Become a Patron!

Man’s face blown up after e-cigarette explodes while he’s smoking it

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thinking about it, the place that sold it to him should be sued, this wouldn't have happened if they never sold a total beginner a mech...and not only a mech but one with no visible venting and a direct battery connection
well it's hard to tell people what to do with their money. If i went to the ice cream store and asked for a vanilla cone and they said i could only have chocolate I'd tell them to fuck off personally lol
It was his stupidity for buying a device he clearly didn't know how to use. but the store COULD have and probably SHOULD have recommended he buy a regulated mod. But for all we know maybe they did and he said he wanted the mech

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Here is mine. (I'm mike) what'd you say?
f9951008340be1c2a16d49573365dee2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is right above yours in the screenshot with the youtube link ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, I have a few hybrids, BUT, I also rarely use them anymore in favor of a good 510.
When I do use them though, I know what is and isn't safe.
I guess in a long winded way, I totally agree with you, and these dipshit should never have had it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I got educated before I bought I hybrid style mech. I mean why increase the chance of a problem?
I have several tube mechs but all are 510 center pin styles.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Oh you were much nicer than I was. Lol

Yeah I didn't feel berating gets you anywhere. it causes people to knee jerk react and shut their brain down in anger. It's more important to educate others to prevent this then it is to berate someone who already suffered from their own ignorance. I do agree that playing the victim card is dumb and blaming everyone but himself. when did people stop being so stand up? how hard is it to say I fucked up. I exceeded the amp limit on my battery causing an explosion and didn't know what I was doing. It's like hitting a legally parked car with your car and then saying it was the parked cars fault for being in the way

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I didn't feel berating gets you anywhere. it causes people to knee jerk react and shut their brain down in anger. It's more important to educate others to prevent this then it is to berate someone who already suffered from their own ignorance. I do agree that playing the victim card is dumb and blaming everyone but himself. when did people stop being so stand up? how hard is it to say I fucked up. I exceeded the amp limit on my battery causing an explosion and didn't know what I was doing. It's like hitting a legally parked car with your car and then saying it was the parked cars fault for being in the way

Yeah you're right. I just get very angry when I see people say "oh I'm gonna stop vaping now." It makes me think of my mom and what could potentially happen to her if she continued smoking.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
well it's hard to tell people what to do with their money. If i went to the ice cream store and asked for a vanilla cone and they said i could only have chocolate I'd tell them to fuck off personally lol
It was his stupidity for buying a device he clearly didn't know how to use. but the store COULD have and probably SHOULD have recommended he buy a regulated mod. But for all we know maybe they did and he said he wanted the mech
But the general public doesn't know the dangers involved like we do, most people only have experience with AA and AAA batteries. And since they are not allowed to educate him to the dangers they should say "sorry, we can't, in good conscience, sell you that device"

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh personal Responsibility such a rare thing now days.
It is always someone elses fault.
However!
It would be nice if vaping equipment came with GOOD directions and warnings.
I fault the industry for that aspect.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I got educated before I bought I hybrid style mech. I mean why increase the chance of a problem?
After my 1st 2 mods many years ago (ego C twist then evic 11 watt tube mod) I moved on to mechs cause 11 watts wasn't cutting it for me anymore lol and regulated mods didn't have much power back then. I went straight to mechs and RDAs to get the vape I wanted. Used them for years. the last one i had (stingray X) was a hybrid. Never had any issue myself just got tired of the inconvenience of mechs and RDAs and carrying a bunch of extra batteries and having to drip etc. So i only use those at home now. I have 1 hybrid right now. I through out my stingray x cause i was using it while drunk and cross threaded the locking ring so it became useless to me without being able to lock it. I just tossed it. wasn't safe anymore. Thankfully the advances in regulated devices over the years has been awesome.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I felt that it was very appropriate to the situation. He's using his stupidity to spread lies and diminish the vaping reputation.

But you should take the high road and not resort to name calling, tell him why we all know he is a fucking moron, but w/out actually saying those words

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
But the general public doesn't know the dangers involved like we do, most people only have experience with AA and AAA batteries. And since they are not allowed to educate him to the dangers they should say "sorry, we can't, in good conscience, sell you that device"
but again they are trying to make money. I wouldn't refuse them personally but i would strongly suggest they get a regulated mod and prebuilt tank that can take an RBA deck if they want to start building eventually and refer them to youtube videos on safety. You can only lead a horse to water but can't make it drink

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh but they are now allowed to advise and assist.
Just not say that vaping is safer than smoking.

They still cannot install non factory coils though. Although they could inspect and advise on your build.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ahh personal Responsibility such a rare thing now days.
It is always someone elses fault.
However!
It would be nice if vaping equipment came with GOOD directions and warnings.
I fault the industry for that aspect.
it went from a small niche industry to a multibillion dollar industry in under 10 years. it grew too big too fast and now everyone is playing catch up.

yvaiwhy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Either he thinks everybody is stupid enough to buy his story and get some fame or he got well paid by some tobacco company to pull that off

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Ahh but they are now allowed to advise and assist.
Just not say that vaping is safer than smoking.

They still cannot install non factory coils though. Although they could inspect and advise on your build.

The guy asked them for help and they sent him home w/out that help

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The guy asked them for help and they sent him home w/out that help
due to FDA regulations. clearly they helped him when he first got it. Therefore the FDA is at fault more then the store. But still it's up to the user to be informed. You wouldn't buy a gun, shoot yourself, and then blame the store would you? Is it up to a motorcycle dealership to make sure you know how to ride one before buying one? I brought my 1st one w/o having a motorcycle license. had it delivered to my house and it sat unused until I took a class and learned how to ride one and got my motorcycle endorsement on my license. If i was an idiot and took it out without a license how is it the fault of the dealership for me crashing?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
As did I which is why I feel perfectly safe using them, in some instances; or with certain attys, to be more to the point.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I hate to be the apposing view here but...
Most of you know I'll help anyone that asks but I gotta put some food for thought out there

is publicly betraying the guy on Facebook helping us or is it making his claims of the vaping community a self fulfilling prophecy?

People outside of our community can only judge us by what they see. Most won't look outside of what comes across their way, so those people will see vapes attacking a guy that got hurt using a 'vaping device'

Is he dumb?
Yes
Is he uneducated and lazy since he didn't seek help outside of a b-n-m?
yes
Does he have zero common sense?
Definitely
Is he being a douche?
Yes

But is cussing him out on the largest social media platform helping the community or helping to substantiate his claim?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If he just got hurt and that was it, yeah I'd feel bad for him.

But he's lying, tried putting a business under and now his story is getting shared on the news and all over the internet.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If he just got hurt and that was it, yeah I'd feel bad for him.

But he's lying, tried putting a business under and now his story is getting shared on the news and all over the internet.

I know he's lying....
He's also dumb for building in supertard ohm's
But people outside of the community only know what they see.

They see that vapors wouldn't help him at the store and are now calling him an asshole.

How does that help?

If he were here on the forum it would be different, but on a platform where things go viral? Wouldn't it look like the berating of the guy, is proving his point.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thinking about it, the place that sold it to him should be sued, this wouldn't have happened if they never sold a total beginner a mech...and not only a mech but one with no visible venting and a direct battery connection

LOL.

You can walk into walmart or lowes or a number of any places and buy a turkey deep fryer, no questions asked.

Maybe people should sue every store that sells an item and something happens due to that item being misused. :rolleyes:

Walmart shopper, "I want to buy this here turkey deep fryer".
Cashier, "Have you ever used one before?"
Shopper, "No."
Cashier, "I can't sell you one until you deep fry a turkey in front of me so that I know you know how to use it."

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hate to be the apposing view here but...
Most of you know I'll help anyone that asks but I gotta put some food for thought out there

is publicly betraying the guy on Facebook helping us or is it making his claims of the vaping community a self fulfilling prophecy?

People outside of our community can only judge us by what they see. Most won't look outside of what comes across their way, so those people will see vapes attacking a guy that got hurt using a 'vaping device'

Is he dumb?
Yes
Is he uneducated and lazy since he didn't seek help outside of a b-n-m?
yes
Does he have zero common sense?
Definitely
Is he being a douche?
Yes

But is cussing him out on the largest social media platform helping the community or helping to substantiate his claim?

Fuck him. He blamed others for his mistake in order to save face. Literally and figuratively.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
LOL.

You can walk into walmart or lowes or a number of any places and buy a turkey deep fryer, no questions asked.

Maybe people should sue every store that sells an item and something happens due to that item being misused. :rolleyes:

Shopper, "No."
Cashier, "I can't sell you one until you deep fry a turkey in front of me so that I know you know how to use it."
That's pretty funny but sadly true. Anyone can buy a chainsaw or power tools and nail guns and you always see people getting hurt with them and nobody says it's a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Fuck him. He blamed others for his mistake in order to save face. Literally and figuratively.
Kinda late for that ... Looks like he mixed up his Soap with HCL

Just had to put it out there though, while people were expressing their disgust that it's helping Darwin's case.
In this case you're saving his face for him

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
due to FDA regulations. clearly they helped him when he first got it. Therefore the FDA is at fault more then the store. But still it's up to the user to be informed. You wouldn't buy a gun, shoot yourself, and then blame the store would you? Is it up to a motorcycle dealership to make sure you know how to ride one before buying one? I brought my 1st one w/o having a motorcycle license. had it delivered to my house and it sat unused until I took a class and learned how to ride one and got my motorcycle endorsement on my license. If i was an idiot and took it out without a license how is it the fault of the dealership for me crashing?
But if you bought the bike and told them you never rode before or even know how then said 'Oh well, lets see how this goes' and drove it off the lot, are they blameless if you die pulling out of the lot while causing a chain reaction accident that takes out a bus full of orphans and puppies?

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
LOL.

Shopper, "No."
But they come with instructions, a lot of the mechs I've seen come in a box with a mech in it and nothing else

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
But if you bought the bike and told them you never rode before or even know how then said 'Oh well, lets see how this goes' and drove it off the lot, are they blameless if you die pulling out of the lot while causing a chain reaction accident that takes out a bus full of orphans and puppies?
Only in America where people are sue happy and take no responsibility for bad decisions

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
But they come with instructions, a lot of the mechs I've seen come in a box with a mech in it and nothing else
Fuck, even mattresses, hair dryers and sofas come with warning labels

It's literally the law averages.
Sell enough of anything and someone is bound to get hurt through stupidity.

The guy is missing a few neurons and key pieces of judgement. -The very reason warning labels exist.

When I started vaping I found this really cool thing called the interwebs and did as much research as I could; and, I'm a card carrying electrical engineer.

The bottom line is, if you expect from others what you expect from yourself than you'll always be disappointed.

This idiot clearly has internet access, but couldn't go there over the past year to research how to build? Or was he one of the members that show up here and tell us we are stupid for telling others not build tard ohm's and only use certain batteries in certain situations.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Fuck, even mattresses, hair dryers and sofas come with warning labels
But mech mods don't
The bottom line is, if you expect from others what you expect from yourself than you'll always be disappointed.
But you are expecting him to be like you and me and most of the people here

and I am not saying he is not to blame, I'm just saying if care was taken to ensure every mod came with detailed instructions, no one was allowed to walk out of a store with a mech w/out being told the dangers, batteries all came with the true ratings and not some bs number pulled from an ass somewhere, there would be a lot less of these incidents.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
and I am not saying he is not to blame, I'm just saying if care was taken to ensure every mod came with detailed instructions, no one was allowed to walk out of a store with a mech w/out being told the dangers, batteries all came with the true ratings and not some bs number pulled from an ass somewhere, there would be a lot less of these incidents.
No I'm not expecting that I was saying that he should have...
I also think that mechs should come with warning and a brief synopsis on ohm's law.
Thankfully regulated mods are starting to come with alot of literature for new and uneducated vapors... But even those have a LONG way to go.

I reckon this is what happens when something goes from a close knit group of people to 'the cool thing to do'

Reactions: MC5

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
we live in a world with 50% of the population with below average IQs, but feels like that number is closer to 90%
Roger that!!!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
we live in a world with 50% of the population with below average IQs, but feels like that number is closer to 90%
thats because people that don't do dumb stuff don't wind up on the news.
I think i read there have been 15 or 25 battery explosions in ecgis or pockets since 2009. So less then 5 a year easily. and nobody has ever been killed. just injured. thats out of millions of vapors so the reality is less then .0001% I'm sure their are pacemakers on the market with a higher failure rate. The amount of people injured from batteries even if it was a defective device is statistically irrelevant. plus we all know it's 100% of the time use error

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no doubt this guy knew what he was doing was not safe. Whether or not he knew exactly what was unsafe or just that he was generally not being safe doesn't matter. This is all his fault and he should own up to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a lawyer by his hospital bed without even calling one. There are now law firms that specialize in suing vape shops for idiots who blow themselves up.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I gotta disagree. Any idiot can walk into a gun shop and as long as they pass a background check and don't do anything to alarm the employees, they will walk out with a gun no matter what their proficiency level. Now if said idiot goes home and blows his foot off, he shouldn't be able to sue the gun shop or anyone for that matter.

As long as the product is safe and free of defect, I don't think the manufacturers should be required to include instructions. I think it's shady and bad business not to but I wouldn't put the responsibility on the shop / manufacturer if something goes wrong.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I gotta disagree. Any idiot can walk into a gun shop and as long as they pass a background check and don't do anything to alarm the employees, they will walk out with a gun no matter what their proficiency level. Now if said idiot goes home and blows his foot off, he shouldn't be able to sue the gun shop or anyone for that matter.

As long as the product is safe and free of defect, I don't think the manufacturers should be required to include instructions. I think it's shady and bad business not to but I wouldn't put the responsibility on the shop / manufacturer if something goes wrong.
it's sad that that is very true. but to be fair if you actually go to a shooting range you have to get a safety card from them which usually means watching a video, taking a test, and showing them you know how to operate the gun correctly. and without that card they won't let you use the range

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it went from a small niche industry to a multibillion dollar industry in under 10 years. it grew too big too fast and now everyone is playing catch up.
But everyone knows that industry will regulate itself, we don't need no stinkin regulations.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But everyone knows that industry will regulate itself, we don't need no stinkin regulations.

We do have regulation now and that dumb ass blew his teeth out because the regulations prevented the shop from making his coil. He was better off before regulation. He had all his teeth.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Either he thinks everybody is stupid enough to buy his story and get some fame or he got well paid by some tobacco company to pull that off

No, but he actually got paid well selling his story and his photos to the online rags that posted this story.

He also lied claiming the shop committed a crime buy changing his coils for him recently in said stories but then recanted his lies when he edited his post one of the half dozen times he changed his story.

About the shop selling him the mech it is unknown where he got the hybrid mech (shop, online, china, etc...) but he knew so little that he went to a shop who safety built his coils for him a fucking year ago.

Then he went back and as the story goes they could no longer help him because "Rules" and "FDA" so he decided to build the coils himself.

Now he is paying for that decision.

Not to worry because some vaping advocates who happen to be lawyers have been screen shotting his lies over the last 4 days and it will be hard to sue with a bunch of proven lies.

Edit: The shop sold him a Mad Hatter RDA a year ago and he lied saying thats what exploded but had to change his story (again) when he posted a pic of a twisted messes RDA as the exploded one.

This guy is fucking stupid.

Who changes into perfect unbloody clothes and takes selfies on the way to the ER?

A fucking piece of shit attention seeker, that's who.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
No, but he actually got paid well selling his story and his photos to the online rags that posted this story.

He also lied claiming the shop committed a crime buy changing his coils for him recently in said stories but then recanted his lies when he edited his post one of the half dozen times he changed his story.

About the shop selling him the mech it is unknown whjere he got the hybrid mech (shop, online, china, etc...) but he knew so little that he went to a shop who safety built his coils for him a fucking year ago.

Then he went back and as the story goes they could no longer help him because "Rules" and "FDA" so he decided to build the coils himself.

Not to worry because some vaping advocates who happen to be lawyers have been screen shotting his lies over the last 4 days and it will be hard to sue with a bunch of proven lies.

Edit: The shop sold him a Mad Hatter RDA a year ago and he lied saying thats what exploded but had to change his story (again) when he posted a pic of a twisted messes RDA as the exploded one.

Who changes into perfect unbloody clothes and takes selfies on the way to the ER?

A fucking piece of shit attention seeker, that's who.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
yeah dude seems like a real ass hat for sure. just looking for someone to blame for his own stupidity and doing it all on social media which is providing proof of his lies

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as we're all venting, I've got a spare minute...

Just about everything about this idiot's adventure is wrong... like six ways from Sunday wrong.

I don't mech but I've got five of them from last summer. And two are hybrid-"style" topcaps. Didn't mean to buy those (it was a ridiculous 90% off sale) but I don't mind as I won't use them until I get energized enough to inspect my toppers (especially the RDAs) to see what I have that'll be safe. Why? Because I read and I'm not an idiot.
This tool seems to have gone out of his way to get a "cool" hybrid-style and then, despite being actively online, never learning about them.
Or how to build... or about Ohm's Law... or battery specs and safety.

Honestly... how? How does one manage that?

Oh and I don't recall any of the five having so much as a slip of paper in any of the packaging. "Instructions"? Yeah, right. :p

As to the pics of the "scene of the crime"... I don't see a problem.

We've all seen the large variation of the Roman Candle effect that can happen with our batteries. If this incident had a narrow spray pattern... I can imagine it creating that burn pattern as he presumably held the mech away from himself.

As for the sink...
Looks like porcelain.

I expect the break is where he slammed his fist down, screaming "fuck, Fuck... FUCK" as he did the pain version of the pee-pee dance.

:D

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

About the shop selling him the mech it is unknown whjere he got the hybrid mech (shop, online, china, etc...) but he knew so little that he went to a shop who safety built his coils for him a fucking year ago.

Good points, if you don't mind I'm going to steal a good chunk of this and use as a response.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I doubt he got paid at all. There was no copy right attached to his photos. News media pulls FB comments, pictures and video all the time and uses them. Hell, even the local paper used the pics on their site and they can't hardly pay their employees.

VU Sponsors