Become a Patron!

Smok Xpro M80 Plus (with temp control)

Just bought one of these from Vapor DNA. It's supposed to be able to do temp control and I got it for 49.99 with a coupon code. If you guys are down to Guinea pig this with me I'll pass on the code. The only draw back is they only have it in black. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just bought one of these from Vapor DNA. It's supposed to be able to do temp control and I got it for 49.99 with a coupon code. If you guys are down to Guinea pig this with me I'll pass on the code. The only draw back is they only have it in black. Let me know.

I'm anxiously awaiting your impressions. If it took an 18650, I'd probably already have joined the Guinea Pig club. Such a good deal, especially with the $10 off coupon that's all over the place. Keep us updated, and congrats!

Also, did you get any Nickel wire? The temp control has me intrigued, I'd love to know how it is on this mod.

spdy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just missed this code! Bought one an hour ago for $54 while waiting for my VF3 to leave China.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
No I'll order some tonight. And the code is VTRz7Zws5k

Right on. Thanks, I actually have a couple codes from others using my referral link they give you. I bought a couple attys and they gave me a code to share for $10 off, and each use I get a code for myself. I used a $10 code, too, lol.

Do we know what chip is in this? I'm guessing it's a Smok made chip of their own? I'm gonna have to look into that. I'm curious about the mech mode, too, though I'd have no use for it.

Yeah it's a smok made one, and the mech mod is the same as my Xpro 50m it's unregulated dc to dc wattage is based of battery life and ohm resistance.

Last edited:

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went back and forth on buying one all day since i am in the market for a second carry around box, but ultimately decided to wait until after the first round of guinea pig reviews come in.

Having previously owned a Vaporshark i walked away from that feeling the whole TC concept was pretty overhyped. Unless i'm simply a lot better at making kanthal coils then i think i am (which i highly doubt), because the whole burnt hits thing never played out to be a noteworthy issue with me. Well, unless we are talking drippers and i let one go empty...but even then i use Rayon so it's an oops moment and generally no harm no foul given the durability bonus over cotton.

That's $200 overhyped though. For $50-55 and 80w/4000mah that's a pretty good sell to buy back in though. Hope it turns out to be a winner.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
...and the first in hand review i see go up on youtube shows the TC as being mostly junk. 5 second delay before it even starts firing out the vapor. Glad i held out :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFvICa8ewSs

(starts showing the TC at 13min in)

I saw that review as well 'before' ordering me one last night, lol. I don't care about the TC aspect. It was $55 plus shipping from MVS. They still have the gold one in stock. That's cheap for an 'authentic' mod that goes up to 80 watts that includes a built in 4400mah LiPo battery setup AND can take builds down to .1ohm. And it is pretty damn small for a dual 18650 battery box. I will just carry my Cana mini 30 V3 as a backup if need be(it's the same size as a dual 18650 battery holder!), lol.

Last edited:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I saw that review as well 'before' ordering me one last night, lol. I don't care about the TC aspect. It was $55 plus shipping from MVS. They still have the gold one in stock. That's cheap for an 'authentic' mod that goes up to 80 watts that includes a built in 4400mah LiPo battery setup AND can take builds down to .1ohm. And it is pretty damn small for a dual 18650 battery box. I will just carry my Cana mini 30 V3 as a backup if need be(it's the same size as a dual 18650 battery holder!), lol.
If TC doesn't matter, and neither does built in batteries, the thing is a steal. I still need to watch the video to see what's up with the TC issues.

I had just started to get interest in TC, and this caught my eye. I really like the iPV Mini 2. The more I've researched TC, it seems like technology that needs to mature. Even the Evolv boards are troubling some, so maybe waiting a bit is in order if TC is my criteria.

I'm anxiously awaiting reviews from VU people. It's a damn nice looking box no matter what.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If TC doesn't matter, and neither does built in batteries, the thing is a steal. I still need to watch the video to see what's up with the TC issues.

I had just started to get interest in TC, and this caught my eye. I really like the iPV Mini 2. The more I've researched TC, it seems like technology that needs to mature. Even the Evolv boards are troubling some, so maybe waiting a bit is in order if TC is my criteria.

I'm anxiously awaiting reviews from VU people. It's a damn nice looking box no matter what.

Funny you said that. It was a toss bettwen this or the IPV Mini 2. I found where there was still a few of those in stock as well still. I went for the M80 because it was a bit cheaper and had more power. I don't have a regulated mod any higher than my Cana 30w mod. And i'm a cheap ass, lol. No seriously though, I was about to get the SXmini and then found out they are coming out with a newer version with TC. This mod will hold me over till that comes out and gets thoroughly reviewed. So i have a lil while, lol. Cheers!

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If TC doesn't matter, and neither does built in batteries, the thing is a steal.

That's thing with me on this though. I would of been conceding my preference for removeable batteries for the TC :)

I mean if i was going to go that route, i'd just buy an istick 50w. Then again i never vape over 40w.

spdy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I emailed Smok about the TC problems...

Will there be a firmware update to repair the temperature control ramp-up time. If so-when can we expect it?

9:03pm
Shenzhen SMOK Technology.,Co Ltd
yes , about March 5th , pls follow www.smoktech.com

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ehh, color me very skeptical you'll actually see that firmware update, and not in yet another box they want you to buy after the fact.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just got mine in today...
cHmwTqM.jpg

JA5ecla.jpg

zq2fsfB.jpg

As you can see, it is the same width as my Dimitry but smaller in every other aspect. And lighter. It is thinner than my Cana mini. There is no wake up delay and the ramp up time with my CLT 2 with dual parallel coils is pretty much instant. On the Dimitry it takes a second or so to ramp up with this coil build. It reads .28ohms. And that is accurate. So far i am loving this thing. I turned it up to 80watts and the wicking could not keep up with this particular build i noticed. The coils are 3mm in diameter wicked with cotton. This is definitely going to be my new daily driver for a while, so i will be putting it through it's paces. I don't have any nickel wire to test the TC, but we all already have an idea how it works anyway for the most part. It came in with a fully charged battery, so that was nice.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am vaping it at 50watts BTW. Seems to be my sweet spot for this build. That is actually around the wattage it would be pulling on my mech with this build. So as you can see, it has some buck to it. Nice for us cloud chasers out there, lol.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, so i put my .11 ohm build on it and it's reading it at .2ohms. My ohm meter is reading my CLT at .2ohms. So it is actually off by .1ohm. I know my ohm meter is accurate because i checked the .11 ohm build on a coil calculator and a friend of mine has the exact same build that is reading around the same(.09) on his own ohm meter. It is dual 22g 5 warps that is wrapped around a 3mm rod.

The thing is, when you get this low in ohm, the accuracy is very difficult to achieve without an inline ohm meter. I do have one but have not attempted to read the ohms with that. The point i am trying to make, is that it would be very difficult to get a good accurate reading below .2ohm on the device itself. I would be interested in seeing exactly how accurate the higher end chips are, like the SXmini chip.

Last edited:

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, my volt meter is trashed right now, lol. One of the wires were chewed up by a dog so i will have to find my new set somewhere in a box. It my be a while, lol

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So i put my .52ohm Orchid build on it and it is reading it at .54ohms.

Tom_Pulliam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It looks good just waiting to see if the TC feature is as bad as the video said it was before I decide whether or not to get one myself.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I emailed Smok about the TC problems...

Will there be a firmware update to repair the temperature control ramp-up time. If so-when can we expect it?

9:03pm
Shenzhen SMOK Technology.,Co Ltd
yes , about March 5th , pls follow www.smoktech.com
Well, compared to hoe Elvolv is not responding at all to inquiries regarding problems, an email back is what I consider a good sign. Hope it works it out for ya.

@CloudPusher it looks nice. If TC gets fixed, the irreplaceable battery is the only thing keeping me from one.

bb0y

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been using my m80 plus for a few days, and it is fucking awesome. no hiccups. and no I haven't tried TC no nickel wire. Battery life is amazing..the readout for ohms is accurate. I have tested as low as .28 and high as .55, and have had not one single issue. the buttons are nice, they have a slight rattle that only happens if you shake the device. If you have doubts about the product, look at how well made all the other SMOK products have been. I love mine. For $50 you cannot beat with another device that goes to 80 watts.

-V-

Member For 4 Years
It's not only the ramp up time with the temp mode which is a fail but the whole temp mode is a fail

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I preordered one from VapeNW expecting to move into TC and unload my crunchy buttoned Sig 100+. Cancelled the preorder the second I watched Richard Ng's review video. Seems like a nice unit without the TC, but I'll wait for a few updates to be released and tested before entering the world of temp control. Maybe the v2 will get interchangeability of cells too. Hmph.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And another. skip to 20:00 for the burn test.
Smok had to know this thing doesn't work at all. Typical chinese company

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
From Smoks website, we'll see if it repairs all the probelms.

Firmware Update Notice for SMOK M80 plus
After we sent out the first batch of M80 plus, some of SMOK valued customers are reporting that
the temperature control function is flawed, the coil takes too long to heat up, there is a 5~7 seconds delay
from the time you hit the fire button to the time the coil starts producing vapor.

Regarding this problem, our enginner confirmed that it's a design flaw, we will update the firmware and
upload the new program online in the next couple of weeks, so customer can download and upgrade it
with the given USB cable by themself.

Thanks for Choosing SMOK product. With your precious feedback, we will try our best to optimize the
firmware and provide you a great user experience.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like Mikesully above, I almost bought one too. I'm not going to be the Guinea pig to see if a software update will solve the glaring problems that shouldn't have been there in the first place. Reading that letter, they don't address the fact TC is completely non-functional which is the main problem. I don't trust their word that a software flash will fix anything since they were so dishonest in the first place. To say or even insinuate they didn't know about these problems before releasing it, is a flat out lie.

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have one and have been happy with it, the construction and battery life. That being said I didn't buy it for TC and would be pissed if I did. Like I said above we will see if it fixes all the problems not just the ramp up. It appears the temperature is also wrong after viewing the cotton fires!

Hoping to get my hands on the nickel coil heads for the subtank I'm running on the m80+. I'll do a test before and after the update and let you guys know....Stand by gents! :)

Anson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Firmware Update Notice for SMOK M80 plus
After we sent out the first batch of M80 plus, some of SMOK valued customers are reporting that
the temperature control function is flawed, the coil takes too long to heat up, there is a 5~7 seconds delay
from the time you hit the fire button to the time the coil starts producing vapor.

Regarding this problem, our enginner confirmed that it's a design flaw, we will update the firmware and
upload the new program online in the next couple of weeks, so customer can download and upgrade it
with the given USB cable by themself.

Thanks for Choosing SMOK product. With your precious feedback, we will try our best to optimize the
firmware and provide you a great user experience.

Our engineer confirmed it's a design flaw?
Smok never test anything they manufacture, this device gets all the way into the wild and they know that the temp control isn't working.

Those assholes can't be trusted.

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"Our engineer confirmed it's a design flaw?"
I found that troubling too. I can picture the engineer saying "yup, it doesn't work", but in Chinese. LOL

Vaping Bully

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Too good to be true. If it did work no one would pay for a DNA 40 again unless you're an elitist.

Anson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I stuck a DNA 40 into a Cana box, probably the cheapest way to get temp control - DNA is still a pain in the ass though.

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Tom_Pulliam there's a vid on YouTube of a guy using it. Says it works as it should now. Cancelled my m80 preorder and got in on an ipv4 group buy for damn near the same price. Figured I would take my chances on yihi's TC chip instead, and change my batteries whenever I want. Search YouTube for "smok m80 v5 update"

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have to say I didn't really buy this for the TC. I liked the price for an 80 watt 4000mah mod. The battery life on this thing is amazing, my IPV2 would go through 6 batteries (VTC5's) compared to this thing on one charge.

Tom_Pulliam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well that's positive, however I'm still curious how the TC performs and if they could make it work right

Thanks for posting CloudPusher. Did the upgrade. Nice. Vaped immediately with having to wait for it to warm up. FYI, it is a zip file. You install their NuvoTon software. The youtube video shows that you need to hold down the power button and press the reset button with a paper clip or something similar. I used some wire. Be sure to remove your atty. Keep holding the power button down (hook to pc with usb cable before startding) and click the APROM button on the softerware(left side ). Then you need to find the file, as a window pops up. Be sure to click on the lower right side button near the open button to get the proper ,hex file. When open, then clock start and it does is quickly. Ok, off on my bike to a beer drinking cookout !

Tom_Pulliam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Shucks, looks like they may be getting closer though. Guess we'll just have to wait and see

VapeJohn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

The only thing is it'd do what TVC did but with a cold atty on the cotton test. Post your results... Maybe he did something wrong?

* mazam posted the same video :p *

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only thing is it'd do what TVC did but with a cold atty on the cotton test. Post your results... Maybe he did something wrong?

I actually called my friend (who has one in hand) and told him about the update when i saw it. We sat on the phone together while watching the video, with him doing a quick build to try the dryburn test on his unit. Got the same results.

So unless they both did something wrong, yeah. He still likes his as a normal kanthal device though, fwiw.

Hoekakes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yea temp control doesnt really work on it ... and its not consistent with what it does do in temp control ... 1 puff is weak the next is full force, still an awesome 80 watt mod though

VU Sponsors