Become a Patron!

Sub-Ohm RTA help please

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm pretty new to the vape scene and have been doing some research, and I want to get a RTA build and use 316 stainless steel wiring with organic japanese cotton. Just wondering what ohm I should be shooting for with an ohm reader? I currently have the evic vtc mini with .5ohm ti coils. I've also read to vape anything with as wiring at around 420-450° and 20-27w. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There is no such setting to give you. Build it, play with your settings, find what you like. I can spit numbers out, and it won't mean a thing to you. Some things you just have to figure out on your own.

The only limit is the lowest ohm your mod will accept. I don't know the VTC. 0.1 is a common low limit these days. Read your manual to see what it is, then stay above it.

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Powerman
Is there any numbers to go for to be more on the safe side? I've just read if you go too high on your ohms your device can blow up on you. I definitely don't want that happening.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There is no number. It depends on your mod. If it's regulated, it will regulate.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@Powerman
Is there any numbers to go for to be more on the safe side? I've just read if you go too high on your ohms your device can blow up on you. I definitely don't want that happening.

The "blow up" issue comes from using unregulated devices and not paying attention to ohms law. Regulated devices regulate the current to normally safe levels. As long as you are using 20+ amp rated batteries in a regulated device, you should be fine.

The caveat with batteries ratings though, is to use good brands. Don't buy some shit "fire" batteries and expect they are rated truthfully.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
image.jpeg

All of my atties you see here (except for the Aromamizer) are built dual 26g S 316L. The Zephyrus is .2ohm, the Crius is .24ohm and my Derringer is .25ohm. As everyone has posted, it really doesn't matter so long as you have good batteries and regulated mods. Build how you like it. You can see where I feel my sweet spot is; right about .2-.25. Hope that helps.

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@warchop

I really wanted to go with a regular 316 SS, not the 316l. Are thy compatible with 316 SS?

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm new to SS, but as far as I know SS is SS. Though only my Evic VTC Mini will be the only one to read it in TC mode.

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No it's not. Each grade of SS has a different coefficient.
On the upside you can also enter custom coefficients in your VTC mini. So as soon as you learn all the ins and outs of how it works you'll be rockin!

I wanna try 430 grade.

What is the purest form of SS? I was reading the chemical compositions and the percentages of coefficients are higher for 430+F but there are a less number of differrent coefficients. Whenever I google the purest form of SS it says 316, though. It says 316L is the next purest.
Also, I honestly don't mind the stiffness and non-constructability of 316 compared to soft 316L because I plan on buying a coiling tool, which I could let the coil sit for 3-4 days to mold shape over time.

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're waayy overthinking it. Get 2, maybe 3 types and pick the one you like best. 316L can be used with or w/o temp control.
430 has a much higher coefficient than 316... might not work as well w/o TC... I dunno. I use TC with stainless regardless.

Forget "purity"; SS is an alloy, not an element. It's impure by definition, although some is of higher quality, I'm sure.
And above all, don't listen to the self-appointed pearl-clutching vape-safety nannies who claim coils made from XX are unsafe.
Stainless is fantastic for vaping and does not break down into lung-choking carcinogens as some would have you believe.
There is absolutely zero evidence to support their panic. Mods don't get hot enough to vaporize chromium.
I definitely appreciate the information. I've read SS is actually the safest out of all the other types of material you can make coils from because it takes higher temp. to start burning off any coefficients. I also read it can burn juice at the lowest temp compared to other materials. Not saying that as true, just what I read. I am very new to all this which is why I'm here.

goingcrazy614

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As a ex-welder I can tell you that the number on SS refers to the amount of nickel and chromium used in the alloy. Both are safe and commonly found in multivitamins. Good luck.

VU Sponsors