arrive within the week. Google search will turn up a bunch. You can save a couple of bucks at FT if you are willing to wait a few weeks to get it. There's no reason to wait.

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Outta the frying pan, into the fire.

Lol, ready to ship already. We'll see how long they take to get here.

On a side note, I haven't got confirmation yet from efun.top that my order been cancelled. I might end up with two new mods.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i would def take the VTC over the D2. the build quality appears to be a bit nicer. the battery door on the VTC has magnets VS the D2s bearing door. the screen on the VTC destroys the D2s tiny screen.

i also like the esthetics of the VTC better and i am a big fan of the D2s shape.

they are almost identical in size with the VTC being .2" taller. the other specs are the same.

either way you are looking at getting a great device. i was originally really looking to get a D2... until the VTC was announced. im sold on the VTC.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media

I would take the eVic over the D2. My experience with IPV products has been bad so far, and my D2 is no exception. The battery door does not fit cleanly, it moves when I am holding it to vape. The materials are thin and cheap, allowing the door to flex just by holding it. I'm not impressed with the finish on it either, too reminiscent of the finish on my IPV mini, which flakes away just by touching it. To be fair, the D2 is not flaking, it just seems like if it does start flaking it won't stop.

I hope you like the Koopor, and if your order didn't actually get cancelled and you get the eVic-VT and want to trade, I'll send you the D2 ... :)

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'd consider a VT mini. Upgradeable means they can fix any problems like the VT has.
That's really the first I looked at it. It might be my next TC mod. I'd rather wait and see but I didn't with the D2 with not upgradeable and P4U's history was a huge risk.

Last edited:

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ended up also ordering a D2. Ecig.com has them for $41.80 shipped with the code "insider".

I really just wanted to wait for my FT order, but my regulated mods are dying quickly and I'm just not into my mechs anymore.

Reactions: Myk

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Squeeze it a lil harder. You'll know you're done when the cover slides downward easily but resists being pulled straight off.
@Shark Vape, I guess it's just me, I did get it adjusted perfectly, but after about a day and a half of usage, it loosened up again. I don't like the fact that I am going to have to continuously "adjust" the battery door to keep it the way I like it. It may be the way I hold it that causes it to loosen, and it may just be that I need to start using the USB charge option instead of taking the door off and changing batteries. Either way, not really impressed with the feel of this mod, although performance seems to be pretty good so far.

I'm likely going to buy a VTC too, unless I can find someone to trade with and swap the D2 for the eVic-VTC. BTW ... I know the D2 comes with a silicon sleeve, but it looks really sick with a carbon fiber wrap on it!

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i would def take the VTC over the D2. the build quality appears to be a bit nicer. the battery door on the VTC has magnets VS the D2s bearing door. the screen on the VTC destroys the D2s tiny screen.

i also like the esthetics of the VTC better and i am a big fan of the D2s shape.

they are almost identical in size with the VTC being .2" taller. the other specs are the same.

either way you are looking at getting a great device. i was originally really looking to get a D2... until the VTC was announced. im sold on the VTC.

so the D2 does not offer firmware upgradability? yet another reason to get the VTC.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
so the D2 does not offer firmware upgradability? yet another reason to get the VTC.
While I personally agree with this reason, the reality is that the D2 is essentially a "throw away" at the current price point. If you are still using it 8-12 months from now, and it isn't doing what you need to, then either give it away or throw it away and pick up the latest/greatest mod going at the time. TBH, a firmware upgrade isn't going to add any new feature that requires updated hardware anyway. My original eVic was firmware upgradeable, but once the firmware was stabilized, Joyetech stopped trying to add anything or tweak it. Instead, they moved on to their next mod design and left the eVic alone. As much as I want the eVic-VTC, I do NOT hold out any hope that there will ever be firmware upgrades, unless purely for the sake of fixing bugs that greatly affect the usability, functionality and/or performance of the device.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
While I personally agree with this reason, the reality is that the D2 is essentially a "throw away" at the current price point. If you are still using it 8-12 months from now, and it isn't doing what you need to, then either give it away or throw it away and pick up the latest/greatest mod going at the time. TBH, a firmware upgrade isn't going to add any new feature that requires updated hardware anyway. My original eVic was firmware upgradeable, but once the firmware was stabilized, Joyetech stopped trying to add anything or tweak it. Instead, they moved on to their next mod design and left the eVic alone. As much as I want the eVic-VTC, I do NOT hold out any hope that there will ever be firmware upgrades, unless purely for the sake of fixing bugs that greatly affect the usability, functionality and/or performance of the device.

Fixing bugs is the issue.
Like VT can't have it's temperature being off (but consistent) fixed. It can't have its 30w boost/cut on first fire fixed. These are minor issues many won't notice but they are there.
Luckily I don't see anything like that with the D2 (which is why I got a second one). The VTC would be less of a risk to order without hearing honest reviews. You only have to worry about hardware issues for the most part.

Last edited:

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Fixing bugs is the issue.
Like VT can't have it's temperature being off (but consistent) fixed. It can't have it's 30w boost/cut on first fire fixed. These are minor issues many won't notice but they are there.
Luckily I don't see anything like that with the D2 (which is why I got a second one). The VTC would be less of a risk to order without hearing honest reviews. You only have to worry about hardware issues for the most part.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to picking up a VTC myself. The D2 seems to be okay, but it has enough annoyances (for me personally) that I am not currently running out to buy a second one, although I'm also not ruling it out. If you follow the link in my signature, you can read my review on it and what I like/dislike about it. For what it is, it's pretty good, and it is growing on me by the day, only time will tell if it will hold up though, and I have more faith in the eVic-VTC holding up for the long term.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am not currently running out to buy a second one

I just like TC and would like to go all TC. 4-5 mods in use is a good number for me. $50 TC is way better than $80-$100 :) It does what it's supposed to do, it's $50-ish, sold. There are things I'd do different but it's $50 and TC seems accurate so I can live with some dislikes.
I'm amazed competition has Joyetech coming out with something in that range. I guess they can't ride on their name anymore and charge twice as much for a similar product.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I just like TC and would like to go all TC. 4-5 mods in use is a good number for me. $50 TC is way better than $80-$100 :) It does what it's supposed to do, it's $50-ish, sold. There are things I'd do different but it's $50 and TC seems accurate so I can live with some dislikes.
I'm amazed competition has Joyetech coming out with something in that range. I guess they can't ride on their name anymore and charge twice as much for a similar product.
Yeah, but we will see what they do with final pricing after it's on the market and in stock everywhere. I have seen adds that show the retail price at over $100 and the pre-order price around $70. There is a shop near me that has them in stock (3, one in each color) and they are asking $100 for them. I was hoping to talk the owner down a little to around the pre-sale price, or maybe a little more (shops do have overhead costs), but no luck. I'm going to try again this weekend ... :)

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, but we will see what they do with final pricing after it's on the market and in stock everywhere. I have seen adds that show the retail price at over $100 and the pre-order price around $70. There is a shop near me that has them in stock (3, one in each color) and they are asking $100 for them. I was hoping to talk the owner down a little to around the pre-sale price, or maybe a little more (shops do have overhead costs), but no luck. I'm going to try again this weekend ... :)

FT just the VTC (no atty) on presale for $38.50. That's the cheapest I've seen.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
FT just the VTC (no atty) on presale for $38.50. That's the cheapest I've seen.

I just pulled the trigger on the full kit for $44, not marked "PreSale" ... and the company is in Texas, means no long wait from FT!
no shit? the VT is upgradeable? ive had mine for a couple months and never knew this.
No, I don't think the VT is firmware upgradable, but I haven't looked into it either. I am talking about the original eVic tube mod, circa 2011/2012. It was sold as a 15watt VV/VW mod, but after everyone figured out that it would only get to 11w, Joyetech updated the specs on it. It was a fantastic mod back then, but Joyetech lost a lot of customers over the false specs/advertising. More importantly it really hurt their reputation for a long time too. They did release 3 (IIRC) updates to the firmware that fixed some bugs, but once it was stable, they stopped ... they could have added features and functionality, but chose to abandon it for new designs.

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just pulled the trigger on the full kit for $44, not marked "PreSale" ... and the company is in Texas, means no long wait from FT!

Ecig.com? Did you use the "insider" code? That's were I ordered my D2.

EDIT - looks like insider doesn't work for the evic.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have seen adds that show the retail price at over $100 and the pre-order price around $70.

No way. I won't get one if that's the case.
I paid $60-$70 for my original eVics before that place was stopped, they were my most used. I wouldn't have paid $104, and no way would they be worth that. I also started (successfully, I used RN4072's in '09 but went back to smoking) with eGo-C kits and liked them. I am a fan of Joyetech products.
Then I learned how their pricing works and how they gouge (when they threatened to increase their gouging).

The main problem with the original eVic was 2.5A when everyone else was 5A. I see similar with the VTC, everyone else is 70W, Joytech is 60W. They don't get to charge more for less out of my pocket any more. Mini TC is $50-ish, that's what I'm going to pay. If they don't want that money someone else will get it.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media

Okay, so "insider" did not work for me either, but I just played around a little bit, and it does work *if* you start with something else in the cart, apply the coupon, then add the eVic and remove the first item ... wish I had tried that when I placed the order. I'm glad it was only $2.20, if it had been $22, I would be upset! :)

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media

I got the D2 at Wake and Vape, $55 as a package deal. It came with a carbon fiber wrap, cool little "vape sock", and a Samsung 25R, although now you can get it with a choice of the 25R OR the LG 3000mah AND a 2nd charging cord (I only got one). The free shipping is gone though, it probably costs about $6 to ship. Shipping was FAST too, arrived in 2 days.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

No, I don't think the VT is firmware upgradable, but I haven't looked into it either. I am talking about the original eVic tube mod, circa 2011/2012. It was sold as a 15watt VV/VW mod, but after everyone figured out that it would only get to 11w, Joyetech updated the specs on it. It was a fantastic mod back then, but Joyetech lost a lot of customers over the false specs/advertising. More importantly it really hurt their reputation for a long time too. They did release 3 (IIRC) updates to the firmware that fixed some bugs, but once it was stable, they stopped ... they could have added features and functionality, but chose to abandon it for new designs.

oh i see. the orig evic was upgradable.

oh and thanks for the heads up on the ECIG.com place. just placed an order for the black one.

looks like i need to cancel my preorder from cigabuy! im gonna wait until i get tracking from ecig.com before doing so tho.

how did ecig.com get them before everyone else?

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Just lucky I guess. There is a local shop here that has them too, at 2x the price though!

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The D2 is great choice. I have been using it as my work vape with a kanger tank and the .15 nickel coils. I vape it at 50 joules ( really irrelevant) and 500F ( this is the key). I could not be happier. I have a little 2 puff drip tip and the set up is super small.
My only con with the IPVs in general is that their screens do not stay on long enough. Hard to read the battery life!

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just lucky I guess. There is a local shop here that has them too, at 2x the price though!

i also see that sweet vapes has them avail now as well.

i opted for 2nd day shipping and used the code "insider". my total was $47.95. hope to see it by tuesday with the holiday and all.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media

i opted for 2nd day shipping and used the code "insider". my total was $47.95. hope to see it by tuesday with the holiday and all.
Not a bad deal at all! I wish I had more $$$ to spend, I'd also like the SMY 60w TC Mini, it just looks sexy with that awesome color screen! Although to get back on topic, I hope my eVic VTC will be here by tomorrow!

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I wish I upgraded to the 2nd day shipping on my D2. I would have got it tomorrow.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was looking up reviews to decide between the D2 or the VTC Mini and ran across this thread. I chose the VTC Mini for the lighter weight, firmware upgrade feature, & better battery door. Weight is a pretty big deal to me. My IPV Mini is so darn heavy. After getting that, weight started to mean something.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was looking up reviews to decide between the D2 or the VTC Mini and ran across this thread. I chose the VTC Mini for the lighter weight, firmware upgrade feature, & better battery door. Weight is a pretty big deal to me. My IPV Mini is so darn heavy. After getting that, weight started to mean something.
Don't know much about the VTC but I do have the D2 and love it! ($49)..I can't believe the power in this small, 75w compact and well made, single 18650 mod..been vaping various subtanks on it between 35-55w flawlessly..
Batt swaps are very fast and easy thx to the batt shell that slides on ball bearings, much like the IPV4..but because it came with a silicon sleeve I sometimes charge in-mod with the supplied charger cord...fully charges under 2hrs..
I know there are several threads on this mod already so I'll close by saying this is the best $50 I've spent on vape gear this year....its great!

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

According to FT, the VTC is 20 grams heavier then the D2. I just weighed my IPV MINI with a Kanger Subtank outfitted with a bell tank -- 252 grams!

I agree with all your other points. I just couldn't resist the D2's sweet shape and small size.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
According to FT, the VTC is 20 grams heavier then the D2. I just weighed my IPV MINI with a Kanger Subtank outfitted with a bell tank -- 252 grams!

I agree with all your other points. I just couldn't resist the D2's sweet shape and small size.

Really?! :eek: I read two different people who have both (or claimed to), comment on the D2 being heavier. I really hope they weren't wrong. If it is heavy I'll just use it at home and find another TC mod for traveling.

Is FT ever wrong about posted item weight?

Edit to add: According to FT the VTC Mini is listed as 10g heavier than the original VT, which is larger and has a built in battery. The weight listing has to be wrong. The mini, without a battery, cannot be heavier than the larger original with a built in 5000 mAh battery. I'm calling shenanigans.

Last edited:

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Edit to add: According to FT the VTC Mini is listed as 10g heavier than the original VT, which is larger and has a built in battery. The weight listing has to be wrong. The mini, without a battery, cannot be heavier than the larger original with a built in 5000 mAh battery. I'm calling shenanigans.

I agree with you. Sorry for the confusion.

VU Sponsors