Become a Patron!

Responsibility.......

allby

VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Yes Yes Yes I hate when i see someone with a honest question and all you see is trolls saying boil your battery's some some other crap. Just my 2 cents now troll away. Not you CB but you know what i mean?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Yes. If you some clown telling a newbie to build a .125 ohm coil on a KTS Storm and it's OK to use the gray ICR18650 that came with it then it is our responsibility to do something about it.
From reporting the clown to sending the newbie to the correct information.
I will be looking out for this type of thing and all other mods and admins should be too.
Good point CB. :)

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes but gently. So long as it doesn't become an obsession. Else people will be afraid to post for fear of being jumped on if a moderator is notorious for correcting people - notorious being the operative word. Depends what level it is of incorrectness (is that a word?). You have to let nature find it's own way sometimes and just let it go because there will always be someone who eventually comes along to straighten out the facts.

Vape_geek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I totally agree

A big problem i have been seeing lately is lots of guys build and sell unregulated box mods with dual 18650 batteries capable of pushing out 50 to 60 amps depending on batteries and running a 3amp rated momentary switch:eek:

This scares the crap out of me as when surpassing the switch maximum rating 20 fold one of the common failures you will experience is the switch getting stuck permanently in the on position. Not a fun situation to be especially with a wooden mod.

-Vape_geek

Soulkarve

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've seen lots of questionable comments in other forums and even received some. I don't think most people are doing it maliciously though. I think more often than not those bad comments are coming from people who are improperly educated themselves and just trying to be helpful OR they just don't read the post and through a comment out without being conscious of what they are saying. Either way, it's not a bad thing to be corrected, but the manner with which the correction is made should be considered as closely as making a recommendation to a new vaper.

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
How about we start by letting people go through the same transgressions that we ALL did. Nobody should start Vaping with an RBA. If we could quit with cartos, n00bs should certainly be able to use a simple bottom coil clearo on an ego!

One of the worst things for the future of Vaping is people who DON'T EVEN SMOKE that get into subohm in for cloud chasing!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VT Andrew I have to say that the idea that people who don't smoke shouldn't vape is complete tosh

Shouldn't we as experienced vapers try to protect the less knowledgeable when we can?
Don't we have a responsibility to weed out those who do vaping harm?

Tell me you views.
C.B.
Agree totally. Harm can be done to new vapers without people to support them. All the boil it & ridicule for being unaware of the ins & outs is something that can make a new vaper go right back to the crap.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha but I hear that message Andrew, maybe you, maybe not - but it's one that says non smokers shouldn't vape. I heard CASSA themselves say they don't endorse it.

And the reason why vapers don't want non smokers to vape is for "minimal damage" when it comes to FDA and EU ruling. So, is it irresponsible to share and help non smokers vape with vaping tips? I say an emphatic no, it's not. Or are we the legislators now?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
It depends and really it could go either way.

1) If you are a never smoker and you would have started smoking if it weren't for vaping? = public health plus

2) if you were a past smoker who quit years ago and you start vaping? - at least you didn't go back to smoking = public health plus

3) You are a never smoker who thinks cloud chasing is cool, all your friends are doing it and you want to fit in?

If you replace "cloud chasing" with "smoking" then that IS the reason I started smoking.

Of course when I started smoking in 1990/91 they sure as hell didn't have a 0-nic option or I would have took it.
Fortunately Vaping DOES have a zero nic option.

If you are a Never Smoker who is vaping to be 'cool' or you're just trying to follow a fad or something then you have to be a total idiot to NOT take the zero nic option!

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
3) You are a never smoker who thinks cloud chasing is cool, all your friends are doing it and you want to fit in?

If you replace "cloud chasing" with "smoking" then that IS the reason I started smoking.

Of course when I started smoking in 1990/91 they sure as hell didn't have a 0-nic option or I would have took it.
Fortunately Vaping DOES have a zero nic option.

If you are a Never Smoker who is vaping to be 'cool' or you're just trying to follow a fad or something then you have to be a total idiot to NOT take the zero nic option!

THE ONLY flaw in this logic is that these people don't even understand how Vaping works, and they're going STRAIGHT to a dangerous method of Vaping. It's not like they had extra dangerous cigarettes that could explode, and if they did you certainly wouldn't START on those. Non smokers should be allowed to Vape, but if a Vape shop is setting ANY new vaper up with an RBA starter kit, I'd say that's irresponsible.

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
Also, I tend to believe that if the first cigarette I ever smoked didn't have nicotine, I likely NEVER would have sparked up the 2nd one. You get high from nicotine, and once you don't, you're hooked...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I agree, and even worse those fly by night head shop/ smoke shop/ vape shops don't know anything about vaping besides the 900% markup they are charging.
I learned how to build after a LOT of online research, trial and error with regular (1.8-3.0) ohm coils, and hours of YouTube vids

I personally suggest the itaste vv 3.0 kit to new vapers.
The ones on my friends list in facebook who are non vapers who live up north.
95% of my friends smoked so I do get questions all the time.
If they tried an njoy or blu and it isn't cutting it then the itaste is perfect.
The smallest variable wattage device (that I trust) on the market.
I have one in my glove box as a backup, just gave the other to my girlfriends Dad who is a dual user for now but i am working on crossing him over.
My Girl uses tanks only and has an itaste vv 3.0, Vamo V3, The innokin "grenade" cool fire 2, and a varivolt. All with PT2's & mini PT2's.
I even use a tank system when i go out. I just got a Tobeco DNA30 mod and I stick a protank 2 with an areotank base on it when I go out.
There is no reason to have a leaking dripper and bottle of juice in my left pocket and an extra battery in my right if im going out to eat or to the mall!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Also, I tend to believe that if the first cigarette I ever smoked didn't have nicotine, I likely NEVER would have sparked up the 2nd one. You get high from nicotine, and once you don't, you're hooked...

That is absolutely correct that is why zero nic is key to getting the 'cloud chasing fad' people to move on when the next 'cool' thing comes along.
No one in their right mind should be purposely trying to get a non smoker hooked on nicotine.
If someone owns a shop and that is the way they are doing it then they are doing the whole community a disservice.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
VT Andrew I have to say that the idea that people who don't smoke shouldn't vape is complete tosh
Yep because I work at a vape shop, never smoked, I picked up vaping for flavor, because I could kill cravings for the foods I really don't need to eat. And when I take my vape with me before grocery shopping I do buy healthier food.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've tried my ex-smoker roommate's nic included juice, nothing about the feeling it gives in any way made me want to keep hitting the nic'd juice. I'm pretty sure with the # of people who have been able to successfully wean themselves down from say 18-24mg to 0-6mg is a pretty strong indication that the nic itself isn't the only addictive chemical in analogs, because if that were true you'd have a lot fewer success stories. Nic to me hurts just as much now as trying that one smoke I tried growing up. Vapor doesn't hurt, it hurts less for me because its nic free. I'm the guinea pig among friends "Does this have nic in it?" Here, let me try it & tell you. If I cough my head off, the answer is yes. I know its not the pg giving throat hit either, because I vape at high pg because it makes my asthma less bitchy & prone to flare ups.

VTAndrew - wasn't trying to imply, just was giving my example, my apologies.

I grew up with both parents smoking while mom was pregnant with me, dad quit cold turkey when I was 9, mom still smokes to this day, but she has a starter kit she's waiting to play with - tis complicated with her health right now.

As for the OP - yes we need to educate, and I do agree, carefully as some take offense easily, but obvious trolling needs to stop, because as more people quit smoking or just take up vaping you're going to get the same questions over & over - not everyone is going to come to vaping with the right mindset, or even barest of knowledge, a few might, but most come to vaping, utterly clueless, which isn't a bad thing, if we (community as a whole) gives them the right info, they'll be more likely to be successful in quitting and they'll be better off for the educational info given to them.

REPETE OFF3ND3R

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ultimately, as experienced vapers, it's our duty and service to our community to guide others in safe ways and methods of vaping. Whether it be the first timers or otherwise. For every one person we help keep safe and healthy, that's one more person in our corner in our fight against the fda and others with their regulations. I understand the non smoker cloud chaser bit, but they'll just push on anyway without our help and knowledge and possibly get hurt or hurt someone else. And that's publicity we just simply can't have

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think we should help all new vapers cause hey we were all new once. You try to learn as much as you can then you try to augment your knowledge base with first hand accounts. Though with trolls it's bound to happen it's not something I personally like but it is gonna happen when you have the ability to hide who you are online most people feel that they should take their frustrations out on others. Even in the beginning with irc and bbs you had those who felt the need to be as obnoxious as they could, but I learned to over the years ignore the trolls because no reaction they have no thrill. I do have to say though I feel that if an honest question is posed that an honest answer should be given with or without the trolls jumping in. Just ignore the trolls and they will get bored. Happy Vaping all.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
quick and simple answer.. YES WE DO!!!

Yes it is our duty to help those that ask, be it a cig a like up to a monster wattage modder.
I just started last Dec and have slowly moved up from Blu, to bull smoke to 808D1s to 510s to egos then Spinners to now my magneto and Cool fire. If I had not been given good sound advice i would have never made it. I see alot of BS answers given in various forums and such that only makes it harder for people to keep going or worse go back to smoking. The biggest thing is seeing people put down other for not having the greatest or best thing out there. We have to let people move at their own speed and what they can affort or be able to handle. I am learning how to rebuild coils right now and thankfully I know the BS from the good answers to my questions. No, I don't want to sub ohm, I want a simple single coil at this time. One day maybe I will but not now. But people still try to get me to go in that direction. We need to support not try to make people move faster than they want to.

Ok sorry for the rambling. I think my point and everyone elses has been made.

The answer is yes.....

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm pretty sure with the # of people who have been able to successfully wean themselves down from say 18-24mg to 0-6mg is a pretty strong indication that the nic itself isn't the only addictive chemical in analogs, ...

You bet it's not the only additive. I watched a film Sunday night called The Insider with Al Pacinco and Russell Crowe about the Big Tobacco industry mixing tobacco from a range of over 2000 chemicals to get people addicted and buying their product.

As for nicotine, I began vaping at 36mg. Now I'm down to such a low level it's just a pinch to give it a kick or throat hit. I'm not addicted anymore. Sometimes I realise I haven't vaped all day or night or hadn't vaped since I got up.

But I would warn non smokers about using nicotine when mixing for themselves. My bestie who vapes but never smoked was knocked out and spent the rest of the day in bed when she had a large dose. To her it was a large dose because her metabolism wasn't used to it.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The biggest issue I have seen, and this is especially true on FB groups, is when someone new to vaping is looking for suggestions they get "buy (insert mech mod) or get a dripper, blah blah blah. Even experienced people run into issues with mechs and rebuildables. What is gonna happen when someone with zero experience in vaping or anything electrical puts a mech mod in their hand?? Potentially a ticking pipe bomb.

I ALWAYS encourage people to start out small and take baby steps. Some people heed my advice. Some people are more worried what others will think. They don't think it is cool to be vaping on a cigalike. I have seen many people start with VV eGo batteries that can't completely give up cigs. The reason, IMHO, is they did nothing to replace the smoking habit. For me that is what did it. I used a cigalike to mimic my smoking habits and routines. Then I slowly started changing my routines. Didn't vape when I first got up or right after a meal. Didn't go outside to vape. Etc.... After the routines and habits were broken it was easy from there on out. That is when I started upgrading to bigger and better things.

I think it is our responsibility as veteran vapers to start people on the right path and help keep them going in that direction.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This is horrible that I'm saying this but I 'lucked out' when I was stuck in the hospital for 2 weeks getting my 2nd hip replacement which was infected removed.
I was using the patch and really had no choice because I was bedridden and going to be that way for 2 weeks after i got home too.
I went online about the 5th day while in the hospital. My starter kit was at my house waitng for me when I got home. :)

MistaKuraudo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wish we could weed out all of those who do vaping harm. I remember hearing about a B&M selling mods and juice to minors because "technically there isn't a law against it". Fuck those guys. I can't stand people that can't uphold any sort of morality the moment money is thrown in their face.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
someone new to vaping is looking for suggestions they get "buy (insert mech mod) or get a dripper
TL;DR - stop pushing people to advanced rebuildables the first time they walk into a vape shop or ask about vaping.

Exactly this. Facebook groups and many B&M stores needs to stop this nonsense. Sending someone home (or out on the internet) with a mech dripping subohm setup is not responsible at all and needs to stop. This stuff is (relatively) safe within its expected operating range, but when you don't have a clue why things are working, you also don't have any idea why or how things will fail.

Just the other night I spent 30 minutes on a thread on Facebook with someone who got sent home with a "I dunno resistance" RDA and a tube that was getting hot when fired. Here's where the problems led and they were 2 fold.

1) The B&M should have in no way sent him home with that setup. At the very least they need to check the coils and explain the workings of it. Ensured that he had the proper tools and items. Sure, they aren't his babysitter but there is a inherent responsibility when you set up a new user. Especially on a advanced set up. This guy had no way to check resistance or voltage. He was just told when it tastes bad, add more. Unacceptable.

Now the worst part.

2) Most of the responses to this guy were either "throw it out", "you're an idiot", or "just rebuild it". I explained as best I can in a brief post the basic workings, what the issues may be, and that he should not touch the device until he brings it back to the store. Where he should then ask for a full tutorial of things I had mentioned or exchange it for a prebuilt tank setup to get started. Even people who have been around for a long while, myself included (been vaping since 08/09) learn something new just about every day. The community as a whole needs to stop being so "elitist" and toxic. It's certainly not everyone, and in general the vaping community is awesome. However sometimes when you give someone a keyboard or a cash register things become warped to the point of becoming dangerous.

Sorry for the rant but this one hit a bit of a nerve. /rant off.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know Totally Wicked have terribly high prices but to their credit they do actually do all that - ie. spend time with the customer giving then a full tutorial and explaining how everything works - both in the shop and on their website. Buying from their b&m was one of my first experiences

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's a shops obligation to educate the consumer. If they don't educate the consumer, they are doing all of us an injustice.
I as a experienced vaper will help the newbie. And try to educate them on proper battery safety and safe builds.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cigarbabe said weed out. Trouble is when you uproot weeds they grow legs and turn into trolls. Perhaps a new approach is needed

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I know Totally Wicked have terribly high prices but to their credit they do actually do all that - ie. spend time with the customer giving then a full tutorial and explaining how everything works - both in the shop and on their website. Buying from their b&m was one of my first experiences
Buying from Totally Wicked was my first vaping experience! I bought my first starter kit from them in August 2012.
I still use their Titan Series non-tobacco menthol juice all the time :)

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey me too and about the same time ..and I got menthol. I used to like it there as they had a really comfy sofa and you could just go in and chill n vape and ask away!

Nu2Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Another perspective to keep in mind is that the media is ready and willing to jump on ANY story that relates to vaping gone wrong. Just recently a new vaper at my work site came to me and mentioned that he saw a story on TV about batteries blowing up and that vaping was dangerous. I had to sit him down and explain HOW batteries could get to the situation that they would blow and remind him that there are people that DON'T know what they are doing and going straight to the sub-ohm realm without an inkling of education. These folks cause reports to surface that the media generalizes as "common" in the vaping world.

In another situation, the person that introduced me to vaping (using the vamo v5 and aspire nautilus tank) got his first dripping atty and mech mod. While we were outside he mentioned that his 18650 battery was getting really hot. Since I am a person that will thoroughly educate myself before taking a step in a new direction, I asked him if he changed batteries to hi drain. He mentioned that he was using the same batteries that were low amp, low drain. I warned him, then sent him to a site for sub-ohm vaping supplies where he got the correct batteries. FYI...his atty's coils he built were 0.24 ohms. A possible bad ending averted. Go out and get as much information and education as you can before heading on a new direction with vaping. Include health studies and "unbiased" reporting to learn about. Glean from our moderators and old-timers their wisdom and experience. In a short time, you will become knowledgeable in the vaping realm and become an ambassador in kind.

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
How about when my mech mod was super heating last week with a protank (stock coil) that I had used without issue for almost 2 weeks.

If a user doesn't understand what to check when things are going wrong, they don't even have to be subohm or rebuilding AT ALL and it can still be dangerous. Mechs are for ADVANCED USERS ONLY!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
Thank god I was smart enough to throw it on the Hana, and when it shorted that I knew that it was the coil. Swapped the head and put it right back on the congestus, issue resolved...

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
I'm honestly shocked there hasn't been more reported incidents with batteries. The sad thing is the media is foaming at mouth for a negative story. They would jump all over a battery leak causing a car crash or something like that.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
^ this guy ^ and I just profile creeped. You're 12 days older than me...

Old man.

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm honestly shocked there hasn't been more reported incidents with batteries. The sad thing is the media is foaming at mouth for a negative story. They would jump all over a battery leak causing a car crash or something like that.

Yep .. there was a guy near our town that plugged his into the computer to charge it, and WENT TO BED
Sure enough it vented and set some pillows near it on fire
Made the 5 o'clock news, and gave vaping a bad name.
You can't fix stupid :(

VapingCuban

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your absolutely right cb! Sometimes a joke can lead to harm. I've seen it on fb many times where a nub asks a question and they tell them to boil they're batteries. Really? Common now that should not be tolerated at all

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There was one incident in the uk where a guy had his little ego on charge behind a bar and it blew and flared. And the media covered it for weeks. They even made whole program's dedicated to it. Sadly nowhere in any of the reports did they discover the cause - whether he'd bought a cheap china knockoff, used a bad generic USB plug, whether he'd mistreated the battery, if he'd kept the atty on there and if so what condition it was, if he'd left the ego on and the button was pressing against something. All the reports were bias.

I don't think this is due to people thinking vaping is like smoking and bad for you. I just think it's down to fear of the unknown, fear of electrical devices and their dangerous potential. People are like sheep and hysteria spreads like wildfire.

VT Andrew

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
Do you know how many cellphones explode every year? It's all a smear, but this is why if you EVER have an issue with an ecigarette, unless it damn near kills you, YOU SHOULD NEVER TELL DOCTORS OR THE MEDIA THAT IT WAS CAUSED BY AN ECIG. I hate lying, but I'll make and exception for this situation...

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How about when my mech mod was super heating last week with a protank (stock coil) that I had used without issue for almost 2 weeks.

If a user doesn't understand what to check when things are going wrong, they don't even have to be subohm or rebuilding AT ALL and it can still be dangerous. Mechs are for ADVANCED USERS ONLY!!!

You are absol
drew, post: 6012, member: 70"]How about when my mech mod was super heating last week with a protank (stock coil) that I had used without issue for almost 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
You are absolutely correct. With all of the advancements that have occurred over the years , we need to show people new to vaping the safetey features in regulated mods. They are put in for a reason. Adjusting volts and watts is fine but they also have amp limits ,short circuit protection,battery drain limits etc...I always tell people its about finding a satisfying Vape that curbs the urge . Also we have a responsibility ,Especially now, to show the public and law makers that this is truly a safer alternative. Cloud chasing is not the norm.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you know how many cellphones explode every year? It's all a smear, but this is why if you EVER have an issue with an ecigarette, unless it damn near kills you, YOU SHOULD NEVER TELL DOCTORS OR THE MEDIA THAT IT WAS CAUSED BY AN ECIG. I hate lying, but I'll make and exception for this situation...

I know right. There was this 30min program all about dodgy USB plugs and they started the program by using it with an ecig, let it explode and concluded "and this is why you shouldn't use electronic cigarettes."

VU Sponsors