Become a Patron!

RANDOM THOUGHTS FTW

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Afternoon folks...a bit warm here. High is supposed to be 92F. It's 86F out now, abut 30% humidity.

So, made up some EZ pour-over coffee to do up a nice iced coffee. It is simple and gives a rich, yet smooth and nuanced flavor. :)

Ground up a 50/50 blend of Columbian Supremo and French Roast beans fine, then hit it with 1000ml of nearly boiling water and let it steep covered until cooled, stirring after about 4 minutes. Then, poured through an old strainer layered with a damp coffee filter into a container large enough to hold it while giving the strainer some room too.

1jrsNlIl.jpg

Added some raw cane sugar to taste and poured into a glass full of ice cubes.
Results: delicious Black Gold...on ice. :D

DK1woiNl.jpg

Mmmmmm ....
smileys-coffee-124728.gif

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL columbian and french roast... must live in the "central time zone" cant get actual coffee in the midwest without paying an arm and leg for it..... however might i suggest a "french" press and just used boiling water with what the local store has. Ive also had OK resultes from some of the whole beans offered and grind in a stainless coffee mill usually frozen (grinder not the beans) to keep the beans from heating during the grinding process. If your going to drink 10 cups a day then use a papper filter 1-2 cups enjoy the oils, that's where the flavor is.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LOL columbian and french roast... must live in the "central time zone" cant get actual coffee in the midwest without paying an arm and leg for it..... however might i suggest a "french" press and just used boiling water with what the local store has. Ive also had OK resultes from some of the whole beans offered and grind in a stainless coffee mill usually frozen (grinder not the beans) to keep the beans from heating during the grinding process. If your going to drink 10 cups a day then use a papper filter 1-2 cups enjoy the oils, that's where the flavor is.

PNW here. We p0wn the coffee. ;)

Oh, I know...I do various kinds; drip, espresso and stuff like this and have for about 35 years.
The point of the darker French roast mixed with the Columbian is so I get a nice and balanced, yet full and rich, flavor suitable for Ice.

I grind just before I need it, air is the enemy...oxidation is bad and creates bitter coffee.

Coffee steeping should never use boiling water, it's too hot and those volatile oils will go bye-bye. This method keeps the flavor and the slower brewing time gives a fantastic depth to the flavor...like a French press. I just don't feel like shelling out $30-80 for one when I can just use what I have lying around. ;-)

Using a paper filter is optional, and yeah, it will keep some of those oils behind. I do have fine mesh filters too, I just prefer it this way.

Here, read this: http://coffee.wikia.com/wiki/Pour-Over_Filtration_Brewing

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes I enjoy my coffee but in the states the only time I find a decent cup is on either coast. I do boil my water tho.. turn it off generally wait a minute and then pour into a $14 french press. I did however find a stove top percolator and darn if that doesn't make a rich cup of coffee even with cheep coffee, downside it takes a good half hour or longer.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Random tmi
I can't get the saddle on an old mosler round door vault to stop binding. Reworked everything, removed the detent, spent the whole dawn day cussing (quietly).

Obsolete

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My phone is a prude and refuses to curse.

Funk shot crappie he'll cocktail sacking pushy assume butch mother fuller
....but you are missing out... some days are just curse words kinda days.. I don't have much of a potty mouth but you are really deprived.. Your phone is an asshole...

Reactions: Ace

Jay9055

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
....but you are missing out... some days are just curse words kinda days.. I don't have much of a potty mouth but you are really deprived.. Your phone is an asshole...

My phone likes to be prudish too but I can force it to bend to my will.

Kang

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Afternoon folks...a bit warm here. High is supposed to be 92F. It's 86F out now, abut 30% humidity.

So, made up some EZ pour-over coffee to do up a nice iced coffee. It is simple and gives a rich, yet smooth and nuanced flavor. :)

Ground up a 50/50 blend of Columbian Supremo and French Roast beans fine, then hit it with 1000ml of nearly boiling water and let it steep covered until cooled, stirring after about 4 minutes. Then, poured through an old strainer layered with a damp coffee filter into a container large enough to hold it while giving the strainer some room too.

1jrsNlIl.jpg

Added some raw cane sugar to taste and poured into a glass full of ice cubes.
Results: delicious Black Gold...on ice. :D

DK1woiNl.jpg

Mmmmmm ....
smileys-coffee-124728.gif

Sounds like we're in the same area… The humidity in NY is kicking my ASS right now.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
...If you have a donkey and I have a rooster and your donkey eats my roosters feet, what do you have?

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Didn't want to hijack the thread this was in but couldn't let it go completelyScreenshot_2014-07-02-19-36-01-1.pngTHATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!

Obsolete

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nope nope nope.... Jay thats too much for me. I just wanted to know about June bugs. :(

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
10455173_10204102897436674_7674178783426026016_n.jpg
This is the current random thought 4 oz total of C110 copper and C510 Bronze - 2 oz of each..and a US quarter for size comparison. This is what I'm up to tonight.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Presently it looks like a pile of preopened rings. So I haven't actually accomplished anything yet. I just finished dinner, I'm about to get back to the piles and see if I can make it look like something useful.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Presently it looks like a pile of preopened rings. So I haven't actually accomplished anything yet. I just finished dinner, I'm about to get back to the piles and see if I can make it look like something useful.
Haven't thought about mail in a long time. Now you're gonna make me go looking for the bag of rings... shit I moved twice since I touched them

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's wrong with a kilt? I own a kilt. So... I disturb you? Huh? DO I?!?!??:p
LOL up on a stage signing a song about training a pet or killing it and stuffing it yeah Disturbing lol but it's late and Im tired so it qualifies for entertainment

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LOL up on a stage signing a song about training a pet or killing it and stuffing it yeah Disturbing lol but it's late and Im tired so it qualifies for entertainment
You sort of have to know Moonwulf to understand Moonwulf. He's well known if you have friends in the SCA (Society for Creative anachronism).

Sneak peek at what ur workin on?
It got darker in here, and I'm out of batteries for my miner's lamp so I got about 1/2"x 1" done before a cat helped & rings close in color got mixed up. I'll post pics later.

VU Sponsors