Become a Patron!

Starting Out

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I pieced everything together. Starter kits never had quite what I was looking for. I mix by weight myself. If you decide to do the same, you'll want to get a scale that measures down to .01 grams. It was very easy, quick and efficient with my ingredients for me doing it that way.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Personally I pieced everything together. Starter kits never had quite what I was looking for. I mix by weight myself. If you decide to do the same, you'll want to get a scale that measures down to .01 grams. It was very easy, quick and efficient with my ingredients for me doing it that way.

Thanks for the info! The first video I watched about making juice the guy made his by weight. Is there a difference between mixing by weight vs volume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the info! The first video I watched about making juice the guy made his by weight. Is there a difference between mixing by weight vs volume?

With volume, you have to measure with pipettes, breakers, syringes, or something of that nature. I tried that at first and found that to be a bit of a pain myself, so, I found a scale for like $13 online. I never even thought about going back to mixing by volume. I use 3 syringes. One for vg, one for pg, and one for nic. I keep the vg and pg syringes in a Ziploc bag together and the nic one in a separate one by itself. Just drop the appropriate weight for each flavoring straight from the bottle and boom all done.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm a weight mixer. I put PG, VG and nic, each into their own twisty top Yorker bottles. MOST of my flavorings are in dripper tops, so mixing is pretty quick and painless. I used to spend more time cleaning up, than I do now, just mixing up a juice.

I didn't know anything about kits when I first started mixing, but really, I'm glad for that. Some feel they get the full benefit with kits, but I feel like I chose the right path, for me. They might be an ok intro to DIY, but I'm still glad I went the route that I did.

The first time I got supplies, I bought 48mg/ml nic. It didn't last very long, so my next go round, I upped that to 100mg/ml. I'm still working on an order that I purchased more than 3 years ago. I bought a 12 pack of amber glass "packer" bottles and caps, a liter of nic (mine's in PG), shook the hell out of the nic, then split it up and have them stored in the freezer, in the box that the bottles arrived in. Over time I just started building up my stash, because "the sky is falling", lol. I order PG and VG in gallon sizes, but waited a while on doing that. I wanted to know that DIY was for me.

Online calculators, even downloadable calculators, make DIY pretty simple. There are tons of great recipes around VU and around the web. Recipes taught me a lot about the flavorings and how to use them well. It took a minute before I got comfy in those and was able to create my own.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is there a difference between mixing by weight vs volume?
Mixing with syringes sucks compared to mixing by weight. I started with them. Then I got a scale. I mix everything directly into a bottle now on a scale. Nothing to wash or clean up and it's way quicker. Popping off the dropper tips for eight flavor recipes got old quick.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, flavors is another one that makes my eyes boggle. How do you decide which brand to go with? Like the o e below is Capella and The Flavors Apprentice

The recipes gave specific brands to use
acba73b776050722b781a4e538cbffad.jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
And you can always ask opinions, too. Some are stronger than others, some brands offer more flavorings, but not always better ones. There are so many available these days, I can understand it's difficult to choose. I still stick with the main ones I've used for the last couple years. I have what I consider to be a lot of flavorings, but nowhere near the # that many of our members have lol (@Teresa P ;) ). And still... I typically use the same ones over and over.

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And you can always ask opinions, too. Some are stronger than others, some brands offer more flavorings, but not always better ones. There are so many available these days, I can understand it's difficult to choose. I still stick with the main ones I've used for the last couple years. I have what I consider to be a lot of flavorings, but nowhere near the # that many of our members have lol (@Teresa P ;) ). And still... I typically use the same ones over and over.

Which brand(s) do you prefer?

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have used Flavor Art or FA since I began mixing. I am about to buy some flavors fromother brands in my next order to make some new recipes that I acquired, but still mainly use FA. FA is the most concentrated between the brands I believe, which means less will be more.

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't get hung up on brands. Every brand makes good flavors and bad flavors. You should view each flavor as an individual.

I’m just trying to get a feel for others prefer, this is a pretty daunting thing to start given the amount of options and I like knowing what others use/prefer.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
In order of most used/preference in my house, at least
FlavourArt (FA)
The Flavor Apprentice (TFA)
Capella (CAP)
Inawera (IW)
Nature's Flavors (NF)
Flavor West (FW)
Hangsen (HA)

I've gotten samples of about 3 others that I haven't tried, or just didn't like.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’m just trying to get a feel for others prefer, this is a pretty daunting thing to start given the amount of options and I like knowing what others use/prefer.

Ok. I like-
  • Inawera
  • Jungle Flavors
  • Hangsen
  • Vape Train
  • Wonder Flavors
  • Purilum
  • Flavor West
  • Capella
  • Flavors Express
  • Super Concentrates
  • The Flavor Apprentice
  • FlavourArt
  • Flavorah

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, flavoring is tough. I might be in love with something you hate.

I would definitely take the advice about picking a recipe or two and getting those flavors. Get them in 10ml increments so if you don’t like it, you won’t be spending too much. Build your stash up over time. Single flavor test! Take notes! You gotta know what you’re working with. Case in point....TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Some people taste pepper. Some people don’t. Some people taste play doh in Caps Glazed Donut. Some do not. Some strawberries are syrupy, some floral, some have hints of stem, some taste cooked, some raw......every flavor, even if it has the same name, is different. For now, using what people have used is good....until you get better at creating your own.

Good luck and keep asking questions! We’ll see ya on your way down the rabbit hole!

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Awesome! Now to check out the recipes. Thanks for the help everyone!

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is there a good one stop website?

NicRiver has everything. Huge selection of flavors, VG, PG, tools, bottles, and nicotine. I just got some Chemnovatic brand nic from them and it's top notch. Their sample size flavors come in 15ml bottles. But the price is the same as what others charge for 10ml. So it's like 50% free. They just started doing it and that's awesome. Free shipping if you order $50 and over (No code needed).

Bullcity has everything you need but not nicotine. They ship your order a lot faster than NR and are good people. They have a code for free shipping when you spend $50 and over.

Last edited:

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't get hung up on recipes when your new to DIY.
Like wildgypsy said .... single flavor test.
Everytime you get a new flavor mix a small (5ml) flavor test.
That way you'll know if you like it, maybe it's even good solo, how much flavoring do you need to get the flavor you want and,
how you could use it in a recipe.... what it will contribute to the recipe.
With a small test bottle, you still have room to dilute, or add a few drops to increase the flavor to where you think it's good.
Sorry to say, it just takes time playing in the "lab"
Lets say you like strawberry,... pick up a couple of bottles from different company's that you have heard people brag about the most.
I went through about 11 company's before I found 2 that are good, taste real, and don't need a high percentage to obtain a good flavor.
That's all it boils down too ...experiment,,,, experiment.
Each flavor contributes to the recipe, and if your not familiar with each one, you'll never know why your disappointed in the recipe.
One of the flavors by a different company's could of tasted entirely different, and turned out yummy.
Kind of like the old say, " you'll kiss a lot of frogs, trying to find your prince 1210FE~124.GIF

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't get hung up on recipes when your new to DIY.
Like wildgypsy said .... single flavor test.
Everytime you get a new flavor mix a small (5ml) flavor test.
That way you'll know if you like it, maybe it's even good solo, how much flavoring do you need to get the flavor you want and,
how you could use it in a recipe.... what it will contribute to the recipe.
With a small test bottle, you still have room to dilute, or add a few drops to increase the flavor to where you think it's good.
Sorry to say, it just takes time playing in the "lab"
Lets say you like strawberry,... pick up a couple of bottles from different company's that you have heard people brag about the most.
I went through about 11 company's before I found 2 that are good, taste real, and don't need a high percentage to obtain a good flavor.
That's all it boils down too ...experiment,,,, experiment.
Each flavor contributes to the recipe, and if your not familiar with each one, you'll never know why your disappointed in the recipe.
One of the flavors by a different company's could of tasted entirely different, and turned out yummy.
Kind of like the old say, " you'll kiss a lot of frogs, trying to find your prince View attachment 129991

Single flavors as in strawberry (like you mentioned), lemon, or grape but not stuff like cinnamon roll or lemon meringue...stuff where the recipe calls for several flavors combined?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Single flavors as in strawberry (like you mentioned), lemon, or grape but not stuff like cinnamon roll or lemon meringue...stuff where the recipe calls for several flavors combined?

I suggest looking at established, good recipes. Find one or two that look good to you. You can even ask us about them, or give you suggestions. But when you find a recipe or two you want to try, get the exact flavors on the list. Then make the recipe so you can have something good to vape on.

I would have probably quit DIY if I had just tested my random flavors I bought. Most single flavors aren't much on their own. Fruits can be good. But the flavors we use are better blended into a recipe most of the time. Trust the pros at first until you can learn how things work. It takes time and dedication to get good at DIY.

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I suggest looking at established, good recipes. Find one of two that look good to you. You can even ask us about them. But when you find a recipe or two you want to try, get the exact flavors on the list. Then make the recipe so you can have something good to vape on.

I would have probably quit DIY if I had just tested my random flavors I bought. Most single flavors aren't much on their own. Fruits can be good. But the flavors we use are better blended into a recipe most of the time. Trust the pros at first until you can learn how things work. It takes time and dedication to get good at DIY.

Gotcha. Time to find a couple recipes and build the cart!

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If using someone else's recipe, they will tell you the flavoring company's they used ... those are the flavorings they liked the best.

You still need to know the best flavorings for you, for when you start creating your own favorite recipe or mix
If you want to make a caramel cinnamon roll ...who's your favorite caramel, who's your favorite cinnamon roll, or cinnamon danish ??
Who's your favorite cheesecake to go with your favorite strawberry ??
Test each flavor solo that you buy, no matter how you intend to use it, even if it's one used in someone else's recipe.
Know the flavorings you have on hand, and how they taste, for you own use.
I even test the background flavors solo, like pastries, creams etc ... I want to know how "creamy" it tastes, and how much I have to add to the recipe to get that creamy taste.
I'm not going to vape "cream" on it's own, but I want to know if it will help the recipe, and how much I'll have to use.
Have fun

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went with buying two kits earlier this month with Nic River. 30 flavors within two kits plus starter supplies really for me was a good thing.

I had ordered more flavors, more nic and vg but to me is was really a great way to get started. Would do it again as well. I thought I had the scale here at my home that was ok, but it wasn't. Bought the scale from amazon.

The kit to me was excellent and an all in one. The buckets are quite handy also. Love them! Their customer service was awesome on my three orders, back to back. :)

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get my nic from www.vaperstek.org. They have one called Throat Hit that is 45.99 for a liter. I have heard that some brands of nic have a peppery taste. I didn't taste that in this particular one myself. Thecustomer service was great and the nic was good. I also would say that Bull City Flavors is a great place to get flavors at. I personally made my first recipe from a mix I found on VU called HIC's Xtra Smooth Tiramisu. I still love it to this day and it was my adv forever LOL. If you need anything in this adventure, please ask. All of us are here to help.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The Community Recipe Packs at Bull City Flavors are a good way to get started with tried and true recipes. They have some recipe packs from mixers here on VU like @wllmc (MamaJs Game Over Custard), @Deeks, @HeadInClouds, and others. You get all the individual flavors needed to make the recipe with a discount. You just need to add your own nic, PG, and VG.

https://www.bullcityflavors.com/full-recipe-discounted/

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The Community Recipe Packs at Bull City Flavors are a good way to get started with tried and true recipes. They have some recipe packs from mixers here on VU like @wllmc (MamaJs Game Over Custard), @Deeks, @HeadInClouds, and others. You get all the individual flavors needed to make the recipe with a discount. You just need to add your own nic, PG, and VG.

That’s awesome!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

That’s awesome!

Maybe @wllmc and @Roundhouse will give me a finders fee...:giggle: just kidding, BCF is my goto for flavors.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not going to vape "cream" on it's own, but I want to know if it will help the recipe, and how much I'll have to use.
Have fun
I just had bavarian cream wars at my house lol. I SFT'd four different brands of it and the results were interesting. I've been mixing a year and a half. I haven't' gotten around to tasting them solo until very recently. I knew Capella's wasn't the best but, didn't know it would get beat by such a large margin. This flavor.........this is not my kinda flavor. :D

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just had bavarian cream wars at my house lol. I SFT'd four different brands of it and the results were interesting. I've been mixing a year and a half. I haven't' gotten around to tasting them solo until very recently. I knew Capella's wasn't the best but, didn't know it would get beat by such a large margin. This flavor.........this is not my kinda flavor. :D
Which of the 4 won?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Which of the 4 won?
JF was the best. It's got a bit of richness that was lacking in all the others. It tastes fuller or thicker. TFA and FW were similar but missing what JF has. FW has a nice sweetness but they both seem just a tad flat in comparison. That sweetness FW has puts it above TFA IMO. It just tastes better. CAP wasn't just flat, it was downright stale. It barely had any taste. The flavor it did have is indescribable. I also have TFA DX. It sat this one out. I didn't see it until it was too late. I'll get to it soon while my memory is fresh. It's probably not that good I imagine. I was going to get FA when it came out but it made me think. "I already have these others that need addressing". My results yielded none of these taste like actual bavarian cream to me.

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
D0ABAED1-924D-4735-B5CF-A613FCD3167C.png
JF was the best. It's got a bit of richness that was lacking in all the others. It tastes fuller or thicker. TFA and FW were similar but missing what JF has. FW has a nice sweetness but they both seem a little flat in comparison. CAP wasn't just flat, it was downright stale. It barely had any taste. The flavor it did have is indescribable. I also have TFA DX. It sat this one out. I didn't see it until it was too late. I'll get to it soon while my memory is fresh. It's probably not that good I imagine. I was going to get FA when it came out but it made me think. "I already have these others that need addressing".
That’s great! Thanks, I just ordered some to sub in for CC Devon Cream in this recipe I found. It’s called Caramel Cream Pastry.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’m looking at nic and it comes in vg, pg, or 50/50, is one better than the other? I like a 70vg/30pg juice typically.

I use PG base. It's a thinner liquid so it's easier to mix together IMO. VG is thicker (More viscious) so you have to shake it more to get it evenly blended. Lots of people here use it though (VG based nic). I'm sure they have their reasons.

VU Sponsors