Become a Patron!

Stainless Steel: The New Kanthal?

It does not fucking matter. Stop using Nickel on a mech mod if you care about your life.
Dude quit being a fucking vape nazi, you can educate without being a prick. You talk incredibly demanding and snarky. Probably one of those people that doesn't even know battery safety or ohm's law but try to grill everyone for it. Regardless if people blow themselves up or not, the media will still find a way to tarnish vaping, it's how corporate companies work when they want something gone.

awoodby

Member For 4 Years
You can get 316L stainless on amazon for like $7 for 30M, it is super neutral flavored, doesn't burn out easy. There are plenty of mods that will accept it for temp control. I really don't see any reason to use anything else.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I had actually been talking back and forth with @Zamazam and we had both been using 316 stainless to vape long before there was any actual evidence that it was OK or before I had heard many vapers talking about it.

I had thought at the time that some of that expensive $15 a 3 foot bag exotic wire was probably stainless because 316 has a super fast ramp up cool down time.

I used it in just one of my RDAs because I did not want to use it exclusively at first before I knew what other vapers thought of it.

Once the crown came out with 316 stainless coils I knew it was all good and I haven't been using much kanthal since.

I started playing around with it probably close to a year ago.

Zam knows as much about it if not more than I do so I tagged him.

I realize this was a dead thread but it has been brought back to life and I figured I'd let people know who are maybe searching the internet right now for information on 316 stainless like I was a year ago that I have been using it and it preforms way better than kanthal.

It also has a lower resistance so a typical dual 5 or 6 wrap coil on a 2.5 to 3mm coiling tool will bring it out to 0.2 to 0.4 ohms LOWER than a similar kanthal coil.

I know @Zamazam knows more than me about the subject so if he thinks of anything to add in case others are searching for answers I'm sure he will be glad to.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
ONE more thing BE CAREFUL of that art wire that they sell as 316 stainless.

MAKE SURE it is pure 316 stainless and not just stainless coated copper.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've been using SS wire for over a year now. Conversations with @5150sick started off with "premium" vaping wire that turned out to be nothing more than 24 Gauge SS welding wire for MIG welding. Further investigation showed that it was just plain 316L or 317 SS wire and that you could get a kilogram spool of it for less than what the "Premium" manufactures sold 3 meters for. I've never liked Nickle or Titanium, mostly because of the taste. In temp control mode, Ti had an off flavor to it. Ni200 was just a pain in the ass to make coils with since it's so soft. There's tempered Ni200 out there now which is easier to work with, but I've been using SS for both wattage and temp control for a while now and have all but abandoned Kanthal in my builds. I make claptons with both Kanthal and SS, but use SS in the majority of my atty's. I like the flavor, to me it's cleaner and the nice thing about SS wire is that it heats up/ramps up fast, much faster than Kanthal, plus I don't run the risk of catching it on fire and having a mini disaster like what can and has happened with Titanium wire to some vapers who pulsed dry Titanium builds. Titanium burns like Magnesium, Very HOT and quite dangerous.

Last edited:

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using SS wire for over a year now. Conversations with @5150sick started off with "premium" vaping wire that turned out to be nothing more than 24 Gauge SS welding wire for MIG welding. Further investigation showed that it was just plain 316L or 317 SS wire and that you could get a kilogram spool of it for less than what the "Premium" manufactures sold 3 meters for. I've never liked Nickle or Titanium, mostly because of the taste. In temp control mode, Ti had an off flavor to it. Ni200 was just a pain in the ass to make coils with since it's so soft. There's tempered Ni200 out there now which is easier to work with, but I've been using SS for both wattage and temp control for a while now and have all but abandoned Kanthal in my builds. I make claptons with both Kanthal and SS, but use SS in the majority of my atty's. I like the flavor, to me it's cleaner and the nice thing about SS wire is that it heats up/ramps up fast, much faster than Kanthal, plus I don't run the risk of catching it on fire and having a mini disaster like what can and has happened with Titanium wire to some vapers who pulsed dry Titanium builds. Titanium burns like Magnesium, Very HOT and quite dangerous.
Any preference to 316 or 317 or are they basically the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
317 is a little harder to acquire but it has a lower resistance and is a little softer.
I just stuck with the 316 since you can get a 30 foot roll for under 10 bucks.
317 is mig welding wire and you either buy a 1000 foot spool or find someone else that did already.
gPlat was 317 they put out the money for the huge spool and sold it in 3 and 6 foot sections for $20+

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
At one time an idea for a 317 stainless "group buy" was in the works where everyone pitches in a smaller amount of money so one person can collect all the money and buy the huge spool but nothing ever happened with it.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
317 is a little harder to acquire but it has a lower resistance and is a little softer.
I just stuck with the 316 since you can get a 30 foot roll for under 10 bucks.
317 is mig welding wire and you either buy a 1000 foot spool or find someone else that did already.
gPlat was 317 they put out the money for the huge spool and sold it in 3 and 6 foot sections for $20+
does some SS have nickel in it? Or is that a bunch of hooey?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
SS pure 316l is pure stainless steel.
Kanthal and nichrome both have nickel in them.
That's what the NI in nichrome is.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
does some SS have nickel in it? Or is that a bunch of hooey?
From an alloy standpoint , SS316L needs to be pure stainless. If you get MIG wire, it will list as 100% SS, or an alloy of other composition.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
SS pure 316l is pure stainless steel.
Kanthal and nichrome both have nickel in them.
That's what the NI in nichrome is.
Roger that. was asking because I see "nickel free" advertised for 316l a lot and it had me curious.

Also, and this may be dumb, being I've been using SS for a while too, but the blue-purple color change when dry burning ....is that bad? Or should it be avoided?

vapedick

Member For 4 Years
There is in fact nickel in all 316 (L,F,N) stainless steel. That and chromium are what make it stainless. 10-14%

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Roger that. was asking because I see "nickel free" advertised for 316l a lot and it had me curious.

Also, and this may be dumb, being I've been using SS for a while too, but the blue-purple color change when dry burning ....is that bad? Or should it be avoided?
Nope, that happens to me as well. It's normal.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Think of SS exhaust pipes (not chromed), they discolor and turn blue/purple with heat.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Think of SS exhaust pipes (not chromed), they discolor and turn blue/purple with heat.
Yeah, that was my thought, and free the whole Ti arguments I started to avoid letting it get that hot when dry burning as a 'Justin case'.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I know that RDA's that claim to be made out of stainless steel (the RDA itself not the coil) are 304 stainless.
I have never tried that for use in coils.
Does anyone know which of the 3 types of stainless steel Uwell crown coils are?

BaerCiggy2Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've used a uwell crown tank before, this was before I knew the difference it made in vapor production when it came to wire\coil use.
Been on a starre freemax kick for months after I fell out of the hobbu, but recently started working at a vape shop and bought myself another uwell crown tank, and dear God I cannot believe how amaIng this thing is. The coils is what blows my mind, the flavor is crazy. Running the 0.25ohm ss coil that came pre installed at 36w and I'm in fucking love.
Not to mention SS is the safest wire to use, I CANT believe how well this thing performs. I must have forgot. I sold my crown tanks months ago. Gave it another shot when I seen my boss rocking the black one, glad I did.
Ss wire and ss coils are here to stay for me.0408161133a-1.jpg 0408161133a-1.jpg

BaerCiggy2Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
0408161143-1.jpg Oh btw that's the uwell crown sitting on top of the new Sigelei 90w plus (Single 26650 battery).
This mods battery life is unreal, I get one full day of vaping out of it, or two and a half days of I'm working or doing something other than sitting on my ass.
When I say I get one full. day, I mean I'm hitting that bad boy every 5 minutes, that's the type of vaper I am. I hit that shit literally all day every day,lol
I'm almost worried if I vape too much..

BaerCiggy2Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know that RDA's that claim to be made out of stainless steel (the RDA itself not the coil) are 304 stainless.
I have never tried that for use in coils.
Does anyone know which of the 3 types of stainless steel Uwell crown coils are?

316L is what uwell claims for their SS COILS in the package with the tank.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
View attachment 46597 Oh btw that's the uwell crown sitting on top of the new Sigelei 90w plus (Single 26650 battery).
This mods battery life is unreal, I get one full day of vaping out of it, or two and a half days of I'm working or doing something other than sitting on my ass.
When I say I get one full. day, I mean I'm hitting that bad boy every 5 minutes, that's the type of vaper I am. I hit that shit literally all day every day,lol
I'm almost worried if I vape too much..

i vape pretty much on a constant basis when I'm sitting on my ass not doing anything too.
when i am doing something i can go a lot longer without Vaping than i could without a cigarette when i used to smoke.
i used to smoke every hour and if i didn't it was all i was thinking about until i did.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

BaerCiggy2Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I literally carry that mod and tank u seen in the pix with me ALL DAY.
And I'm constantly hitting it on my free time. I literally sit and wait about a minute to three minutes inbtween pulls.
Hey man, I got a question about the coils, u have any idea why it POPS when you fire the coils for longer than like 3-4 seconds? Sometimes shorter, I notice it pops. I read somewhere it's just the wicking process and that it's fast. Is that so?
It happens a lot with my nickel coils, and I notice the crown ss coils do it as well.

BaerCiggy2Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can upload a video or if audio is available of the popping noise I'm talking about if u want.
Also, I'm running the crown on my sig at 37.5 watts, and that's plenty.

VU Sponsors