VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I <3 staples
View attachment 112657

and it seemed like a neat idea
View attachment 112658
I believe one day, very soon, if you continue to work with 46g and do more staggered types with it and eventually aliens that you will surpass my skill set with half the time I have. Keep up the amazing work Meg.....I put your page in my story on IG last night, hope it helped draw you some attention.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I believe one day, very soon, if you continue to work with 46g and do more staggered types with it and eventually aliens that you will surpass my skill set with half the time I have. Keep up the amazing work Meg.....I put your page in my story on IG last night, hope it helped draw you some attention.

I saw that this morning, after seeing like 76 new likes and stuff lol - thanks

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
this is correct. KA1 has the highest resistance followed by N80 then 316L having the lowest resistance. lower resistance heats up fast but pulls more amps from the battery thus using more power.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Only true when comparing different materials. If the metal is the same then resistance is irrelevant...only mass is. The amp draw using more power part isn't applicable to regulated mods, only mechs.

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my SS wire in today from kidney puncher. So pretty, looks much better than the eBay n80.
And WOW does this color better.. I thought I just sucked, then I got this color, I’m stoked.
Also my first time with 38g, it was no problem at all the alien wrap went on easier too.

2x28g, 8x.3R, 38g, all SS316
5.5 wraps, 3mm ID, 0.13 ohms
61d16244199fd51e71f44173b4696e54.jpg

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still dig it.

I'm going to start packing my coils in these to ship, if anyone ever buys any :oops:

View attachment 112682

Put em in here, then put these in little plastic baggies
you still dig it with those gnarly broken pieces of 40g hanging off loose?? lol I'll damn sure dig it outta the junk box and send it your way :)

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only true when comparing different materials. If the metal is the same then resistance is irrelevant...only mass is. The amp draw using more power part isn't applicable to regulated mods, only mechs.
fair and true enough.. I don't own a regulated mod so I tend to relate everything to mech.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The total surface area of the coils also matters of course, and how that works in tandem with all the various airflow and juice flow related factors etc.. But when comparing different materials you also have to account for additional factors, as an SS316L wrap draws heat away from its own surface faster due to having higher thermal conductivity so, in comparison, a Ni80 wrap draws heat away from the cores slower and away from its own surface slower so as a result the juice draws heat away from all the surface faster with a Ni80 wrap. Another factor is that SS316L has a higher volumetric heat capacity. (Heat capacity is in the official spec sheet of the materials... to convert the heat capacity spec to volumetric heat capacity all you have to do is divide it by the density of the material in question.) If you look up the definition of volumetric heat capacity (it's just simple high school physics BTW...) you'll see that it ALSO causes the surface of an SS316L wrap to heat up slower compared to a Ni80 wrap. So the ramp up of an SS316L wrap is not just slower, but NOTABLY slower compared to a Ni80 wrap of the same gauge. But the rainbow colors of an SS316L wrap cause it to draw eyeballs towards its surface faster so there's no such thing as free lunch. :D

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My single coils are also 4mm, and I almost always use 3mm for dual coils and either 4 or 5 wraps depending on how wide they are

I don't know how it works, but I even like a single coil in the Drop

Getting a 75w squonker kinda forced me to experiment with single coils, and man I dig it. I'm trying to test out the theory that higher gauge wrap wire gunks up faster, also - been over a week with a sweet caramel custard and this coil is looking better than the cotton

View attachment 112655

I used to swear I only liked bottom airflow and dual coils, but somehow I've been using one coil in the Drop for like 2 weeks, every day :confused:
Just absolutely sick waves! Beautiful!

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
one bad spot and it's all I see lol

2*26g / 38g N80 framing 8*.4x.1KA1 fused with 40g N80
327216332bd0d74fe3c1313d97c7e848.jpg

edit: shit, just found another :/ bonus points if you can find both

edit 2: bonus points if you find all three.. son of a bitch lol
Came out pretty great man. That one bad spot won't stop the coil from vaping like a champion. I wouldn't have even noticed it unless you pointed it out.:)

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The total surface area of the coils also matters of course, and how that works in tandem with all the various airflow and juice flow related factors etc.. But when comparing different materials you also have to account for additional factors, as an SS316L wrap draws heat away from its own surface faster due to having higher thermal conductivity so, in comparison, a Ni80 wrap draws heat away from the cores slower and away from its own surface slower so as a result the juice draws heat away from all the surface faster with a Ni80 wrap. Another factor is that SS316L has a higher volumetric heat capacity. (Heat capacity is in the official spec sheet of the materials... to convert the heat capacity spec to volumetric heat capacity all you have to do is divide it by the density of the material in question.) If you look up the definition of volumetric heat capacity (it's just simple high school physics BTW...) you'll see that it ALSO causes the surface of an SS316L wrap to heat up slower compared to a Ni80 wrap. So the ramp up of an SS316L wrap is not just slower, but NOTABLY slower compared to a Ni80 wrap of the same gauge. But the rainbow colors of an SS316L wrap cause it to draw eyeballs towards its surface faster so there's no such thing as free lunch. :D
/me is waiting for his diploma in the mail after going to school

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
/me is waiting for his diploma in the mail after going to school

The term heat capacity was named and first investigated by Scottish physician and chemist Joseph Black in the 1750s. His discoveries marked the beginning of thermodynamics, which is the branch of physics concerned with heat and temperature and their relation to energy and work, and, each time when we talk about watts, we're actually talking about something that was named after a good old friend of his─who went by the name of James Watt.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Is my 100mm Canon EF Macro, a new Raynox MSM-202 and also used a 35mm Extension.
Uncropped is still less than 2 wraps in frame....which is crazy
I'm looking at getting a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro lens for my Nikon. I picked up a set of extension tubes, but haven't really tried them yet.

Last edited:

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The term heat capacity was named and first investigated by Scottish physician and chemist Joseph Black in the 1750s. His discoveries marked the beginning of thermodynamics, which is the branch of physics concerned with heat and temperature and their relation to energy and work, and, each time when we talk about watts, we're actually talking about something that was named after a good old friend of his─who went by the name of James Watt.
hahaha my father is an electrical engineer, you'd think I would know more than I do lol I however, chose a different path. oh if I could turn back time

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
hahaha my father is an electrical engineer, you'd think I would know more than I do lol I however, chose a different path. oh if I could turn back time

Just tell your dad you've chosen the path of engineering advanced electric heating elements used in revolutionary medical devices' airway management systems. :)

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just tell your dad you've chosen the path of engineering advanced electric heating elements used in revolutionary medical devices' airway management systems. :)
hahahaha he'd haul my ass back to the head doctor so fast it'd make your head spin, but that's a damn good job of churching the term vaping up lol

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
first pic is an alien framed staple in my apocalypse rda second is an alien staggerton in the govad. the biggest of thank you's to @Pegleg Meg for both coils, they're wonderful! I greatly underestimated how wide these bastards would be though lol

if ever my macro turns up, I'll post some decent photos, they're really beautiful builds. love her work for sure.
3e4a0d426afd319d8f9a206fcfaa4179.jpg
7c8313ba6af5f4853493871d9836d0dd.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
first pic is an alien framed staple in my apocalypse rda second is an alien staggerton in the govad. the biggest of thank you's to @Pegleg Meg for both coils, they're wonderful! I greatly underestimated how wide these bastards would be though lol

if ever my macro turns up, I'll post some decent photos, they're really beautiful builds. love her work for sure.
3e4a0d426afd319d8f9a206fcfaa4179.jpg
7c8313ba6af5f4853493871d9836d0dd.jpg

I greatly overestimated the size of most single coil RDAs lol, Morphe is only one I've built and it's hyooj

Example...6x28, 5 wraps and a little room to spare with those clamps - too bad the airflow is turbulent and annoying, I sold it

IMG_20180419_150236_483.jpg

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
How does square wire act compared to round and ribbon? Lower resistance than an equivalent stack of ribbon? Does it stack easier?
It acts just like a stack of the same size/quantity ribbon....its just easier to use IMO

I greatly overestimated the size of most single coil RDAs lol, Morphe is only one I've built and it's hyooj

Example...6x28, 5 wraps and a little room to spare - too bad the airflow is turbulent and annoying, I sold it

View attachment 112766
That build is amazing

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Example...6x28, 5 wraps and a little room to spare with those clamps - too bad the airflow is turbulent and annoying, I sold it

View attachment 112766
dang yo, that thing is a giant lol I'm vaping the alien stagg in the govad right now the coil is like a sponge, wish I had a better rda to stick it in. the govad was a big let down for me. thanks again for this build btw, it's an awesome one that I'm a ways away from being able to do myself. you nailed it.

VU Sponsors