Become a Patron!

Why are they called ecigs?

hollynorth

Member For 4 Years
An electronic cigarette or e-cigarette is a handheld electronic device that creates an aerosol by heating a liquid. The user then inhales the aerosol. Using e-cigarettes is sometimes called vaping. The liquid in the e-cigarette, called e-liquid, is usually made of nicotine, propylene glycol, glycerine, and flavorings.Not all e-liquids contain nicotine. The health risks of e-cigarettes are uncertain. They are likely safer than tobacco cigarettes, E-cigarettes can help some smokers quit.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Interesting read. I don't really care what they are called. Vaporizer or Rig works for me. They don't produce smoke they produce vapor. So for all intents and purposes vaping is what I'm doing now not smoking. If you smoke and are using a rig to quit - Good For You!!!! If you are into vaping and have never smoked, but like the hobby side of it, or the flavors you can enjoy - Good for you!!!!

End of the day I am using my rig for a couple of reasons. First is to get off tobacco. Second I was in a motorcycle wreck in '08 where I lost my since of smell and taste. In the process of trying to find something I could taste I put on about 70 - 80 lbs. I have regained a portion of my ability to taste, but the ability to smell only comes along very occasionally and only for brief moments. When it happens I do not know what the smell is because I have forgotten what things smell like. So I figure quit smoking and in time I might actually regain a percentage of my ability to smell which will make what I can taste, taste even better. Right now though I can use my rig to quit smoking, enjoy the flavors that I can taste while vaping which will help me cut down on the munching. So with a little determination I can use this device to get back a part of my life and enjoy the process.

I will leave the semantics of what they are called or what the process of using them is called up to someone else to figure out that care about that stuff more than I do.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
who cares....the industry grew from nothing to a multi-billion dollar industry under the title of e-cigs.I don't think it matters a fig what it is called.

NineNine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
this is a huge point imo.. we talk a lot about "quit smoking cigarettes switch to vaping" when we should be saying "keep all the pleasures you get from smoking and take on less than 1% of the risk" .. as a community i think we should move towards communicating it this way, stress the fact that you arent quitting (or rather giving up) anything.. after they have converted then they can make the nic level decisions and what not. good article though
Agree 100%.

nethanpaul

Member For 2 Years
An electronic cigarette is an electronic device that simulates tobacco smoking. It consists of an atomizer, a power source such as a battery, and a container such as a cartridge or tank. Instead of smoke, the user inhales vapor. As such, using an e-cigarette is often called "vaping". The atomizer is a heating element that atomizes a liquid solution called e-liquid. E-cigarettes are activated by taking a puff or pressing a button. Hence the name “e” which stands for an electronic system.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@nethanpaul I'm not sure why you are raising all these old threads from the dead, but that's generally looked down on. Post on some active threads.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
An electronic cigarette is an electronic device that simulates tobacco smoking. It consists of an atomizer, a power source such as a battery, and a container such as a cartridge or tank. Instead of smoke, the user inhales vapor. As such, using an e-cigarette is often called "vaping". The atomizer is a heating element that atomizes a liquid solution called e-liquid. E-cigarettes are activated by taking a puff or pressing a button. Hence the name “e” which stands for an electronic system.
2c8b037c33bc9fba36d6851adcc03a16.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

1628418780903.png

There are millions of people in this world who are addicted to cigarette. This innovation has also become popular among smokers in world today is the Electronic Cigarette. As an alternative of tobacco this device uses e-juice to produce the e-vapour that the user inhales has the same taste as the conventional cigarette. it's the primary reason that this device has gained so much popularity and so many people are making the switch.
I agree with you. I have been smoking electronic cigarettes for several years, but I can't stop smoking.

Moderator edited out a spam link from lizajohn reply

Last edited by a moderator:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The state attorney general of Virginia, who is significantly more honest than his AG colleagues, made it clear that e-cigarette vapour is not smoke and cannot be defined as such under the law.

The water droplets are deliberately distinguished from asthma therapy sprays to mimic smoking: by making the water droplets visible, flavouring the vapour, providing a throat hit where necessary, and adding nicotine to produce cigarette-like effects.

It may appear like smoke and have the same texture, but it isn’t. You cannot smoke an e-cigarette.
To expand our user base, we must use smoking-related phrases. It may not always be necessary to do so, and perhaps the breakpoint will occur at around 25% of smoker conversions: the moment when a quarter of smokers have switched, and public awareness of the equipment and method will be widespread.

The above pull quotes illustrate why I feel we need not use smoking based language. We do not smoke, we vape. We have ample "user base" and for sure a "base" that comprehends the difference. Virginia knows tobacco, and its smoking, use.

Virginia used to house international headquarters for Philip Morris, the ones who created Marlboro cigarettes. The headquarters was in Richmond, VA. Know this because along with being the tobacco capital of the the world, VA is also poultry capital to the world. You learn that growing up there.

Recall growing up and Philip Morris making Marlboro lights. Everyone thought they lowered the nicotine content in the cigarettes. No, they lessened the tar content in them instead. Yes, commercial cigarette tobacco gets doused with tar.

Unlike cannabis products tobacco does not produce its own hash/resin material. Tar is used to help the nicotine coat the lungs. This in turn further fuels addiction, whilst also ensuring further ROI, more profits.

If tar is a surprise to you, ammonia used to boost the nicotine surely will be too. It and tar are widely used in making commercial tobacco cigarette products. The reasoning is as simple as ancient, greed.

Our vaping "base" would have continued growth if India had not categorically banned vaping. It also would grow if Big Tobacco, Big Pharma quit lobbying Big (Corrupt) Government to help end vaping because it threatens profits. There's no way anything against vaping at this point is in the interest of "public safety".

Sorry, did I drop my gloves?

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
200w.gif

jsbvape

Unlisted Vendor
the early vape was made looks like a cigarette. so they were called ecigs.
but now, after a few generations develop. we usually call they vape.

Edited- Moderator removed vendor link

Last edited by a moderator:

VU Sponsors