Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hope @Draconigena didn't finished off his back problems today......:eek:
I am here, Dale, though extremely tired and pondering an early night. Don't know if I'll make that because I have a zillion e-mails to catch up on due to being gone shopping all day, so I just turned the dang computer on a little while ago. Well, actually, it has been "on" for nearly two weeks because it is dying and refuses to execute some routine commands (like shut down), but I turned the display on just a few minutes ago.

Hey, here's a Walmartian story for you that backs up my previous statements about getting these guys to do what I want. I looked at a new computer while I was in there today (scoping out prices) and I refuse to pay 5-6-7 hundred bucks for something with enough RAM and disc space to play tons of video games and save every piece of music or movie known to man. I DO NOT PLAY THOSE STUPID ASS CHILDISH VIDEO GAMES! They think the answer to all the world's problems is to blow something up or murder it... In any case, I found one that is adequate for me and it was marked at $299 (HP slimline). I asked the sales geek about it and whether or not I was likely to find one cheaper online. He pulled out his smart phone and went to Walmart.com and found the exact same unit for $229. I said, with tongue in cheek, "Guess I just better go home and order it online then." I pushed the box back on the shelf and he said, "Well, since it is advertised at our online site for that price, I can mark this one down to that price." So, I managed to save $70 just by getting this kid to look online (he HAD to give it to me at that sale price, but he did not know that I knew that). Now I have it at the cheap online price but with a store receipt in case anything goes wrong with it, THEY have to take it back and replace it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am here, Dale, though extremely tired and pondering an early night. Don't know if I'll make that because I have a zillion e-mails to catch up on due to being gone shopping all day, so I just turned the dang computer on a little while ago. Well, actually, it has been "on" for nearly two weeks because it is dying and refuses to execute some routine commands (like shut down), but I turned the display on just a few minutes ago.

Hey, here's a Walmartian story for you that backs up my previous statements about getting these guys to do what I want. I looked at a new computer while I was in there today (scoping out prices) and I refuse to pay 5-6-7 hundred bucks for something with enough RAM and disc space to play tons of video games and save every piece of music or movie known to man. I DO NOT PLAY THOSE STUPID ASS CHILDISH VIDEO GAMES! They think the answer to all the world's problems is to blow something up or murder it... In any case, I found one that is adequate for me and it was marked at $299 (HP slimline). I asked the sales geek about it and whether or not I was likely to find one cheaper online. He pulled out his smart phone and went to Walmart.com and found the exact same unit for $229. I said, with tongue in cheek, "Guess I just better go home and order it online then." I pushed the box back on the shelf and he said, "Well, since it is advertised at our online site for that price, I can mark this one down to that price." So, I managed to save $70 just by getting this kid to look online (he HAD to give it to me at that sale price, but he did not know that I knew that). Now I have it at the cheap online price but with a store receipt in case anything goes wrong with it, THEY have to take it back and replace it.
Nice, Rich....I never owned an HP, but their printers work fine.

How was the chinese food....:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did a bunch of running around today as well, had to get new return air filters, then my mother said she needed them too, so I took a box to her house. Bought some odds and ends I needed at Kroger, went to the post office, and also bought chinese food this evening. All that running around, I noticed I have 74 miles on my truck now.....:teehee:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rich, is that 30 watt mod still holding a charge?...if so, I found a couple more today I'll send your way.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rich, is that 30 watt mod still holding a charge?...if so, I found a couple more today I'll send your way.
You mean that beautiful blue baby iStick 30? Yes, it is working perfectly... like brand new. I have several mods I like, but given that the iStick30 was my very first non-EVOD vaping experience, I suspect there will always be a love affair there...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As in central heating and air conditioning filters?

Is this one staying in AZ or will it eventually find a new home in EC as well?
Yes, A/C filters.

The truck is staying here, in the garage when I'm gone. The Tundra I shipped to EC is doing fine according to Eli. Said she has about 5K miles on it.

I didn't drive the one I bought a few days ago before paying for it...anyway, today I found options I didn't know it had. Rear camera when backing up, power seats with lumbar, heated seats (for what?) power rear window. Connect your phone to the what looks like a computer screen in the dashboard...It's incredible the shit they put in new vehicles now, and I certainly don't think that is a good thing by any stretch of the imagination. More shit to fail. The owners manual says it has 117 computers onboard, after I read that I put the manual back in the glovebox.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The owners manual says it has 117 computers onboard
The more chips they stuff into the electronics, the higher the likelihood of total system failure. In some cases, an item that could have been adjusted with a screwdriver (in the good old days with not even a mechanic needed) now requires hundreds of dollars of electronics or the vehicle will not run at all. Not only would I like to be transported back to the 1960s, but I wish all cars and TVs and phones also had never progressed beyond that point.

JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN BUILD A THING DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The more chips they stuff into the electronics, the higher the likelihood of total system failure. In some cases, an item that could have been adjusted with a screwdriver (in the good old days with not even a mechanic needed) now requires hundreds of dollars of electronics or the vehicle will not run at all. Not only would I like to be transported back to the 1960s, but I wish all cars and TVs and phones also had never progressed beyond that point.

JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN BUILD A THING DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD.
Oh I agree....like we mentioned a couple days ago.

I would imagine it would take me an entire day to figure out all the options on the damn thing.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's got a 24 month bumper to bumper warranty on incidental shit, in 23 months I'll get a new one.....:devil:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, my ass is slowly slipping off this chair, so I think it is time to close my eyes for the day. But I am gonna leave with a comparison of Now vs. Then.

This is how it was in 1918
One hundred years ago.
What a difference a century makes!

Here are some actual statistics for the Year 1918:

The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.
Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.
The average US wage in 1918 was 22 cents per hour.
The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year. (they weren't snowflakes - they were happy with that wage)
A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year.
A dentist earned $2,500 per year.
A veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year.
And, a mechanical engineer made about $5,000 per year.
More than 95 percent of all births took place at home.
Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard."
Sugar cost four cents a pound.
Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
Most women only washed their hair once a month, and, used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
The Five leading causes of death were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke
The American flag had only 45 stars.
The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was only 30 people.
Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.
There was neither a Mother's Day nor a Father's Day.
Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write and, only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school. (today, none of our high school graduates could pass the test they had to pass in 1918)
M*rijuana, h*roin, and m*rphine were all available over the counter at local corner drugstores.
Back then pharmacists said, "H*roin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach, bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health!" (Shocking?)
Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help...
There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. ! (you probably have more than that today in your own neighborhood)

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You have the new puter working now?
Much too tired today to even open the box, much less try to figure out what can be transferred from the old 'puter (Windoze XP) to the new one (Win10 - Gates' attempt at total control of your life -- I will be deleting a zillion of their programs before I ever go online with this thing). Anyway, there is a sleeping kitten at my feet, so I guess I better carry him off to bed. Yak more tomorrow. :)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hope you deleted all the garbage on the puter prior to going online......:vino:

Global cooling here today, low-mid 90's....really strange for this time of the year.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, in reality Dale, I still haven't even opened the box. Something weird going on with this body that probably is a result of over-working it during yesterday's shopping. Had cramps up and down my left leg all night. I was also shivering as if it was freezing in the bedroom, but the thermometer said it was 75 (fever?). When Lannie woke me up this morning, and I tried to get out of bed, I nearly fell face-first into the closet because my right knee was refusing to work. I put a knee brace on that, but have been staggering around all day and almost fell over a couple times on my way to/from the barns. Back hurts a lot and now the right shoulder is screaming at me (Like, hey, wait a damn minute! The rotator cuff issue is the left shoulder!). And what a headache!!! Damn! Did I just suddenly acquire Old Timers' Disease?

Oh, and forgot to tell you yesterday: I was right about the thunderstorms sneaking back up here on Thursday. They were so bad that, in the 25 miles between Sturgis and Newell, I had to slow way down (many people pulled off the road and stopped) because the rain and hail were so heavy that visibility was only about 20 feet (three different storms/locations in that distance and all of equal intensity). By the time I had gotten home, the thunderstorms caught up and did the same thing to us here. I think that was more than even I expected, but it is clear today (with exception of Montana's smoke).

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Gotta go out tomorrow to help one of the neighboring ranchers do an electrical test on one of his well heads. I love the guy, but he has no clue how to read a VOM. Too bad I am not in that business or I could sell him a... garage door opener? :rolleyes: In any case, it won't be stressful work, so not to worry.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gotta go out tomorrow to help one of the neighboring ranchers do an electrical test on one of his well heads. I love the guy, but he has no clue how to read a VOM. Too bad I am not in that business or I could sell him a... garage door opener? :rolleyes: In any case, it won't be stressful work, so not to worry.
Sounds like a good idea....better than lifting or dragging shit around all day.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Really strange how just a little difference in air current can disintegrate a hurricane in its tracks. Adios amigo....or something like that.

phil68

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you... even though I drew that one many years ago and just recently resurrected it as my current avatar, which, no doubt, will get changed in a few more months when I get bored with it.
That's the good thing about avitars you can change them when you want to. I may change mine to with help from Sarah

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening, just returned a little while ago from a small town heading toward california....what a nightmare...fatal accident first thing this morning, I-10 west bound closed, so I had wait about an hour to get off the freeway, hit side roads past the accident then back on the freeway. Coming home, same thing, another accident just before Phoenix where their widening I-10, had to get off, take side roads to a different freeway which is longer, but I had enough of I-10 for one day. Normally the trip would take about 2.5 hrs, took me 4 hrs going and almost 4 returning.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That really sucks, Dale. But other than a bad journey (both ways), how was your work day?
Not to good, there is something wrong with my stomach or associated organs....had a hell of a stomach ache all night and today...it has subsided the last couple hours, but I was seriously thinking about hitting the ER earlier, on my way home from work....and I have to be just about dead, and I mean almost DEAD to even consider going to a witch doctor.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not to good, there is something wrong with my stomach or associated organs....had a hell of a stomach ache all night and today...it has subsided the last couple hours, but I was seriously thinking about hitting the ER earlier, on my way home from work....and I have to be just about dead, and I mean almost DEAD to even consider going to a witch doctor.
So what did you have to eat for dinner last night?
How you feeling today, Rich....probably not well either I assume.
Actually, much better. Not great (Hell, I am never great anymore), but less body aches. Two hours troubleshooting my neighbor's well head (he needs a new pump) and some time messing with grain bags and stuff like that. No biggie...

Lannie made a new batch of Ouchie Fixit Stuff with a few added ingredients that should eliminate those middle-of-the-night cramps. Gonna try that out before bed tonight. Now if I can just figure out what is causing the temperature deviations. My legs were shivering from cold (cold that was not there) and from the waste up, I was sweating. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless that lumbar stenosis thing is pinching the nerves and my circulation was cut off in the lower half (not a pleasant thought to contemplate - but this too shall be conquered).

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Something she created to help me with my daily pains that my pills won't touch (her creation, my naming). It primarily contains Devil's Claw Root (grows at the edge of the Namibian Desert) and some MSM to get it through the skin and a few other herbal ingredients. She added some Epsom salts to today's batch because it is supposed to help with cramping. I do not know if she will share the entire formula because she sells it, but ask via PM and just maybe.... What I can tell you is that it beats the hell out of things like BluEmu and Australian Dream (or whatever it is called) and all those very spendy creams that contain a lot of NOT-natural ingredients. She really is a superb kitchen chemist ya know. (but don't tell her I told ya that part :D )

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Dang Dale - I choked on my vape when I read the highlighted part :hug:

Any clue why? Bad eating with all this work or what?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dang Dale - I choked on my vape when I read the highlighted part :hug:

Any clue why? Bad eating with all this work or what?
No idea, Juice...could be pancreas related, who knows...think I'll fast for a few days, clean the system.

VU Sponsors