Become a Patron!

The Atheists Thread...A place for Logical, Rational and Scientific thinking with facts

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This Thread isn't meant to bash or offend Religions, Religious People or People who believe in the Supernatural,Astrology or superstitions and other things that can't be proven so please show respect to others who do believe in them here....In other words..TALK ABOUT THE IDEOLOGY AND NOT THE "INDIVIDUAL" HERE but this is a place where people who don't believe in such illogical, unproven, irrational things... This is a place to hang out to discus and post things that interest you and that you would like to share with fact's with others with similar thoughts or outlooks on life ie..Science, Politics, Views or just how the world is to you
So with that said I'll start off with something that got me started on my road to Logical, Rational and Scientific thinking and always seeking the truth
I found this some time ago on YT but knew about the facts since High School in Religious Studies:eek::)...The High School was in England and I know this kinda thing would never be teched in any School that I know of in the US but maybe in a Collage or University here ...This Video goes into a lot more detail then what my teacher taught us or maybe I forgot a lot of stuff she said (It was a long time ago) but it's all about the same thing in detail...Connecting the dots in a Logical, Rational and fact way
This is all based on Proven Facts of the History of Ancient Astrology, Superstitions and the believes of early man that has brought religion to what is it today

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Also this by Richard Dawkins

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am not religious, but my logical, rational and scientific thinking has led me to believe that the universe, it's contents and the rules that exist within it didn't suddenly appear from nothing and for no reason. It all seems pretty intentional to me. You can not believe in religion, but still believe the creation of the universe was on purpose. Thinking that there was nothing and then from nothing and for no reason there was a Big Bang and suddenly their was everything is in my opinion just as ridiculous as some of the religious stories of creation.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I believe in a higher power and I do believe I have seen it manifest in the course of my lifetime on a personal level that I will not share in this thread.

But I also believe in your right to express your own opinions and viewpoint.

So go for it!

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This Thread isn't meant to bash or offend Religions, Religious People or People who believe in the Supernatural,Astrology or superstitions and other things that can't be proven so please show respect to other who do believe in them but this is a place where people who don't believe in such illogical, unproven, irrational things... This is a place to hang out to discus and post things that interest you and that you would like to share with fact's with others with similar thoughts or outlooks on life ie..Science, Politics, Views or just how the world is to you
So with that said I'll start off with something that got me started on my road to Logical, Rational and Scientific thinking and always seeking the truth
I found this some time ago on YT but knew about the facts since High School in Religious Studies:eek::)...The High School was in England and I know this kinda thing would never be teched in any School that I know of in the US but maybe in a Collage or University here ...This Video goes into a lot more detail then what my teacher taught us or maybe I forgot a lot of stuff she said (It was a long time ago) but it's all about the same thing in detail...Connecting the dots in a Logical, Rational and fact way
This is all based on Proven Facts of the History of Ancient Astrology, Superstitions and the believes of early man that has brought religion to what is it today

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

This wasnt meant to be offensive?
:confused:

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
200_s.gif

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
IMHO, let him be.

He is entitled to his beliefs as much as we are entitled to our own.

I personally do not believe in cloud chasing, not my thing.

But if that is what you need that is fine by me as well.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IMHO, let him be.

He is entitled to his beliefs as much as we are entitled to our own.

I personally do not believe in cloud chasing, not my thing.

But if that is what you need that is fine by me as well.
Oh, he's fine.. can post and or saying anything he wants.. I fought and am disabled so he can do exactly that..

Just thought it was funny how he started, and then proceeded to do what he said he wasnt trying to do :)

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This Thread isn't meant to bash or offend .... but this is a place where people who don't believe in such illogical, unproven, irrational things...

memestache.com_166416_1334332807.jpg

LOL.... but hey! This is VU, so have your say..... I'll simply offer that some of the leaps of faith the religion of science demands we take make a virgin birth seem pretty plausible and ordinary by comparison....

And I'll end with:
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is all the fact you need. Something can not be created from nothing. God said he always was and always will be no man will ever know how he will became. Fact one it would take something to make something. Fact two it would have to take something that has always existed to create all. Fact three try to think how that something became in existence. You can't try it you can't. You can think how anything can be made but the one and only one thing and that is the one thing God said you will never know, and that is how he became. Simple. Now if you really tried to think how he became I know what you thought and it was nothing your mind went blank. Just like God said.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Atheists find the idea of faith in a supreme being illogical, unproven and irrational.

How is saying that any more offensive or insulting than someone religious expressing what they believe?!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Faith is a matter of the heart, the heart know nothing of logic or rationale...that is of the brain. So that being said...in matters of faith, logic and factuality have no place.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It is kinda a chicken or the egg issue, where it all started, that is. I just won't even claim to have a clue. Where did the Big Bang come from, if it was a god, did he or she magically appear, too. It's just about as possible to me that were some alien beings snow globe of sorts. I don't really believe that, but in my mind it's just as logical as any explanation. Thinking about the initial creation of the universe can cause a circular pattern and create a headache.

I'm not religious, I have no problem with religion, as long as it isn't pushed on me or into my life. Additionally, it too often is used to judge, persecute, and vilify people, groups of people, or other assorted things, and that I'm not ok with. It is my understanding that god is supposed to judge, but I see a lot of humans using religion to do just that.

Ideally, organized religion would not exist, and individual faith would, IMO. That is what should truly matter after all, your faith and what not. I choose not to believe, but if I saw or felt or whatever something that proved me wrong, I wouldn't ignore it. For now, and a long time now, I'm just me, and I wish religion wouldn't cause so much trouble, and be the vehicle for peace that if it exists it should be.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
<<<has ENORMOUS problems with religion! To be honest....I do not find any real value in over-examining the origins of things...I find greater (critical) need in focusing on where we are GOING.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not religious, I have no problem with religion, as long as it isn't pushed on me or into my life. Additionally, it too often is used to judge, persecute, and vilify people, groups of people, or other assorted things, and that I'm not ok with. It is my understanding that god is supposed to judge, but I see a lot of humans using religion to do just that.
I agree. If you replace "religious/religion" with "atheist/atheism" in the above quote, I agree with that also.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ooooh... i'll start a ass to mouth thread, because I can! no offence to you missionary people out there, but it is awesome!!!!! Im just joking, ladies.
But really though? your first op is full of bashing. I applaude your advanced trolling capabilities, and I will play no part. If they wont ban you, I will ignore you .
I am neither religious or atheist

Last edited:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I agree. If you replace "religious/religion" with "atheist/atheism" in the above quote, I agree with that also.
Agreed. Be yourself, believe the way you choose, worship how you choose, whatever that way may be. Faith is a very personal thing, after all. Organizing and having rules and people tell you how to believe can get dangerous.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wow just wow!...I can't and really don't want to answer a lot of theses posts...I was hoping this kinda shit wasn't going to happen here but I should have known better... But I will be back later to debate a few posts here

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just passing through here , but this dude has an opinion , ok ,no big deal . He is not chopping heads off or killing women and children , what's the big deal . Rules of the forum followed , and the Constitution , don't like it fine, move on . I find it laughable to talk about religion ,in a vapers forum though . LMAO.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is all the fact you need. Something can not be created from nothing.
God said he always was and always will be no man will ever know how he will became. Fact one it would take something to make something. Fact two it would have to take something that has always existed to create all. Fact three try to think how that something became in existence. You can't try it you can't. You can think how anything can be made but the one and only one thing and that is the one thing God said you will never know, and that is how he became. Simple. Now if you really tried to think how he became I know what you thought and it was nothing your mind went blank. Just like God said.

First you say: "Something can not be created from nothing."
Then you say: "God said he always was and always will be."
If god is a thing, then he had to be created. Otherwise, he is not a thing and does not exist

If god said: "no man will ever know how he will became" then it means there was something before him, something that created him. After all, you said "it would take something to make something"

"it would have to take something that has always existed to create all"
So that thing that was in existence created the god that you believe created all? That's like a snake eating it's own tail forever, or an infinate loop in programming. Or, saying the first chicken hatched out of the first egg that was lain by the first chicken. Going back in time and screwing your grandmother so you are your own grandfather.

You pretty much just typed a whole lot of hypocritical stuff that completely counteracts all the stuff you say is true. If god came to be, then he is a thing that was created. That means he is not the highest power because something had to create him.

The only true fact is that humans will never know what created the universe as it can not be proven.

Last edited:

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Faith is a matter of the heart, the heart know nothing of logic or rationale...that is of the brain. So that being said...in matters of faith, logic and factuality have no place.

The heart is just a lump of muscle working as a pump, wih a simple control line from the brain to make it go slower. That we know. So I'd say faith is a matter of some aspect of the brain (an organ about which we know so little), whatever name you'd care to give it. :)

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The heart is just a lump of muscle working as a pump, wih a simple control line from the brain to make it go slower. That we know. So I'd say faith is a matter of some aspect of the brain (an organ about which we know so little), whatever name you'd care to give it. :)
Commonly held opinion that :)

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It is kinda a chicken or the egg issue, where it all started, that is

Pretty simple: The Egg.
As creatures were laying eggs before chickens evolved. :p

-edit-
ok, for the religious folk of the thread:
if your religious, the chicken came first because god snapped his fingers and one poofed into existence to lay eggs for adam and eve to raise before turning to incest and starting all of humanity.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can be a non-atheist and still believe in evolution. And how is thinking god poofed everything into existence any more rediculous than thinking nothing poofed everything into existence? There are more than two options. Some people's beliefs are not on either extreme, but somewhere in the middle.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Opinion? Would you lose your faith if you had an atheist's heart transplanted in place of yours? :p
Would a truthful answer have a legitimate purpose....or would it only serve an agenda. Before we go any further....I am an Avowed Franciscan minister....but not one that can be baited. I am not here to bicker belief or dogma...I have enough of that to do out on the streets :)

bobsyeruncle

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Um, religion and politics are pretty much guaranteed to offend. I don't see how this thread is going to be any different. Even if, I would hope, "A place for Logical, Rational and Scientific thinking with facts" shouldn't be exclusive to atheists.

Anyone here like Pikkiwoki, the Papua New Guinean mud god? A pig and all the coconuts you can carry?

2RKp3Ss.jpg

http://www.27bslash6.com/A17.html

Last edited:

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Would a truthful answer have a legitimate purpose....or would it only serve an agenda. Before we go any further....I am an Avowed Franciscan minister....but not one that can be baited. I am not here to bicker belief or dogma...I have enough of that to do out on the streets :)

Seems you're reading more into my words than I meant. Agenda, baiting, bickering... I'm not sure where you found those in my silly pedantry over your use of the word 'heart'! It was a rhetorical question; obviously replacing your pump wouldn't change your faith. Perhaps it's an interesting thought experiment to think what would happen if just a 'heart' (as you meant it) could be transplanted, leaving all else the same... but then that would be opinion, and/or the stuff of horror films :)

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nahh...you all have a good night, and enjoy the thread.

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow just wow!...I can't and really don't want to answer a lot of theses posts...I was hoping this kinda shit wasn't going to happen here but I should have known better... But I will be back later to debate a few posts here
BS.. You knew what you were posting...And what would happen..

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I enjoy cordial debate and love to be challenged- it actually strengthens my faith because I am forced to examine the reasons I believe...
First, I have a very questioning, scientific mind and approach things from a logical standpoint.
That said, I'm also a Christian and have gratefully accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior.
To me, it's exactly the same as love. Prove that love is real. From a realistic point of view, it can't be done but a parent whose heart melts at the smile of their baby needs no empirical evidence- they know.
A man who cannot imagine life without his wife and would gladly, without hesitation, sacrifice anything for her, doesn't need a published article in Scientific American to know it's real.
Those that have never loved explain it away as the result of chemicals in the brain that produce a euphoric feeling. The more cynical ones simply say it's a lie- a delusion to fulfill a deeper need within ourselves.
I happen to know that love is real and it's powerful and it's life changing. It's life affirming.
Faith is the same. I don't need to be able to dissect it, to study it's molecular structure, to touch it to have it touch me.

I'm glad you're here and I'm glad you started this thread. I will be following it eagerly and hope that there are some really good exchanges of ideas to keep me thinking.
Have a wonderful night, my friends.

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I applaude your advanced trolling capabilities, and I will play no part. If they wont ban you, I will ignore you .

And that, is brilliant. No, you already know we won't ban him..... this place was founded with the freedom to express yourself as a critical value.... even if that means people want to start incendiary threads that typically just cause trouble and division.

What's brilliant about your post is that you're willing to make use of one of the greatest powers a VU member has-- that being the ability to make anyone that they find offensive simply disappear from their forum experience! We won't muzzle anyone from speaking their mind, but each and every member has the power to create a forum experience that they enjoy by removing folks they don't want to listen to from their personal view.

Kudos to you @angus67 , and please continue to enjoy the forum :)

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Basically i don't see a reason to make a big deal out of something i can't prove and makes no sense.

As i see it, all religions were invented by a few smart people, in order to control a lot of .... people (feel free to fill the blank with something that you don't find offensive)

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Basically i don't see a reason to make a big deal out of something i can't prove and makes no sense.

As i see it, all religions were invented by a few smart people, in order to control a lot of .... people (feel free to fill the blank with something that you don't find offensive)
But it does make sense the same way that love makes sense to someone in love.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
On the 7th day, god created the mvp 20watt and the evod tank.

But on a more serious note...Im not one who goes to church on sundays nor one who prays at bedside before bed..I do think "Something"created the universe and all things that reside in it.

I hear stories of people in near death experiences laying in hospitals and when they awake talk about how they saw a big bright light and heard voices of angels...Ok, so ones belief has led the mind to think this as we are in more of a dream state when injured enough to be unconscious.

So my thoughts are this on such stories or cases...When you are out cold your mind is in a sub conscious state..This means you have really no control over what it feeds itself information wise...Just like you dont control your dreams...Now sometimes we can hear conscious sounds that play a part in our dreams..Such as an alarm clock sound that was part of your dream just before it wakes you up..or a loud noise you thought was part of your dream...Maybe a voice.

With this in mind, i recall reading about most in near death experiences speaking of bright lights and voices of angels speaking to them...Doctors shine a light into ones eyes to check you for any number of things including death...No reaction to light on the pupils means bad things...This may very well be this bright light many claim to have seen.

Voices of angels?...Many doctors and assistants and possibly family members can be in a room at the same time speaking..Hence voices you may hear ...voices of angels ?or the mind picking up sounds consciously but in a subconscious state of mind as with an alarm clock or a sound or a voice while dreaming?

There are too many version of the same "god"as this is why i dont particularly choose one and believe in it...Which one is true?..which one changed things to suit others beliefs so they might choose there version?.

The only real fact i have here is someone who has died for a long enough period has never returned to prove anything and they never will...Only those who have died and stayed dead knows if there is anything life after death and it will always be that way.

Death can be a scary thing for most and i believe that believing in life after death or any version of heaven appeases a persons mind and lessens the fright of death.

Do i hope there may be a heaven? .. yes.
If you believe in a heaven then you must believe in a hell as well as they go together.

Me?..i just believe when you are dead you no longer exist except in a persons mind.

Just my .02 cents.

bobsyeruncle

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny love was used as an analogy for making sense.

Cracked said:
#5. Love Makes Us Go Blind (Figuratively)
We actually become physically incapable of detecting the flaws in the things we love. Apparently, human biology believes it necessary to throw the blinders on in order for our species to survive -- we have a biological imperative to lower our standards.
#4. Our Brains Steer Us Toward the Worst Possible Match
However, if the timeless ballad of Paula Abdul and MC Skat Kat has taught us anything, it's that certain people are only attracted to their complete opposites. It turns out this isn't just a product of terrible decision-making -- there's a neurochemical process at work here that they can do absolutely nothing about it.
#3. Love Suddenly Makes Awkward People Social
And yes, it is another of the body's cruel paradoxes -- you don't get the chemicals that attract partners until after you've attracted a partner.
#2. Love Makes Everything Taste Sweeter (Literally)
So why the hell does this happen? Simple: The brain is an incredible organ capable of doing very complex operations, but it is also embarrassingly easy to confuse. You see, thinking about love and romance activates the anticipation and reward region of the brain, which we assume shows up in neon pastels on an MRI. The same region is also activated when we taste sugar.
#1. A Couple's Bodies Synchronize in All Sorts of Weird Ways
For example, when a man is in love with a woman, he will automatically walk slower when he's with her to match her shorter stride, but won't do the same for a female he's merely friends with. "But Cracked," you say, "that's just common courtesy! What kind of a dick makes his girl chase him through the park?" Wait, it gets weirder.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20999_5-terrifying-ways-being-in-love-chemically-impairs-you.html

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
First you say: "Something can not be created from nothing."
Then you say: "God said he always was and always will be."
If god is a thing, then he had to be created. Otherwise, he is not a thing and does not exist

If god said: "no man will ever know how he will became" then it means there was something before him, something that created him. After all, you said "it would take something to make something"

"it would have to take something that has always existed to create all"
So that thing that was in existence created the god that you believe created all? That's like a snake eating it's own tail forever, or an infinate loop in programming. Or, saying the first chicken hatched out of the first egg that was lain by the first chicken. Going back in time and screwing your grandmother so you are your own grandfather.

You pretty much just typed a whole lot of hypocritical stuff that completely counteracts all the stuff you say is true. If god came to be, then he is a thing that was created. That means he is not the highest power because something had to create him.

The only true fact is that humans will never know what created the universe as it can not be proven.
OK so did your mind go blank did you try. can you think of what makes it rain, how plastic in made, how a camera works well I bet you could. Now lets try something here. Lets just say you think a creator named God exists. You think how he became and write it down here and we will make it simple one sentence will do.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't know. We will never know how everything started. You can make up some imaginary being to fill that void of unknowning, emptiness, and anything else that can't be easily explained all you want, but it doesn't make him real and it doesn't make it truth.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since people are self centered, it's hard for them to to accept the fact that they are just a small screw in a big machine and that when looking at the big picture, their life as an individual is meaningless.
Adding a big plan and a directing force makes it easier for them.

VU Sponsors