Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Post a link to it, if Rich can't figure out what their talking about, it's prolly nonsense.
As a matter of personal opinion, I think all the El Nino and La Nina stuff is a load of hooey. These pseudo-meteorologists are looking for excuses as to why weather patterns change now and then and have found a coincidence in equatorial heating/cooling cycles that they choose to believe affect the prevailing oceanic currents and winds that, in turn, affect the weather patterns in the northern hemisphere. Whenever they get a temperature correlation of a degree or two, they jump up and down and scream, 'See! I was right! Let's publish a paper (and get famous and wealthy)!" They'd be far better off to see what might have altered the normal Coriolis effect... Oh well....

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As a matter of personal opinion, I think all the El Nino and La Nina stuff is a load of hooey. These pseudo-meteorologists are looking for excuses as to why weather patterns change now and then and have found a coincidence in equatorial heating/cooling cycles that they choose to believe affect the prevailing oceanic currents and winds that, in turn, affect the weather patterns in the northern hemisphere. Whenever they get a temperature correlation of a degree or two, they jump up and down and scream, 'See! I was right! Let's publish a paper (and get famous and wealthy)!" They'd be far better off to see what might have altered the normal Coriolis effect... Oh well....
I know little about weather, except the word HOT, but you hit the nail on the head, Rich

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I think I better start thinking about my pillow too. No idea where the cats are tonight, but that probably doesn't matter because I am too fatigued to snuggle much. G'night all.

phil68

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well went to work Thursday but was sent home because I had to take a nitro pill they didn't want to take a chance that I would fall out hope to still be able to keep my job

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening good pholks.....nuttin new here...eat, work, sleep.....REPEAT

You HOT hUmId SOB..... A G A I N

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Funny thing happened on the severe thunderstorm's way to Beautiful Downtown Maurine: it didn't make it.

Our forecast said we'd get thunderstorms, high winds, and rain (depending on which forecast) between 0.56 and 1.0 inches. The downrush wind started. When the wind hit about 60+ mph, I went out and took down the flag because the pole was bending so badly I thought it would snap (it is rated to withstand 100 mph, but was bent about 30 degrees). The temperature plummeted 20 degrees in a matter of minutes (really cold wind). I could see the whole western horizon lined with big nasty black clouds. Then the weird shit happened... about three miles west of our house, all those storms hit a huge invisible wall and instead of coming right over us as they should have, they all started slipping northward and missed us entirely. Not one drop of rain today (as of this writing anyway). If someone told me this story, I would tell them they were full of shit because it just can't happen that way, but I saw it myself, and I am still having a hard time believing it. I watched the clouds sliding north like they had hit an impenetrable wall and I had just watched the doppler showing them moving due east. There was no reason for this (at least not one the maps could show). Weird... just fucking weird... o_O

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny thing happened on the severe thunderstorm's way to Beautiful Downtown Maurine: it didn't make it.

Our forecast said we'd get thunderstorms, high winds, and rain (depending on which forecast) between 0.56 and 1.0 inches. The downrush wind started. When the wind hit about 60+ mph, I went out and took down the flag because the pole was bending so badly I thought it would snap (it is rated to withstand 100 mph, but was bent about 30 degrees). The temperature plummeted 20 degrees in a matter of minutes (really cold wind). I could see the whole western horizon lined with big nasty black clouds. Then the weird shit happened... about three miles west of our house, all those storms hit a huge invisible wall and instead of coming right over us as they should have, they all started slipping northward and missed us entirely. Not one drop of rain today (as of this writing anyway). If someone told me this story, I would tell them they were full of shit because it just can't happen that way, but I saw it myself, and I am still having a hard time believing it. I watched the clouds sliding north like they had hit an impenetrable wall and I had just watched the doppler showing them moving due east. There was no reason for this (at least not one the maps could show). Weird... just fucking weird... o_O
That's our alien overlords controlling the weather. Why else would an imminent storm suddenly change direction?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Definitely sounds like wind current issues, as I'm sure you know....:)

The bright side, no rain for Rich.....:vino:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's our alien overlords controlling the weather.
One of our neighboring ranchers, a really strange woman, believes the contrails (condensation trails) that most jets create at high altitude are actually chemtrails -- chemicals the government is spewing on us to control our minds. I asked her once, since I have seen these things since I was child, why we are not totally under their control already when we haven't been wearing our tin foil hats. She scowled at me and said, "And what makes you so sure you aren't under their control?" I had to drop it before I called her "stupid" to her face and started a range war.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The highlight of my day after work was driving to two different home depots buying ladders, had two guys break $200 buck Gorilla ladders this past week. They were on sale, $169 for the 22 footers, bought 8 and 16 step ladders, eight 6' and eight 8'ers.

Hopefully I'll be set in the ladder dept for the remainder of the year.....:gaah::cuss2::gaah:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The highlight of my day after work was driving to two different home depots buying ladders, had two guys break $200 buck Gorilla ladders this past week. They were on sale, $169 for the 22 footers, bought 8 and 16 step ladders, eight 6' and eight 8'ers.
Hopefully I'll be set in the ladder dept for the remainder of the year.....:gaah::cuss2::gaah:
Sounds like you need to train the troops in safe ladder handling.
I thought you already had those completed.
Naw. I thought I told you Lannie had it scheduled for Sunday - the day after the [supposed] thunderstorms.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like you need to train the troops in safe ladder handling.
I've had the little giants for many moons, probably 15 yrs....I always check ladders, but I hadn't noticed the pins where the ladder swivels at the center were worn. You really can't see the pins without disassembly. Anyway, they were snapping off at a critical juncture, so I put them all out of action.

Naw. I thought I told you Lannie had it scheduled for Sunday - the day after the [supposed] thunderstorms.
I forgot about that.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't know about you, but I'm exhausted again tonight...gonna hit the sack, gotta be bright and bushy tailed for Sunday jobs.

Oops....I should have said I know about you....surely your whipped too

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've had the little giants for many moons, probably 15 yrs....I always check ladders, but I hadn't noticed the pins where the ladder swivels at the center were worn. You really can't see the pins without disassembly. Anyway, they were snapping off at a critical juncture, so I put them all out of action.
If I lived down there, I could have repaired them all for you very cheaply.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't know about you, but I'm exhausted again tonight...gonna hit the sack, gotta be bright and bushy-tailed for Sunday jobs.
Oops... .I should have said I know about you.... surely you're whipped too
Naw, Lannie stopped using whips on me ages ago. :eek:
Anyhoo, have a good night's sleep, don't work too hard, etc., etc. (add any other pleasantries I left out) and we'll yak at ya tomorrow.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of our neighboring ranchers, a really strange woman, believes the contrails (condensation trails) that most jets create at high altitude are actually chemtrails -- chemicals the government is spewing on us to control our minds. I asked her once, since I have seen these things since I was child, why we are not totally under their control already when we haven't been wearing our tin foil hats. She scowled at me and said, "And what makes you so sure you aren't under their control?" I had to drop it before I called her "stupid" to her face and started a range war.

Oh, and don't forget the time she called me saying a UFO was following her around, and told me I could see it, too, if I looked outside to the west. And I said, "Um, you mean VENUS?" rofl-111.gif (Dumb twit of a woman...) Yes, after much discussion, I finally convinced her it was just Venus, and that she could see it the next night, and the next, and so on, until it set and then became a morning UFO. I mean, I like her, but damn, she's wacky.

But I wanted the ground wet so I can more easily auger those fence post holes tomorrow (unless Cromwell can send me his extras). :)

No worries! It's wet now! :D

phil68

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sarah said that on one of the other forums a lot of people said you have to buy the most expensive batteries out there but they don't realize that all of us don't make a lot of money. We can only afford to get the cheaper one but they last just as long as the ones that cost a lot.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No worries! It's wet now!
Yeah, just a couple hours after I posted the weather story, the follow-on storms breached the barrier and crashed on us hard (thunder, lightning, heavy rain) and it is still raining.

phil68

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, just a couple hours after I posted the weather story, the follow-on storms breached the barrier and crashed on us hard (thunder, lightning, heavy rain) and it is still raining.
Yeah the weather man said we had a 30% chance for rain and we got about 5 minutes of rain now blue skies

phil68

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, then the weather guesser missed it the other way because, in reality, you had a 100% probability; even if it only lasted five minutes, it did rain.
That's why I don't watch the news or the weather because they just say what they think we want to hear

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Back a zillion years ago, when weather forecasting was my job, we never did anything in terms of percentages of probability, but then we were not forecasting for a large area (city, county) but just the air base. For thunderstorms, it was "within 5 miles of the base perimeter" because pilots might have to take off or land through those clouds, but for precipitation, it was "on the base." So our forecasts said things like, "rain will start at 4:18 PM and quit at 5:30 PM" and you had better be damn well within a couple minutes in your accuracy because if it was snow, that could make the runway slippery, and nothing pisses off a general more than sliding off the runway. :(

BTW: I was the only one in my base's history to accurately hit the start of a thunderstorm exactly to the minute. ... but I think the weather observer lied because he liked me. ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sarah said that on one of the other forums a lot of people said you have to buy the most expensive batteries out there but they don't realize that all of us don't make a lot of money. We can only afford to get the cheaper one but they last just as long as the ones that cost a lot.
I pay under $6 for the best batteries out there.
Usually rewraps cost more than a good name brand battery.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have batteries that were the cheapest available on the website (LG HB4 18650 30A Flat Top 1500mAh Battery - Genuine - Wholesale Discount ) at about $4 each. They are all over 3 years old and still very functional. OK, they only last one full day at 12-15W or 1.5 days at 5-8W, but that is good enough for my needs. Lannie uses the same batteries, but hers are rated at 3000 mAh and cost $1.50 more. Both are customer-rated at 5 stars.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening pholkz.....just returned from a good Hatch Chile dinner at my mother's house....she stuffed the chiles with all kinds of odds and ends, then BBQ-ed um on the grill, not sure exactly what was in um, but they were good. Little hotter than usual, but excellent. It's hatch chile season in Arizona.....:wave:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am still using HG2's that are over 3 years old.
Yeah they prolly do not last as long per charge as they once did, but otherwise fine for my vaping at 16-35W.
Yeap, same here....they seem to last forever. I must have charged um over 600 times......I don't believe I paid more than $4.00 bucks a piece, on sale.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looking at a satellite view of the county today - looks like it's raining everywhere except the west coast.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Does this mean Rich opened the holes?....or the weather just prepared um for the auger?
Well, I was planning on doing it today, but it didn't happen. Other than routine chores, nothing happened today (except a marathon of Sharknado movies). As I said above, the second battalion of thunderstorms last night busted through the barrier and drenched us. Still raining this morning, very windy and... and the HIGH temperature today was 64 degrees. That's 30 degrees less than yesterday. Given that temp and the wind, heat index was not a concern so much as perhaps a wind chill factor - we wore jackets to do any outside chores. Pretty much just stayed inside, vaping and laughing at the world's stupidest movies.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeap, same here....they seem to last forever. I must have charged um over 600 times......I don't believe I paid more than $4.00 bucks a piece, on sale.
I use Samsung 24Rs I got from Amazon. Phillip uses batteries he bought at a vape shop, not sure what they are. Since I vape at between 20 and 35 watts, they seem to be working just fine for me. The Aegis Legend seems to be a little hard on them.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I was planning on doing it today, but it didn't happen. Other than routine chores, nothing happened today (except a marathon of Sharknado movies). As I said above, the second battalion of thunderstorms last night busted through the barrier and drenched us. Still raining this morning, very windy and... and the HIGH temperature today was 64 degrees. That's 30 degrees less than yesterday. Given that temp and the wind, heat index was not a concern so much as perhaps a wind chill factor - we wore jackets to do any outside chores. Pretty much just stayed inside, vaping and laughing at the world's stupidest movies.
Sounds like you finally had a relaxing day, Right On....!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds like you finally had a relaxing day, Right On....!
The only problem is that I sit there, TRYING to relax, but running the TO DO list through my brain and analyzing what I should do instead of sitting here wasting my time, OK, maybe it wasn't good weather outside, but what could I have been doing in the shop instead of wasting time on the couch? So I sit there with antsy pantsy, worrying about having twice as much to do tomorrow (and on and on and on and... I don't think I even know how to just relax anymore). Sigh...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The only problem is that I sit there, TRYING to relax, but running the TO DO list through my brain and analyzing what I should do instead of sitting here wasting my time, OK, maybe it wasn't good weather outside, but what could I have been doing in the shop instead of wasting time on the couch? So I sit there with antsy pantsy, worrying about having twice as much to do tomorrow (and on and on and on and... I don't think I even know how to just relax anymore). Sigh...
I'm the same way, to a T

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, me too. I once spent a week in a hospital bed. Couldn't get up and they had me pee in a bottle. Didn't feel like eating anything. After about 3-4 days, I finally got used to doing nothing but lying there watching the boob tube. But that situation never happens at home (thank gawd) and, no matter how trivial, there is ALWAYS something that needs doing, day or night. All I can say is, I guess, there is no rest for the wicked -- old pharts with a work ethic.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, me too. I once spent a week in a hospital bed. Couldn't get up and they had me pee in a bottle. Didn't feel like eating anything. After about 3-4 days, I finally got used to doing nothing but lying there watching the boob tube. But that situation never happens at home (thank gawd) and, no matter how trivial, there is ALWAYS something that needs doing, day or night. All I can say is, I guess, there is no rest for the wicked -- old pharts with a work ethic.
Half the time I can't sleep, figure I should be doing something, bookwork, scheduling, taxes...et al....never a dull moment.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So what are ya gonna do in EC? No job, per se, no internet, no cell phone... gonna have a computer so ya can do the books? How ya gonna stay in touch with the crew in Phoenix, who's doing the work, are the checks getting put in the bank? Are you gonna sit down there and worry yourself to death?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't been gone for more than a month in the last 25 years....I have a guy who works for me I trust, not sure about the bookkeeping part, but he can surely do the work, and supervise the crew.

When I talked to my GF in EC tonight, I told her I had to postpone the plane ticket again....she wasn't to happy, but understands. Never been so busy in my life, guess you have to get it while the gettin's good.

VU Sponsors