Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I finally received this yesterday but was too lazy to post :p My first impression is Wow, what a nice piece BUT..
it is also a strange mash up of the authentic Variant. Limwell cloned the V1 Slim box and body which is made of 304 grade stainless like the V1 Variant Fat and Slim

FJPPUQe.jpg

But then they changed the pre-advertised body logo from the V1 VA logo, to the Titanium Slim logo?? Why? It is not made from Titanium (confirmed), and quite frankly I prefer the more subtle V1 VA logo. In my opinion using the Titanium logo on a device not made from that material is a marketing ERROR. Also the Titanium Slim comes in a silver box, not the black V1 box.

I love the gift box btw, very nice .. This device is very heavy and solid feeling, and in terms of the quality of the construction it definitely has a high end feel to it. Just wish that it didn't have that Titanium logo :( It weighs 300 grams without a battery, and 344.7 grams with a battery installed.

uZpsrXH.jpg

The lipo battery is a bit of challenge to install, tuck the wires and install the back sliding cover. The battery of life of the lipo is very good, even as 1200mah rating would lead one to believe that it wouldn't last very long. The 8.4V and 35c rating of the battery has everything to do with that. However I am sure that if this device is used to full capacity the battery would be very short in life.

P9HYc2C.jpg

Over the course of the next week I will be checking to see if any of the many chip bugs and defects that are plagueing the authentic Titanium slim are present on the clone. So far I can at least verify that the clone does not have the excessive battery drain when powered off flaw that the authentic Ti Slim has been confirmed to have.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh man... been waiting for someone to use RC hobby batteries in these things and this looks like the day has come. Looks like deans battery connectors for quick change and fast charging on a rc charger.

Bet you could go to hobbyking and grab a couple 50c discharge batteries for cheap... like probably $10 and have a really nice setup.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Oh man... been waiting for someone to use RC hobby batteries in these things and this looks like the day has come. Looks like deans battery connectors for quick change and fast charging on a rc charger.

Bet you could go to hobbyking and grab a couple 50c discharge batteries for cheap... like probably $10 and have a really nice setup.

The Variant authentic and clone actually uses a micro deans connector which is the least common found in RC hobby shops. I just had a 1300 mah Zippy lipo delivered today with a Deans ultra, for which I got a micro to Dean adapter for but its all to big to fit inside the Variant.

I was trying to avoid having to solder the micro dean myself to any RC batteries, but it looks like that is what I will have to anyway .. as will everyone else. I wish Vicious Ant would have used a more common connector like the EC3 which I think would fit well inside.

The other thing to consider is that the Slim is limited to 2s cells because there is a 12mm thick, 74mm long, and 34mm wide limit. The battery I got is 25c, but I do have a 50c Zippy lipo in my saved list. :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure when you solder the micro connector on the battery you do one wire at a time. Remove red, solder red on the micro. Remove black, solder black on the micro.

If you have both wires unsolderd at the same time 99% chance they will touch and you should be recycling the battery and buying another if that happens.

With the higher voltage 2s it should last a while even though the mah is low the amp draw should be lower with higher voltage. Getting excited about this one :D

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Make sure when you solder the micro connector on the battery you do one wire at a time. Remove red, solder red on the micro. Remove black, solder black on the micro.

If you have both wires unsolderd at the same time 99% chance they will touch and you should be recycling the battery and buying another if that happens.

With the higher voltage 2s it should last a while even though the mah is low the amp draw should be lower with higher voltage. Getting excited about this one :D

Thank you kindly for this very valuable tip because I did not realize that if the wires touch while soldering that it would destroy the battery. As I do with everything else, I will be watching a ton of tutorial, readings and taking much needed advice from people like you. :)

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just curious would it not be easier to change the connector on the mod so you could use the more popular connector?

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Just curious would it not be easier to change the connector on the mod so you could use the more popular connector?

I have considered this as well, and I am weighing both sides. First it utterly confused me as to why Vicious Ant used the most unpopular connection type with the micro deans, but I think it has to do with available space inside of the device. I have a Deans ultra connection on hand and I could see how difficult it would be for this to fit into the small space remaining to tuck the wires. So that I why I think I need to stay with the micro deans.

But now I need someone to explain the difference between a polarized and non polarized connector, so I know which type to buy as I have seen micro deans sold as both.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You want (female) polarized, non polarized doesn't care if + plugs to - or +.
Polarized can only be plugged in one way...
+ to + and - to -.

Deans micro is a good plug that will outlast the mod and has very low resistance and probably the smallest high amp plug available to fit in there. The wire in the mod shouldn't be that thick so it should be easy to solder to the plug.

Just one wire at a time, be very conscious about not touching the wires. Done it before, one hell of a spark and within a couple days the pack puffed up like a blow fish. I knew better and was in a rush, hate it when you know better but do it anyway :D

Good thing is you will be picking up batteries for $5 to $8.

Last edited:

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
You want (female) polarized, non polarized doesn't care if + plugs to - or +.
Polarized can only be plugged in one way...
+ to + and - to -.

Deans micro is a good plug that will outlast the mod and has very low resistance and probably the smallest high amp plug available to fit in there. The wire in the mod shouldn't be that thick so it should be easy to solder to the plug.

Just one wire at a time, be very conscious about not touching the wires. Done it before, one hell of a spark and within a couple days the pack puffed up like a blow fish. I knew better and was in a rush, hate it when you know better but do it anyway :D

Good thing is you will be picking up batteries for $5 to $8.

Thanks for your help, I needed it, and will also pass it along. This is definitely a device better suited for the "hobbyist" which is not a bad thing, but a lot that one needs to know, and some extra equipment to pick up that some like myself may not already have. I am literally loading up my cart with wire cutter/strippers, soldering tool, and micro deans connectors right now.

I have to remove the existing Deans ultra from the lipo that I bought today, shorten the wire a bit (too long), and then strip the ends in preparing for soldering on the micro deans .. and I will do one wire at time as you so wisely suggested. :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know, hobbyking is like fasttech. You can find lots of random stuff to pack the cart up real fast.

Like you said, watch some micro deans vids for some best practices. Get solder on the wires first, heat the deans post, drop of solder on the post, put the wire on the deans post and press the iron down on the wire, see the solder flow onto the post and you're done.

Deans will not take heat for too long, just a couple seconds on the posts then after you place the wire, as soon as you see the solder flow from the wire to post, pull iron off and blow to cool it fast.

Keep your heat shrink tube as far as you can from the heat.

Jealous, I may need one of these now :)

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On soldering guns/pens... get a higher power one... the faster you can heat up the wire/connector and get off of it with the heat the better. Low power ones end up heating up a lot more of the wire/connector because they take so long to heat them up and the heat then has more time to spread.

When soldering the connector... plug the matching connector to it... this holds the connections straight while you are soldering. Leave the other connector on until everything has cooled down.

I don't consider the Micro Deans as being "high power" coming from the RC hobby side of things... It's rated ( by others, Deans doesn't rate their connectors ) for about 10-12a max... I've used them up to 15a bursts without issue. The Ultra Deans are rated about 40-60a depending on who you ask and are often used in up to 100a situations ( burst again ). The burst values are for several seconds ( 5-10 perhaps ) only... The ratings I mentioned are subjective and depend on the gauge of wired used, how good of a solder job and other factors... this is why Deans doesn't post a rating for them, it varies by application too much for a definite rating.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For their size they are, try running the power this mod will pull through a jst plug ;)

I don't think anything more than a cheapo weller pen or any regular old soldering setup will be needed with the wire gauge that these small lipos come wired with. 12g or 10g, different story.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally... I like Weller products and don't think of them as cheap.... but what I was referring to was the power level so it can heat up the solder job quickly. A 60w output ( cheap or otherwise ) should be enough... no need for a $100 or up soldering station for this type of work. A 40w would do but like I mentioned... you'd end up heating things up more and I like to get on and off of the solder job quicker when possible.... BTW... jst plugs are certainly over rated :D

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I know, hobbyking is like fasttech. You can find lots of random stuff to pack the cart up real fast.

Like you said, watch some micro deans vids for some best practices. Get solder on the wires first, heat the deans post, drop of solder on the post, put the wire on the deans post and press the iron down on the wire, see the solder flow onto the post and you're done.

Deans will not take heat for too long, just a couple seconds on the posts then after you place the wire, as soon as you see the solder flow from the wire to post, pull iron off and blow to cool it fast.

Keep your heat shrink tube as far as you can from the heat.

Jealous, I may need one of these now :)

Yes I have visited the Hobbyking website several times now because it is the one that I see links shared for most often in the Vicious Ant private groups that I have been lurking in for the last week. Lots of interesting info and feedback there on the authentic Variant ... enough to write a full blown expose really :p

I have already watched a couple of soldering videos and I feel confident that I will be fine. I usually keep watching and watching so that each step is well ingrained in my mind. I will be ordering my tools and supplies today :D

And now you have to get one so we can hobby it up together :p And since you are more familiar with handling lipos than I am your input and feedback would be so valuable to others as well ;)

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
For their size they are, try running the power this mod will pull through a jst plug ;)

I don't think anything more than a cheapo weller pen or any regular old soldering setup will be needed with the wire gauge that these small lipos come wired with. 12g or 10g, different story.

Yes, early on I was looking at JST plugs because of their small slim size but I read that 5A is the most that this plug could handle so I cancelled that idea. If this clone was of the Variant Fat then I could do a Deans ultra no problem, but the Slim is -5mm in depth so realistically the micro deans is the best fit. In the pics above you can see that the micro is snug fit.

The Zippy lipo that I got does have thicker gauge wire (14 AWG) than what came with the Variant lipo...

Personally... I like Weller products and don't think of them as cheap.... but what I was referring to was the power level so it can heat up the solder job quickly. A 60w output ( cheap or otherwise ) should be enough... no need for a $100 or up soldering station for this type of work. A 40w would do but like I mentioned... you'd end up heating things up more and I like to get on and off of the solder job quicker when possible.... BTW... jst plugs are certainly over rated :D

I have a 60W soldering kit already in cart, I figured it would be powerful enough for what I am doing. And it comes with 6 ft of 20 gauge rosin core wire too :D

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is the soldering station that I've been using for about 5 years now without issue (weller for probably 20 yrs previous to that) and it gets to a little under 900°. A little easter egg on the HK site,if you sit on the item page for a minute a discount will pop up. If you leave the page it's gone... clean cookies and cashe then go back to the item page and if you wait the discount comes back.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=19240
That will definitely get a fast heat transfer like rdsok is advocating. And it's less $$ than a weller (nothing wrong with wellers but for the price...).

I wouldn't say that anyone needs to go out and buy any other soldering iron than what they have, 14g is not thick wire and just about any iron will get it hot fast enough to not melt the deans. Full size deans and 12g or bigger wire is a pain and you have to have a real hot iron but that's not what we are dealing with here.

I just don't want anyone to get intimidated by these posts, there's nothing to soldering and you don't need a professional setup (as rdsok also said you don't, I agree).

And for a couple bucks these are worth their weight in gold http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10615__Hands_free_small_item_holder.html

Last edited:

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A good soldering station does have advantages... Adjustable power output and more importantly, a well grounded tip to help ensure that you don't damage ESD sensitive components which most cheap units don't provide... General soldering as most people will need doesn't require those features. For my own work, I do own a good Weller station since I also use it to make repairs to computer components.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I used to solder in my high school metal workshop class :D But that was some time ago :p

Soldering these connections are looks really simple, so I am not intimidated at all, just have to be mindful of what you are doing .. But it worth mentioning that you can buy the 1200 mah lipo which is 35c/45a rated with the necessary micro deans pre-installed from Limwell/Psmoke, and so far I feel like its a really good battery. It just that I feel their pricing is a little high for it is all .. They are asking $15pc wholesale.

Happy Thanksgiving btw fq06 and rdsok :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Happy Turkey Day to you too!
Food coma kicking in, family hasn't left yet, need coffee :D

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So is clone the fat version or the slim? If its the fat checkout maxamps you get the batteries with microdeans. Being an owner of the authentic v1 fat and titantium i am currious how these compare to the original

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
So is clone the fat version or the slim? If its the fat checkout maxamps you get the batteries with microdeans. Being an owner of the authentic v1 fat and titantium i am currious how these compare to the original

The clone is the Slim version. :) I am familiar with the authentic and I can at least say that the clone does not have the battery drain issues that the authentic, and most especially the Ti Slim has been experiencing. You don't have to turn the clone off or disconnect the battery at night, it simply doesn't drain the battery beyond what you are using during vaping.

And there isn't any rattlesnake hissing from the chip.

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Interesting. Shame it isnt the fat version but at least it sounds like they improved it. Sounds like it has a different style of chip one without pulse modulation which would explain the missing rattle snake.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Interesting. Shame it isnt the fat version but at least it sounds like they improved it. Sounds like it has a different style of chip one without pulse modulation which would explain the missing rattle snake.

It is a shame it isn't the Fat version because those are able to take larger batteries and they can be modded to dual 18650 too, which is not an option on the Slim. Although I most say that the Fat version has to be a beastly thing because the Slim isn't really all that slim, and quite heavy at nearly 350g with a battery.

So I take it that you prefer the Fat version over the Ti Slim?

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Resource info ... Edited because battery too big :(

Last edited:

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The maxamps wont fit in the slim its too thick. I tested it today to be sure. Great batteries though. Works great in fat variant

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
The maxamps wont fit in the slim its too thick. I tested it today to be sure. Great batteries though. Works great in fat variant

Ahaha .. you are right on my tail, I was just coming back to edit because I realized the batt is 15mm thick which is too big like you said. Too bad because 100c is a great battery for a 260W device ... although no one is really vaping 260W :eek:

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It is a shame it isn't the Fat version because those are able to take larger batteries and they can be modded to dual 18650 too, which is not an option on the Slim. Although I most say that the Fat version has to be a beastly thing because the Slim isn't really all that slim, and quite heavy at nearly 350g with a battery.

So I take it that you prefer the Fat version over the Ti Slim?

I have both my titantium slim is still siting in the box unfired. I use the fat regularly. I will use it eventually. The perfomace with maxamps is great. I have just been following your reviews they are very informative keep up the good work

Last edited:

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I have both my titantium slim is still siting in the box unfired. I use the fat regularly. I will use it eventually. The perfomace with maxamps is great. I have just been following your reviews they are very informative keep up the good work

STILL IN THE ZA BOX!!? :mad: Well are you in the mood to make a donation for the sake of science and research? Ugh, you are hurting my feelings so bad :(

But thank you for your kind words about my reviews :D

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
STILL IN THE ZA BOX!!? :mad: Well are you in the mood to make a donation for the sake of science and research? Ugh, you are hurting my feelings so bad :(

Haha i am collector just realized i like having larger batteries. Plus waiting on a skin for it.

Haha i am just a collector. Use some mods and save others.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Haha i am collector just realized i like having larger batteries. Plus waiting on a skin for it.

Haha i am just a collector. Use some mods and save others.

Well, I am a collector too, but that is no reason to leave a $700 in the box :eek: So you need to use it and then share your honest feedback with me so that I can use it. :D Your feedback that is ;)

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, I am a collector too, but that is no reason to leave a $700 in the box :eek: So you need to use it and then share your honest feedback with me so that I can use it. :D Your feedback that is ;)
Looking to trade out for a authentic carvela with spare tubes. I agree no reason to keep it in a box. Also no reason to have two variants haha.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Looking to trade out for a authentic carvela with spare tubes. I agree no reason to keep it in a box. Also no reason to have two variants haha.

An authentic Caravela sounds sweet .. But have you at least used the Ti Slim once? I mean with some of the issues being reported you need to make sure that yours is Ok.

As a collector I can certainly see the justification to have both ... like a Him and Her kinda :p

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow, don't know how i missed this , another outstanding review by Nikkita as usual .

Your amazing , and i know i , and so many others really appreciate your efforts , your a huge help with this stuff.

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
An authentic Caravela sounds sweet .. But have you at least used the Ti Slim once? I mean with some of the issues being reported you need to make sure that yours is Ok.

As a collector I can certainly see the justification to have both ... like a Him and Her kinda :p
I agree it would be good to have test it out. It will have the same software issues others have been having till i get it upgraded. Since they are sending a programer to the us soon it should be to much longer. Maybe ill fire it up today

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Wow, don't know how i missed this , another outstanding review by Nikkita as usual .

Your amazing , and i know i , and so many others really appreciate your efforts , your a huge help with this stuff.

Thank you my darling, but I haven't published my review yet. This is just first impressions and I thought it would be a good idea to have a "resource" type of thread for this device being that it is using a lipo battery, and there is a lot that one needs to know.

This Variant clone is only suitable for hard core hobbyist who don't mind picking up new supplies and tools specifically for this device. It is not the buy and go type really. FT just listed an aluminum Smoktech version and the lack of understanding on those discussions are mind blowing. They have no clue as to what lipos are actually compatible with this device, and the fact that any lipo you buy has to be of a specific size, and with a specific connection plug .. they will find out eventually :p

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I agree it would be good to have test it out. It will have the same software issues others have been having till i get it upgraded. Since they are sending a programer to the us soon it should be to much longer. Maybe ill fire it up today

Yeah I had heard that VA was sending a programmer to the US to help out users with firmware upgrades. Apparently it was a bit costly to send them back to VA.

But yes Mister, I think you owe it to your Slim to at least give her a test run .. maybe yours does not have any of the issues with battery drain, and self selecting wattage, etc. :) That would be nice ..

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wattage mode seems to be working fine. To early tell the battery drain
aeb6c7875cc499374e89298d9f7a3bc8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Wattage mode seems to be working fine. To early tell the battery drain
aeb6c7875cc499374e89298d9f7a3bc8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Aha, sweet! You did the right thing :p I will be keeping an ear out for any further thoughts on it .. I had a almost major F_U last night when I let the battery drain down to 6.2 :eek: And it was 3 flipping am and so I had to stay up just to let the battery recharge .. I was so annoyed.

The battery is all good, charged back up to 8.4 without issue. I think its more dangerous to drain that low while also drawing high currents, which I wasn't thankfully.

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Aha, sweet! You did the right thing :p I will be keeping an ear out for any further thoughts on it .. I had a almost major F_U last night when I let the battery drain down to 6.2 :eek: And it was 3 flipping am and so I had to stay up just to let the battery recharge .. I was so annoyed.

The battery is all good, charged back up to 8.4 without issue. I think its more dangerous to drain that low while also drawing high currents, which I wasn't thankfully.[/QUOTE]
Ya the lipo battery thing can be a pain sometimes. I would have preffered two 18650's

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
If it has the room you could always drop in a battery sled.

The slim is too shallow for a battery sled, already thought of that but no go. The Fat version can be modded though, its already been done.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

The battery is all good, charged back up to 8.4 without issue. I think its more dangerous to drain that low while also drawing high currents, which I wasn't thankfully.
Ya the lipo battery thing can be a pain sometimes. I would have preffered two 18650's[/QUOTE]

Well you have the Fatty, go on and mod that baby. I would love to know why Vicious Ant decided to go with a lipo instead of cylindrical batteries? To be different?

Btw, do you know how to reset the puff counter? I would like to reset it each time I recharge the battery :)

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm interested in seeing your review whenever it goes live, part of me wants to pick up this clone as an interesting piece of vaping curio, even if it is a bit expensive.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I'm interested in seeing your review whenever it goes live, part of me wants to pick up this clone as an interesting piece of vaping curio, even if it is a bit expensive.

I have the Variant review on schedule for 12/22/14 .. since no one needs to be vaping at 260W, this is a device that you buy because you like the look of it, and you don't mind expanding your hobbyist collection to include a new battery type.

What I can say with confidence is that the build quality is as good, and in some cases better than a lot of authentic devices out there. There is nothing about the quality of this clone that reads cheap, or clone, and I am serious about that. On one hand is kind of sucks to pay for a wattage output capacity that you are not going to use however, my honest opinion is that the Variant clone absolutely feels high end, and worth its price tag... but I still don't want to see $100 plus become the new normal for clones. o_O

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't see it becoming the new norm, there will undoubtedly be a few isolated cases like this where the design and hardware needs are way outside of the norm of what we know as mech mods or box mods, and as such dictate a higher price point. But at the same time, it's true that if we show we're willing to pay these prices for 'luxury clones' then surely they'll continue down that path, but it's not quite a serious problem yet.

Thanks for the info on the build quality, I think it would be a goofy + neat device to use at home.

Ya the lipo battery thing can be a pain sometimes. I would have preffered two 18650's
Btw, do you know how to reset the puff counter? I would like to reset it each time I recharge the battery :)

Did you figure out how to reset the puff counter? My friend has one and I remembered this thread. I'm at a loss in how to reset it :(

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I can't see it becoming the new norm, there will undoubtedly be a few isolated cases like this where the design and hardware needs are way outside of the norm of what we know as mech mods or box mods, and as such dictate a higher price point. But at the same time, it's true that if we show we're willing to pay these prices for 'luxury clones' then surely they'll continue down that path, but it's not quite a serious problem yet.

Thanks for the info on the build quality, I think it would be a goofy + neat device to use at home.

The good news is that I think Limwell and Psmoke have learned their lesson on this one. While the build quality is superb, the Variant is not a huge seller by any means, and rightfully so. I told them that there would not be many vapers who would drop this is kind of cash on a clone, and I was right. All of the resellers who picked up the Variant are struggling to get their stock sold because this is such a "specialty buy"

This is definitely an at home mod, it is so heavy, but very beautiful and impressive.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Did you figure out how to reset the puff counter? My friend has one and I remembered this thread. I'm at a loss in how to reset it :(

OMG hun, we share the same frustrations. You cannot reset the puff counter, and that annoys me because I want to keep track of how many puffs I am getting with each battery charge cycle and I cannot. The puff counter will reset itself once you reach 1000 puffs :( Bummer

crazydmnd

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey there,

I have an authentic ti slim and I'm curious if this clone chip has the ant logo at start up? Also, is there anyone out there that has both the authentic and clone and done a resistance meter comparison? I remember comparing the first cdna 30s to real evolve boards and finding the clones were always reading .3 or so higher.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Hey there,

I have an authentic ti slim and I'm curious if this clone chip has the ant logo at start up? Also, is there anyone out there that has both the authentic and clone and done a resistance meter comparison? I remember comparing the first cdna 30s to real evolve boards and finding the clones were always reading .3 or so higher.

Yes, the clone has the Vicious Ant logo and reads V1.5 at start up. The clone seems to be better than the authentic because there is no rattlesnake sound at all, it in fact it quieter than my DNA boxes. My ohm meter is accurate, vaping a Rose V2 built to 1.1 on my ohm meter, and also reads 1.1 on the Variant clone. IMO the clone is better because it has not had all of reported issues found on the authentic, especially the Titanium Variant.

Also .. I was trying not to go there but I believe that the factory that makes the authentic Variant also makes the clone. Too much detail to go into at the moment, but I have very sound reasons to believe this.

VU Sponsors