Become a Patron!

Who Carries a Knife? (for all the knife nuts)

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
6177409749_b8047509ac_z.jpg

Your back pocket sheathe large enough for that, Tex?
Chick's got that "Oh what a big one you have!" look.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a few of mine. I'm a Cold Steel fan. Never had one break. I don't always have a knife on me but I keep one stashed in my work and personal vehicles. Knives are awesome . They are functional works of art.IMG_20140727_132215_357.jpg

Last edited:

Navymr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a few of mine. I'm a Cold Steal fan. Never had one break. I don't always have a knife on me but I keep one stashed in my work and personal vehicles. Knives are awesome . They are functional works of art.View attachment 33229

The tanto pictured on the far right of the picture... Any info to share? Very nice

Navymr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone purchased a Pakistani folded steel knife? Seems like there is some unique pieces flooding the market and I was curious on quality.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The tanto pictured on the far right of the picture... Any info to share? Very nice
It's a Cold Steel made in Japan using cold forged SanMai steel. 14 inch full tang blade and sharp as a mother fucker. I got it a few years ago at a Raleigh gun & knife show. I saw it and just had to have it.

Last edited:

Navymr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a Cold Steel made in Japan using cold forged SanMai steel. 14 inch full tang blade and sharp as a mother fucker. I got it a few years ago at a Raleigh gun & knife show. I saw it and just had to have it.

That's badass I'll take 2

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
P250.jpg P250 1.jpg I used to carry a knife....but I sold my P250 a long time ago, My Kimber Crimson Super Carry doesnt have a rail so I dont bring a knife anymore :confused:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's a nice setup..... but I'm more frightened of the poster

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's a nice setup..... but I'm more frightened of the poster
You know Ive gotten shit for the poster on every gun forum Ive posted in also lol The pic is from when the movie was released and my wife was "Really" into that series....I put a GTA5 Game Map over it shortly after :p

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Old House (Slum)
IMG_20150331_171516.jpg
New House (Just Moved In)
20150926_212358.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You know Ive gotten shit for the poster on every gun forum Ive posted in also lol The pic is from when the movie was released and my wife was "Really" into that series....I put a GTA5 Game Map over it shortly after :p
Whatever makes you feel better, bro
hahahahaha!!!!!
Dude, my ex and I had just started dating when that movie was released. She made me watch the entire series in two days before going to watch that poor excuse for a vampire movie finale.
-I was so glad the guns were locked up.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Whatever makes you feel better, bro
hahahahaha!!!!!
Dude, my ex and I had just started dating when that movie was released. She made me watch the entire series in two days before going to watch that poor excuse for a vampire movie finale.
-I was so glad the guns were locked up.
Atleast you didnt have a reminder every time you walked into your room, new rule is no posters (They destroy the walls when being removed)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Atleast you didnt have a reminder every time you walked into your room, new rule is no posters (They destroy the walls when being removed)
Hahahhaa!!!!!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's nice right there ^^^ reminds me of one Kit Carsons old predator type blades.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm a victorinox and wusthof guy. Also have some no name German steel that was handed down to me from one of my butchers that claims it's origin and I trust him. Probably the best blade I've ever used. Hard to sharpen but keeps for longer even without using a steel.
I get my knives and saw blades from kasko. Been butchering with their stuff for years.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm a victorinox and wusthof guy. Also have some no name German steel that was handed down to me from one of my butchers that claims it's origin and I trust him. Probably the best blade I've ever used. Hard to sharpen but keeps for longer even without using a steel.
I get my knives and saw blades from kasko. Been butchering with their stuff for years.

Those German blades are awesome! Being a wisthoff and henkels I am biased; but, they seem to forge some excellent steel.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree. German steel is probably the best. Best I've used anyway. Hard for me to get also. In Colombia it doesn't come around too easy, in Miami everyone seems to sell Swiss. Maybe if I went to some kind of knife show.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All my kitchen knives are Wusthof. My Dad bought them as a wedding gift for me and the missus. Hard steel that keeps an edge once honed correctly. About 15 years ago I bought a 12" fillet knife at a second hand store that looked like it was Damascus steel. Turns out it is Damascus steel, made in Soligen Germany in 1850. Had a hell of a time tracing it. It keeps an edge like no other fillet knife I've ever owned. Paid $0.75 for it. Look hard enough and you find gems like this every now and then.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Wustoff used to be a knifemaker for JA Henkels and they had a falling out so he went off on his own. Just a bit of trivia there. That and for whatever reason they appear to hold an edge just a bit better than the others.
Overall with all of the kitchen knives, for me its the handel and the way they are weighted at the tang that makes me decide which one to grab. Still the 'go to' has been Henkels; they were the first I bought when I started in the kitchen.

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll always have a Japanese blade in my kitchen, I love how thin the blades are and they do the trick for herbs and what not. I'm a professional chef so I need different blades for different things. Plus it does wonders when breaking a salmon down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'll always have a Japanese blade in my kitchen, I love how thin the blades are and they do the trick for herbs and what not. I'm a professional chef so I need different blades for different things. Plus it does wonders when breaking a salmon down.

I was a chef for a good while, I'm in New Orleans and have been successful at avoiding salmon like the plague. Hahaha(not my thing, I can't get past the smell) - now, get me some gulf seafood and I'm a happy guy.
Weird though I love salmon raw.

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was a chef for a good while, I'm in New Orleans and have been successful at avoiding salmon like the plague. Hahaha(not my thing, I can't get past the smell) - now, get me some gulf seafood and I'm a happy guy.
Weird though I love salmon raw.
Salmons big up here in the Northeast, people can't seem to get enough of it. I absolutely hate it and won't eat it at all.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Salmons big up here in the Northeast, people can't seem to get enough of it. I absolutely hate it and won't eat it at all.

Lmao!!! My exwife is from buffalo NY and loved the stuff. There were many times I went outside just to get away. It and durian are the two worst food smells on the planet to me

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My m16 and something I grabbed at a gun show last year.
As a former chef in the kitchen wustoff, Henckels (5star and their professional lines) and Shun have given me the most reliability.
temporary_zpsle8p0yg8.jpg
Them RAT folders are great beaters

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
Wustoff used to be a knifemaker for JA Henkels and they had a falling out so he went off on his own. Just a bit of trivia there. That and for whatever reason they appear to hold an edge just a bit better than the others.
Overall with all of the kitchen knives, for me its the handel and the way they are weighted at the tang that makes me decide which one to grab. Still the 'go to' has been Henkels; they were the first I bought when I started in the kitchen.

That's the story that was told to me by my old head chef. I love Wustoff's and Henkels, but have discovered that the Henkels are susceptible to shattering if hit on the side. Idiot sauciere used mine to smack a garlic clove to break the skin, damn thing just exploded. Damn things stay sharp forever though :D

My old boss was manager at Brennans out by you.

As to my EDC...just a plain, fast, cheap Kershaw Blur. Easy as hell to snap open one handed and cheap enough that if I break it at work it's no issue. Been in my pocket for years though, has held up amazingly well. There's also a guy on my mail route that makes custom titainium blades but waaaaay to expensive for my blood!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Out of nothing more than curiosity I bought a ceramic knife on eBay. 7" blade. First one got here all busted up. There a joy on soft things & extremely sharp. Use it more than I thought I would. I inherited a Ronco 25 piece knife set new in box. Don't know what they cost, but are some damn nice knives.

DanTheBassistMan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
790254a92870de7b3174b94482a999cd.jpg
d1843c03629eded45b6d4884dfb83079.jpg
my everyday carry

Ah Spydercos are amazing! I own a Ambitious, my second-most used knife. Awesome little blade! It's mainly carried and used when I'm at a possible knife-a-phobic area (such as the hospitals I work at), since it's not threatening looking, and is only a 2.25" blade.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I carry 2 on me at all times when out and about.
A small Swiss-Army knife and a Zero Tolerance - ZT350

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This thread has taught me two things...

First - I need a new pocketknife. Stopped carrying my old Buck when it finally broke down for the last time a few years ago. I know I could mail it off to get cleaned up, but I liked it when they were in my backyard and I could drop it off, shoot the shit for a few, then come back a week later to a honed blade, new spring, and a nice cleaning. For whatever reason I just won't drop it in the mail for the same thing now that they've moved the operation to Bumfuck, Idaho.

Second - my weak-ass Calphalon and Cutco kitchen sets are shit. I liked them a lot better before I started following this conversation...

VU Sponsors