Become a Patron!

Who Carries a Knife? (for all the knife nuts)

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Dude, are you related to buffalo bill?
Holy shit, lol

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I thought I had an obsession collecting little blue screwdrivers.....

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Every man needs a good knife or 2
IMAG0148_zps0frdvj0g.jpg
b9a4c165-562c-45a7-9748-9da3a6624f3e_zpsbovenw8w.jpg

Outside of the spyderco it looks like the late night shopping channel exploded in there.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know Ive gotten shit for the poster on every gun forum Ive posted in also lol The pic is from when the movie was released and my wife was "Really" into that series....I put a GTA5 Game Map over it shortly after :p
I think by poster they meant you not the (Twilight) thingy.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This thread has taught me two things...

First - I need a new pocketknife. Stopped carrying my old Buck when it finally broke down for the last time a few years ago.
It seems every knife owner I've ever met was given a buck by their father/grandfather.I had 4 my Grandfather gave me when i was about 5 years old that I unfortunately no longer have*.1 was a small toothpick type 1 was a small stockman 1 was a medium sized campknife 1 was a old school skinner. I miss them all and remember them fondly.
Second - my weak-ass Calphalon and Cutco kitchen sets are shit. I liked them a lot better before I started following this conversation...
Almost all of my current kitchen knives are Global The Cleaver is a Furi and the steak knives are J.A. Henckles which were a wedding gift.

*While living in Hollywood,Ca my apartment was robbed and the thief/thieves stole everything that wasn't nailed down or too big.They even took some of my clothes the remotes for all my stuff and the ice-cube trays.

gtrtech

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you want to sell that 2 knuckle blade on the 2nd shelf send me a pm, Im infatuated with knuckle blades....
That is a 2 finger knuckle, Afrankart DFK mutant 1 of 10 made they originally sold for $40.00,and now due to demand I've seen people ask for anywhere from $500.00 to 700.00 for most any of his stuff.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I carry either a Spyderco Para Military II, Endura or Tenacious. Lately my favorite cheapo is a Kershaw Chill. Small, light and sharp.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMG_20140727_132215_357.jpg IMG_20140727_130929_664.jpg There's a gun & knife show in Raleigh,NC. next weekend 11/21-11/22. If you live close by you should check it out. Huge selections from many manufactures to local hand made knives. If you're going for ammo , get there day one in the morning. Ammo gets bought up quick. This thread has made me realise I need more knives . There is also usually one vendor selling vape gear.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
View attachment 33760 View attachment 33762 There's a gun & knife show in Raleigh,NC. next weekend 11/21-11/22. If you live close by you should check it out. Huge selections from many manufactures to local hand made knives. If you're going for ammo , get there day one in the morning. Ammo gets bought up quick. This thread has made me realise I need more knives . There is also usually one vendor selling vape gear.
Haha!!! Here in Louisiana, they can't keep ammo stock. Alot of us, repurpose the brass from the range.

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm a chef, so I got a bunch of kitchen knives, all japanese.
I wouldn't take a free shun.... no offense, they're garbage for working chefs, though they're fine for home chefs.

Excuse the bad photo.
These are my work knives. They earn me a decent salary. (Konosuke gyuto and sujihiki, yoshihiro yanagi)

Some fixed blades. (HI kukri, MLL gobi and scandi)

My busse collection.

Some folders, don't have a group picture.

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Few more.

And every knife keeper should sharpen their own knives.

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had a few shuns. Their vg10 chipped on sushi! I didn't even give these away, I trashed them (safely).

Now I heard they do a different heat treat, but now their handles are weird shaped and slippery!

They spend most their money advertising.
Brands like konosuke masamoto don't do any advertising and make a damn proper knife.

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had a few shuns. Their vg10 chipped on sushi! I didn't even give these away, I trashed them (safely).

Now I heard they do a different heat treat, but now their handles are weird shaped and slippery!

They spend most their money advertising.
Brands like konosuke masamoto don't do any advertising and make a damn proper knife.
My shuns are SG-2 steel, i personally love the handles and shape. But it's all personal preference.

Most the time I use my Wusthoffs because they are work horses and power thru anything I've thrown at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like wustof, they're ok as home beater knives.
They just don't perform like japanese knives to me.
Plus wustof have that ridiculous heel guard, makes sharpening a HUGE pain.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Knives Most Used 2015.jpg

I mostly carry utility knives.
--Milwaukee Fastback. Will not use anything else for work.
--Gerber EVO. Camping and hiking.
--Gerber EAB. Cheap, tiny, blade stays put.

Although I have a "full" set of kitchen knives, I embrace the concept of owning one great knife versus a set of cheaper ones. That one in the photo is a Henkels Pro S, 6" utility/sandwich knife. 16 years old, never put in the dishwasher. The Pro S's have great balance, and this one would be my pick for a first-buy.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's a good kitchen knife set that offeres the best bang for the buck. I'm thinking about this for a Christmas gift. Not the most expensive or the cheapest. But I'd rather spend a little more if it means they are good quality and will last a long time.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What's a good kitchen knife set that offeres the best bang for the buck. I'm thinking about this for a Christmas gift. Not the most expensive or the cheapest. But I'd rather spend a little more if it means they are good quality and will last a long time.

You might get good suggestions, but not even close to a consensus. Once someone is fan of a good knife, they won't change their mind easily. Me included.

If you're looking for a mid-priced knife, I have no idea. Just understand that there's a reason they might be mid-priced. The metal mix in the stainless is critical, as is the build grade (tang/handle/balance/metal thickness). This is a good time of year to get stuff like this, with holidays sales starting. Maybe head to a brick and mortar store and check some out, if you know how to spot a diamond in the rough.

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Most chefs I know will avoid any kitchen knife set. Rather they would buy Seperate good knives instead.

USMC8497

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My next purchase for heading out near the river. There is an area that I would like to clean up/improve upon for future visit and this is probably the best tool for the job. Next to the saw and axe for the larger shit.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I'm one of those chefs that avoided a whole set, professionally. I just prefer a different knife to bone a rabbit than I do to bone a chicken. Ita similar to vaping that way.
For a home set, its different imho.
Stay away from sets that claim to never go dull, like the JA Henckels ever edge. They never go dull because they don't last long enough to need an edge; or,worse they are serrated.
Henckels, Chicago Cutlery and Wustoff both make some sets that are perfect for home use. That's about where I would start.
Also that block they come with-throw it away! Even my home set is in a bag.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I appreciate the responses. This is definitely not for professional chef use . My wife does cook and currently has a Chicago Cutlery set that's been in use for many years and I was thinking of replacing it with something new as a Christmas gift.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm one of those chefs that avoided a whole set, professionally.
OK, Chef... question. I got curious and went to a few restaurant supply websites. Most of the knives I saw were quite inexpensive, including those ubiquitous white, hollow-handled ones. What quality is that metal? I do love my Henckels Pro S's, but I'd hate to think they're part of a home-cook marketing gimmick.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OK, Chef... question. I got curious and went to a few restaurant supply websites. Most of the knives I saw were quite inexpensive, including those ubiquitous white, hollow-handled ones. What quality is that metal? I do love my Henckels Pro S's, but I'd hate to think they're part of a home-cook marketing gimmick.
Those are generally regarded as disposable. they are good as work horses, but, do not cut nearly as cleanly as something high end.
Think of it like this, if you were w busy high volume establishment and were hiring inexpensive staff to do prep work, would you supply them with a 10$ blade or several, hundred dollar one?

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
would you supply them with a 10$ blade or several, hundred dollar one?
More than a fair point. Just one of a million reasons I'd never own a restaurant. Working in a couple allowed for mega-f-ton of perspective.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
More than a fair point. Just one of a million reasons I'd never own a restaurant. Working in a couple allowed for mega-f-ton of perspective.
Right? Like people are assholes and its an industry you either love or hate, haha

VU Sponsors