Become a Patron!

Random Pet Peeves..

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"Distinguishing Discreet and Discrete

One way to recall the difference between discrete and discreet is to use this mnemonic:

Discrete is about separating into distinct parts: notice how the two e’s are separated. Discreet, on the other hand, is about keeping information contained and under wraps: notice how the e’s are closed up within the boundaries of the word. Keeping this in mind may help you remember which of these words is which."

I wish someone would publish this everywhere, in 5 ft tall neon letters.

Andria

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
People annoy me with their high beams as well. I hated driving in a car low to the ground, I made the mistake once of giving a guy a courtesy flash. Then he gave me his and like 8 offroad lights came on in my face.

Sometimes I ran with kc lights on my pickup. Loved the lift on it but it was an older truck with sealed beam lights and adjusting them was a pain in the ass. It looked like I had a little pool of light 4ft in front of my hood, adjusted the beam any higher to extend it out further and they all but disappeared from the road. What I liked were the kc's under the rear bumper operated off a separate switch, used them for backing up mostly. Unless some jerk felt the need to ride my ass with their brights on, I could return the favor.

Another pet peeve (I have so many it should be a zoo of pet peeves) are people who talk for a living and can't talk for shit. Newscasters for instance or public speakers in interviews. They've got a short 5min spot on the air and half of it is filled with these long pauses of 'uuuuhhhhh...' and 'ummmmm'. It's like spit it out fool. Had a newscaster the other day reading from the prompter and not a thought in their head. Talking about snowplow and they said 'snow-ploh' like it was play-doh. Then they followed it up with news about people in a crowd getting 'mowed over' only they said 'mow' like 'mau'. It's like have you never read a fricken book?! You have one job to do - ONE.

Reminds me of the newscaster a few years back who to be fair was fed wrong info so it probably caught them off guard. They have a habit of reading the teleprompter like a robot though. Back when an Asiana flight crash landed on the west coast and the woman's reading off the names 'wi tu lo' and 'sum ting wong'. Like at what point should your brain have engaged and been like ok, waiiiit a minute. This can't be right. Nope, just marched on through the list. Not saying I could do a better job but reading text for a living isn't my day job either.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Heehee I don't even own a cell phone, partially because I can't get service out here and because I hate talking on the phone.... it's so impersonal. Yes I know I'm a very weird 27 year old. :crazy::giggle:

That's why it took me until May last year to get a mobile phone, because I hate phones! I can forgive my mobile for being a phone because it's also, and mostly, a tiny computer. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
People annoy me with their high beams as well. I hated driving in a car low to the ground, I made the mistake once of giving a guy a courtesy flash. Then he gave me his and like 8 offroad lights came on in my face.

Sometimes I ran with kc lights on my pickup. Loved the lift on it but it was an older truck with sealed beam lights and adjusting them was a pain in the ass. It looked like I had a little pool of light 4ft in front of my hood, adjusted the beam any higher to extend it out further and they all but disappeared from the road. What I liked were the kc's under the rear bumper operated off a separate switch, used them for backing up mostly. Unless some jerk felt the need to ride my ass with their brights on, I could return the favor.

Another pet peeve (I have so many it should be a zoo of pet peeves) are people who talk for a living and can't talk for shit. Newscasters for instance or public speakers in interviews. They've got a short 5min spot on the air and half of it is filled with these long pauses of 'uuuuhhhhh...' and 'ummmmm'. It's like spit it out fool. Had a newscaster the other day reading from the prompter and not a thought in their head. Talking about snowplow and they said 'snow-ploh' like it was play-doh. Then they followed it up with news about people in a crowd getting 'mowed over' only they said 'mow' like 'mau'. It's like have you never read a fricken book?! You have one job to do - ONE.

Reminds me of the newscaster a few years back who to be fair was fed wrong info so it probably caught them off guard. They have a habit of reading the teleprompter like a robot though. Back when an Asiana flight crash landed on the west coast and the woman's reading off the names 'wi tu lo' and 'sum ting wong'. Like at what point should your brain have engaged and been like ok, waiiiit a minute. This can't be right. Nope, just marched on through the list. Not saying I could do a better job but reading text for a living isn't my day job either.

In the same vein as "professional speakers" who couldn 't speak if their lives depended on it.... advertisements with misspelled words. If someone cares so little about their own product or service... I'm sure not giving them any of MY money!!!

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
15541144_10155337890260400_5170489766172413595_n.jpg

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Reading posts like this:

"Hi everyone! I've been vaping for about a year now and for the past couple of days I've been getting this tickle in the back of my throat. I think it's my vape. This morning I woke up with a really sore throat and I can't taste my vape. Is it vapers tongue? What's wrong with my vape?"

Seriously? It's called "a cold". I refuse to believe you've never had one before vaping. How old are you? 6? See a doctor. And grow the fuck up a little. Sheesh! :facepalm:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Reading posts like this:

"Hi everyone! I've been vaping for about a year now and for the past couple of days I've been getting this tickle in the back of my throat. I think it's my vape. This morning I woke up with a really sore throat and I can't taste my vape. Is it vapers tongue? What's wrong with my vape?"

Seriously? It's called "a cold". I refuse to believe you've never had one before vaping. How old are you? 6? See a doctor. And grow the fuck up a little. Sheesh! :facepalm:
as much as I try not to I become a Troll on these posts usually I post
jc3hn.jpg

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reading posts like this:

If it's a cold, he doesn't need a doctor, he needs chicken soup, a box of tissues, and a nice comfy bed to lay in till it passes. Docs can't do SQUAT! for a cold.

Best way to tell? A week goes by... are you any better? Yes? It's a cold. Or... Do you still have a fever? Yes? Then it's not a cold, get your ass to a doctor.

Andria

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know. I still call everything "a cold" until I find out what it really is. Lol

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I said it... Watch my video! Be thankful I took the time to record it!
Spam spam spam spam

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's one from the other side of the ear gauging. I did mine to an inch when I was 16-18. I'm now 33 (as of Tuesday!)
I have people ask me at least once per week if it hurts. I would agree that it was poor decision making at the time but now it makes me memorable to people as the guy in a suit with gauges and I think it helped me get promotions as a result.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Here is one that really Snap' My Suspenders.

I remember years ago when large groceries and big box retailers started providing motorized shopping car'ts for the use of their handicapped customers.

And this is what happened..................................

th

When was the last time you saw anyone but a morbidly obese person in one and saw individuals who were having issues with walking (Honestly Handicapped or the Elderly) not having access to one because....................Well, you see the picture.

Lets face it, if you are that heavy, you really need to consider some exercise. Perhaps starting with walking?

And while I am at it, try filling your cart with some healthy non processed food items. Like lean meat and vegetables? And keep in mind that drinking diet soda does not cancel out the calories from the 10 boxes of Snack Cakes you have in your basket.

And let the elderly and the handicapped folks the cart's were meant for in the first place have a chance to use them!

As for the picture I used, the lady in the cart was with the other people in the photo.

Getting her groceries for the WEEK!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...uest-to-become-worlds-fattest-woman-ever.html

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's one from the other side of the ear gauging. I did mine to an inch when I was 16-18. I'm now 33 (as of Tuesday!)
I have people ask me at least once per week if it hurts. I would agree that it was poor decision making at the time but now it makes me memorable to people as the guy in a suit with gauges and I think it helped me get promotions as a result.
People are fascinated and aghast at weird

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I remember years ago when large groceries and big box retailers started providing motorized shopping car'ts for the use of their handicapped customers.

th

When was the last time you saw anyone but a morbidly obese person in one and saw individuals who were having issues with walking (Honestly Handicapped or the Elderly) not having access to one because....................Well, you see the picture.

Lets face it, if you are that heavy, you really need to consider some exercise. Perhaps starting with walking?

And while I am at it, try filling your cart with some healthy non processed food items. Like lean meat and vegetables? And keep in mind that drinking diet soda does not cancel out the calories from the 10 boxes of Snack Cakes you have in your basket.

And let the elderly and the handicapped folks the cart's were meant for in the first place have a chance to use them!

As for the picture I used, the lady in the cart was with the other people in the photo.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...uest-to-become-worlds-fattest-woman-ever.html
I see it all the time! As a wheelchair user, I still won't use those carts. If they are available I save them for the elderly or those with partial mobility. It's easier for me to use my own chair - not to mention I can move alot faster and turn much better than those things; which makes playing chicken with someone in a store chair alot of fun.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

th

haha

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I see it all the time! As a wheelchair user, I still won't use those carts. If they are available I save them for the elderly or those with partial mobility. It's easier for me to use my own chair - not to mention I can move alot faster and turn much better than those things; which makes playing chicken with someone in a store chair alot of fun.

I have the opposite problem. I have what is known as an invisible disease. I have a handicapped parking placard and the application for one has to be signed by a physician certifying that you require one. I try not to use my cane unless absolutely necessary. Yet I can't even count the times someone has shit on me either as I'm parking or as I'm returning to my car because they can't see a physical disability. I understand that there are those who abuse the handicapped parking spaces, but I'm sick to fucking death of people assuming that because they can't see something, it doesn't exist. I may not have a cast on my fucking leg but that doesn't mean I can walk very well or very far, jackass. I live in a concealed carry state and I really wish sometimes that it was le

always9988

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh the dirty looks I got for using those carts after my foot surgery. I was unable to put weight on it for 4 months and had to start pulling my pant leg up or wearing my boot over my pants so ignorant assholes didn't make nasty comments about me being lazy. I'm neither obese nor old so apparently I wasn't supposed to use one, and just crutch my way through all 20 miles of Walmart while carrying groceries

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

th

That bugs the shit outta me, too. My mom was wheelchair-bound -- not because she was morbidly obese, but because of severe, disabling pain in her hips and knees that made it impossible for her to even STAND for more than a few seconds, nevermind walk -- she REQUIRED one of those scooter-carts, if she was going to shop at all.

I think they just need to make the doors narrower, so those morbidly obese people can't enter -- they've got a year's worth of groceries right on their bodies! Maybe 2 years!

Andria

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I know all about the shopping cart thing. My fiance's dad prefers to use them.... when they have one that woks. I get so pissed seeng young kids riding around on those. One time I saw this girl about 16ish riding around on one. I wasn't going to judge, just in case, but she'd go up to the shelves and pop her perky self right up and grab stuff and run down the aisle to grab something else. Pisses me off.

I have been tempted to use them more than once when my knee acts up. A year and a half doing three jobs in one shift at a grocery store will do that to ya, specially when they make you work at the register with no cushioned mat behind the register. :( Seriously when you are built like I am, carrying any excess weight in you hips and thighs... it takes a toll on the knee you use most to hold your weight when lifting those 50 lb bags of dog/cat food, 24pks of cola and the big boxes of beer. Yes we unloaded the buggies, scanned the large items on the scanner (we weren't cool like walmart and had the guns), bagged the groceries and replaced them in a new buggy. I did the cashier job, the bag boy job and half the time had to close down my register and help the cute little old ladies to their cars because the bag boys were behind the store drinking on the clock.... No wonder my knee sucks. :bomb:

Yet I find myself never using the carts because I see older people waiting for one all the time.... NOT FUCKING COOL!

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bluetooth headsets. When people talk loud on them, I'll talk back because they're looking at me and talking, but then realize they weren't talking to me at all. Then that wonderful warm awkward embarrassment flows through the body. A lady tonight at Whole Foods did that. I was trying to figure out how the hell she knew I knew Jennifer and why she was late to her soccer game. The hell is she doing playing soccer, she owes me money!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bluetooth headsets. When people talk loud on them, I'll talk back because they're looking at me and talking, but then realize they weren't talking to me at all. Then that wonderful warm awkward embarrassment flows through the body. A lady tonight at Whole Foods did that. I was trying to figure out how the hell she knew I knew Jennifer and why she was late to her soccer game. The hell is she doing playing soccer, she owes me money!

It's gotten so bad, you can't tell anymore if the person is just crazy and talking to themselves, or talking on their bluetooth. I treat them the same. :facepalm:

Andria

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

th

God why did you have to remind me. This is not a pet peeve of mine this is an absolute hatred of mine. My grandmother uses them so she can shop, without them she cant walk the store. So many times they are not kept up or charged and she runs out of battery in the middle of the store and has to ask for assistance. Once i was walking out of a store, i saw a group of teenaged girls and one jumped on one. They were all laughing, all i had to do was look at the girl in the scooter with apparently a pissed off expression on my face and she hopped off immediately. Another time my grandma told me she pulled into a handicap spot and got out (shes 83, walks like a penguin because of 2 knee replacement and needs another one redone).Some guy in a truck pulls up and yells at her that those spots are for handicap people (she keeps her hangtag on the sun visor). If i had one wish id like to say i would cure cancer, but most likely it'd be to go back in time and put that guys teeth in the back of his throat.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Reading posts like this:

5 years vaping, I'm still trying to figure out wth vaper's tongue is.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
5 years vaping, I'm still trying to figure out wth vaper's tongue is.
I've only had a mild case a few times. If I vape certain flavors for a whole day, I'll stop tasting it. I switch flavors, and the next day I can taste it again. It never sent me into full-on panty-pissin mode. Smoking was infinitely worse.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've only had a mild case a few times. If I vape certain flavors for a whole day, I'll stop tasting it. I switch flavors, and the next day I can taste it again. It never sent me into full-on panty-pissin mode. Smoking was infinitely worse.

I've had it a few times, but I think it has a lot more to do with recovering from smoking, than with vaping -- some days, everything just tastes ODD... some days, everything smells weird, or it's like I have a weird smell in my nose. It's always over, by the next day; I think it's just part of the gustatory and olfactory senses trying to come back to something approaching normal, after years of being abused. I can't tolerate italian sausage anymore, though I used to love it, and though everything else seems to taste twice as good as it used to. :D

Andria

PS: It did take almost 2 yrs after quitting smoking, for my sense of taste to start returning full-blast, though my sense of smell began sharpening when I was down to 5 or less cigarettes a day.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Oh ok. Yeah, I haven't vaped 1 flavor for 1 whole day for a long time, possibly years. I always have 5-6 rotated mechs with different juice in each RDA, mixes stuff up for me. But in actuality; vapers tongue > smokers tongue :blech: :teehee:

VU Sponsors