Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I saw you puff on that thing. Man it's just crazy, musta been one hell of a job making a "nest" for it.

Last edited:

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clapton made by my local shop...1st drip ever.....waitin on my hoologan, so for now...using my alien
d9f2c5c37244757772d24ce3c825922.jpg

Sent from my Sic 6
dbc483fa9848eabe82b006d40b26a707.jpg

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not a bad looking staggered fused Clapton. Should give a decent vape. But if you want flavor go for aliens or even straight fused Clapton's.

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cool. But maybe I have a dirty mind. That drip tip the way you took the pic looks like a dick. Hehehe. I'm sorry. Hehehe

ralph029

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@ralph029 one of my favorite builds in my early days was basically what you posted, but then hammered flat. its called a boneyard coil. hammering it out creates gaps between the twists and changes the surface area and heating a little bit (which imo was an improvement over plain twisted in terms of the actual vape i got). 24g ka1 is (imo) the best to use for it. if you get the twist pitch to be roughly the same as your intended inner diameter it makes a cool pattern when you wrap it up too. :cheers:

Well, I gave it a shot.. I have some work to do on the overall execution but for a first attempt... It meters out at 0.3 ohm. I built it on a Moonshot (dumbest deck design ever!)

IMG_20170204A.jpg IMG_20170204B.jpg

My first try at a clapton coil not bad, it started at .27 ohms then after getting hot spots out and let it break in per youtube tips its now .48 but thats fine with me considering i made it and the flavor was awesome. By burn in i mean fire it cold to hot a few times so the coil taste goes away.

Attachments

• IMG_1547.JPG
    IMG_1547.JPG
    770.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    965.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 53

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The build is amazing and the post to post length on the version 1 isn't very wide is why I asked. Is the 1.2 significantly wider?
Its 2-3mm wider you can fit a 5-6 wrap 3x28g/36g alien in now without a probl,em but for stuff like 10-12ply staples only 4-5 wraps still...Ive given them a suggestion about moving the posts further apart and having them at the corners of the circle....if that makes any sense...that way we could do 4-8 wraps and anything will fit in them and the airflow wouldnt be around the ends of a coil but sit directly under the actual part that glows first....giving even better flavor to a very flavorful rda....I like it alot i really want a brass edition or the 24kt LE next

Mista Malice

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Its 2-3mm wider you can fit a 5-6 wrap 3x28g/36g alien in now without a probl,em but for stuff like 10-12ply staples only 4-5 wraps still...Ive given them a suggestion about moving the posts further apart and having them at the corners of the circle....if that makes any sense...that way we could do 4-8 wraps and anything will fit in them and the airflow wouldnt be around the ends of a coil but sit directly under the actual part that glows first....giving even better flavor to a very flavorful rda....I like it alot i really want a brass edition or the 24kt LE next

I have the Version 1 and I love it! The only Gripe I had with it was the posts being too close together and the post holes being vertically bigger vs wider, but it still performs very well. I shoulda waited for the 1.2 but will definitely keep an eye out for the LE Gold tho. I see what your saying about the posts at each corner. It would open up a lot of options and space. GL with the DotMod Entry BTW!

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I gave it a shot.. I have some work to do on the overall execution but for a first attempt... It meters out at 0.3 ohm. I built it on a Moonshot (dumbest deck design ever!)

View attachment 73661 View attachment 73662
looks pretty well made to me man. nicely done :cheers: you think it feels any different than un-hammered twisted?

nice first claptons @buellertech keep at it. :cheers:

i fucking love seeing peoples first builds :hug:

Last edited:

ralph029

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
looks pretty well made to me man. nicely done :cheers: you think it feels any different than un-hammered twisted?

nice first claptons @buellertech keep at it. :cheers:

i fucking love seeing peoples first builds :hug:

Thank you. I am having some real issues with my RTA's and leakage at the moment (both my Mage and my Moonshot) So I can't really assess but the one thing I have noticed is it seems to burn less harshly than the Claptons, enough so I plan to run those coils in all my addy's for a while. I started mixing my own juice as well and bought a Paradigm Magma to use for tasting. One is definitely going in that.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you. I am having some real issues with my RTA's and leakage at the moment (both my Mage and my Moonshot) So I can't really assess but the one thing I have noticed is it seems to burn less harshly than the Claptons, enough so I plan to run those coils in all my addy's for a while. I started mixing my own juice as well and bought a Paradigm Magma to use for tasting. One is definitely going in that.
i dont have either of those rtas, but they both have dedicated threads here i think. take some pics of your current wicking and ask for some help. people here are super nice (until you start talking politics lol).

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I have a very intense love/hate relationship with the moonshot haha. I hate building on it more than anything in the universe, but i love the way the lil' fucker vapes. One thing i can say is that you absolutely MUST vape it totally dry before you refill it. Normally in my drippers i usually just use organic japanese cotton but in my tanks i only use native wicks. That stuff is my favorite wicks for tanks because i can use enough to keep it from leaking but it still wicks super fast so i don't get any dry hits like i would with the normal stuff. But if your tanks are leaking during use then you're probably just not using enough cotton in your coils. Its a delicate balance in tanks haha
f2f876ca2d9d931ba82e8a7dbbd4f695.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ralph029

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a very intense love/hate relationship with the moonshot haha. I hate building on it more than anything in the universe, but i love the way the lil' fucker vapes. One thing i can say is that you absolutely MUST vape it totally dry before you refill it. Normally in my drippers i usually just use organic japanese cotton but in my tanks i only use native wicks. That stuff is my favorite wicks for tanks because i can use enough to keep it from leaking but it still wicks super fast so i don't get any dry hits like i would with the normal stuff. But if your tanks are leaking during use then you're probably just not using enough cotton in your coils. Its a delicate balance in tanks haha
f2f876ca2d9d931ba82e8a7dbbd4f695.jpg

I'm a long way away from getting this right but I have to say that the Mage seems to have better flavor for me. I really do not like building on the Moonshoot. Maybe with more experience I'll be "tolerant" of it's "quirks". I'll give the native wicks a try and see if that helps at all. Thanks for the tip.

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Man I am about ready to pull my beard out. Freaking enigma coil. I can't keep the dang cores flat to save my life. I need some ribbon. This dang coil makes me wanna set my whole work station on fire.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Man I am about ready to pull my beard out. Freaking enigma coil. I can't keep the dang cores flat to save my life. I need some ribbon. This dang coil makes me wanna set my whole work station on fire.
I tried it with round, 6x 28g. When I coiled it the cores in the middle slipped over each other.
I don't plan on trying again till I get more batteries so I can fire a 12 ply framed staple.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Some pre~fire shots of some Staggerton buddies i whipped up today.
•12x.3mm KA1 ribbon
•2x28 N80 & 40g N80
e4ab7e13bab933586b1e0a174a914b3a.jpg

154717654791455e7b151a6033aab3ba.jpg

2ea644fc6b3c088a9344581255cc78a6.jpg

cd39a1634029ba2ebbf992fe73332f2a.jpg

I'll post some color shots once i get em edited up.
These things vape like a dream. Well worth the 45 mins or so of build time. I dunno what they read at, above .1 ohms since i'm running it on the Noisy Cricket 2.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tried my hand at alien coils for the first time... 2x24/34... wow... not pretty at all... not sure if I was under or over stretched... thought I was close but not looking at the wraps...

8752a9b57c0330a755d0fd03727b90d7.jpg
53d899114225b0d617d8ca56399804ca.jpg

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The core needs to be wider. Try 3×26g with a 36g wrap.
2x 24g works with a 26g decore. So does 2x 26g with 28g.
There are many possible combinations of working aliens. I try to use a decore larger than most for more aggressive swoops.

Make a 16" long decore using 34g over 26g and cut it into 2" sections and practice the stretch till you find what works for you. Make sure your wire feeds under the core for the initial decore and spin it the opposite direction for the wrap.
2x24g is good for practice but not much else. It's basically a pretty fused clapton. The worst vaping of all the aliens.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2x 24g works with a 26g decore. So does 2x 26g with 28g.
There are many possible combinations of working aliens. I try to use a decore larger than most for more aggressive swoops.

Make a 16" long decore using 34g over 26g and cut it into 2" sections and practice the stretch till you find what works for you. Make sure your wire feeds under the core for the initial decore and spin it the opposite direction for the wrap.
2x24g is good for practice but not much else. It's basically a pretty fused clapton. The worst vaping of all the aliens.

Yeah for this, I did the 2x24 and my wrap was decored 24... so there that... I will bust out some more practice until I get the hang off it! Thanks for the help everyone! That's why I come here!

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have never been able to pull off triple core builds. They always roll on me no matter what I do. So frustrating for me!

The alien wrap will flatten it as it goes. Loop one long frame around the swivel with a perfect 180 degree bend in it. Float the next core between the frames, hot glue the swivel end then pull it all tight and glue an inch from the end. Bind the end and put it in the drill. Use the drill to bind the other side. You can also use ribbon sliders if need be.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Tried my hand at alien coils for the first time... 2x24/34... wow... not pretty at all... not sure if I was under or over stretched... thought I was close but not looking at the wraps...

8752a9b57c0330a755d0fd03727b90d7.jpg
53d899114225b0d617d8ca56399804ca.jpg

It's always best to err on the side of caution and understretch em, you can always stretch it more......but you can't unstretch it haha. Generally if it's over stretched it'll make a triangular shape, if it's over stretched you'll get what you got here. I think it's actually harder with 34/36g than it is with 38 or 40. Smaller wire generally adjusts itself to fit while spinning, larger wire you gotta get right from the start. Keep at it though!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just thought i'd share this with y'all.....my review of the USA Ohm Meters SpinLT
If you're still using swivels you may wanna take a ganders, this little device is a game changer!

Note: this was purchased by me and in no way endorsed by usa ohm meters. ENJOY!

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The alien wrap will flatten it as it goes. Loop one long frame around the swivel with a perfect 180 degree bend in it. Float the next core between the frames, hot glue the swivel end then pull it all tight and glue an inch from the end. Bind the end and put it in the drill. Use the drill to bind the other side. You can also use ribbon sliders if need be.

I do have a glue gun! I will bust that dude out tomorrow night if I have some free time to build. Working on a kitchen remodel right now I have to have done by the 18th for my sons first birthday. I'm gonna keep at it and post some updates once I see them coming together better.

VU Sponsors