Become a Patron!

Perpetual check clone -barley (5 Checkers)

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys, so after finally breaking down and buying a bottle of five pawns, I have realized I can't go through life any longer without perpetual check as my all day vape.
The dilemma: there is no way I can afford to buy that much of it. Even if I cut it in half with VG.
The request: does anyone have a recipe or something close to one of the perpetual check flavor? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: see post #33 for my version's recipe.

Last edited:

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"Our tart, yet unique black currant liqueur makes this delicate blend of lemon zest, sweet fig, barley, and cinnamon stick come together for a sweetly intoxicating blend."

Looks like FA could make it happen. Black Currant, Lemon Sicily, Fig, (Barley, not sure on this one), Cinnamon Ceylon and one of the liquor flavors, not sure which, @HeadInClouds would be the best help here I'd guess. Never tried it personally.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was also addicted to this for a while. What I did discover was that it was particularly hard to clone any of the Five Pawns recipes to the extent that they had that special something! I know they do some of their own extractions, so this is likely why. I can tell you that it was because of my addiction to Five Pawns that I got into DIY. And I found a ton of recipes that I can vape all day without ever feeling the need to buy juice - if that helps!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
"Our tart, yet unique black currant liqueur makes this delicate blend of lemon zest, sweet fig, barley, and cinnamon stick come together for a sweetly intoxicating blend."

Looks like FA could make it happen. Black Currant, Lemon Sicily, Fig, (Barley, not sure on this one), Cinnamon Ceylon and one of the liquor flavors, not sure which, @HeadInClouds would be the best help here I'd guess. Never tried it personally.

I know nothing of 5 Pawns, but I know the liquor for a black current liquor flavor would be Brandy. And I can say with confidence that FA Black Currant, Fig, Brandy, Cinnamon Ceylon, Lemon Sicily would be a very tasty flavor profile. Depending on the 5 Pawns lemon bit, maybe a different lemon -- but with commercial flavorings, you won't get better than FA on those others I mentioned. ... Barley seems out of place....maybe a 'malt' flavor? I'd sure leave that bit for last (besides, every malt flavor includes some diacetyl/subs, and none of the rest there do).

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wouldn't barley have more of a grain oat note?
Would it be burley by chance?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wouldn't barley have more of a grain oat note?
Would it be burley by chance?

No, it says barley. Not even a hint of a tobacco note in this flavor. I think HICs start would be even better than the original - I did find the Five Pawns to be a bit too sweet after a while - in fact, I think I even have some left here to play with!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No, it says barley. Not even a hint of a tobacco note in this flavor. I think HICs start would be even better than the original - I did find the Five Pawns to be a bit too sweet after a while - in fact, I think I even have some left here to play with!
Just asking for clarity.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a different favorite juice I can't live without for the rest of my life every month. Give it a few weeks and you'll find another juice to latch onto...

Last edited:

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Remember, they are telling you what it tastes like, and not what flavors are in there. The barley may come from some weird combo of flavors, that have some barley like note. Maybe a beer extract, maybe malt, or maybe they age it in something that held beer at one time. Think about it like HIC's peanut butter recipe. If I were to tell you what flavors were in it, you would assume that it would taste one way, but if I said "HIC's peanut butter tastes like very sweet, homemade peanut butter" you would assume it had peanut butter flavor in it, which is not the case. It's a toss up trying to decipher a juice makers description, it's better to look for taste notes, and then figure it out from there.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all the advice and help guys. I guess I'm gonna dive headfirst into some DIY juice next paycheck!

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, so after a few weeks of trying, I have gotten pretty dang close to perpetual check... Loving it. Thanks again for the advice y'all.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
cool.. share your final recipe.. :p
i know there might be other fans of that juice out there some where that would be happy to try it as well. :)

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll definitely post it once I get it perfect. I'm still not completely satisfied, but satisfied enough to make a 30ml batch to Vape lol

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@HeadInClouds: didn't realize you have contributed so much to the diy section. I have been looking around this part of the forum for a week or two.

Which leads me to my question. I bought the FA cinnamon Ceylon, black currant, fig, lemon Sicily, and have the brandy on the way. I made 3ml of each flavor at about 8-10% in a 50/50 base. After tasting them, I realized that the cinnamon is the main flavor (at least to mine and my brother's tastes). I mixed up a 30ml batch with the flavors at:

Black currant 2.8%
Fresh fig 2.4%
Cinnamon Ceylon 7.1%
Lemon Sicily 1.7%

Does that sound about right for the flavorings? I'm still new to diy juice, I was under the assumption that total flavoring for a liquid should be between 10-20%. With what I have, it came out about 14% flavoring. The reason I ask is because I saw a lot of your posts talking about using 1-3% on flavorings, can I get the same taste with half of each flavoring?

Another question. The 5 pawns website says black currant liqueur. Would it make a difference if I mix some black currant with the brandy and let the two flavors steep as opposed to just putting them into the base juice at the same time? My thinking on it was to try to mix the two flavors first and create the one flavor out of it.

Thanks for the help on this.

Sent from my SCH-R970

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting - I don't remember even tasting cinnnamon in my bottle! FA flavors are extremely concentrated, so I think your proportions might be a little off for this recipe - particularly for the cinnamon. Most of the FA recipes I've vaped have been between 3-8% flavoring max. However, it's all up to what tastes good to you - and if you made a 30ml batch at these percentages and liked it then it's a winner :)

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When vaping the perpetual check, play with your power (up and down) and you can literally dial in on each flavor... Its pretty awesome.

As far as the percentages go, I didn't let it steep but a couple days which is probably why its not overbearing... Yet. I'll eventually make enough to where I haven't vaped it all before it can steep lol.

I did notice though that when I Vape it on my plume veil, the cinnamon did in fact come out STRONG. very strong. I'll probably wind up cutting them all down by about 25% on the batch that steeps a week. I should probably note as well that I usually Vape my drippers at about .15 ohms, while I run my orchid about .5 - .8 ohms. Looooooooove my orchid, but the flavor on it is just slightly not as good as the plume veil.

Sent from my SCH-R970

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I *think* when I was vaping PC it was in a cartotank. I found the FP flavors a bit funky in drippers - too overflavored, maybe? So that might be why you tasted the cinnamon so much. I'll have to see if I have any left in my (old) bottle and try it in the Reo, but I do remember that while I adored Absolute Pin in a cartotank I disliked it in the Reo with an RM2 (got a slightly burned rubber taste).

I'd take that cinnamon way down to around 2%, but as I said before, it depends on what it tastes like to you!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I like the sound of this one. I never had the PC, but might mix this up this weekend. I'd also drop the cinnamon way down. I can taste that one fine at 0.5%, but I'm only using protanks.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try it with cinnamon being the majority flavor, it sets a precedence with the other flavors more as complimentary.

Sent from my SCH-R970

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Your recipe, your rules, lol. I can't say I'll go over 2%, but I'll be sure to make it the major, here. I like the combo a lot!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

it's missing a smoother.. ;)
also.. pre steeping is terrific.. as it is a step to "seed steeping" and that is one of my fav steeping methods..

what i'd do is add your brandy, black current and only a tiny bit of vanilla classic, maybe a quarter of a mil.. and let sit for 3 days in your nic base..

however, your percentages for each that i see are a bit high..
yes i see that you want the cinnamon as the "leader" but keep it n between 2-3%
following that cut, lower the rest at the same percentage..
then mix to your "base" and let sit for another 3 days.. it should be fully steeped by then.
fa doesn't take long to steep, if you play with how it is steeped. :)

i'd also go with adding a drop or 2 mer 10ml of real lemon juice.

hope this works for you.. use this bit or toss it, either or..[/user]

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
it's missing a smoother.. ;)
also.. pre steeping is terrific.. as it is a step to "seed steeping" and that is one of my fav steeping methods..

what i'd do is add your brandy, black current and only a tiny bit of vanilla classic, maybe a quarter of a mil.. and let sit for 3 days in your nic base..

however, your percentages for each that i see are a bit high..
yes i see that you want the cinnamon as the "leader" but keep it n between 2-3%
following that cut, lower the rest at the same percentage..
then mix to your "base" and let sit for another 3 days.. it should be fully steeped by then.
fa doesn't take long to steep, if you play with how it is steeped. :)

i'd also go with adding a drop or 2 mer 10ml of real lemon juice.

hope this works for you.. use this bit or toss it, either or..[/user]
Sounds like helpful advice, thanks!

Sent from my SCH-R970

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Will do. Waiting on the brandy flavor to come in the mail still.

Sent from my SCH-R970

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
@HeadInClouds: didn't realize you have contributed so much to the diy section. I have been looking around this part of the forum for a week or two.

Which leads me to my question. I bought the FA cinnamon Ceylon, black currant, fig, lemon Sicily, and have the brandy on the way. I made 3ml of each flavor at about 8-10% in a 50/50 base. After tasting them, I realized that the cinnamon is the main flavor (at least to mine and my brother's tastes). I mixed up a 30ml batch with the flavors at:

Black currant 2.8%
Fresh fig 2.4%
Cinnamon Ceylon 7.1%
Lemon Sicily 1.7%

Does that sound about right for the flavorings? I'm still new to diy juice, I was under the assumption that total flavoring for a liquid should be between 10-20%. With what I have, it came out about 14% flavoring. The reason I ask is because I saw a lot of your posts talking about using 1-3% on flavorings, can I get the same taste with half of each flavoring?

Another question. The 5 pawns website says black currant liqueur. Would it make a difference if I mix some black currant with the brandy and let the two flavors steep as opposed to just putting them into the base juice at the same time? My thinking on it was to try to mix the two flavors first and create the one flavor out of it.

Thanks for the help on this.

Sent from my SCH-R970

I don't know 5 Pawns, but I know FA flavors pretty well. Unless you're making cinnamon red hots candy, you'll want to change those percents. Reading the flavor descriptions here, this is what I'd mix with FA flavors:
2-3% FA Black Currant
2% FA Fresh Fig
1-2% FA Lemon Sicily
1% FA Cinnamon Ceylon
0.5-1% FA Brandy

Because of the brandy and cinnamon, the flavor will change as it ages, at least over the first day or two. Cinnamon will become stronger and Brandy will mellow from a strong alcohol flavor that stands out - to combine with black currant and make a liqueur flavor. One flavor I'd consider adding just to taste great is about 1% of FA Catalan Cream; if I added that, I'd keep Lemon Sicily at the lower 1%. Catalan adds a little citrus, a little spice, a hint of dark caramel, some sharp vanilla, and sweet-creaminess. I know that's not the 5 Pawns profile people are describing, but I'm a big fan of tastiness.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It sounds pretty awesome... Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely have to try these out once the rest of my flavors come!

Sent from my SCH-R970

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK I just stumbled on something that might be great. Had a cup of pumpkin spice coffee, took a Vape with it... Oh man. What a blend. The mix I posted earlier paired AMAZINGLY with it. Definitely gonna seek out some pumpkin flavoring to add to a new batch, might have made this flavor 10 times better lol

Sent from my SCH-R970

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
TFA makes one, but I hear it's pretty bad. They do have Holiday Spice. It's good.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
TFA makes one, but I hear it's pretty bad. They do have Holiday Spice. It's good.

No, Huck! TFA Pumpkin is not a badly-rendered flavor. It's perfect pumpkin, just like a real can of raw pumpkin. It's just very difficult to mix with, tends to turn everything else into raw, unsweetened pumpkin. I've had limited success, but I secretly hold out hope someone, some day, will whip it into a masterpiece.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, Huck! TFA Pumpkin is not a badly-rendered flavor. It's perfect pumpkin, just like a real can of raw pumpkin. It's just very difficult to mix with, tends to turn everything else into raw, unsweetened pumpkin. I've had limited success, but I secretly hold out hope someone, some day, will whip it into a masterpiece.
As much as I love pumpkin, I assure you I'll get it down one day lol

Sent from my SCH-R970

victoryred

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@pwnby

i know this thread is a little old but, did you ever come up with a final recipe? I've been vaping on perpetual check for a while now and have gone through 4 bottles in about a month... I can't keep spending money on it. If FP sold it in a keg i would probably buy it lol.. So i was gonna try to clone it, just wondering if you could share your recipe, or is it the same one you've been using?

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, so after using my mixture for a while now, I have determined that all I'm missing is the barley, which conveniently is not made by anyone other than 5pawns. Gimme a minute and I'll post what I came up with.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mind you my tastes might be different than most, but this in my opinion is as close as I could get without a barley flavoring available.

All flavourart flavorings except brandy which is by signature

This is for a 120ml batch at 70/30 VG/PG ratio.

Cinnamon Ceylon 4-5% (i make it at 5%, it sweetens up nicely with the brandy)

Black currant 1.5%

Brandy 1.25%

Fresh Fig .9% (the fig is very overpowering at anything more than 1%)

Lemon Sicily 1% (just enough citrus to notice it)

On your first batch, you could start at 3% cinnamon, but I have a friend who is also a perpetual check enthusiast and he loves this mix (5%) as well. It's been my adv for quite some time now.

I declare this juice to be named 5 checkers.

Again, its not perpetual check in its entirety, but I feel like with a barley flavoring it would be pretty darn close.

victoryred

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hell.. as long as it's close enough.. i'll make a small 10ml batch with 3-4% cinnamon and adjust it to taste in other batches.. Thanks for the info!! I'll be ordering the flavors today. Where do you recommend ordering from?

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ecigexpress.com has all the FA flavors, plus you can order nic juice at whatever nicotine level, don't have to mess with nicotine percentages.

victoryred

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks like they're out of stock on the cinnamon :-( any other good sites to order FA flavors from?

victoryred

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
got my flavors minus the brandy, will hopefully have it by monday, had to order from 2 different companies... do you shake and vape this or let it steep for a while?

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are mixing at a higher VG ratio, I would put it in some hoy water for about 5 or 10 mins and then shake the life out of it. I've found it doesn't take too long to steep. The brandy makes all the difference in the world too lol

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll give it a shot. I broke down and bought another bottle of 5 pawns as well, I ran out of nicotine. Turns out Im not ready to go 0 nic yet lol

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Idk about you, but 5 pawns gunks my coils up in a matter of a day or two. The diy juice didn't turn dark even after 2 months of the same wick

victoryred

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ordered a bottle of the malt as well. We'll see how it turns out. Yeah it does gunk up my coils, I usually vape it out of my subtank or UD goblin and have to rebuild at least once a week. I wonder if they add a sweetener to it?

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I figure its either a sweetener or something heavy in natural sugars

victoryred

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got the rest of my flavors in last night, mixed up a 70vg/30pg 15ml batch at 4% cinnamon. i also just for kicks added 2 drops of sucralose.. gave it a hot water bath and a few vigorous shakes and vaped it out of my little boy rda on single coil mode.... running a .4 ohm coil at 55 watts, I must say i am enjoying the flavor. it's not quite perpetual check but it sure is good!! i'm going to mix up another batch with the same recipe and let it steep, then when i get the malt flavoring in a few days i will make another small batch and experiment with that

VU Sponsors