Become a Patron!

The Variant 260W Clone unboxing pics

Vapor82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's good to know thank you. I'll do a little more research and probley order the imax b6 charger

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh I didn't know that. Here comes a stupid questions why do you need both?

On my charger that comes with the clone (B3 compact charger) I just connect the (white) balanced connector and I'm done.

The wires used for most balance ports are smaller than the power leads themselves... so they can't handle the higher current. So the better quality chargers use both... the power leads to charge with since it can handle higher current and the balance leads to pull excessive voltage off of the cells that are taking a charge faster than the other cells util they reach a full balanced charge together

Vapor82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The wires used for most balance ports are smaller than the power leads themselves... so they can't handle the higher current. So the better quality chargers use both... the power leads to charge with since it can handle higher current and the balance leads to pull excessive voltage off of the cells that are taking a charge faster than the other cells util they reach a full balanced charge together
I see the light now !!!

Vapor82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey all I have a major issue with my variant and need your help. I've been using the mod for 2 weeks now all of a sudden the mod won't fire. Says check atty !! I did I tried all my attys and they work fine on other mods. So we can rule out the atty. I checked the floating pin seems like it's making contact. When I click the fire button red light lights up so its not the button. I remover the plastic cover above the battery section to check the 510 wires are conected seems fine. What should I do next ? Any help would be much appreciated

Rick Doddridge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Same here,although the the light on the top is flashing red while firing and a check atty message.Been using mine daily for a year without issue BTW. I suspect it could be the 510.Does not appear to be serviceable.Can anyone verify this ?Also great thread with a lot of useful info Props to the OP

rickmtnview

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Same here,although the the light on the top is flashing red while firing and a check atty message.Been using mine daily for a year without issue BTW. I suspect it could be the 510.Does not appear to be serviceable.Can anyone verify this ?Also great thread with a lot of useful info Props to the OP
Rick, you might try using a 510 to 510 adapter on the atty that's causing the red light to appear. The atty probably has a 510 not up to spec. It will work on most mods but there's always one mod that doesn't like it. Of course you won't want to use it like that long term but you may find an answer that satisfies your curiosity. I still use my Variant daily but just came across the EVIC VT that gives me temp control plus a host of other desirable features. The Variant not hitting below 15 watts (actual) has always been a negative. I'm a genny guy and seldom need high wattages. This VT allows wattages down to 1. I use 5 or 6 watts to burn in a new mesh wick so it's pretty handy to be able to set low wattage settings.

Rick Doddridge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Should have specified I guess bit already tried a few RDA and tanks.All with the same result.The light flashes 5 times very quickly without firing the attys or reading the resistance.

rickmtnview

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Should have specified I guess bit already tried a few RDA and tanks.All with the same result.The light flashes 5 times very quickly without firing the attys or reading the resistance.
I misunderstood your problem! The signal is getting from switch to the board so the problem looks to be the 510 or at the board level. How about removing the inner plastic piece and seeing how the center pin on the 510 is connected to the wire. Maybe applying some heat will reflow the solder connection. In fact applying the solder iron to both sides wouldn't hurt. I noticed the center pin is 1.5mm hex size. Could it have worked itself inwards? You've had it a year so a board problem isn't likely.

Vapor82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have another problem with mine as-well. My battery voltage keeps jumping from 1.0 - 5.9 and variant wont fire. I even bought a b6 Charger to make sure my battery's are in balance and good condition. Also my resistance that it's picking up all whacked out. I think e juice might have dripped through my 510 into the board and fried something. I'm looking to by a Snowwolf 200w TC now. Any thoughts on this mod?

rickmtnview

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have another problem with mine as-well. My battery voltage keeps jumping from 1.0 - 5.9 and variant wont fire. I even bought a b6 Charger to make sure my battery's are in balance and good condition. Also my resistance that it's picking up all whacked out. I think e juice might have dripped through my 510 into the board and fried something. I'm looking to by a Snowwolf 200w TC now. Any thoughts on this mod?
I met a guy with a Snowwolf yesterday that seemed very pleased with the mod. Feels similar to the Variant but not quite as heavy. I liked that the ohms reads out to two places. Big plus in my opinion! If you don't need all that power, the Evic VT has been a pleasure to use. My first experience with temp control. Too bad about your Variant.....I really like that mod.

Vapor82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I met a guy with a Snowwolf yesterday that seemed very pleased with the mod. Feels similar to the Variant but not quite as heavy. I liked that the ohms reads out to two places. Big plus in my opinion! If you don't need all that power, the Evic VT has been a pleasure to use. My first experience with temp control. Too bad about your Variant.....I really like that mod.

I'm on the ropes about getting another Variant (which I loved so much) or another mod like the Snowwolf 200. The Variant is the best hitting mod Ive ever had by far. I hear good things about the Evic VT, but I'm afraid need more power.

I saw these new Variant clones on Fast tech seem legit but no reviews yet https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014618/2537000-vape-cige-vicious-ant-variant-250w-variable

What DO you think? Pull the trigger?

rickmtnview

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm on the ropes about getting another Variant (which I loved so much) or another mod like the Snowwolf 200. The Variant is the best hitting mod Ive ever had by far. I hear good things about the Evic VT, but I'm afraid need more power.

I saw these new Variant clones on Fast tech seem legit but no reviews yet https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014618/2537000-vape-cige-vicious-ant-variant-250w-variable

What DO you think? Pull the trigger?
I got my clone from Fast tech and feel it's a good deal. I think the price without battery and charger is around the $125-$135 range. Unfortunately, the power readout is totally inaccurate. 5 watt readout is actually about 15 watts. But I just love that big, solid feel in my hands and I've become a big fan of lipos. There are more up to date mods now on the market but you've already invested in batteries and charger....I do hope you've updated your charger from that piece of crap that normally comes with the Variant. I very tough decision!

rickmtnview

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got my clone from Fast tech and feel it's a good deal. I think the price without battery and charger is around the $125-$135 range. Unfortunately, the power readout is totally inaccurate. 5 watt readout is actually about 15 watts. But I just love that big, solid feel in my hands and I've become a big fan of lipos. There are more up to date mods now on the market but you've already invested in batteries and charger....I do hope you've updated your charger from that piece of crap that normally comes with the Variant. I very tough decision!
What.....wait a minute! $95 bucks......that's just a steal. Inaccuracies be damned....it's a buy!

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Personally paying for a mod you know is defective allready seems strange to me. Having an accurate reading can be important and kind of defeats the purpose of the screen in my opnion. Personally at this stage of the vape game you would be better off paying a little extra and something with an sx350j or dna 200 chip. As an owner of two authentic variants times have changed and technology has moved past the variant.

rickmtnview

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Personally paying for a mod you know is defective allready seems strange to me. Having an accurate reading can be important and kind of defeats the purpose of the screen in my opnion. Personally at this stage of the vape game you would be better off paying a little extra and something with an sx350j or dna 200 chip. As an owner of two authentic variants times have changed and technology has moved past the variant.

I think it's the clone from Linwell is the mod with an inaccurate readout I believe it's the one I have. The $95 Variant clone may have an accurate board, but, the thing is, once you've invested in batteries and charger plus you like the form factor, buying a replacement seems warranted. My EVIC VT is much more accurate than my Variant clone but I use both equally. The Variant clone has that "just right" feel in the hand. I'm mostly a genny vapor and don't use a lot of power but if my Variant clone stopped working I'd get another. It's been my favorite for several months! I just love lipo batteries and using them has got me into flying RC airplanes.

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think it's the clone from Linwell is the mod with an inaccurate readout I believe it's the one I have. The $95 Variant clone may have an accurate board, but, the thing is, once you've invested in batteries and charger plus you like the form factor, buying a replacement seems warranted. My EVIC VT is much more accurate than my Variant clone but I use both equally. The Variant clone has that "just right" feel in the hand. I'm mostly a genny vapor and don't use a lot of power but if my Variant clone stopped working I'd get another. It's been my favorite for several months! I just love lipo batteries and using them has got me into flying RC airplanes.
I would agree with the lipo charger being kind of an investment. Although I have used it with other devices. I do like the design of the variant. The lipo chargers will remain usefull especially with release of dna200. At the end of the day you have to go with what you like.

VU Sponsors