Next Generation MTL tanks Part 2

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FT offered me a refund one a sxk kayfun mini- they ran out - so I opted to get the gob miniv3, I figured it will get here sometime before Christmas either way.
Was that the mini v5 fantasy clone?

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My better half comes from a long line of Walkers.... eaters...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My better half comes from a long line of Walkers.... eaters...
Ohh, ok. No I was thinking more along the lines of Walking Dead. I really didn't watch it, but seems they called the zombies, "walkers".

I'm so easily distracted.... sorry guys. Carry on.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ohh, ok. No I was thinking more along the lines of Walking Dead. I really didn't watch it, but seems they called the zombies, "walkers".

I'm so easily distracted.... sorry guys. Carry on.

You my friend. Have not had the pleasure of trying real shortbread.

a1cfb64bd8896c086135a8bfc78629ce.jpg

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Picture this: kanthal 30gx2 wrapped in 36g, 2.0mm ID, 6 wraps in the Phenomenon. At 1.0 ohms, 16.9 watts. For a MTL tank, it is awesomeness. Nautilus got nothing on it.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I may have found a great combo. Great flavor (not quite Alleria or Boreas or Aromamizer Supreme ),but for a MTL.... dense vapor. I'm glad I ordered one more. Now back to the drawing board with the Calyx, I just might surprise myself.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I may have found a great combo. Great flavor (not quite Alleria or Boreas or Aromamizer Supreme ),but for a MTL.... dense vapor. I'm glad I ordered one more. Now back to the drawing board with the Calyx, I just might surprise myself.
From all of my playing around this last couple months, I have not been able to get better results in anything than with twisted coils or some variation of a clapton. In my hurricane, my go to coil lately has been a 28g SS wrapped with 36g ss 2.4ish mm id. I'm hoping that when I'm able to order a kfmv3 that a standard coil will do the trick.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It sure will. I have 2 kv3 mini, 4 mini plus and 2 mini plus v1.5.....come to think of it, I may have gone overboard a little. At 16 watts, the Phenom is a very nice tank. I think it was meant for the Vapor Flask Classic. At 15.7 watts, no more popping, just a nice, smooth vape.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just finished installing a 26g coil on my new Bachelor nano, as you can see I have the airflow shut down to only a little, my opinion is that it works great as a MTL even with out the screw kit installed, I will be getting a kit and will update how that goes when I can.

thumbnail_IMG_20160813_1518031182_zpseqldxc2p.jpg

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just finished installing a 26g coil on my new Bachelor nano, as you can see I have the airflow shut down to only a little, my opinion is that it works great as a MTL even with out the screw kit installed, I will be getting a kit and will update how that goes when I can.

thumbnail_IMG_20160813_1518031182_zpseqldxc2p.jpg
Maybe with a different drip tip, it would be better. I didn't try that!

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My problem with closing down the afc to a pin hole is that it reduces the vapor while warming it. I much prefer to reduce the air flow by other means, ie.the screw in reducers along with a small bore drip tip.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My problem with closing down the afc to a pin hole is that it reduces the vapor while warming it. I much prefer to reduce the air flow by other means, ie.the screw in reducers along with a small bore drip tip.

I'm right there with you. I almost feel as if the best solution would be to have the reducer right above the coil creating a vortex inside the chamber

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually made a 1.2 mm or so reducer for the Merlin and now I am using it. I must say, the flavor is not quite as good as I expected. I feel that the flavor out of the Phenomenon with the fused clapton in it is better.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've had my hurricane sitting on the sidelines for the last two days due to my being off work for for 4 days. I was just going to vape it a little, should it still be fine or should I rebuild it?

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fortunately for you guys, I got home from work and the brass phenomenon was waiting for me. Here's the deck with a fused clapton.

Attachments

• 1471137259768-1280618955.jpg
    1471137259768-1280618955.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 18

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seems that coppervape still has the phenomenon lite in stock. They also have the Tilemahos v2 plus? in stock. It might be worthwhile to get in touch with them.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is off topic but...I trust you guys and gals.
I just realized that I may have messed up one of my sets of batteries for my G2. I got stuck earlier with no charged batteries for my Balrog and decided to use one of the vct5s I have as a second set for set for my g5. They have only ever been used together in that mod and now one has been used in the balrog. Are they still ok to use together or could I use the other one as well in the balrog till depleted and then recharge again together? I can't use the Derringer on the G2 that's why I had to use the balrog.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It seems that coppervape still has the phenomenon lite in stock. They also have the Tilemahos v2 plus? in stock. It might be worthwhile to get in touch with them.
I have the v2 coming...if you have a link for the v2 plus please share

So far not crazy about the cloudone...it's ok but the JFC is hard to turn and flavor is medium...could be user error though so still feeling it out

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guess this second link works, it is the first one one the top, coppervape is the manufacturer.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@ToolmanTexas, what coil did you put in the CloudOne? I have one on it's way now. It should be here any time. ....this year. It is accompanied by a tilemahos v2 and a springomizer (just the inside ) I have a feeling the springomizer innards will fit in the tilemahos.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@ToolmanTexas, what coil did you put in the CloudOne? I have one on it's way now. It should be here any time. ....this year. It is accompanied by a tilemahos v2 and a springomizer (just the inside ) I have a feeling the springomizer innards will fit in the tilemahos.

@BrewBear I could only manage a 28 gauge coil under the deck screws. I prefer 26 gauge but couldn't get one of the posts to hold it.

Its a great looker, threading is nice but the one I received has some issues I'm going to have to fiddle with to get working right.

Let me know your thoughts on it once you get it in your paws :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This is off topic but...I trust you guys and gals.
I just realized that I may have messed up one of my sets of batteries for my G2. I got stuck earlier with no charged batteries for my Balrog and decided to use one of the vct5s I have as a second set for set for my g5. They have only ever been used together in that mod and now one has been used in the balrog. Are they still ok to use together or could I use the other one as well in the balrog till depleted and then recharge again together? I can't use the Derringer on the G2 that's why I had to use the balrog.
Might want to ask in battery junkies if no one is sure. I know I have no idea. I only use single batt mods.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, I stopped by Vapor DNA today, since I was in the neighborhood. I picked up a Tobeco Super Mini RTA.....or at least that's what I think the blasted thing is called. Washed, rinsed, repeat, dry. Machining is very good, AFC has click stops but it is smooth. JC very smooth, working as it should. Built deck with velocity posts and raised lip at the oval air holes - nice, something Alleria should have had.
Dual coils, 3mm ID fused clapton coils 30gx2/36g all kanthal. 25 watts, it is ok, 30 watts better but not something to write home about. 35 watts is better still but some popping, 40.5 watts much better.
Overall, a good DL tank but not MTL unless you like a loose draw with very warm vapors with the AFC closed to a pin hole. At 43 watts it is coming into it's own. The one drawback in my opinion is the one piece top cap and drip tip. Next thing to try is the same built I have in the Alleria and compare flavor. The current built is 0.69 ohms, the one in the Alleria is 0.12 ohms....time to open one of the G2 backups other put it on the Triade for now.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, I stopped by Vapor DNA today, since I was in the neighborhood. I picked up a Tobeco Super Mini RTA.....or at least that's what I think the blasted thing is called. Washed, rinsed, repeat, dry. Machining is very good, AFC has click stops but it is smooth. JC very smooth, working as it should. Built deck with velocity posts and raised lip at the oval air holes - nice, something Alleria should have had.
Dual coils, 3mm ID fused clapton coils 30gx2/36g all kanthal. 25 watts, it is ok, 30 watts better but not something to write home about. 35 watts is better still but some popping, 40.5 watts much better.
Overall, a good DL tank but not MTL unless you like a loose draw with very warm vapors with the AFC closed to a pin hole. At 43 watts it is coming into it's own. The one drawback in my opinion is the one piece top cap and drip tip. Next thing to try is the same built I have in the Alleria and compare flavor. The current built is 0.69 ohms, the one in the Alleria is 0.12 ohms....time to open one of the G2 backups other put it on the Triade for now.
I had seen those kicking around. The mini should have better flavor than the standard? I'm interested to hear more soon!

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The flavor is good but I've been spoiled by the damn Allerias. I'll have to put the identical build in this one and see.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, I put the Tobeco on the G2 and the Alleria on the Slice, both in TC. With the current builds, the Alleria puts out better flavor. I will change coils in the Tobeco in a day or two and we'll see.

VU Sponsors