Member For 4 Years
Local news had a story that some airlines are banning them on carry on bags

yamooo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What?! We can't carry them in check in luggage either. This is ridiculous.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like they are starting to ban that on some airlines, hang on I'll see if I can find a link to the storys.

Last edited:

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmmm so 26 icidents but this is the first I've heard of it smh

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I read that too, wonder how long it will take for them to ban even that

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That last article says not allowed in checked baggage. Sounds like carryon still ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was just about to say that, says they warn of checked bags and suggest they only be allowed in the cabin since it can be caught faster if a issue arises.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Simple solution for FAA/TSA/airlines:
1. No tanks or RDAs installed (basically if it screws in, unscrew it).

2. If batteries are removable they MUST be removed and stored in a *specially designed* carrying case or in individual closed containers.

This is the simple way to not outright BAN, but REGULATE e-cigs/mods/etc in checked baggage.

There you go. Submit that to the wigs at the airlines. Anybody have any better ideas?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
They have never liked Li-ion batteries in checked luggage for the reasons they listed.

But if they ban them in carry on luggage, we got ourselves a real problem!

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm so 26 icidents but this is the first I've heard of it smh

That NBC news article says that the transportation department's info/source has 26 incidents of fires being started by e-cigarettes that have been "accidentally fired" long enough and to the point of catching fire.

The "incidents" are not specifically implied to have happened even anywhere near an airplane. This tells me that the 26 "incidents" in over 6 years are just the total reported number, not 26 fires on airplanes.

This would also, for the most part, exclude your Egos and regulated mods or other devices that have an 8-12 second firing time limit.

So, my conclusion is that there have been 26 reportable incidents of people having stored their mods (or modded/defective ego-styles) in such a way that they can be inadvertently fired WHILE having a tank/RDA installed. This isn't exactly cause for concern for those of us who take care of our shit, but more so a PSA for the idiots who throw their loaded unregulated mod in their backpack or bag or even between the couch cushions, and then wonder how the place started on fire.

TRAPstar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
"we dont need no water let the mother fucker burn"

this is why i dont fly. i dont like the idea of known mr neckbeard McHipster stuffed his Hammer of the Gods mod in his check in luggage along with his extra fedoras with fully charged Efests (you know, because they chuck) and his el-cheapo FT clone mounted on top with coils big enough to heat the whole cabin...

i DO like the idea of mr hipster neck beard to be able to have it in his carry on. that way WHEN it autofires i can beat him to death with the venting mod before the flight attendant even notices.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"we dont need no water let the mother fucker burn"

this is why i dont fly. i dont like the idea of known mr neckbeard McHipster stuffed his Hammer of the Gods mod in his check in luggage along with his extra fedoras with fully charged Efests (you know, because they chuck) and his el-cheapo FT clone mounted on top with coils big enough to heat the whole cabin...

i DO like the idea of mr hipster neck beard to be able to have it in his carry on. that way WHEN it autofires i can beat him to death with the venting mod before the flight attendant even notices.
Oh, that's Mr. Neckbeard Trustfund McHipster to you!

I can't stand them! They're everywhere around here and I just want to turtleneck throat punch them.

It's another case of ONE dumbass potentially ruining it for millions of people. Like I said before, hopefully the airlines take the high-road and put regulations in place instead of banning e-cigarettes altogether. Other electronics are allowed on planes so if they allow us to show our responsibility, or especially WE do and start disassembling our mods and storing the batteries nicely and neatly (and safely!) the airlines should see no difference between an e-cig and a laptop.

You CAN have li-ion batteries in carry-on; you CAN have electronics in carry-on; and, as long as you don't exceed the limit, you CAN have liquids in carry-on. And if you're mod is broken down as far as it can go (no batteries and no atomizer) and its batteries stored neatly in a nice battery case, regardless of the airline's "e-cigarette ban", you SHOULD be able to have it in your carry-on.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to... fly... with the airlines.

TRAPstar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to... fly... with the airlines.

i see what you did there #punny

did i just use a hashtag on Vu...

excuse me while i go to the PIF section and ask for free rope and a chair to step off of.

BRB

TRAPstar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
if the mod is broken down, and everything is stored in similar containers legally they shouldn't be able to do anything (granted they could say the "intent" of the equipment maker is that it is used as an E cig therefore including it in the ban) basically if you tell them its the power supply unit for my variable speed sex toy that just happens to use a 510 connection...what can they do?

basically what im saying is unless they use the mfg's intent to ban specific equipment they cant completely ban them...granted my sig 100 is meant to be a mod... i could use it for any peripheral device with a 510 connection that operates between 10-100 watts and with an internal resistance no greater than 3.5 (i think thats my sig's limit) it says no where that it is a mod, e cig, or anything like that it just says "100w" and that could be anything from an RDA to well, your wife's "magic phallic simulator/stimulator"

i know common sense says this wont work, that im at the mercy of the TSA but.... people have fought over more stupid things in this world before...

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i see what you did there #punny

did i just use a hashtag on Vu...

excuse me while i go to the PIF section and ask for free rope and a chair to step off of.

BRB
Yeah, I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to hashtags...

When I used to use Instagram I'd tag my pics
#monkeyfuckingagoat
or
#monkeyfuckingafootball

The concept doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's become so prevalent that the new generation (post-millenial) doesn't know that # is a pound sign and call it "hashtag" now, AND they WRITE hashtags on paper and in their graffiti...like people can search your written notes and homework or the garbage you scribbled on a bathroom stall.

Don't even get me started...

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok what you are not taking into account is this

what happens when a moron goes in the bathroom
and the mod explodes and blows a hole in the plane

what happens when mr terrorist disguises his bomb as a mod and blows up the plane

now im not saying we shouldnt be able to fly with mods

but the airlines do need to be sure that we are all safe, so double checking them at security
requiring them to be disassembled , reasonable requirements to travel with them.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All very good points here indeedy, oh....except for the #monkeyfuckingagoat.......That is just wrong:eek::)

TRAPstar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
#monkeyfuckingagoat now trending :cool:

TRAPstar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
im starting to gain followers for my vape posts on instagram... i use hashtags on there...but outside of social media i call a # symbol a pound symbol...kids now grow up and their first memories are of "hashtags, and twerking"...what a shame...

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tumblr_moy2jdgDMG1qlph6wo1_1280_zpsa7f8b402.jpg

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to hashtags...

When I used to use Instagram I'd tag my pics
#monkeyfuckingagoat
or
#monkeyfuckingafootball

The concept doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's become so prevalent that the new generation (post-millenial) doesn't know that # is a pound sign and call it "hashtag" now, AND they WRITE hashtags on paper and in their graffiti...like people can search your written notes and homework or the garbage you scribbled on a bathroom stall.

Don't even get me started...

OMG! Can I please, please like this statement about 1.5 million times! I fucking hate it! Seriously. It's like they have no understanding of wtf a 'hashtag' is used for.

delabs

Member For 4 Years
It is wrong Whiskey. However we can't put the planes up in fire! I bet some dumb ass put the battery inside the ecig, mod not shut down or secured and KABOOM

delabs

Member For 4 Years
That really does limit the ECIG stuff you can take though. This all SUCKS

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is wrong Whiskey. However we can't put the planes up in fire! I bet some dumb ass put the battery inside the ecig, mod not shut down or secured and KABOOM

I have to agree it certainly is a big risk indeed

TRAPstar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly, who DIDN'T see this coming?

raise of hands?

no?

really nobody?

so EVERYBODY saw this coming?

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok what you are not taking into account is this

what happens when a moron goes in the bathroom
and the mod explodes and blows a hole in the plane

what happens when mr terrorist disguises his bomb as a mod and blows up the plane

now im not saying we shouldnt be able to fly with mods

but the airlines do need to be sure that we are all safe, so double checking them at security
requiring them to be disassembled , reasonable requirements to travel with them.
They do go through the X-ray. I'll submit my gear to any non-destructive testing the TSA wants to subject it to.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honestly, who DIDN'T see this coming?

raise of hands?

no?

really nobody?

so EVERYBODY saw this coming?
I can't say that I saw it coming, but then again I've only flown with e-cig whatnot once. At the time, if they would've said they were confiscating my Ego vision and evod and about $3 worth of e-juice I'd have let them with no argument. If they had tried to confiscate my Camel Menthols I would've had a meltdown.

I'd be pissed if I wasn't able to bring my gear with now, though. I'd be like "you let those people bring cartons of cigarettes on the plane, but I can't bring my mod and stuff?".

I think a lot of it has to do with the airlines not being hip to what's actually going on. Something bad happens because someone does something stupid, then it gets wrecked for everyone.

Boo for stupid people that ruin things for everyone else.

TRAPstar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I saw it coming even before i vaped.

once something new and good comes out, and uncle sam or is corporate thugs dont have their hand in the cookie jar things tend to get banned...

begs to mention, ECF seems to operate under US government guidelines :p

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think that set rules should be applied but not banning them

The batterys must be taken out (if you can)

Must be turned off if not able to be taken out

Treat it like a laptop have people take them out of bag and put in tray

Maybe limit it to two mods and two tanks

Treat e juice like any other liquids folloeing those rules

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doin a 180 on this by saying I get that they have to protect the folks that are flying too, I get that they don't want to be responsible for a possible inflight disaster because some asshole vented a battery causing harm or worse.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think that set rules should be applied but not banning them

The batterys must be taken out (if you can)

Must be turned off if not able to be taken out

Treat it like a laptop have people take them out of bag and put in tray

Maybe limit it to two mods and two tanks

Treat e juice like any other liquids folloeing those rules

Would you trust that all that board with Ecigs would follow a set of rules??

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Id be all for checking my mod in the check on bag but 95% of the time i travel (i travel couple times a year) i dont check a bag so this is kind of shitty

delabs

Member For 4 Years
Speaking of banning- on the news earlier they want to push a bill on Obama to ban flavors. Channel 4 is on the same train.

delabs

Member For 4 Years
If they ban flavored ecig juice why not flavored alcohol too?

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would you trust that all that board with Ecigs would follow a set of rules??
Not at all but i mean when you fly you're trusting 2 strangers not to kill you while 30,000 feet in the air and youre trusting that noone got by with a wepon so i mean you trust strangers alot while flying.

You cant smoke e cigs on an airplane or in airpirts anyway so why would whould you re assemble it anyway? O wait i forgot people can be stupid

TRAPstar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ive always wanted to join the mile high (vaping) club

@Whiskey ive changed my mind, how bout you and them big ole' metal sheers of yours join me on a flight some day soon?

CoffeeFuel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So it says they are banning it from overhead luggage, but if you carry it on your person it's not banned. I understand something potentially auto-firing, which could cause a problem. Just be smart about it and nothing to worry about, right?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i am for regulations as long as its for safety purposes.

a mod exploding in flight regardless ofbecause its form stupidity,intentional or a freak accident would be bad PERIOD. the likelyhood is remote though.

TRAPstar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok and you can sit inbetween me and hubby, we'll have SUCH fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tumblr_lc3linO0In1qf0uv5o1_500_zpsca87d513.jpg
i dont know if 3 people can fit in an airliner bathroom...

plus that would be a lot of vapor :rolleyes: we are both talking about the mile high vapers club, right?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i dont know if 3 people can fit in an airliner bathroom...

plus that would be a lot of vapor :rolleyes: we are both talking about the mile high vapers club, right?
No you were, I'd like it if you would not speak to me this way, I ask this in a friendly way, if it continues, you will be crossing a line.

VU Sponsors