You'd kill, you'd maim
(Ah, c'mon kill 'em now)
You'd kill, you'd maim
(Maim 'em too ah, break it up)

Read more: Blue Oyster Cult - The Red And The Black Lyrics | MetroLyrics

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@robot zombie yeah man its tiring for sure. igorrr was my intro to the genre and i really like what he does with the piano and contrast...but the more i delve into it, the more i realize they are all doing the same thing and that there are only a few bands that you can tell apart from the people just following the directions on the box. there is a bit of range from djenty/grindcore to a more mellow ambient feel, but they all kinda still sound the same. i have a feeling its mostly software. the same thing happens in graphics. a fancy plugin will come out for photoshop or after effects, and for the next year every commercial looks the same (using the first preset usually lol).
Yeah, I notice that's a big issue with electronic music. Replicatable styles can be problematic. It's not interesting when everything sounds the same. Reminds me of when the djent genome was cracked and everything coming out started sounding the same. This is the stuff that kills genres for me. The idea behind interesting music is that it challenges you a bit... ...it presents you with something familiar and does something with it that you don't expect. The best experiences I've ever had with music involved things I had never heard before. The goal is to have that experience as often as possible.

This is why I can't do House music. To me, it's just a million variations of bmm-tss bmm-tss bmm-tss. What it is missing for me is a sense of completeness. What I hear is a skeleton of a finished song. Where's the rest?

That being said, I think it's fine to cop styles... ...heavily, even. You just have to do something with it that only you can do. There has to be a palpable sense of identity... ...things happening amidst the formula that only you would think to do. Otherwise, there no real reason for anybody to listen to you over the hundreds of others doing the exact same thing. It's like, "Congratulations you've created a [genre] song. But why did this need to exist?"

I think some artists just get too obsessed with the music they like. They boil it all down and focus so much on bringing all of the same attributes to their music that there's no room for unique ideas in their process. I see it as a sign of inexperience... ...that or creative stagnation. What do you do when you have skill, but no ideas?

That's just me, though. For some people, the structure and melodic content are arbitrary compared to the aesthetic of the music. They want it to sound like what they know. It just has to have "that" sound for them to feel it. It's all about hype. You know what's coming and you get excited about it.

Some people are expanders and others are refiners. I can go for either approach depending on my mood. Sometimes it's nice to know what you're in for... ...having stuff you can get hyped over is good. But when I want to discover, I tend to avoid the heavily-formulaic stuff. I just feel like there's not a whole lot for me there. It's like reading a prologue that completely spoils the whole book and makes it so you don't have to read the book anymore.

I say all of this as I'm listening to one of the most easily emulated genres of music out there.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
RZ, I think that you may have nailed it...

"There's junk food and then there's fine cuisine. It would be stupid to say that any candy bar could ever be better than a fillet mignon."

I prefer a nice ribeye cooked over mesquite myself.
It all boils down to the talent and creativity of the musician(s). You can have a room full of badass gear, but if you can't do anything with it, then
all you come up with is krappe.

Keep up the good work brutha!

Haha, funny you should say those things. I've been feeling similarly about it since then. I still think it sounds nice and will gladly sit through a track or two, but I agree, it's objectively very rudimentary. Some people would call it "minimalist" which I don't disagree with, though it's more "basic" than anything else. You'd think someone with the capacity to do more with those sounds naturally would... ...makes ya wonder.

Pretty much anybody with a basic sense of how music works and two good ears could sit in a room with some nice equipment and make something like it if given enough time to work it out.

I don't think that music necessarily needs to have substance to be enjoyable, though. Really depends on what yer up for. There is art and then there is entertainment. And there is stuff that has both components. There's junk food and then there's fine cuisine. It would be stupid to say that any candy bar could ever be better than a fillet mignon. They're not even comparable. Junk food is unsatisfying as a meal, but sometimes you just wanna have a snack. You know it's bad for you, but it tastes good and comes in a pretty package. Not too many people waste fillet mignon on snack time... ...they save it for dinner.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's wise to get obsessed with junk food, either. You ain't really living if that's all you eat.

Haha, that's just life in general ain't it? It's pretty much the only option :p

I hear you though. It's so simple, but definitely something I tend to forget. Leave it to Hypno to keep it real as fuck. I know that there are many things we don't agree on, but I always appreciate the perspective you bring to the table. Always makes think... ...or more, it makes me remember to stop doing that so much from time to time.

Sometimes you just gotta shut up and play... ...just kinda say "fuck it" and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure that's what these guys were doing when they made a two-part album like this.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Eh, I think if you're just a guy with a mac in his mommas house and that's just what you do for fun, then more power to ya... ...but you should probably at least get your own place. The idea is that you don't quit your day job unless the money is coming in. That image of someone trying to "make it" from their bedroom in their parent's house is pretty lame. I've met a few people like this who think they're hot shit, but really their music is just passable and they ain't got nothing going on... ...no listeners outside of their own circle of people.

There are definitely times when you have to stop and assess what the fuck it is you're really doing and why. If your head isn't in it, then you have to check where your heart is at.

I dunno, there are all sorts of people out there. If you just wanna make music in your bedroom and put some of it out there, that's cool. As long as you know where you're at, bills are paid, and that's all you really wanna do with it. The lifestyle isn't for everyone. For some, it's merely another way of enjoying music.

But if you truly want to make music as a full time job and know you can pull it off, then something is very wrong if you aren't doing everything you can to make that a reality. You gotta play some real moves and start taking some risks.

Moved outta mama's house in 1982.

Been playin' since 1978. When I was your age (I presume) I thought that we had a chance to make a living playing our originals.
Nope. Musicians are the most flaky fucks on the planet.
That's why I had a plan for a career that involved music.

Go for it! BUT have a backup plan...

PM me!!!

Last edited:

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ex-fuckin-actly. If you're not enjoying playing music, then why bother? Just because you aren't successful doesn't mean you can't still be passionate. If you are neither, then you're just sad... ...and probably very tired. You don't do it for just fame or recognition - just to say that you are an artist. That's setting yourself up for disappointment.

If you make it, then that's fuckin' awesome and you probably deserve it! You get to subsist off of what you love. But if not, that doesn't mean it's over. What do you do then, stop making music? If you really love it, then it's just business as usual... ...which is having fun doing what you love. To be able to wake up every day and do what you love is living the dream. Everything else is the bonus round.

And besides, in order to make music that people will relate to and allow into their headscapes, it has to mean something to you. Everything else is a waste of time. Assume that nobody gives a fuck about what you do. The real question to ask yourself at that point is "Do I?"

I sometimes wonder if the best artists who've ever lived are not known by more than a handful of people... ...like they're just regular people who really love what they do and devote themselves to it completely. I dunno, it would make sense to me that the best artists do it purely for the love of their craft. I could see there being some badass motherfuckers out there who'd rather not let the pursuit of recognition take them away from their art.

But then, maybe it's the ones who most put their noses to the grindstone and do things they don't like for the sake of things they do who have the most passion. They take their passion and use it as a means to surpass themselves as individuals. That is pretty amazing in its own right... ...the sacrifices people will make for their love are incredible.

Who's to say who's better off? Personally, I'd say that they've both made it out just fine.

I think that the golden rule for all artists... ...the ultimate endgame... ...is to create a space where you can live and freely make exactly the art that you envision. That's what its all about: getting as close to your art as possible... ...and through that, getting closer to what is most important to you.

There are many ways to go about making that a reality. A failed artist is simply one who either hasn't found their happy place as an artist or perhaps forgot to look for it. All of the recognition in the world can't save you from being miserable if your heart isn't in it. That's when you have to really ask yourself "Why? Why am I doing this? What made me want to start doing this?" You go from there and see where it takes you. It's all just part of the journey.

Found this super-weird shit the other day and it blew my fuckin' mind. What this guy understands very, very intimately are sounds and textures. All of his mixes are so detailed and perfectly spread out. They are simultaneously dense and spacious - just pristinely vibrant. I think he's brilliant in the way that he seamlessly blends all of these crazy and exotic elements together in dynamic, living and breathing atmospheres. He makes it so that you are constantly uncovering new things on top of new things. It's got this enveloping sort of feel to it, like the music itself is a space for you to inhabit.

This album sucked me right in and took me on a ride right from the get go. Best headphone listening experience I've had in a good while. By the time it was over, I didn't even feel like the same person anymore. There was something spiritual about it. Definitely one of those "headphones-on, eyes-closed." type of deals. It's more than just a bunch of nice sounds to me - it has something that the purely nice-sounding stuff doesn't. Most is interesting, but not good. This, OTOH has juju... ...mojo.

I dunno, it's just bananas to me. Highly recommend that anybody who's up for something really strange and different go listen to Vapor on his bandcamp.
Yep, I think you understand that not every badass will be able to make a living playing.
I have one of the best guitar players ever. Really. You would be awestruck by this fucker. He can handle everything from Segovia to Zappa.
He plays for fun. Everyone in the current band could be on a stage in a stadium. We just realize that the ship has done sailed...
You spend decades perfecting your craft. What the fuck are you gonna do? Keep playing.
I'll need to check that stuff out when the clock allows.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, I notice that's a big issue with electronic music. Replicatable styles can be problematic. It's not interesting when everything sounds the same. Reminds me of when the djent genome was cracked and everything coming out started sounding the same. This is the stuff that kills genres for me. The idea behind interesting music is that it challenges you a bit... ...it presents you with something familiar and does something with it that you don't expect. The best experiences I've ever had with music involved things I had never heard before. The goal is to have that experience as often as possible.

This is why I can't do House music. To me, it's just a million variations of bmm-tss bmm-tss bmm-tss. What it is missing for me is a sense of completeness. What I hear is a skeleton of a finished song. Where's the rest?

That being said, I think it's fine to cop styles... ...heavily, even. You just have to do something with it that only you can do. There has to be a palpable sense of identity... ...things happening amidst the formula that only you would think to do. Otherwise, there no real reason for anybody to listen to you over the hundreds of others doing the exact same thing. It's like, "Congratulations you've created a [genre] song. But why did this need to exist?"

I think some artists just get too obsessed with the music they like. They boil it all down and focus so much on bringing all of the same attributes to their music that there's no room for unique ideas in their process. I see it as a sign of inexperience... ...that or creative stagnation. What do you do when you have skill, but no ideas?

That's just me, though. For some people, the structure and melodic content are arbitrary compared to the aesthetic of the music. They want it to sound like what they know. It just has to have "that" sound for them to feel it. It's all about hype. You know what's coming and you get excited about it.

Some people are expanders and others are refiners. I can go for either approach depending on my mood. Sometimes it's nice to know what you're in for... ...having stuff you can get hyped over is good. But when I want to discover, I tend to avoid the heavily-formulaic stuff. I just feel like there's not a whole lot for me there. It's like reading a prologue that completely spoils the whole book and makes it so you don't have to read the book anymore.

I say all of this as I'm listening to one of the most easily emulated genres of music out there.
I agree.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Mule
By Deep Purple
No-one sees the things you do
Because I stand in front of you
But you drive me all the time
Put the evil in my mind
Used to sing and say my prayers
Live my life without a care
Now I have become a fool
Because I listened to the mule
How can I change when my mind is a friend
Of a Lucifer hid in the ground
Just another slave for the mule

Songwriters: IAN GILLAN, IAN PAICE, JON LORD, RITCHIE BLACKMORE, ROGER GLOVER
www.infowars.com

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

The Wizard
By Uriah Heep
He was the wizard of a thousand kings
And I chanced to meet him one night wandering
He told me tales, and he drank my wine
Me and my magic man kinda feelin' fine

He had a cloak of gold and eyes of fire
And as he spoke, I felt a deep desire
To free the world from it's fear and pain
And help the people to feel free again

Why don't we listen to the voices in our hearts
'Cause then I know we'd find that we're not so far apart
Everybody's got to be happy, everyone should sing
For we know the joy of life, the peace that love can bring

So spoke the wizard in his mountain home
The vision of his wisdom means we'll never be alone
And I will dream of my magic night
And the million silver stars that guide me with their light

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Rainbow Demon
By Uriah Heep
There rides the rainbow demon
On his horse of crimson fire
Black shadows are following closely
on the heels of his desire

Ridin' on in the mist of morning
no one dared to stand in his way
possessed by some distant calling
riding on through night and day

Raibow demon
pick up your heart and run
rainbow demon
Lives for his sword and his gun

Ridin' on in the mist of morning
no one dared to stand in his way
possessed by some distant calling
riding on through night and day

Raibow demon
pick up your heart and run
rainbow demon
Lives for his sword and his gun

Songwriters: KEN HENSLEY

www.infowars.com

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The first song from the first el-pee:

Transmaniacon MC
By Blue Öyster Cult
With Satan's hog no pig at all
And the weather's getting dry
We'll head south from Altamont
In a cold-blood traveled trance
So clear the road, my bully boys
And let some thunder pass
We're pain, we're steel, a plot of knives
We're Transmaniacon MC

Behind the pantry, behind the tree
The ghouls adopt that child
Whose name resound forever
Whose name resounds in terror
And I'm no fool to call that hog
'Cause man, I remember
Those who did resign their souls
To Transmaniacon MC

And surely we did offer up
Behind that stage at dawn
Beers and barracuda, reds and monocaine, yeah
Pure nectar of antipathy
Behind that stage at dawn
To those who would resign their souls
To Transmaniacon MC

Cry the cable, cry the word
Unknown terror's here
And won't you try this tasty snack
Behind the scene or but the back
Which was the stage at Altamont
My humble boys of listless power
We're pain, we're steel, a plot of knives
We're Transmaniacon...

Look, all right! You can feel it!

Songwriters: ALBERT BOUCHARD, DONALD ROESER, E BLOOM, SAMUEL PEARLMAN

www.infowars.com

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Canadian mounted baby, a police force that works
Red and black, that's their color scheme
Get their man, in the end
It's all right, yeah, it's all right

Frontenac chateau, baby, I'll cross the frontier at ten
Got a whip in my hand, baby
And a girl or a husky at Leather's end
It's all right, it's all right, baby, it's all right
My lovely bel punice, you'd kill and you'd maim

[Incomprehensible]

Hornswoop me bungo pony, dogsled on ice
Make a dash for freedom baby, don't skate on polar ice
It's to thick to be sliced by the light
Of long and white polar nights
It's all right, it's all right, baby
It's all right
My lovely bel punice, you'd kill and you'd maim

www.infowars.com

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Workshop of the Telescopes
By Blue Öyster Cult
By silverfish imperetrix, whose incorrupted eye
Sees through the charms of doctors and their wives
By salamander, drake, and the power that was undies
Rise to claim Saturn, ring and sky
By those who see with their eyes close
They know me by my black telescope

Your green tree mantle from which these things derive
A lens of quartz and refract spoke that crystal lens
Whose crystal rope once bound me to those
Doctors and wives

When my vision was oh, so cloudy
And I saw things through two eyes
I am a sailor on the raging depths
And I know a thing or two
Back to the corner mates and over the side
Yes I know a thing or two

Sees through the charms of doctors and their wives
By salamander, drake, and the power that was undone
By those who see with their eyes closed
you'll know me by my black telescope

Before my great conversion when the ridge was closed
Before my visit to the workshop of telescopes

sees through the charms of doctors and their wives
By salamander, drake, and the power that was undone
By those who see with their eyes closed
you'll know me by my black telescope

www.infowars.com

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Look out!

Time is too slow for those who wait
And time is too swift for those who fear
Time is too long for those who grieve
And time is too short for those that laugh

And love is too slow for those who wait
And love is too swift for those who fear
Love is too long for those who grieve
And love is too short for those that laugh

But for those who love
But for those who really love
But for those who love
Time
Sweet time
Precious time
Lovely time
All the time
Time, time, time, time
is eternity

Hours fly
Hours fly
Hours fly
But even flowers must die
And then a new day comes
And there's a new day's dawn
And there's a new day's sun
And love stays on
Sweet love stays on
Love stays on
Love stays on
Love, love, love, love
And time, time, time, time

www.infowars.com

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

"Abigail, I know You're in control of her brain, Abigail
And I know that You're the one that's
speaking through her, Abigail
Miriam can You hear me"

"I am alive inside Your Wife
Miriam's dead, I am her head."

"Abigail, don't You think I know what
You've done, Abigail
I'll get a priest, he will know
How to get her soul back"

"Oh Jonathan, this is Miriam
Our time is out
Remember the stairs, it's the only way"

"Abigail, nothing I can do but give in, Abigail"

"Jonathan, I agree...Yes I do"

"I am alive inside Your Wife
Miriam's dead, I am her head, soon I'll be free!"

www.infowars.com

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
OK kids. Here 'tis. Badass Awesomeness....

Close to the Edge
By Yes
A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace,
And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace,
And achieve it all with music that came quickly from afar,
Then taste the fruit of man recorded losing all against the hour
And assessing points to nowhere, leading every single one
A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun,
And take away the plain in which we move,
And choose the course you're running

Down at the edge, round by the corner,
Not right away, not right away
Close to the edge, down by a river,
Not right away, not right away

Crossed the line around the changes of the summer,
Reaching out to call the color of the sky
Passed around a moment clothed in mornings faster than we see
Getting over all the time I had to worry,
Leaving all the changes far from far behind
We relieve the tension only to find out the master's name

Down at the end, round by the corner
Close to the edge, just by a river
Seasons will pass you by
I get up, I get down
Now that it's all over and done,
Now that you find, now that you're whole

My eyes convinced, eclipsed with the younger moon attained with love
It changed as almost strained amidst clear manna from above
I crucified my hate and held the word within my hand
There's you, the time, the logic, or the reasons we don't understand

Sad courage claimed the victims standing still for all to see,
As armored movers took approached to overlook the sea
There since the cord, the license, or the reasons we understood will be

Down at the edge, close by a river
Close to the edge, round by the corner
Close to the end, down by the corner
Down at the edge, round by the river

Sudden call shouldn't take away the startled memory
All in all, the journey takes you all the way
As apart from any reality that you've ever seen and known
Guessing problems only to deceive the mention,
Passing paths that climb halfway into the void
As we cross from side to side, we hear the total mass retain

Down at the edge, round by the corner
Close to the end, down by a river
Seasons will pass you by
I get up, I get down

In her white lace, you could clearly see the lady sadly looking
Saying that she'd take the blame
For the crucifixion of her own domain

I get up,
I get down,
I get up,
I get down

Two million people barely satisfy
Two hundred women watch one woman cry, too late
The eyes of honesty can achieve
How many millions do we deceive each day?
I get up, I get down
I get up, I get down

In charge of who is there in charge of me
Do I look on blindly and say I see the way?
The truth is written all along the page
How old will I be before I come of age for you?
I get up, I get down
I get up, I get down
I get up, I get down

The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes
A constant vogue of triumphs dislocate man, it seems
And space between the focus shape ascend knowledge of love
As song and chance develop time, lost social temperance rules above
Ah, ah

Then according to the man who showed his outstretched arm to space,
He turned around and pointed, revealing all the human race
I shook my head and smiled a whisper, knowing all about the place
On the hill we viewed the silence of the valley,