Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'm doing something about this tonight
View attachment 124019
I need more drawers for mine...mine sit all over too but my drawers are filled and constantly get stuck opening
I have 4 different places for wire.

Top of my build desk - the rows are 3 deep
oA3MyZJ.jpg

The wire I use most frequently within arms reach: 26,27,28,29 KA1; 36, 38, 40, 42 N80
KyuppLp.jpg

One spool each of most other commonly used gauges and alloys, as well as some ribbon
ufq8dfT.jpg

More backups - the 3.5 floppy holders hold standard sized spools, and the 5.25 are great for KP sized spools.
TL3ROgW.jpg

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 4 different places for wire.

Top of my build desk - the rows are 3 deep
oA3MyZJ.jpg

The wire I use most frequently within arms reach: 26,27,28,29 KA1; 36, 38, 40, 42 N80
KyuppLp.jpg

One spool each of most other commonly used gauges and alloys, as well as some ribbon
ufq8dfT.jpg

More backups - the 3.5 floppy holders hold standard sized spools, and the 5.25 are great for KP sized spools.
TL3ROgW.jpg
Damn.....
359ed5dfd719b9908cbd65118128b3b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I need to make a system to respool it, I tried doing what Meg's thread had but I dont have anything to cause enough tension or hold the spool well enough. Ill have to order a Spool holder thingy...I wish they had a spool like that of .3 Ribbon or 28g or 36g....
@Pegleg Meg @CrazyChef v2.0 @mach1ne @raymo2u @The_hat_trix
If you saw the condition of my spoils and my build station, you would petition to have me banned for life.:eek::eek::eek:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
6C16B725-2C3D-4654-8BCA-AE396221BED2.jpeg
Fairly decent single binded enigma. Doing a good one can give you a sense of satisfaction no matter how you do them. They definitely require a lot of effort, trial, and error. I was happy with that way this one came out. It’s nice to know you can still try some fancies even when you have time restrictions.:D

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Wow, you did a super staggerton, even more awesome than I was expecting!

Interlock fralien 2x30g, 12x.3r, 2x36g
1506438925cfd75aaab1c2b5bb85d324.jpg

Braidator Staple 8x.3r, 5 loop 36g
6bfea66cd296964549e6051e43cd63cc.jpg

Both awesome builds, man...I'll braid something like that, maybe next year? :teehee:

View attachment 124087
Fairly decent single binded enigma. Doing a good one can give you a sense of satisfaction no matter how you do them. They definitely require a lot of effort, trial, and error. I was happy with that way this one came out. It’s nice to know you can still try some fancies even when you have time restrictions.:D

Sweet enigma, man

Playing with a mixture of kanta1 and ss316
0a4277378da225f868bf246e7465ec19.jpg
93ac55e950d69c6e1632347f730d44c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Flavor monsters! Pretty, too

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This looks so cool, to me...and I could pass it off as super hard, but honestly it's the easiest hedgehog I've tried. With the right gauge decore, stretch it until it doesnt want to stretch anymore (seriously, it tells you when to stahp), bingo presto, with 0.4x0.05 ribbon

I'd try to vape it if I could fit it in anything, 4mm ID though

PSX_20181111_161416.jpg stacked5.jpg
stacked2.jpg

I'm not even sure it's a hedgehog, kinda seems like it is?

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
This looks so cool, to me...and I could pass it off as super hard, but honestly it's the easiest hedgehog I've tried. With the right gauge decore, stretch it until it doesnt want to stretch anymore (seriously, it tells you when to stahp), bingo presto, with 0.4x0.05 ribbon

View attachment 124103 View attachment 124104
View attachment 124105

IM STEALING THAT!!! It's so damn beautiful. Was it razorback? doesn't look like it. If it's a decore then it's a hedgehog. The macro is definitely a hedgehog .. But the pull back looks like a double twist tsuka.

And was it a 6/1 decore?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
IM STEALING THAT!!! It's so damn beautiful. Was it razorback? doesn't look like it. If it's a decore then it's a hedgehog. The macro is definitely a hedgehog .. But the pull back looks like a double twist tsuka.

And was it a 6/1 decore?

Yeah just tsuka, yep decore, yep 6:1

Tried to razorback .4x.05 earlier, not gonna happen lol

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

View attachment 124103 View attachment 124104
View attachment 124105

Holy crap that's cool.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
How do you parafuse?

Edit: how the hell do you parafuse...

View attachment 124109

I want both strands to stay together

N.divine to the rescue - the secret is to be very careful (01:50:00

Your stags can't be short at all. Have to fuse pretty damn slow, or at least I have to. Every time I try to speed up I end up with the para split like you have there. Other than that there's not a trick to it.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It actually rolled completely, and looks like I maybe stacked my ribbon sideways on purpose :eek::eek::eek:

Specs are 34g ss, 2x40ss (inside) and 2x40k (outside), 0.3 ribbon mixed, 26g n80 frames (big mistake, should have done 28 or smaller)

PSX_20181111_232645.jpg PSX_20181111_231058.jpg IMG_0484~2.PNG

IMG_0464~2.PNG

This was exhausting but dang I'm happy with myself

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It actually rolled completely, and looks like I maybe stacked my ribbon sideways on purpose :eek::eek::eek:

Specs are 34g ss, 2x40ss (inside) and 2x40k (outside), 0.3 ribbon mixed, 26g n80 frames (big mistake, should have done 28 or smaller)

View attachment 124117 View attachment 124118 View attachment 124119

View attachment 124121

fire build fam :D looks like you figured out para-fuse...what was the adjustment that made the difference?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I like my method for paraclapping, it makes it quick and easy.
Take 2 spools, take 2 plastic ziplock baggies, put one spool in one bag and pull the wire out of the bag.
You can seal them 1/3 of the way to ensure the spools stay in the bag while using them.
Set both baggies standing up inside a small box and set at your feet.
Attack both wires to you core, make sure they are side by side then pinch about 2 inches from the core and slide your fingers down them until your about 6"-9" away from the core.

WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP AND WARM WATER, this makes the wire slip through without snagging.

Start your drill and hold at JUST FORWARD of 90 degrees, try using the smallest amount of tension you can while still keeping the wire parallel and tight, the changes in tension may pull the wire downwards and this changes the angle of the paraclap at a microscopic level...this is one variable that can cause weaving and the more it happens the more noticeable the weaving will be when fusing.

Slide the box holding the spools as you go down your wire with your feet, when you done just cut the strands just above the tops of the baggies and they will remained spooled and ready for next time. Cut one strand on the core shorter than the other, this makes for easy removable of either strand from the core.

You can Parafuse the same way, the angle and tension is the main factor in it all working. USe 36g as one strand in your original paraclap (Example: 40g + 36g Paraclap) and when fusing the 36g gap use 2x40g.

22500432_537253576610856_1312505403946303488_n.jpg
38206662_245194739464039_4806499073479671808_n.jpg

Last edited:

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Take 2 spools, take 2 plastic ziplock baggies, put one spool in one bag and pull the wire out of the bag.
You can seal them 1/3 of the way to ensure the spools stay in the bag while using them.
Attack both wires to you core, make sure they are side by side then pinch about 2 inches from the core and slide your fingers down them until your about 6"-9" away from the core.

WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP AND WARM WATER, this makes the wire slip through without snagging.

Start your drill and hold at JUST FORWARD of 90 degrees, try using the smallest amount of tension you can while still keeping the wire parallel and tight, the changes in tension may pull the wire downwards and this changes the angle of the paraclap at a microscopic level...this is one variable that can cause weaving and the more it happens the more noticeable the weaving will be when fusing.

Slide the box holding the spools as you go down your wire with your feet, when you done just cut the strands just above the tops of the baggies and they will remained spooled and ready for next time. Cut one strand on the core shorter than the other, this makes for easy removable of either strand from the core.

You can Parafuse the same way, the angle and tension is the main factor in it all working. USe 36g as one strand in your original paraclap (Example: 40g + 36g Paraclap) and when fusing the 36g gap use 2x40g.

Wait ... 36 is .12 and 2x 40 is .16. Shouldn't be 34 and 40 or 36 and 42? Not trying to call you out. Just want to make sure I didn't miss something in translation there.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Wait ... 36 is .12 and 2x 40 is .16. Shouldn't be 34 and 40 or 36 and 42? Not trying to call you out. Just want to make sure I didn't miss something in translation there.

if you look at mine and his, mine has a bit of space between fuses and his doesnt - stagger should move a bit to let the 2x40 fit in there nice and nug, seems like...maybe I'll try 36/40 if I ever do this again, my back still hurts, I need to raise my drill and swivels up by about a foot so I can sit up straight

I forgot to mention, I did force fusing to make the stagger for those last two builds - thanks @WPMac :cheers:

For really high gauge, a little square of paper towel between fingers helps it slide through a lot more smoothly, too

Last edited:

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year

Nice... @Pegleg Meg told me about the bags also :)

Just one thing. When you mean to hold just forward 90 degrees means the hand holding the wires will be just a tiny bit near the swivels? Like an alien? Or the opposite, a tiny bit near the chuck?

Thanks for the hints man, helps a lot, as always ;)

Best.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Just one thing. When you mean to hold just forward 90 degrees means the hand holding the wires will be just a tiny bit near the swivels? Like an alien? Or the opposite, a tiny bit near the chuck?

Best.

Tiny bit nearer the swivels :)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Best.
90 degrees from the core, a perfect right angle from where the wire is attacked to the core. The wire should be pulled straight down from your core, making a right angle....hold it just a degree or 2 towards the swivels from 90 degrees as you travel down the wire....thats what I meant.

Im not one for using math or anything when I build...trial and error has always been my friend....what it seems on paper has not what Ive dealt with IRL....just like the battery conversation.

36g seems to work very well for 2x40g, 38g for 2x42....the numbers may disagree but like @Pegleg Meg said, it will be tighter together as the spaces open up as the staggers loosen up or due to the fuse getting slightly thinner from the tension used when fusing (micro stretching).

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
90 degrees from the core, a perfect right angle from where the wire is attacked to the core. The wire should be pulled straight down from your core, making a right angle....hold it just a degree or 2 towards the swivels from 90 degrees as you travel down the wire....thats what I meant.

Im not one for using math or anything when I build...trial and error has always been my friend....what it seems on paper has not what Ive dealt with IRL....just like the battery conversation.

36g seems to work very well for 2x40g, 38g for 2x42....the numbers may disagree but like @Pegleg Meg said, it will be tighter together as the spaces open up as the staggers loosen up or due to the fuse getting slightly thinner from the tension used when fusing (micro stretching).
Good to know. I'm a numbers guy, always have been for everything. Maybe I should venture a bit away from them to learn new things :D

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

View attachment 124117 View attachment 124118 View attachment 124119

View attachment 124121

Super cool!:eek::eek::eek: That skip fuse with the two smaller gauges in the other fuse is incredible. I’ve never seen that done before. Admittedly I haven’t really been keeping up cause (I sound like a broken record) I’ve been crazy busy. You have officially taken off to some next level stuff. Keep at it kid! Love your work!:popcorn:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Bro I’m sitting here breaking down the steps it takes to complete some of the stuff you post and it hurts my brain. I remember the old days where if you could do a pair of alien coils you were like a master haha. Man things do change. You are absolutely the best Coil Porn builder I have ever had the pleasure of communicating with. I learned about you during the first season of Coil Wars and I was rooting for you cause I thought your stuff was insanely cool. I think you give a lot of people inspiration to keep on trying for the sake of the art instead of just getting to fraliens and staying there. What makes this whole thing an art is the few people like you who can show us what’s really possible.:cheers:

Last edited:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A higher ohm remake of my 270 buildoff entry as requested by @Letitia9

Dropped a couple of ribbon plies on each side and went with 30g frames. 3.5 wrap on a 3.5mm ID .3 ohms each

View attachment 124161
Love it! I think that build looks sick. You’ve done a couple things I wanna copy cat. Well more than a couple actually. You’re a great builder man.

VU Sponsors