Become a Patron!

Is Smok that bad?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VTC5A is much better or the VTC6 for under 20 amps.
And the 5A is only $5.99 ea right now at Illumn.com
Much cheaper than I suspect that you paid for an MXJO.
Yeah, I suspect he paid about double the price of the 30Q for that which is just a rewrap of the 30Q according to Mooch's test (see the link I posted in my previous reply, it is the version that has the "20A CDC" in small print).

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let's hope it's a 30Q. That would be the best case scenario, in my opinion.

But yeah, buy your batteries from a reputable source, and only buy name brands (if you cannot buy a TV from the company who makes your vape batteries, you're using the wrong batteries lol)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Let's hope it's a 30Q. That would be the best case scenario, in my opinion.

But yeah, buy your batteries from a reputable source, and only buy name brands (if you cannot buy a TV from the company who makes your vape batteries, you're using the wrong batteries lol)
Not all rewraps are to be avoided. I recently bought 4 batteries that are rewraps, but they are the Vapcell Black at 30 amps... it is AFAIK currently the only 18650 rewrap to which there is no better alternative available to consumers. (That is, if it really needs to be 30 amps CDR and 18650.)

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's true. And weren't there some Sanyo 20700As rewrapped as well?

But to keep it simple for the average vaper, it's best to tell them to stick to the big companies from reputable dealers.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I suspect he paid about double the price of the 30Q for that which is just a rewrap of the 30Q according to Mooch's test (see the link I posted in my previous reply, it is the version that has the "20A CDC" in small print).
Actually moch found 3 different cells under the same MXJO 3000 mah 35 amp wrapper.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's true. And weren't there some Sanyo 20700As rewrapped as well?
Yeah, that would be the Vapcell Gold. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...rately-rated-a-sanyo-ncr20700a-rewrap.837069/
Trouble is, it doesn't seem like there is a steady supply of these.
But to keep it simple for the average vaper, it's best to tell them to stick to the big companies from reputable dealers.
To keep it simple, yes. But to keep it safe as well as to keep the best performance in addition to keeping it safe, then no, not necessarily always true. AFAIK the only way to get the best 30 amp batteries available right now is to buy rewraps... that is, excepting only the LG HG6 20650. Granted, the average vaper doesn't really need 30 amp batteries to be relatively "safe enough" and still be able to satisfy his/her vaping style preferences, but that doesn't also mean a 30 amp battery isn't safer than a 20 amp battery. It is, and, seeing as the average vaper barely knows anything about battery safety, maybe the time has come for the average vaper to finally start to become aware of the fact that it is.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Actually moch found 3 different cells under the same MXJO 3000 mah 35 amp wrapper.
Yeah, I know. But going by those 3 tests from Mooch, only the version that I posted the link to has the "20A CDC" fine print on its wrapper.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, that would be the Vapcell Gold. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/bench-test-results-vapcell-gold-30a-3200mah-20700…accurately-rated-a-sanyo-ncr20700a-rewrap.837069/
Trouble is, it doesn't seem like there is a steady supply of these.

To keep it simple, yes. But to keep it safe as well as to keep the best performance in addition to keeping it safe, then no, not necessarily always true. AFAIK the only way to get the best 30 amp batteries available right now is to buy rewraps... that is, excepting only the LG HG6 20650. Granted, the average vaper doesn't really need 30 amp batteries to be relatively "safe enough" and still be able to satisfy his/her vaping style preferences, but that doesn't also mean a 30 amp battery isn't safer than a 20 amp battery. It is, and, seeing as the average vaper barely knows anything about battery safety, maybe the time has come for the average vaper to finally start to become aware of the fact that it is.
For the 2XXXX cells yes but 30 amp 18650's are available as non rewraps.

For myself I see no reason to move to the 2XXXX cells and mods.

NWOVaper

Member For 1 Year
I don't like Smok for a few reasons.

My Alien's screen died after about 3 months of use. It just stopped working for no noticeable reason. It wasn't dropped, didn't get juice on it, etc. I don't coddle my mods but I don't abuse them either.

My AL85 would burn the shit out of your thumb if you placed it on the battery cap while firing. I gave it to my dad and its screen stopped working too.

Smok's coils are horrible too, the worst of any major company I've tried. In a 5-pack of Baby Beast coils, you would be lucky if 4 wicked correctly. In my experience at least 3 of them would need to be poked with a sewing needle to make them wick, and the other 2 that did wick well from the factory would allow a steady seepage of juice from the airflow.

It's not that Smok's products are horrible, they are usually just flawed in some major aspect. Ultimately I'm happy Smok's products were so flawed. It pushed me to buy my first decent mod and to learn how to build.

I've had that issue a lot from the V8 baby M2 coils and the x-baby Q2 .4 ohm coil. The only ones i've tried so far that I like are the V8 baby X4 .15 and the T8 .15. The Q2 .4 does nothing but leak and all it does is gurgle and spit juice in my mouth when I vape, even if i fire and blow it out a few times.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For the 2XXXX cells yes but 30 amp 18650's are available as non rewraps.
Now you're forgetting what Mooch wrote: "It runs cooler than the HB6, and for a lot longer, making it a better choice than the HB6 for very high current use. This is a damn good cell!" https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...it-overrated-but-incredible-performer.834167/ Emphasis in red is mine.
I already own 10 mods that can support bigger than 18650 batteries... all of them mech mods. AFAIK Mooch never said people who want high current use will be better off by staying away from those bigger cells, but rather, I remember him explaining that many of us don't like bigger cells because we think clunky mods are too impractical, but that, despite that, there can be certain benefits to using bigger cells so, even though I agree the average vaper usually doesn't need or want bigger cells, I'll just add that vaping is not a democracy so no point in trying to be dismissive of bigger cells.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now you're forgetting what Mooch wrote: "It runs cooler than the HB6, and for a lot longer, making it a better choice than the HB6 for very high current use. This is a damn good cell!" https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...it-overrated-but-incredible-performer.834167/ Emphasis in red is mine.

I already own 10 mods that can support bigger than 18650 batteries... all of them mech mods. AFAIK Mooch never said people who want high current use will be better off by staying away from those bigger cells, but rather, I remember him explaining that many of us don't like bigger cells because we think clunky mods are too impractical, but that, despite that, there can be certain benefits to using bigger cells so, even though I agree the average vaper usually doesn't need or want bigger cells, I'll just add that vaping is not a democracy so no point in trying to be dismissive of bigger cells.
I have 10 years worth of mods that use 18650 batteries and 2-3 years worth of batteries for them.
The longer run time is not worth it to me to scrap out what I have. And at over twice the cost as a good 18650 when you do not get twice the run time?
Would also have to get new chargers...

I am totally dismissive of big cells for myself.
I recall when the 26650 was the greatest thing out...

And I think only 1 of the 20700's is a great battery. I think maybe 3 places are rewrapping it though.
the 5 leg Ijoy.
For higher current apps most of the rest the rest are not so great. And that includes the other Ijoy.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
3 places rewrapping iJoy batteries? I wouldn't think iJoy had a bteery factory or got them from a company that didn't sell them their selves.
What about these?
5 leg iJoy = 30A/3000mAh vs Vapcell Gold 20700 30A/3100 mAH, and Vapcell Purple 21700 24A/3500mAH or Golisi S35 21700 30A/3700mAh

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow Guys I'm still sorting though all of these replies. So it seems I bought crap batteries for to much money. What a learning experience vaping has been for me so far and it's just beginning. That's ok I don't mind admitting that I don't know something. I do know a little about batteries form RC stuff I have been into. C ratngs amp draw and such. I don't have friends that vape so everything I have learned has come from this site or other places online. I really figured I was buying from a reputable company in Element Vape or Vaper DNA or some other large US distributor like them. I knew nothing of rewraps and I'm not sure if I may have just overlooked that on the sites I have bought form. When I bought RC batteries sure you had junk batteries but you knew that's was what they were if I bought a more expensive pack that's what I got so this is new for me. I do have a pair of 30q's I bought and no doubt overpaid for at a local shop so I can use those I just figured the higher amp rating can't hurt so long as it is real. Am I right that the amp draw would depend on the tank/coil that your using not the mod itself? If I simply overpaid well I can live with that lesson learned but if there not going to be safe top use that is another story.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have 10 years worth of mods that use 18650 batteries and 2-3 years worth of batteries for them.
The longer run time is not worth it to me to scrap out what I have.
I'm not scrapping out what I have, but I just love variation in several many ways so that is one of my main reasons why I own so many different types and sizes.
And at over twice the cost as a good 18650 when you do not get twice the run time?
Putting in a 20700 battery instead of an 18650 doesn't double the cost of vaping... if you're vaping on a mech setup that carries a price tag north of $800, then the price gap between the two different types of batteries is less than 1% of the total cost, and, on a series mech, depending on what coil build I have on it, I do get almost twice the run time so in that regard I'm looking at a whopping a 50:1 ratio, and that is without even factoring in the cost of the juice I'm vaping.
Would also have to get new chargers...
I got a new charger because with my older one the 20700 is a tight fit, but I wanted a spare charger anyway just in case one dies.
I am totally dismissive of big cells for myself.
Nobody is forcing you to buy bigger cells.
I recall when the 26650 was the greatest thing out...
Depending on how you look at it and on what your vaping style preferences are like, in a certain sense it factually still is... but I can guess you'll probably never understand why.
And I think only 1 of the 20700's is a great battery. I think maybe 3 places are rewrapping it though.
the 5 leg Ijoy.
iJoy, Efest, Ampking, EBAT, Keeppower, EnerCig, Vapcell. All of them are rewrapping the same 5-legged 20700 battery, which is manufactured by Molicel, and, all 7 of those rewraps have also been tested by Mooch... and he also tested the Molicel (i.e. non-rewrap) as well.
For higher current apps most of the rest the rest are not so great. And that includes the other Ijoy.
20650: LG HB6.
20700: Sanyo NCR-20700A (seems impossible to find), rewrapped by Vapcell = Vapcell Gold.
21700: Golisi S35 and Vapcell 21700 Purple = both are rewraps of the same battery; for now 21700 batteries are not really worth buying, but the Samsung 30T and 40T will eventually change that (as soon as they become available to us).
26650: iJoy, Aspire, Golisi, Vapcell (all rewrapping the same, good performing, 30 amp 4200 mAh battery).

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Putting in a 20700 battery instead of an 18650 doesn't double the cost of vaping...
Just doubles + the cost of the batteries. Per WH the cost is higher with the larger batteries.

I got a new charger because with my older one the 20700 is a tight fit, but I wanted a spare charger anyway just in case one dies.

already have 3 chargers.

I would like to see the 100 amp CDR 38120 in a mod. Some say they are good for 200 amps.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
So it seems I bought crap batteries for to much money. I really figured I was buying from a reputable company in Element Vape or Vaper DNA or some other large US distributor like them. I knew nothing of rewraps and I'm not sure if I may have just overlooked that on the sites I have bought form. Am I right that the amp draw would depend on the tank/coil that your using not the mod itself? If I simply overpaid well I can live with that lesson learned but if there not going to be safe top use that is another story.
Those MXJO aren't crap. They over rate them with their label but they are safe and the same as your 30Q's, and you just overpaid and didn't know. Stores/websites aren't going to say that battery A is really a rewrapped of battery B, or performs the same as battery B. That's what Mooch does. Like said, they are good for your Cylon or any other 18650 mod/tank/etc. Those 2 etailers are good to buy from, but for batteries it's better to go to like Illumn.com or IMRbatteries.com

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those MXJO aren't crap. They over rate them with their label but they are safe and the same as your 30Q's, and you just overpaid and didn't know. Stores/websites aren't going to say that battery A is really a rewrapped of battery B, or performs the same as battery B. That's what Mooch does. Like said, they are good for your Cylon or any other 18650 mod/tank/etc. Those 2 etailers are good to buy from, but for batteries it's better to go to like Illumn.com or IMRbatteries.com
I was just looking on illumn.com actually thinking I had better get some proper batteries before I use the cylon. I use my fireluke most of the time and with my alien or my al85 if they are accurate anyway they are reading at about 22amps with that tank it's a .15ohm coil. That's why I figured I needed 30amp batteries. I use other tanks but they are at high ohms's so less amp draw.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Just doubles + the cost of the batteries. Per WH the cost is higher with the larger batteries.
I agree that the cost of the bigger battery is too high.
But when considering between batteries, imo there's more than just the cost of the battery to consider.
All things considered equal - if one person used a really good bigger battery, and one used the smaller one, one of them is going to be using more batteries, changing batteries more often, and using the charger more often.
If we were all at home most of the time, they should make mods that use AA.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I was just looking on illumn.com actually thinking I had better get some proper batteries before I use the cylon.
You're not going to accomplish anything, besides having more batteries, by not using MXJO.

Last edited:

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're not going to accomplish anything, besides having more batteries, by not using MXJO.
Yeah that makes sense I don't need more than a few sets I just figured if they weren't going to be safe I'd need something ells was all.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Cylon is a great mod btw. Smoant makes some really good mods and the Cylon is on the top of the heap. Also I saw a reviewer take one apart and they seem like they’re sealed up really well under the 510. I’ve used Smoant mods for almost two years now with lots of juice leaked into the 510 and had zero failures. Best value in the regulated mod market, and yes I am a fanboy but for good reason.
well sweet I can't wait to get mine!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not a valid comparison, as you can't vape with just the batteries so you still have to add their cost to the combined cost of everything else you use for vaping with them. For example, for someone who spends $750 per year on vaping, spending $30 extra on batteries each year means that the annual cost goes up by only 4%, not 100% like you are trying to portray, but whether the performance increase engendered by it is worth that 4% additional cost is for that someone to decide.
already have 3 chargers.
Other people might have only one, and that might already support the bigger cells to begin with. Just because you don't, doesn't also mean everybody else doesn't... I'm not forcing anyone to buy or sell anything, and, as a matter of true fact, some people don't have any charger at all.
I would like to see the 100 amp CDR 38120 in a mod. Some say they are good for 200 amps.
I get that high wattage vaping is not for you. But what I don't get is why you keep giving the impression that you have something against high wattage vaping.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not a valid comparison, as you can't vape with just the batteries so you still have to add their cost to the combined cost of everything else you use for vaping with them. For example, for someone who spends $750 per year on vaping, spending $30 extra on batteries each year means that the annual cost goes up by only 4%, not 100% like you are trying to portray, but whether the performance increase engendered by it is worth that 4% additional cost is for that someone to decide.

Other people might have only one, and that might already support the bigger cells to begin with. Just because you don't, doesn't also mean everybody else doesn't... I'm not forcing anyone to buy or sell anything, and, as a matter of true fact, some people don't have any charger at all.

I get that high wattage vaping is not for you. But what I don't get is why you keep giving the impression that you have something against high wattage vaping.
myself I just don't to blow up lol.

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Once better performing 2X700 batteries are made, I imagine the performance difference will become more apparent. The Samsung 30T looks very promising and it's just one of the first usable cells of its size.

My style of vaping (and my preferences) demands duel 18650s to keep me from lugging extra batteries everywhere I go. But I'll go to a single 2X700 mod once it can provide roughly the same battery life of duel 18650s. Hopefully those batteries will be made in the upcoming year.

Wow Guys I'm still sorting though all of these replies. So it seems I bought crap batteries for to much money. What a learning experience vaping has been for me so far and it's just beginning. That's ok I don't mind admitting that I don't know something. I do know a little about batteries form RC stuff I have been into. C ratngs amp draw and such. I don't have friends that vape so everything I have learned has come from this site or other places online. I really figured I was buying from a reputable company in Element Vape or Vaper DNA or some other large US distributor like them. I knew nothing of rewraps and I'm not sure if I may have just overlooked that on the sites I have bought form. When I bought RC batteries sure you had junk batteries but you knew that's was what they were if I bought a more expensive pack that's what I got so this is new for me. I do have a pair of 30q's I bought and no doubt overpaid for at a local shop so I can use those I just figured the higher amp rating can't hurt so long as it is real. Am I right that the amp draw would depend on the tank/coil that your using not the mod itself? If I simply overpaid well I can live with that lesson learned but if there not going to be safe top use that is another story.

Amp draw = watts per battery/voltage cut off of your mod (generally around 3.2v)/efficiency of your mod (anywhere from 95% to 80%). For example, with my Minikin that's set at 90w it's (45w / 3.2v) / .95 = about 15A.

Check out Battery Mooch on Facebook. He has a better explanation of how to calculate amps, info on batteries, and more.

And if those batteries you bought as really rewrapped Samsung 30Qs, they are great batteries. They are supposed to be solid up to like 110-115 watts.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But when considering between batteries, imo there's more than just the cost of the battery to consider.
All things considered equal - if one person used a really good bigger battery, and one used the smaller one, one of them is going to be using more batteries, changing batteries more often, and using the charger more often.
Back to Egos? No thanks at .34 I would get maybe 5 puffs.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The price difference between the Sony VTC5A and the EnerCig EC-27HC 20700 is less than 1 Euro for me from www.nkon.nl (a vendor trusted by Mooch).
That's also my point. Per Mooch, the Vapcell Black is only 1800 mAh, which isn't a whole lot actually─especially if you're on a mech, and, because draining it at relatively low amps kind of defeats the Vapcell Black's whole purpose anyway to begin with, you also need to factor in that pulling higher amps from it logically implies it will run out even faster still, which isn't very practical IMO unless you can compensate for that somehow, like maybe rotate through multiple setups, but yeah... I don't always want to do that because the practicality of that still also depends on several many factors.
:D

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Once better performing 2X700 batteries are made, I imagine the performance difference will become more apparent. The Samsung 30T looks very promising and it's just one of the first usable cells of its size.

My style of vaping (and my preferences) demands duel 18650s to keep me from lugging extra batteries everywhere I go. But I'll go to a single 2X700 mod once it can provide roughly the same battery life of duel 18650s. Hopefully those batteries will be made in the upcoming year.

Amp draw = watts per battery/voltage cut off of your mod (generally around 3.2v)/efficiency of your mod (anywhere from 95% to 80%). For example, with my Minikin that's set at 90w it's (45w / 3.2v) / .95 = about 15A.

Check out Battery Mooch on Facebook. He has a better explanation of how to calculate amps, info on batteries, and more.

And if those batteries you bought as really rewrapped Samsung 30Qs, they are great batteries. They are supposed to be solid up to like 110-115 watts.
Cool thanks I will look at his page and videos for sure.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

With a pair of 30Qs in a regulated mod they are supposed to be solid up to like 110-115 watts according to many, but the reality is that they [the 30Qs] run out faster than the VTC5As if you decide to use them that way, and that is despite the 30Q being a 3000 mAh battery vs only 2500 mAh for the VTC5A. I don't mean to ruin the fun party here, but I vaguely recall some people on this forum started using me for a pissing pole the moment after I had correctly pointed out this fact (i.e., 80-90 watts appears to be a lot more realistic if you're looking to get a longer run time compared to using the VTC5A).

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Per ohms law 3.7 volts at 75W is a bit over 20 amps.

75W maximum is what I tell anyone who asks to figure the max wattage for a good 20 amp CDR 18650.

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With a pair of 30Qs in a regulated mod they are supposed to be solid up to like 110-115 watts according to many, but the reality is that they [the 30Qs] run out faster than the VTC5As if you decide to use them that way, and that is despite the 30Q being a 3000 mAh battery vs only 2500 mAh for the VTC5A. I don't mean to ruin the fun party here, but I vaguely recall some people on this forum started using me for a pissing pole the moment after I had correctly pointed out this fact (i.e., 80-90 watts appears to be a lot more realistic if you're looking to get a longer run time compared to using the VTC5A).

That's interesting. How does that work?

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just to give a little insight on the foothold Smok has on the industry. Mark from the vaping postman and Vic from vaping with Vic recently turned Smok down to review their products because Smok insisted they signed a contract that would give Smok rights to their video reviews of Smok products. That tells me Smok was looking for scripted reviews from those two to which they couldn't say anything negative about any Smok products. Shady shit right there.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just to give a little insight on the foothold Smok has on the industry. Mark from the vaping postman and Vic from vaping with Vic recently turned Smok down to review their products because Smok insisted they signed a contract that would give Smok rights to their video reviews of Smok products. That tells me Smok was looking for scripted reviews from those two to which they couldn't say anything negative about any Smok products. Shady shit right there.

That’s why I like watching Jai Haze. Dude buys most of the stuff he reviews and gives u his opinion straight up no bullshit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Holy shit! Really? That is indeed some shady shit. I like Suck My Mods reviews a lot, and he did a Smok review not too long ago. I hope he has fallen into the BS.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That’s why I like watching Jai Haze. Dude buys most of the stuff he reviews and gives u his opinion straight up no bullshit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here,I love watching his reviews. I take it you watch Inside the Mind? That's where Mark and Vic mentioned Smok.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Holy shit! Really? That is indeed some shady shit. I like Suck My Mods reviews a lot, and he did a Smok review not too long ago. I hope he has fallen into the BS.
I kid you not. It was on a YouTube show Inside the Mind that Jai Haze and Mark do together and they have guests.

I think Matt from SMM is on the up and up. He doesn't need to bow down to any company with the following he has.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe that Matt's job is vape reviews and such.
Didn't he quit is 'day job' some time ago?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Idk, seems like people love hating on smok. People like to bitch in general, especially on the interwebs. If a company puts out too many products/options, they gripe. If a company only makes one mod every year or two, they gripe. Some smok have had issues, plenty haven't. It's pretty obvious though when there was one or two issues of the 510's coming out of stuff like the alien. The interwebs lost their shit. Oh muh god oh muh god, alien's are shit. Apparently they totally forgot that for well over a month every other post was of a wismec 510 coming loose.

I'm not a smok 'fan', I have the alien. Only smok product I've had. Sure the paint is shit, that's a lot of mods. It works fine in wattage mode, tc is non existent. I liked the hand feel of it, the firing bar. Put over 100k puffs on it, used for over 10mo straight daily and it still works. Can't really speak to their subohm tanks, I don't use factory coils. Got tired of that nonsense before subohm tanks were really much of a 'thing' and went straight to rebuildables.

I also don't expect the best from a $40 mod, it is what it is. Mainstream budget range. I've also seen a bunch of tesla wye's autofiring and having other issues, no one bashes tesla. When it happens to tesla it's 'oh well so many are out there, they're so popular there's bound to be a few bad eggs'. When it's smok, it's 'smok sucks'. It's lazy really. I've seen plenty of people post about their dna boards going out and no lie, dna has a better warranty than smok does. Smok's warranty in the u.s. through madvapes is ridiculous, waiting months for replacement. So there's that, however everyone jizzes all over dna. While a good warranty is awesome, shouldn't they not need it so often? Pretty common with the fuses on the boards going out.

Sometimes I think people give a pass to higher end stuff that fails because they have a lot of money tied up in it and they'd rather not think they paid a lot on a lemon unit. 3d printed mods like the boxers with the plastic fading over time. Oh well, it's because of the plastic. Why not call it 'shit'? When paint comes off a smok mod that's the go-to but then something like an alien is $40-50, not $250+.

Also not knocking higher end stuff at all, there's a lot of nice stuff out there. Much of it is machined better, fits better etc. As well it should when it's 4-5x the price. I do see a lot of cases though where more expensive gear gets a free pass from many folks when there's a flaw, malfunction or anything else. Seems ass backwards, you'd think people would expect lower cost lower grade merchandise to be more prone to issues and be more critical of higher end things that should live up to being higher end.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Idk, seems like people love hating on smok. People like to bitch in general, especially on the interwebs. If a company puts out too many products/options, they gripe. If a company only makes one mod every year or two, they gripe. Some smok have had issues, plenty haven't. It's pretty obvious though when there was one or two issues of the 510's coming out of stuff like the alien. The interwebs lost their shit. Oh muh god oh muh god, alien's are shit. Apparently they totally forgot that for well over a month every other post was of a wismec 510 coming loose.

I'm not a smok 'fan', I have the alien. Only smok product I've had. Sure the paint is shit, that's a lot of mods. It works fine in wattage mode, tc is non existent. I liked the hand feel of it, the firing bar. Put over 100k puffs on it, used for over 10mo straight daily and it still works. Can't really speak to their subohm tanks, I don't use factory coils. Got tired of that nonsense before subohm tanks were really much of a 'thing' and went straight to rebuildables.

I also don't expect the best from a $40 mod, it is what it is. Mainstream budget range. I've also seen a bunch of tesla wye's autofiring and having other issues, no one bashes tesla. When it happens to tesla it's 'oh well so many are out there, they're so popular there's bound to be a few bad eggs'. When it's smok, it's 'smok sucks'. It's lazy really. I've seen plenty of people post about their dna boards going out and no lie, dna has a better warranty than smok does. Smok's warranty in the u.s. through madvapes is ridiculous, waiting months for replacement. So there's that, however everyone jizzes all over dna. While a good warranty is awesome, shouldn't they not need it so often? Pretty common with the fuses on the boards going out.

Sometimes I think people give a pass to higher end stuff that fails because they have a lot of money tied up in it and they'd rather not think they paid a lot on a lemon unit. 3d printed mods like the boxers with the plastic fading over time. Oh well, it's because of the plastic. Why not call it 'shit'? When paint comes off a smok mod that's the go-to but then something like an alien is $40-50, not $250+.

Also not knocking higher end stuff at all, there's a lot of nice stuff out there. Much of it is machined better, fits better etc. As well it should when it's 4-5x the price. I do see a lot of cases though where more expensive gear gets a free pass from many folks when there's a flaw, malfunction or anything else. Seems ass backwards, you'd think people would expect lower cost lower grade merchandise to be more prone to issues and be more critical of higher end things that should live up to being higher end.
Some great points here for sure. I'd be very upset if I spent the money on a DNA mod and it crapped out.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No mod or circuit board is immune from failure.
DNA circuit boards are good.
However they do not make the mod that the board goes in, which is also very important.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No mod or circuit board is immune from failure.
DNA circuit boards are good.
However they do not make the mod that the board goes in, which is also very important.
That is a good point as well I'm just saying the more money I have spent the more upset I tend to be when something does fail. I figure anyone would be though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is a good point as well I'm just saying the more money I have spent the more upset I tend to be when something does fail. I figure anyone would be though.
Same here on the upset factor and why I buy cheapo mods on clearance usually :)
Had One mod die on me in 3 years of vaping.
A Kanger DB2 which I dropped on concrete and it hit on the fire button and broke the fire button, no more click = no more firey happening.
Still using a Kanger Kbox Mini 50w for well over 2.5 years.
Use daily.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Same here on the upset factor and why I buy cheapo mods on clearance usually :)
Had One mod die on me in 3 years of vaping.
A Kanger DB2 which I dropped on concrete and it hit on the fire button and broke the fire button, no more click = no more firey happening.
Still using a Kanger Kbox Mini 50w for well over 2.5 years.
Use daily.
You bring a very good and point. How we take care of our devices factors into their longevity. It's not just about how well device is manufactured and the manufacturers QC standards.

To me it's like anything else in life. I've always been a Ford guy because I've had great luck with them, same with Sony tvs, craftsman tools, Toshiba lap tops etc. I stick with what has worked for me and if I come across something that doesn't, I simply don't buy it again.

As far as vape products I haven't had good luck with the two Sig mods I have. One works okay but the other is a complete POS. Highly doubtful I ever buy another Sig product again.

VU Sponsors