SvoëMesto Kayfun V5

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I don't know every type of wire, but I can only assume you're using something other than Kanthal. That would be a quandary if using other wire. Good to know since I haven't used mine yet.
PBusardo found that using Ti gave him the best flavor.

Mustang4Life

Member For 4 Years
First of all, thank you for your response. Currently I got 26g Kanthal in. I've also tried stainless steel and Nichrome 80. I am puzzled. I am familiar with the video you're referring to. Watched it twice LOL

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So, got the legendary Kayfun 5 from Origin Vape last week. Been experimenting with different builds - can't get a decent flavor (even my Subtask Plus RBA gives a much better flavor). I own the Hurricane and love the flavor from it. Tried a similar build - no luck. What am I doing wrong? TIA.
First of all, thank you for your response. Currently I got 26g Kanthal in. I've also tried stainless steel and Nichrome 80. I am puzzled. I am familiar with the video you're referring to. Watched it twice LOL
may just be your taste buds...
not sure how long you've been vaping also.if it were me, i would try 24g. the kf5 has a lot of airflow for usiung a thinner wire. I always use 26/34 Clapton or fused Clapton in my 5, i use the 28 and 26 in my mini v3. it could also be your power settin, you may need to kick it up ot down, depending.

not every tank will work for everyone.
when i first started, the layfun was so land it made me laugh at people who praised it, so i got a taifun and loved it.
i still like the taifun and hurricanes for lavor, they offer a more saturated vape.

Mustang4Life

Member For 4 Years
Thank you for the input. Tastebuds are just fine. I'm have the same juice in my other tanks: sub tank plus and the hurricane. They taste just fine there. Lemo 3 tastes fine too. But in Kayfun 5 The flavor is very muted. I wouldn't call the max airflow on it great. It's quite restrictive to me personally. But that's how I like it - restricted lung hit.

I also tried all the gauges of wire. 26 and 28 including. Tried Clapton's and twisted. I'm about to go mad I tell you LOL

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you for the input. Tastebuds are just fine. I'm have the same juice in my other tanks: sub tank plus and the hurricane. They taste just fine there. Lemo 3 tastes fine too. But in Kayfun 5 The flavor is very muted. I wouldn't call the max airflow on it great. It's quite restrictive to me personally. But that's how I like it - restricted lung hit.

I also tried all the gauges of wire. 26 and 28 including. Tried Clapton's and twisted. I'm about to go mad I tell you LOL
i wasn't saying something was wrong with your tastebuds,, only that we all taste things different from different aperatai.

frank hughes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, got the legendary Kayfun 5 from Origin Vape last week. Been experimenting with different builds - can't get a decent flavor (even my Subtask Plus RBA gives a much better flavor). I own the Hurricane and love the flavor from it. Tried a similar build - no luck. What am I doing wrong? TIA.
I had a similar issue but on the Kayfun Mini 3. What I did was push the wicks over a bit so that one juice hole in each juice well has no cotton covering it. Just stuff the wicks in like normal, not too much cotton. Then use your tweezers or small screwdriver push the cotton over to expose one of the holes in each well. I use a 50/50 blend and never have any leaking. Maybe a bit of gurgling with the fresh wick but it clears up after a few puffs. BTW the build is 28 gauge kanthal, 2.5 diameter, 7 wraps - ohms out to ~1.25 ohms. Hope that helps.

frank hughes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Frank, what wattage do you run that build at? Also do you space the coil?
For the Kayfun Mini v3 I usually run it at 12-14 watts - depends on the mod. Some mods run hotter than others. It's a standard micro coil, not spaced. I generally only use spaced coils for temp control builds. For a Kayfun 5, I build a 26 gauge kanthal, 2.5 mm, 7 wrap - that ohms to around 1ish ohms. Run that at around 15-17 watts.

Mustang4Life

Member For 4 Years
Well, put that build in both Kayfun 5 and my Hurricane. Hurricane runs and tasted beautifully with a nice strong TH (6mg nic juice), but Kayfun 5 is still muted albeit the flavor has improved slightly. After messing around with it for 4 days now I so tempted to sell it. Grrrrrrrr.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, put that build in both Kayfun 5 and my Hurricane. Hurricane runs and tasted beautifully with a nice strong TH (6mg nic juice), but Kayfun 5 is still muted albeit the flavor has improved slightly. After messing around with it for 4 days now I so tempted to sell it. Grrrrrrrr.
What do you want for it?

Mustang4Life

Member For 4 Years
What do you want for it?
Thank you for your interest. I'm gonna give it a try a couple of more days. I really love the craftsmanship and looks.

But if I don't succeed it's pointless to keep it. As far as price, I think It's fair to ask $100 it being less than a week old. Plus, I didn't even open and use any spare parts. Treat it with meticulous care and it'll be cleaned in Ultrasonic Cleaner before shipping. Box, receipt (from Origin Vape) - all included, of course.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you for your interest. I'm gonna give it a try a couple of more days. I really love the craftsmanship and looks.

But if I don't succeed it's pointless to keep it. As far as price, I think It's fair to ask $100 it being less than a week old. Plus, I didn't even open and use any spare parts. Treat it with meticulous care and it'll be cleaned in Ultrasonic Cleaner before shipping. Box, receipt (from Origin Vape) - all included, of course.
Well, ill consider it, but I paid 100 plus shipping on release day.

I'll tell you this much, I've bounced between kayfuns, taifuns, hurricanes, and aqua's since I started vaping 3 years ago. @KY_Rob and @Douglas H. Aiken have both done similar along the way with me.
I'm not sure how long you've been building or vaping, but one common thread with the tailfuns and hurricanes is the vape is much more saturated; hence flavorful with sweet vapes; because of the way the wick feeds,
Also, the hurricane is a shorter chimney, so the vape will be warmer.

If you're trying to get a near identical vape with the kayfun as you have in the hurricane, it will never happen.

I have both as well, I stick with pastry vapes in the kayfun or something with a pronounced flavor, and fruit or things with a more reserve flavor in the hurricane junior.

Its more of a 'right tool for the right job' sort of thing

Last edited:

Mustang4Life

Member For 4 Years
What you j
Well, ill consider it, but I paid 100 plus shipping on release day.

I'll tell you this much, I've bounced between kayfuns, taifuns, hurricanes, and aqua's since I started vaping 3 years ago. @KY_Rob and @Douglas H. Aiken have both done similar along the way with me.
I'm not sure how long you've been building or vaping, but one common thread with the tailfuns and hurricanes is the vape is much more saturated; hence flavorful with sweet vapes; because of the way the wick feeds,
Also, the hurricane is a shorts chimney, so the vape will be warmer.

If you're trying to get a near identical vape with the kayfun as you have in the hurricane, it will never happen.

I have both as well, I stick with pastry vapes in the kayfun or something with a pronounced flavor, and fruit or things with a more reserve flavor in the hurricane junior.

Its more of a 'right tool for the right job' sort of thing
Thank you! What you just said makes perfect sense to me. I do enjoy more saturated vape. (Thus my crazy love for Subtanks) LOL ...I just put some Caramel Apple Crisp (from Dawn at Adore Liquids). It's a really in-your-face strong juice. It tastes pretty good in Kayfun5. But, of course, not as saturated as I like. So, the moral - we live and learn:)

Thanks again - I learned something today!

By the way, I've been vaping for only 6 months, but went from a complete noob (eGo AIO) to Building my own Claptons along with other coils and using mech mods (tubes and boxes). Absolutely LOVE my Titan V3!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What you j

Thank you! What you just said makes perfect sense to me. I do enjoy more saturated vape. (Thus my crazy love for Subtanks) LOL ...I just put some Caramel Apple Crisp (from Dawn at Adore Liquids). It's a really in-your-face strong juice. It tastes pretty good in Kayfun5. But, of course, not as saturated as I like. So, the moral - we live and learn:)

Thanks again - I learned something today!

By the way, I've been vaping for only 6 months, but went from a complete noob (eGo AIO) to Building my own Claptons along with other coils and using mech mods (tubes and boxes). Absolutely LOVE my Titan V3!

Lol
Its a process, you're learning what you like. We have all been there. SOME of us (myself included) just buy one of everything to try it.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@f1r3b1rd you're spot on dude. Couldn't have said it better myself.

@Coach Nat, the Kayfun 5 isn't for everyone. I tried to love it. I even tried to like it. Alas, KF5's went to shelf. Back to the KF4's for me. Wasn't even about the flavor for me (KF4 & KF5 worked about the same in that regard). My issue(s) concern juice capacity and...ehem...retention...as in, KF5 was a weepy leaking little bitch...I digress :D

Douglas H. Aiken

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I wasn't bowled over by the K5 when I 1st got it, but it has grown on me.
Good thing, since I have 4 of them now.
I like a variety of vape experiences, so I keep well over a dozen different setups in daily rotation.
I would describe the K5 as one of the best all around RTAs out there.
It is not spectacular in some areas, but it rates highest in more areas than any other RTA I have tried.
Although it isn't perfect at everything, but isn't bad at anything.
If I was forced to choose one atty style for the Vapocalypse, it would probably be this one.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, KF5 is going to get one more shot...It appears that Svoëmesto has released a "rounded barrel" SS tank section, that increases the capacity to ~6ml. That's enough to get me through 24hrs. VapinArt has them for $15ish, so I'm gonna give it a try. Still have a 6month+ juice supply to get through, so why not?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Lol... and I want a bell cap for it
Ok, KF5 is going to get one more shot...It appears that Svoëmesto has released a "rounded barrel" SS tank section, that increases the capacity to ~6ml. That's enough to get me through 24hrs. VapinArt has them for $15ish, so I'm gonna give it a try. Still have a 6month+ juice supply to get through, so why not?

thewarm

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I tried the V4... too many parts. I really like the V5, but I wish they kept the air-flow like the V3 mini.

So my wish for the V6 would be to have the fantastic build deck of the V5 with a set it and forget it air-flow setup like the V3 mini!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
[
I tried the V4... too many parts. I really like the V5, but I wish they kept the air-flow like the V3 mini.

So my wish for the V6 would be to have the fantastic build deck of the V5 with a set it and forget it air-flow setup like the V3 mini!
It's not the restricted draw I'm after. I want less moving parts!

oh I was confused, I thought you wanted the v5 with the airflow of the v3

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The many parts of KF4 never really bothered me. I've owned mine pretty much since their release (and used almost constantly), and I've only torn them down all the way, maybe three times. I remove the deck during a coil build and give it a good rinse, but other than that, I've only did a complete tear down to replace an o-ring (once), and only for a complete cleaning when a spare tank is swapped out for storage.
I never understood all of the dislike and fear over the pieces-parts. Svoëmesto could have easily said it was a 4 or 5 piece system (which for 99% of general use it is), and nobody would have said a word about complexity. Oh well, to each their own I suppose. I just don't get it.
IMO, KF5 is truly fewer parts, and so far for me, lesser performance.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just brought the KF5 back out (stashed it in June, 'cause performance was tweaking me), installed the new 6ml steel tank, and put in a fresh SS/Rayon build.
I'd forgotten that the flavor from KF5 was a bit more intense than KF4 for me, which is a good thing. So far, so good.
My issues were always with leaking, especially after closing down the JFC and reopening the flow. I despised the "dampness" that was just above the AFC ring, and having to deal with that twice a day for filling...ugh.
I really really really want to like this tank. Fingers crossed!!!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just brought the KF5 back out (stashed it in June, 'cause performance was tweaking me), installed the new 6ml steel tank, and put in a fresh SS/Rayon build.
I'd forgotten that the flavor from KF5 was a bit more intense than KF4 for me, which is a good thing. So far, so good.
My issues were always with leaking, especially after closing down the JFC and reopening the flow. I despised the "dampness" that was just above the AFC ring, and having to deal with that twice a day for filling...ugh.
I really really really want to like this tank. Fingers crossed!!!
Hope it stops for you. I use max vg which COULD be a reason I dont get that. -not sure

But......6ml tank?

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But......6ml tank?

Yes sir! Svoëmesto came out with a "barrel" type steel tank section just before 8/8, that is advertised to hold 6ml, but I got nearly 7ml's without going over the top of the grate. Basically, the same fill performance as a KF4 with long mode parts. VapinArt had them in stock late last week, so I pulled the trigger. This is a great thing for me!
image.jpg

So far so good for the last couple of hours. The test will come when I head out the door to meet a buddy of mine for lunch. In June, when KF5 would hit high temps and humidity, then back into the AC, it would purge. Fingers crossed!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes sir! Svoëmesto came out with a "barrel" type steel tank section just before 8/8, that is advertised to hold 6ml, but I got nearly 7ml's without going over the top of the grate. Basically, the same fill performance as a KF4 with long mode parts. VapinArt had them in stock late last week, so I pulled the trigger. This is a great thing for me!
View attachment 60990

So far so good for the last couple of hours. The test will come when I head out the door to meet a buddy of mine for lunch. In June, when KF5 would hit high temps and humidity, then back into the AC, it would purge. Fingers crossed!
Damn ... the 'bulbous steal tank
hahaha

Check this out.
http://www.cremedevape.com/epages/y...ng=steam&FacetValue_Manufacturer=Steam+Tuners

VU Sponsors