Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm... I'm starting to think that I'm maybe the only one on VU that doesn't buy clones..,??
Doesn't make a difference to me either way, just strange! All back to my dad and fake bass weejuns when I was 8(!)
I buy clones (atty) and if I like it, I buy the authentic. Mods....well, the SVA is about the only clone mod I bought, but it has the real (or a damn good clone of it) DNA 75 chip. There is something about authentics that for some reason is not coming thru in the clones many times. Maybe you do get what you pay for but some of the prices and perceived value are beyond my comprehension. I guess I never got into the whole 3D mods scene ( and I'm thankful for that).

troydestroy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Body is delrin, the internals aren't really much to see, your typical top-fire bridge and button, battery tube with a cap and "floating" bottle.
It's nice that it comes semi-assembled so the user gets a good idea of how it goes together and functions though!
K2mHIQ2.jpg
That packaging is wowzers. Quite an experience I'm sure. Little stuff like that makes that premium price feel justified.

Le Furet

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I buy clones (atty) and if I like it, I buy the authentic. Mods....well, the SVA is about the only clone mod I bought, but it has the real (or a damn good clone of it) DNA 75 chip. There is something about authentics that for some reason is not coming thru in the clones many times. Maybe you do get what you pay for but some of the prices and perceived value are beyond my comprehension. I guess I never got into the whole 3D mods scene ( and I'm thankful for that).

Yeahhh.. you're lucky there... deeeeep ass Rabbit Hole!

Bardiel003

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Perrin won't let you down though, and the "subie bro" tax keeps the value high.... always LOL
Lmao ain't that the truth lol. Nearly done with the setup, just need few more parts(mainly cooling section) and half roll cage and that's it. Maybe swap out lift kit spacers for entire lift coil overs.

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lmao ain't that the truth lol. Nearly done with the setup, just need few more parts(mainly cooling section) and half roll cage and that's it. Maybe swap out lift kit spacers for entire lift coil overs.

What's your project?

Le Furet

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's a very reasonably-priced device by today's standards, where the same amount of money would get me a 3D box with an extra door and button.
Yeahhh you made a good decision there, that will hold it's value longer too. I'm totally convinced that this 3D box & accessory thing is gonna fall flat on it's face in the near future but I can't help myself. It's cool & fun right now but I know it's totally a passing fad.
I have a sweet SX Mini G Kevlar in the classies right now and I can hear the crickets. If that was an alumide squonker it would be gone already.

Bardiel003

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's your project?
300hp/310tq lifted wrx for rally courses. I went to a open class rally event in Tampa somewhere last year. This year want to go back into once more. In fl heat here has been... Devastating lol so Want to fix up the heating issue and Perrin oil cooler is what I'm. Looking into since it only works once it hits 205 degrees rather running all time.
e400bd0922842f7d9ef36f77dc1e8c7a.jpg

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
T

he guaranteed fix for a whistling Wasp nano.
s-l1000.jpg

A 3lb Cross Pein. :)

Howdy everyone. I'm new here. Had a REO 14500 many moons ago, and recently got back into squonking. Went through a pico squeeze, steam crave squonker, Halcyon, Boxer clone, and currently using an SVA Punto zero and SVA dna75 clones. Have an Armageddon white/clear on the way and thanks to tips from y'all on the Shapeways 25% coupon code an alumide 20700 TD. Anyways, glad to be here.. You'll see me around.

Welcome! Shits bonkers in here, but we don't judge. lol

Bardiel003

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeahhh you made a good decision there, that will hold it's value longer too. I'm totally convinced that this 3D box & accessory thing is gonna fall flat on it's face in the near future but I can't help myself. It's cool & fun right now but I know it's totally a passing fad.
I have a sweet SX Mini G Kevlar in the classies right now and I can hear the crickets. If that was an alumide squonker it would be gone already.
If it's a unique 3d print, that shield hold value. But seeing like what?... 10 3d small companies that makes the same box mech units, just different designs? Those I see will drop real quick.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Took the TLF on a ride today. Got WAY to much sun (dumb ass me with my fair skin and no sleeves on a 150+ mile motorcycle ride...)

I forgot to bring my switch lock so I had to keep taking the battery out and putting it back in. I should have brought the Boxer but, I just had to show my friends my TLF. They know what my favorite word is, and my favorite box mod has it printed right on the side (pretty much). My mom even bought me a shirt last time she was in New Orleans that says...

"Fuck you, you fuckin fuck..."

Edit: Woops, guess I didn't know how spoilers work lmao...

Le Furet

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If it's a unique 3d print, that shield hold value. But seeing like what?... 10 3d small companies that makes the same box mech units, just different designs? Those I see will drop real quick.

What kills me is that my dad had his own plastics manufacturing business. I worked half my life there, making plastic computer parts, injection molding, vacuum forming. CNC'd acrylics not unlike the doors, buttons, topcaps, etc (!)
We sold the business when he passed away, if I had access to it now it would be sooo perfect...
I wish he could see how far plastics have come and the printed stuff, he would absolutely love it.
:cry:

Bardiel003

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What kills me is that my dad had his own plastics manufacturing business. I worked half my life there, making plastic computer parts, injection molding, vacuum forming. CNC'd acrylics not unlike the doors, buttons, topcaps, etc (!)
We sold the business when he passed away, if I had access to it now it would be sooo perfect...
I wish he could see how far plastics have come and the printed stuff, he would absolutely love it.
:cry:
Rip sorry to hear that. But its those baby boom business. No one never thought of vaporizers into less dangerous vape units.

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
300hp/310tq lifted wrx for rally courses. I went to a open class rally event in Tampa somewhere last year. This year want to go back into once more. In fl heat here has been... Devastating lol so Want to fix up the heating issue and Perrin oil cooler is what I'm. Looking into since it only works once it hits 205 degrees rather running all time.
e400bd0922842f7d9ef36f77dc1e8c7a.jpg

Simple things will help in the heat also, wrap your header, downpipe and add a turbo blanket...

Bardiel003

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Simple things will help in the heat also, wrap your header, downpipe and add a turbo blanket...
Well with the block how it is, I am going to use the stock turbo, and also planning to order more dei heat wrap. I did so to my straight downpipe. Planning to order koyo radiator, grimmspeed tmic, that oil cooler. And buy more thermal gold tape to help hold heat much as possible.

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well with the block how it is, I am going to use the stock turbo, and also planning to order more dei heat wrap. I did so to my straight downpipe. Planning to order koyo radiator, grimmspeed tmic, that oil cooler. And buy more thermal gold tape to help hold heat much as possible.

I'm not very keen on the FA series, my entire time has been spent with the EJ blocks, though as I understand the FA20 is a pretty close relative to the EJ20 from the GC chassis.
Sounds like you're on the right track though!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I hope my talk of clones isn't offending anyone. I spent a lot of money back in the day on expensive shiny tubes and things to screw onto them. If i had the money now i probably would still. Gave up my fast paced city life to raise a family in the country and take over the cattle ranch my grandfather started back in the 1940's.

If i feel the original is fairly priced and isn't difficult to obtain I'm all over it. ~$50 rda and ~$150 mod is reasonable to me at this point in my life. Most makers disagree

However, that said im all for supporting original designs and development! And without some of these insane prices new designs might never leave the heads of makers with dollar signs in their eyes!

TL;DR
I'm poor but like shiny stuff. Clones enable me to obtain a lot of new toys I otherwise wouldn't have

Vape whatever you please - I do both

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I looked it up 10 times couldnt find it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's because the group is set to Secret right now and the only way in is for a member to add people. They're banning people for adding more to the group at the moment because they have a list open until tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My 06 Subie went into the shop this week, another Manley stroker crank going in next week :gaah:

Resized952017090295194233.jpg

Vape budget blown :drunk:

Last edited:

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm liking the Proteus so far but the thing has zero throw. Just looking at it wrong will fire it

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Long shot incoming! Anyone have a v4 svf blk engraved derlin they want to get off? Lol
Bought 2 doors today and now I need a mod to put them on. Willing to buy or trade.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My 06 Subie went into the shop this week, another stroker crank going in next week :gaah:

View attachment 90871

Blown for the foreseeable future as well, holy shit! I admire you guys that go for the strokers, I prefer the JDM swaps.
I have my eyes on a freshly cut V10 EJ 207, but sadly I can't justify it. My baby is too good to me.

Edit: LOL I missed the "another" in that post.... which basically sums up my admiration for strokers, that you love to rebuild motors so much that you do it several times, sometimes just because you drove it :giggle:

Last edited:

C3scott

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The firing mechanics got me interested in the 3Ds. Awaiting my Armageddon(price not bad imo). The pulse 24 I got today is great on my sva though.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My 06 Subie went into the shop this week, another stroker crank going in next week :gaah:

View attachment 90871

Wow that is one busted ass crank! I feel ya man. Sucks when your ride is down. You are lucky if the crank broke and didn't do much damage to anything else though.

My left fork sprung a leak today :( It's just gonna have to hang in there though. I'm going to Ruidoso for the Golden Aspen Motorcycle Rally on the 15th-17th. Was going to head To Santa Rosa this weekend but, that would have been a solo journey, so decided to ride with friends instead.

9.2.17.jpg

troydestroy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The firing mechanics got me interested in the 3Ds. Awaiting my Armageddon(price not bad imo). The pulse 24 I got today is great on my sva though.
when did you purchase Armageddon? I paid on Friday... Got the white/clear. Was hoping it would ship today ahead of the holiday weekend but no email...

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I don't like the nano :( took me buying 2 to realize that. Ha ha. I'm currently using the top cap on an o-atty as a slam cap
I'd like to buy 2 more lol. I need a black one, cause I like the murdered out look and my wife needs a white one to go with her Wraith.

I'm using the nano over, pulse 22, gorge, solo, mulciber, hadaly, dunno just love the darn thing lol.

C3scott

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
when did you purchase Armageddon? I paid on Friday... Got the white/clear. Was hoping it would ship today ahead of the holiday weekend but no email...
From their site. Got the same one you ordered and it is in transit. Purchased it on Thursday night and got shipping confirmation on Friday.

troydestroy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From their site. Got the same one you ordered and it is in transit. Purchased it on Thursday night and got shipping confirmation on Friday.
Argh... I knew i should have pulled the trigger Thursday night... I kept talking myself out of it, when there was one left Friday afternoon i couldn't resist!

Bardiel003

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd like to buy 2 more lol. I need a black one, cause I like the murdered out look and my wife needs a white one to go with her Wraith.

I'm using the nano over, pulse 22, gorge, solo, mulciber, hadaly, dunno just love the darn thing lol.
Damn the nano is that flavorful? Hmmm maybe I'll grab it, just not into thr whistling..

VU Sponsors