Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
if you drive over one with an air-filled tire, the air quickly vacates the tire.
Most of the flat tires I get on my riding mowers are directly related to some branch or piece of branch on the ground near a plum tree -- usually you cannot even see it if the grass is tall. Then you proceed to the shop, turn on the air compressor and get out that jug of green slime.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thunderstorms ran through here early afternoon, but just a couple boomers and some showers. Temp dropped from 81 to 69. I needed to mow more, so I just went ahead and did it during the sprinkles, all the while telling the storm to go away. Oddly enough, it shifted and passed to the south, then the whole mass started dissipating. Wow! What luck...

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We just had a thunderstorm pass through when the weather alert came on the boob tube. They played the weather guesser intro music halfway through the report, and muted the rest of it. I'll guess it was due to some sorry ass college punk fresh on the job he didn't deserve.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The part that was a bummer was that yesterday, while mowing the "orchard," my CubCadet ran out of gas. I haven't been that inattentive to my remaining fuel level in about 15 years. Anyway, today I gathered all the empty gas cans and drove to the nearest gas station (Faith -- 27.3 miles one way) and bought 38 gallons of their cheapest gas ($2.699/gal) and that cost me $103!!! Hopefully, that will supply me for the rest of the summer.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The part that was a bummer was that yesterday, while mowing the "orchard," my CubCadet ran out of gas. I haven't been that inattentive to my remaining fuel level in about 15 years. Anyway, today I gathered all the empty gas cans and drove to the nearest gas station (Faith -- 27.3 miles one way) and bought 38 gallons of their cheapest gas ($2.699/gal) and that cost me $103!!! Hopefully, that will supply me for the rest of the summer.
Your lucky, gas is about 3 bucks a gallon here....but their widening every freeway in the state, even I-10 to Tucson is getting another lane.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So, can you remember the cost of gas when you first got your license? $0.23 leaded and no damn ethanol. And you could buy a whole brand new V8 engine at Montgomery Ward for a couple hundred bucks. What are they now? $7,000?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have an old Ford pickup with over 275,000 miles on it....not a thing wrong with the truck itself, but the engine is beginning to develop oil and transmission leaks. Just for the hell of it I asked what would a new engine cost so we could use the truck for another 10-15 yrs.....his reply was about $7,000

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey, I have an old 1974 Chevy 3/4-ton you can have for free. I haven;t driven it for 10 years because it has three flat tires and they are 16.5-inch, which you can't get any more (oh, I am sure you can, for the cost of a new car). To move up to 18" rims and tires would have been close to $2000 (including a spare) and the vehicle was only worth about $300. The engine, tranny, etc, was all in prefect working order and even though the odometer quit working, the truck had about 360,000 miles and still ran just fine. 2WD, 4 speed (granny low), 8-foot bed with a canopy. Bad weather has since ruined a couple windows, but it is free for the taking...

P.S. Looks like we did it again. You signed off while I was still typing. Oh well. Have a good one.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey, I have an old 1974 Chevy 3/4-ton you can have for free. I haven;t driven it for 10 years because it has three flat tires and they are 16.5-inch, which you can't get any more (oh, I am sure you can, for the cost of a new car). To move up to 18" rims and tires would have been close to $2000 (including a spare) and the vehicle was only worth about $300. The engine, tranny, etc, was all in prefect working order and even though the odometer quit working, the truck had about 360,000 miles and still ran just fine. 2WD, 4 speed (granny low), 8-foot bed with a canopy. Bad weather has since ruined a couple windows, but it is free for the taking...

P.S. Looks like we did it again. You signed off while I was still typing. Oh well. Have a good one.
Price of most everything is getting ridiculous, especially automotive related.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Price of most everything is getting ridiculous, especially automotive related.
Yeah. The last time I was on a new car lot (while my truck was in their shop getting a new window motor -- I really miss hand cranks), I wandered around looking at the new vehicles (insatiable curiosity). Of course, a salesman ran out of the building to snag the "customer" (which he found out in a hurry that I wasn't). I asked why they thought all these vehicles should have such ridiculously high price tags, and the best he could come up with was that he has wondered the same thing.

Back in 1978 I bought my very first brand new pickup, a half-ton Chevy with full sized bed, and it cost me $2,400 (financed for two years) and today that pickup (2019 version) is $70,000 (financed for six or eight years). You can't tell me the difference is just inflation. Is it the 30+ totally unnecessary computers they put in there to make decisions for you? That everything is power assisted? That you really no longer need to do anything but sit behind the wheel and shut up while the vehicle drives? I hate vehicles that think they know how to do something better than I do, which is the same case as these damn computers and cell phones, etc. The requirement that YOU know how to do anything is being removed by the manufacturers making all the decisions for you. And you must pay big bucks to let them screw you like that.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like AC, Power door locks and Power windows that is all the stuff like that that I care to have.
I miss the vent windows though...
My 72 F100 has the vent windows though.
And nothing power.
PITA to drive.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I enjoy having AC, especially in the Texas heat. Power windows are nice, but not as nice as cruise control. My sciatica would really fuck with me if I had to use my foot to keep going at a steady velocity. But, it also makes me wonder what the hell is going on with idiots that slow from 70mph to 30mph for no apparent reason, then speed back up just to slow down again... on the freeway.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I enjoy having AC, especially in the Texas heat. Power windows are nice, but not as nice as cruise control. My sciatica would really fuck with me if I had to use my foot to keep going at a steady velocity. But, it also makes me wonder what the hell is going on with idiots that slow from 70mph to 30mph for no apparent reason, then speed back up just to slow down again... on the freeway.
They are likely texting. Or stoned?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I have only used my cruise control maybe 3 times in the past 2 years.
AC is a necessity to me in a closed vehicle when the temp is above 80 and Cruise is really nice because everywhere is far away. 48 miles to Newell from here and only about three curves in that entire road. When you have 15-20 miles of road straight as an arrow, cruise has some advantages. Power windows? Take it or leave it. Power locks? Don't need it. I have seen newer cars with more buttons on the steering wheel than any car needs on the entire dash board. It is all a bunch of totally unnecessary crap in my opinion. Auto dimmers and mirrors that change when a light hits them? I feel like I am capable of tilting a mirror if I need to. I do not want a vehicle that thinks it is smarter than me. Oh, and now radar to automatically brake your vehicle when IT thinks you are too close to the car in front of you. If you don't want to be a responsible driver, take a bus. Oh, and the radar your car sprays everyone else with... and the speed zone signs that tell you how fast you are going... RADAR causes cancer! Do you really want somebody's car or road signs spraying microwaves all over your body? Now you can't even drive or walk on a street in this country without your health being adversely affected.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
AC is a necessity to me in a closed vehicle when the temp is above 80 and Cruise is really nice because everywhere is far away. 48 miles to Newell from here and only about three curves in that entire road. When you have 15-20 miles of road straight as an arrow, cruise has some advantages. Power windows? Take it or leave it. Power locks? Don't need it. I have seen newer cars with more buttons on the steering wheel than any car needs on the entire dash board. It is all a bunch of totally unnecessary crap in my opinion. Auto dimmers and mirrors that change when a light hits them? I feel like I am capable of tilting a mirror if I need to. I do not want a vehicle that thinks it is smarter than me. Oh, and now radar to automatically brake your vehicle when IT thinks you are too close to the car in front of you. If you don't want to be a responsible driver, take a bus. Oh, and the radar your car sprays everyone else with... and the speed zone signs that tell you how fast you are going... RADAR causes cancer! Do you really want somebody's car or road signs spraying microwaves all over your body? Now you can't even drive or walk on a street in this country without your health being adversely affected.
My steering wheels have all kinds of buttons I have no idea what they do, and don't want to know, never opened the owner manuals.

LONG day, freaking Tucson, again......long boring ass ride. But it wasn't very warm today, about 95 I think, which is decent. It should be about 105

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Seems like the grass is growing about an inch per day and the damn dandelions about six inches per day, o_O It's really nice to have the grass grow so fast in the pastures, but in the lawn areas, I have to mow nearly every day to stay ahead of it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Seems like the grass is growing about an inch per day and the damn dandelions about six inches per day, o_O It's really nice to have the grass grow so fast in the pastures, but in the lawn areas, I have to mow nearly every day to stay ahead of it.
Don't doubt it, the ground is prolly at its saturation point.....or Certainly was not long ago

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, that long drive is one day per month, usually the fourth Wednesday (SS payday).
Right on, you can try to keep cutting the grass as fast as it grows.

By the way, do you eat those fresh dandelions?....I may pick some in Flag tomorrow, they don't grow worth a shit here.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
the ground is prolly at its saturation point
The surface is now dry. I can walk across the horse corral without sinking in. The Foyer in front of the cow barn is still deep and wet (lots of churning). When we first got here and I had to dig some holes in one of the lawns, I noted that the grass roots go down about 18-30" and I am pretty sure that, at least at the moment, it is still wet down there. And, of course, we're still getting the occasional shower to refresh that.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think the weeds which look similar to dandelions growing here are wild lettuce. They have thorny leaves

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
do you eat those fresh dandelions?.
Lannie used to harvest some, but I don't know if she still does. We have, literally, a million of them. The flower is good for one thing, the leaf another, the roots something else. To try to harvest all these yellow bastards would be more than a full-time job,

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hell, if we had a shit load of dandelions, I'd brew some wine....remember my grandmother making it when I was young.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Although one can make wine out of ANYthing that ferments, but I don't drink booze (often), maybe once a year. Just like making crazy shit like that.

Have a batch of Ginger Bug Kabusecha fermenting now, damn it sure smells delicious. AND - Just received my Kefir pearls from amazon, will be making water Kefir next week

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've heard of dandelion wine, but never tried any, Is it any good?

Was just outside checking the sky (supposed to be a small chance of thunderbumpers and I need to know if I should set out the drip buckets) and it occurred to me that instead of riding the mower tomorrow, maybe I should crank up the weed whacker and try to get that done fairly early. Supposed to be over 90 °F tomorrow with severe thunderstorms late afternoon/evening (which will crank up the Relative Humidity again). Also thinking about writing a country song:

Mowing mowing mowing
Keep that TroyBilt mowing
HawRide! (er summat like dat)​

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Although one can make wine out of ANYthing that ferments, but I don't drink booze (often), maybe once a year. Just like making crazy shit like that.

Have a batch of Ginger Bug Kabusecha fermenting now, damn it sure smells delicious. AND - Just received my Kefir pearls from amazon, will be making water Kefir next week

Been curious about water kefir - can't and won't try the milk

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've heard of dandelion wine, but never tried any, Is it any good?

Was just outside checking the sky (supposed to be a small chance of thunderbumpers and I need to know if I should set out the drip buckets) and it occurred to me that instead of riding the mower tomorrow, maybe I should crank up the weed whacker and try to get that done fairly early. Supposed to be over 90 °F tomorrow with severe thunderstorms late afternoon/evening (which will crank up the Relative Humidity again). Also thinking about writing a country song:

Mowing mowing mowing
Keep that TroyBilt mowing
HawRide! (er summat like dat)​
I never tasted it, I was prolly 10 years old when granny had me pickin dandelions.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
one can make wine out of ANYthing that ferments, but I don't drink booze (often),
I so rarely drink any form of booze these days... always had a Black Russian or Bicardi & Coke back in the days when I was a dancing fool at the local bars. All the husbands went hunting and it was my personal responsibility to dance all night with 40 wives... :)

I also do my best to stay away from anything fermented because I don't want anything fungal in my system (yeast, mold, etc, can be very sickening).

VU Sponsors