Become a Patron!

SUBTANK WARS

RGBVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I am using a tank then it's a crown every time. However past few months I've been on my Griffin rta each n every day. The crown is top dog in the tank world to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You always kill me, Devil. And tease me to spend more of my vape budget! Always great advice, but thank God I follow it selectively and carefully. Or else I'd be divorced, broke, and have far more devices than the 3 tanks I currently have.

RGBVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What kind of vape you looking for?
Looking to maximize flavor, but don't want to skip the cloud entirely. Doesn't have to be a warm vape. Currently using my Silo Beast and .5 coil at 45 watts, but have had it about 7 months and I'm thinking there may be better out there. Only mod I have is an IPV Mini II single 18650 one, which tops out at 70 watts but is good for all day with only one battery change at the watts I vape at.

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stellar vape coming from three out of five tanks I own:
1. Triton 2
2. Crown (really wish they'd make a Crown v2 with juice flow control)
3. Griffin

The Crown is up there in my list with the Triton 2. Love its coils.

On my to buy list are:
1. Sense Herakles Plus
2. Aspire Clieto
3. Joyetech Cubis
4. El Diablo
5. CoV Stratos

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You always kill me, Devil. And tease me to spend more of my vape budget! Always great advice, but thank God I follow it selectively and carefully. Or else I'd be divorced, broke, and have far more devices than the 3 tanks I currently have.
:D Aren't we all that way, all encouraging and hating each other as we discuss the new shinies? Either way the Griffin surely is the builder's RTA that we've all been waiting for. I typically research for a few weeks before I buy something, the one exception was the Haze, and I'm glad I bought it (clone so only cost me ~$15 (was $11, bought something else too to hit free freight). Anyways, the Griffin holds up to what was promised. RDA in tank form. Of course Vapor/Flavor depends on the build but the Griffin has room to execute whatever you would on a 22mm RDA. It's not quite my Haze's flavor (I think from the chimney length) but best way I can describe the difference is a really good chip dip made with greek yogurt vs sour cream, slight loss in richness but still awesome and screw you get your own :mad:.

RGBVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Stellar vape coming from three out of five tanks I own:
1. Triton 2
2. Crown (really wish they'd make a Crown v2 with juice flow control)
3. Griffin

The Crown is up there in my list with the Triton 2. Love its coils.

On my to buy list are:
1. Sense Herakles Plus
2. Aspire Clieto
3. Joyetech Cubis
4. El Diablo
5. CoV Stratos
Heard good things about the Griffin, but I'm too lazy and thick-fingered to mess with a build, plus I just don't have the time. Didn't even try my old Kanger RTA. Closest I've come to building is re-wicking the horizontal Kanger coils without disassembling them.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looking to maximize flavor, but don't want to skip the cloud entirely. Doesn't have to be a warm vape. Currently using my Silo Beast and .5 coil at 45 watts, but have had it about 7 months and I'm thinking there may be better out there. Only mod I have is an IPV Mini II single 18650 one, which tops out at 70 watts but is good for all day with only one battery change at the watts I vape at.
Well, I'd put the Crown & the Herakles plus as neck & neck in the race for me. But I think the Crown is better by the slimmest of margins. And if you do get one, you can snag some 1.2ohm coils. It's a cooler vape & your batteries will last that much longer running a coil that's max range is 30ish watts

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My current top three:
1) Griffen
2) Crown
3) TFV4
But I have two Griffin RTA's now that are my daily vape in rotation.. I don't plan on buying anymore of those expensive replacement coils either..once they are used up the Crown and TFV4 will be retired...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man, I'm so happy with the Crown, other than it's completely junk RBA head. Why are you all making me buy a Griffin? Why can't you just leave good enough alone?
You definitely have to check out the Griffin! It's a great rta ( well, it's the only rta i own anyway). Build quality is far from the Crown and the Triton 2, but it's a good rta. Flavor is up there with my Triton 2 and Crown. I guess the only real downside of the tank is the fussy fill cap (just don't tighten it too much) and the even fussier juice flow control which seems to spin on its own.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Man, I'm so happy with the Crown, other than it's completely junk RBA head. Why are you all making me buy a Griffin? Why can't you just leave good enough alone?
The RBA isn't that bad. You just gotta know how to build it lol

RedDirtTrooper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The RBA isn't that bad. You just gotta know how to build it lol
I have to disagree. There's nothing wrong with my builds, but if I wanted that kind of vape I'd go back to using a Kayfun. I've been building coils for 4-5 years now, since the terrible old first generation clearomizer and genesis days. The Crown RBA would be ok if I wanted to build it with 32 gauge Kanthal and stick it on my first gen provari, but it definitely can't remotely compare to the premade heads.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have to disagree. There's nothing wrong with my builds, but if I wanted that kind of vape I'd go back to using a Kayfun. I've been building coils for 4-5 years now, since the terrible old first generation clearomizer and genesis days. The Crown RBA would be ok if I wanted to build it with 32 gauge Kanthal and stick it on my first gen provari, but it definitely can't remotely compare to the premade heads.
I beg to differ. No, it's not as good as the premades, BUT it is a serviceable vape, & nowhere near a kayfun when you know how to do it

RedDirtTrooper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I beg to differ. No, it's not as good as the premades, BUT it is a serviceable vape, & nowhere near a kayfun when you know how to do it
Kayfun may have been a slight exaggeration, but I still think it's bad. Honestly, I could even tolerate the ni200 head long enough to kill it, and the RBA head is no where near as good as it. You're right, it's serviceable, and I wouldn't have complained at all if I'd had it back in 2014, but I still find it pretty mediocre now. It just compromises too much. You have to do this balancing act between getting the coil in it big enough to produce acceptably, but the bigger you go the more airflow is cut off, and the juice channels are small enough that you end up, in my experience, with a fairly small diameter coil that maxes out at 30-40 watts, even after filing out the juice channels some. It's just kind of an anemic experience. I'd honestly rather rebuild the stock heads than fiddle with the RBA. Just my opinion.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kayfun may have been a slight exaggeration, but I still think it's bad. Honestly, I could even tolerate the ni200 head long enough to kill it, and the RBA head is no where near as good as it. You're right, it's serviceable, and I wouldn't have complained at all if I'd had it back in 2014, but I still find it pretty mediocre now. It just compromises too much. You have to do this balancing act between getting the coil in it big enough to produce acceptably, but the bigger you go the more airflow is cut off, and the juice channels are small enough that you end up, in my experience, with a fairly small diameter coil that maxes out at 30-40 watts, even after filing out the juice channels some. It's just kind of an anemic experience. I'd honestly rather rebuild the stock heads than fiddle with the RBA. Just my opinion.
Try it again. When you go to install the coil, install it with the leads on the bottom side of the coil. I still wouldn't go over 2.5mm tho

RGBVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I'd put the Crown & the Herakles plus as neck & neck in the race for me. But I think the Crown is better by the slimmest of margins. And if you do get one, you can snag some 1.2ohm coils. It's a cooler vape & your batteries will last that much longer running a coil that's max range is 30ish watts
I'll consider that. Thanks!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry to hijack, but Im gonna get me some of these! Maybe ill start a thread when I get them. I am in the market for some coils...

Looks like the top unscrews, if so, it might be an easy one for rebuilding, kinda pricey tho.

AngiBe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HAHA - my Crius has been benched :p

Hey @AmandaD! I love my Crius still...what makes this one so much better? I keep hearing Griffin this and Griffin that. Is it a total LH tho? Speak to me girl! What's the scoop?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey @AmandaD! I love my Crius still...what makes this one so much better? I keep hearing Griffin this and Griffin that. Is it a total LH tho? Speak to me girl! What's the scoop?
I had issues with my crius but you may not. The Griffin has a bigger build deck, so you can put 3mm claptons in it (I use clapton wire), and it's easier to wick correctly for my vaping style. I can do either MTL or LH on anything but most people would say this is a LH tank.

AngiBe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had issues with my crius but you may not. The Griffin has a bigger build deck, so you can put 3mm claptons in it (I use clapton wire), and it's easier to wick correctly for my vaping style. I can do either MTL or LH on anything but most people would say this is a LH tank.

Thanks for the info!

RedDirtTrooper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anybody with a Gemini RTA want to compare it to the Griffin? I was all set to pull the trigger on a Griffin but now I'm torn.

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gemini has a smaller deck. Same Kennedy airflow and same wicking. Chamber is just smaller. Just buy a Griffin...or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you guys seen this? https://www.elementvape.com/moonshot-rta-by-sigelei
The only YouTube review I saw was a good flavor & cloud tank, possibly better than the Griffin RTA.
Now I'll have to wait and see what the consensus is.
Better than the Griffin?..that's a joke right?
Moonshot has small two post deck..Griffin has large velocity style deck..Moonshot has a tiny 2ml tank..Griff has 3.5..just those two features alone make the Moonshot a no-go right off the bat..least it's the way I see it...hard to beat the Griff..perfect as is all the way around

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

RedDirtTrooper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's deck sure doesn't look like much fun to build on to me. Leg holes down below the wall around the air inlets.

F

fckaugust8th

@Break-19 chill dude! Don't get yourself in a huff, admit the posibity that another tank can be better, at least in some respects. All I was saying was that the reviewer thought the flavor from moonshot was better. Considering the chimney and the connection to the top are shorter and possibly slightly larger diameter, it could very well give better flavor. It looks to be more of Pita to coil, but then again, I'm not going to use marine cables for my coils. I was asking if anyone has any idea about this one.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Break-19 chill dude! Don't get yourself in a huff, admit the posibity that another tank can be better, at least in some respects. All I was saying was that the reviewer thought the flavor from moonshot was better. Considering the chimney and the connection to the top are shorter and possibly slightly larger diameter, it could very well give better flavor. It looks to be more of Pita to coil, but then again, I'm not going to use marine cables for my coils. I was asking if anyone has any idea about this one.
OK..I'm chillin! Lol
But at the same time I wonder if you ever built or vaped the Griffin yourself ...but I'm chillin dude, like I'm outa here..
Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Is there something with clouds and flavor like the tfv4 but not as airy? Not a mtl tank or Kanger, but I want to feel a little resistance when I inhale.

Maybe another coil for tfv4, like the lower wattage stainless steel? Or, some other shiny new tank?

HDMontana

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is there something with clouds and flavor like the tfv4 but not as airy? Not a mtl tank or Kanger, but I want to feel a little resistance when I inhale.

Maybe another coil for tfv4, like the lower wattage stainless steel? Or, some other shiny new tank?
EHPro bachelor might be what your looking for. More air than Kanger subtank but less than the serpent. I feel it is slightly less airy than tfv4. Similar top fill.

HD

F

fckaugust8th

@Break-19 Sorry to say, I have no experience with the Griffin. I pretty much own the entire gamut of tanks UD put on the market but deep down I'm still a MTL vaper. The moment @raymo2u chimes in and even thinks the Griffin could be used for MTL, I'm joining the Griffin crowd:rolleyes:
I might just order one and see. Right now my time is spent with the Kabuki, Hurricane, Pico , Goblin mini and Goblin nano (FT product, smaller than the mini but a good tank for $8).
Cheers

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
EHPro bachelor might be what your looking for. More air than Kanger subtank but less than the serpent. I feel it is slightly less airy than tfv4. Similar top fill.

HD

Thanks, HD. I've had my eye on the bachelor, also because good to learn single coil build while using the semi prebuilt coils. They are advertised to be 10 for the price of 1 regular prebuilt coil, but so far I can't find anyone selling the coils. Maybe because the tank was released right before start of the Chinese New Year. But great hedge against potentially strict regulations. Also waiting for Vaporesso 0.5 Gemini tank coils, and the Coiltechvapor.com coils for Atlantis/Herakles and related.

I am in NH on business now. Unrelated, but the shops up here all now have the Triforce and Mutank. The Triforce is finally getting some love after being out for several months. Maybe CCI made some improvements. Back home I see the Arctic V8 and Coral instead, plus the Steam Engine and Serpent here and there.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@Break-19 Sorry to say, I have no experience with the Griffin. I pretty much own the entire gamut of tanks UD put on the market but deep down I'm still a MTL vaper. The moment @raymo2u chimes in and even thinks the Griffin could be used for MTL, I'm joining the Griffin crowd:rolleyes:
I might just order one and see. Right now my time is spent with the Kabuki, Hurricane, Pico , Goblin mini and Goblin nano (FT product, smaller than the mini but a good tank for $8).
Cheers
If you close the Airflow down to a round circle, use a flavor build and use the 510 adapter/drip tip you can use it MTL, it is a very versatile RTA. The airflow isnt that wide open on the RTA to begin with, the Griffin wide open is similar to the Twisted Messes RDA airflow cut down a half of a bump, and it can be closed down tight.
Im actually going to do this with one of my extra Griffins...I just tried it at a small perfect circle and its got a nice tight draw, but my build isnt for MTL and that makes the difference, using a 510 drip tip will also help concentrate the flavor and airway to make it a better experience.

F

fckaugust8th

@raymo2u Thank you for the advice. I was in VaporDNA today and since they were sold out of the griffin, I bought the last Moonshot! It is sort of a PITA to build but I've had worse. It is a very nice tank but not an MTL...at least not with some advice from those with more experience. The wicking is the easiest by far, now I have it sitting on it's side on a triple folded paper towel. I will try another build or two in the next few days and if I'm not happy, I'll sell it or trade it. The top fill is super easy, best of the ones I have.

F

fckaugust8th

Day two with the Moonshot. It leaked overnight:mad: but probably it was user error. New coils 30g Nichrome 10 wraps 2.5mm ID, wicked more carefully with scottish style cotton wicks. At 23 watts with the airflow open it is a cool, rich and flavorful vape...almost. With the airflow closed to a pin head it is a warm-ish flavorful MTL.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
F

fckaugust8th

One thing I noticed is that the space between the top of the chamber and the glass is very, very narrow so VG heavy juices will be very difficult to vape, there is one huge air bubble working its way but I think high VG juices will result in dry hits.

VU Sponsors