Become a Patron!

60mls from VaporWatch Music Contest

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And the winner is: @Jaimie Nicholas! Congrats Jaimie!

Please PM me your address and whatever 2 flavors you want from vapingwatch.com and I'll place the order.

Thanks to everyone for playing!
Congrats @Jaimie Nicholas - I see you share your love of Radiohead with @bluraff3 :)

And Owls? Really?! I haven't heard of/about them in years!

p.s.
Looks like @Jaimie Nicholas hasn't been on here since a couple of weeks ago - I hope she logs back on again...

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow The Pixies made your list twice huh? Did you ever listen to The Proclaimers or They Eat their Own?

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Congrats @Jaimie Nicholas - I see you share your love of Radiohead with @bluraff3 :)

And Owls? Really?! I haven't heard of/about them in years!
Owls is the BEST! I have been in love with this album since the day it came out. They just released their second album...14 years after the debut. I missed the show in Philly because I was doing frivolous things like watching my son be born (not sure if I will ever forgive him). Not a lot of people have heard these guys, the fact that you know them means you're doing something right!

FYI - If anyone looks into Owls, it's worth noting that there's another band call "The Owls" that isn't nearly as good. This Owls album features the Kinsella brothers.
p.s.
Looks like @Jaimie Nicholas hasn't been on here since a couple of weeks ago - I hope she logs back on again...
Good catch on that one. If I don't hear anything over the weekend, I will ask for some advice on how to deal with this. I'm thinking @VaporWatch might have some good advice.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow The Pixies made your list twice huh? Did you ever listen to The Proclaimers or They Eat their Own?
I'm a big Pixies fan. I spent most of middle school figuring out all of Kim Deal's bass lines. I still listen to Doolittle at least once a month. Bossanova, not as often, but it still has a special sentimental place in my heart. Surfa Rosa and Come on Pilgrim are fantastic albums as well (almost made the list). Trompe Le Monde has some good songs, but a lot of stuff that makes you realize it's a good thing they broke up. I cringe thinking that they are releasing new music now...

I have heard the Proclaimers, but couldn't put my finger on any of they're songs/albums. Never heard They Eat Their Own. I'll check them out. Thanks!

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm a big Pixies fan. I spent most of middle school figuring out all of Kim Deal's bass lines. I still listen to Doolittle at least once a month. Bossanova, not as often, but it still has a special sentimental place in my heart. Surfa Rosa and Come on Pilgrim are fantastic albums as well (almost made the list). Trompe Le Monde has some good songs, but a lot of stuff that makes you realize it's a good thing they broke up. I cringe thinking that they are releasing new music now...

I have heard the Proclaimers, but couldn't put my finger on any of they're songs/albums. Never heard They Eat Their Own. I'll check them out. Thanks!
Well now you have made me feel old since I was listening to them in college...

retired_man_dancing_happy_hg_clr.gif

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well now you have made me feel old since I was listening to them in college...

retired_man_dancing_happy_hg_clr.gif
Haha. Well this might make you feel even older: the pixies broke up probably a decade before I ever heard them...which was in middle school.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Owls is the BEST! I have been in love with this album since the day it came out. They just released their second album...14 years after the debut. I missed the show in Philly because I was doing frivolous things like watching my son be born (not sure if I will ever forgive him). Not a lot of people have heard these guys, the fact that you know them means you're doing something right!

FYI - If anyone looks into Owls, it's worth noting that there's another band call "The Owls" that isn't nearly as good. This Owls album features the Kinsella brothers.

Good catch on that one. If I don't hear anything over the weekend, I will ask for some advice on how to deal with this. I'm thinking @VaporWatch might have some good advice.
Owls is a local band, that's why. I'm sure I've seen them open for Local H (or maybe even Smashing Pumpkins) at the Metro. :)

That was another lifetime ago, however LOL. Were they just in Philly lately? Speaking of which, is Y100 still around? Was a big fan of their Sonic Sessions series...

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
NO MORE Y100 HERE IN PHILLY, I MISS THE SONIC SESSIONS ALSO. I HAD THE CHANCE TO SEE PHISH WHEN THEY DID THE SONIC SESSION. 93.3 IS THE EQUAL NOW TO Y100. PRESTON N STEVE ARE ON THERE

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Haha. Well this might make you feel even older: the pixies broke up probably a decade before I ever heard them...which was in middle school.
Ouch, I think that the first album I reviewed for my college newspaper was Doolittle. I haven't listened to them in a long time and just discovered that I appear to have lost my old cd's and never ripped them. :( Will have to see if my library has them one day.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Owls is a local band, that's why. I'm sure I've seen them open for Local H (or maybe even Smashing Pumpkins) at the Metro. :)

That was another lifetime ago, however LOL. Were they just in Philly lately? Speaking of which, is Y100 still around? Was a big fan of their Sonic Sessions series...
Funny, I almost added a post that my son, who has autism and turns 11 next month, has been sleeping down in my mancave when his mom works overnights and I listen to music while he falls asleep. I had Billy Corgen's "The Future Embrace" playing and he popped up his head to see who it was and is hooked now, so I have to play it every time he goes to bed down here now. :)

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Oh that's awesome. Chicago has a great music scene. Yeah they just did a tour for their new album.

Sadly, Y100 has been dead for a while now. I rarely listen to radio these days.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny, I almost added a post that my son, who has autism and turns 11 next month, has been sleeping down in my mancave when his mom works overnights and I listen to music while he falls asleep. I had Billy Corgen's "The Future Embrace" playing and he popped up his head to see who it was and is hooked now, so I have to play it every time he goes to bed down here now. :)
That's awesome. Slip in some Landslide and see if he likes that one too :)

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NO MORE Y100 HERE IN PHILLY, I MISS THE SONIC SESSIONS ALSO. I HAD THE CHANCE TO SEE PHISH WHEN THEY DID THE SONIC SESSION. 93.3 IS THE EQUAL NOW TO Y100. PRESTON N STEVE ARE ON THERE
Too bad, I used to seek out the Sonic Sessions albums. I like those live radio appearance recordings esp. if they're all acoustic... does 93.3 have an equivalent?

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh that's awesome. Chicago has a great music scene. Yeah they just did a tour for their new album.

Sadly, Y100 has been dead for a while now. I rarely listen to radio these days.
Yep, sad to hear about Y100 - guess they went the way of Q101 as well. Do they have an online station at least? I hardly even listen to the radio myself either, though.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Stopped listening to the radio years ago. I can't stand listening to commercials. Don't watch any TV "live" either. Record it all and skip the commercials unless I'm focused on something else. Actually with my memory issues now, I don't even watch shows until the season is over because I literally can't remember what happened from week to week and most of the shows I watch have at least an underlying story winding through them even if it isn't the focus of the current episode.

And 500 Miles reminds me of good times with my daughter. We used to blast that in the car and sing it together.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's really cool man. My son's almost 3 months old and I can't wait until he gets into music. I assume he will be a lot like me and get into the music his dad (and mom) like for a while and then move on to find newer stuff that his parents don't understand at all.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ouch, I think that the first album I reviewed for my college newspaper was Doolittle. I haven't listened to them in a long time and just discovered that I appear to have lost my old cd's and never ripped them. :( Will have to see if my library has them one day.
I got rid of my cds a long time ago. Fortunately, I made sure to rip them all before I gave them away (that took a while). To this day though, I'm still finding mp3s that have annoying skips on them because the cds were scratched when I ripped them.

Growing up, I always thought vinyl records were so antiquated; never thought that I would think the same of CDs, but I do. In fact, I am much more likely to buy a vinyl than a CD at this point.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, my daughter was a total tomboy. Used to ride dirt bikes with me and she was really into soccer for a while which is one of the few sports I actually like. Coached her teams until my wife got tired of me getting worked up about coaches and referees not knowing the rules of the game. My Asperger's causes me to not let things go like actually following rules...

She eventually moved on to softball which I hated at first because I baseball bores me to sleep, but she because a pitcher and I caught for her during practice, lessons and warm ups. We are really close and always had a good time together.

She just started college and had to stop playing softball the year after her first back surgery at 16 :( and has started moving over the dark girly side... wearing makeup, skirts, and stuff. But now she is getting closer to her mom which is a good thing because I think she has always been jealous of how close we are.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got rid of my cds a long time ago. Fortunately, I made sure to rip them all before I gave them away (that took a while). To this day though, I'm still finding mp3s that have annoying skips on them because the cds were scratched when I ripped them.

Growing up, I always thought vinyl records were so antiquated; never thought that I would think the same of CDs, but I do. In fact, I am much more likely to buy a vinyl than a CD at this point.
I kept all the CD's, except I left a big organizer of them in my car for while in California during the summer and something caused most of them to get some sort of weird milky film almost like milk had crusted up on them. They wouldn't play at all after that. Guess the Pixies must have been one of them. Lost a lot of The Cure, Fish, The Sex Pistols, The Henry Rollins Band, actually most of my punk :( it was always good driving music :)

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
CONGRATS @Jaimie Nicholas!!!! AFTER SEEING ALL THE POSTS IN THIS THREAD I SURE DIDNT THINK 2ND PLACE WOULD BE MINE....
You took second place with the Velvet Underground (the original awesome VU). Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of Loaded. My brother-in-law loves it and we've been debating it's merits for years. To me, it just doesn't sound like the VU at all. There are good songs on it, but it sounds like a totally different band (but with Lou still singing).

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You took second place with the Velvet Underground (the original awesome VU). Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of Loaded. My brother-in-law loves it and we've been debating it's merits for years. To me, it just doesn't sound like the VU at all. There are good songs on it, but it sounds like a totally different band (but with Lou still singing).
IM A HUGE PHISH FAN AND ONLY GOT INTO VU AFTER THEY COVERED LOADED ON HALLOWEEN. ITS HAS SINCE BECOME ONE OF MY GO TO ALBUMS. CONGRATS ON YOUR NEWBORN SON I READ A FEW POSTS BACK. MY SON IS TWO MONTHS AWAY FROM ENTERING OUR WORLD AND I TOO CAN NOT WAIT TO SHOW HIM THE BEAUTIFUL WORLD OF MUSIC.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IM A HUGE PHISH FAN AND ONLY GOT INTO VU AFTER THEY COVERED LOADED ON HALLOWEEN. ITS HAS SINCE BECOME ONE OF MY GO TO ALBUMS. CONGRATS ON YOUR NEWBORN SON I READ A FEW POSTS BACK. MY SON IS TWO MONTHS AWAY FROM ENTERING OUR WORLD AND I TOO CAN NOT WAIT TO SHOW HIM THE BEAUTIFUL WORLD OF MUSIC.
Congrats man! Being a father is the best thing that's ever happened to me!

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I cant wait for him to get done cooking. Ive been wanting a child for sometime now. I have beautiful step children but there is that missing link. Its gonna beamazing

Vapetronics

Member For 4 Years
My top 5:
*Pink Floyd: Dark side of the moon
*Led Zeppelin IV
*Peter Frampton comes Alive
*Pearl Jam Ten
*Van Halen I (1978)

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
oh guess i didn't win. ha, like that's anything new.

anyway congrats to whoever did!

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Ahhh... I'm sorry, next time I win, I'll PIF you :)

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

That was my attitude until the mega VaporWatch contest. Don't give up!

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here are my top 5

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
The Beatles - White Album
Led Zeppelin - IV
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
AC/DC - Back in Black
If this were my Dad's contest, I think this post would have won.

I used to be really into Pink Floyd, but I can't remember the last time I listened to a whole album. Dark Side is a masterpiece. I really like Saucer Full of Secrets. I still think they have have some of the best guitar solos of all time. Nothing flashy, just very musically fitting.

As expected, there were a lot of Beatles entries. If I were making a list of my top songs, the Beatles would definitely be on it a few times, but I have found it hard to listen to their albums in full. Every one of them has a handful of songs that are unbearable (at least to me). White Album is probably my favorite though.

After I made my list, I was shocked that Rumours fell off of it. Fantastic album. I just listened to it the other day and as usual, found myself asking "How did they jam so many hits into one album?"

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Social distortion- live at the roxy
rush- a farewell to kings
Dropkick murphys- blackout
Metallica- master of puppets
Iron maiden- number of the beast
Sorry to all the metal heads who entered, it's just not my thing. I don't dislike metal, necessarily, but it's never something I actively try to listen to. With that said, these are probably 3 of the best metal albums I have heard. My buddy taught me how to play the intro to Master of Puppets on guitar before I ever knew how to play any instruments. He was impressed with my ability to pick it up, but noted that I was terrible at playing chords and that I should probably try being a bass player. I've now been playing bass for a majority of my life and I've loved every minute of it. Thanks Master of Puppets!

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry to all the metal heads who entered, it's just not my thing. I don't dislike metal, necessarily, but it's never something I actively try to listen to. With that said, these are probably 3 of the best metal albums I have heard. My buddy taught me how to play the intro to Master of Puppets on guitar before I ever knew how to play any instruments. He was impressed with my ability to pick it up, but noted that I was terrible at playing chords and that I should probably try being a bass player. I've now been playing bass for a majority of my life and I've loved every minute of it. Thanks Master of Puppets!
Also, not a big Social D fan, but the Dropkick Murphys are a fun band. I saw them at Warped tour a long time ago.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Enigma-MCMXC-AD
Face to Face-Don't Turn Away
Hank III-Rebel Within
Jose Gonzales-Veneer
Coheed and Cambria-Second Stage Turbine Blade
Face to Face, now there's one that brings me back. I can't even remember any of there songs at this point. I have to see if I ave this album on my old harddrive. Veneer is a very good album. I've been meaning to check out Hank III for a while now. I used to think that I hate country, but I actually just hate pop country and don't know enough to find the good stuff.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cool contest! :) Here are a few albums that come to mind:

1. Carmina Burana - Carl Orff
2. Revolver - The Beatles
3. The Nutcracker Suite - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
4. The White Album - The Beatles
5. Rubber Soul - The Beatles

I was a band and orchestra geek, sang in choirs, and took dance lessons for a number of years. As a result, I have an eclectic taste in music.
Band geek here as well, but mostly jazz band. I always told myself that the rhythm section of the jazz band were at least the coolest of the band geeks.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Pat Methaney Group - Secret Story
Jon and Vangelis - Friends of Mr. Cairo
Enigma - The Cross of Changes
Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder
Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children

Very Honorable Mention:
The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Tannahill Weavers - Cullen Bay
Tannahill Weavers - Capernaum
Chinga Chavin - Country Porn
David Allen Coe - Underground Album
Shel Silverstein - Freakin' at the Freakers Ball

Now that is eclectic!
Pat Methany...shit that guy wrote some crazy time signatures. I always thought I was good at playing in odd times until my band instructor put some Methaney in front of us.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice contest bluraff3. My musical tastes run the gamut so here are mine in no particular order. The songs on these albums I could listen to everyday and never get tired of them. I feel pretty much the same for the honorable mentions.

Genesis - Abacab
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Bob Marley - Legend
Eric Clapton - Slow Hand
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Honorable Mentions
U2 - Joshua Tree
MJ - Off the Wall
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Pearl Jam - Ten
Slowhand and Kind of Blue were two that just barely missed the cut. I think my favorite Miles album is Tribute to Jack Johnson. In retrospect, I think that should have cracked the list.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good god people. This is how you win:

• King Crimson- anything from the Belew era
  • Baroness- Yellow/Green LPs
  • Guided By Voices- Bee Thousand
  • The Posies- Frosting on the Beater
  • Afghan Whigs- Gentlemen

• BONUS! Midlake- The Trials of Van Occupanther
(Kidding - i actually love ALL of the choices above, without exception!!*)

*ok maybe Nickelback is an exception
I think this is my favorite entry, although it registered no points. Bee Thousand is a great album that doesn't get enough hype. Missed the cut though (I didn't get into this album until the last few years, I think it has a special place in a lot of people's hearts, I just haven't had enough time with it yet).

Never heard Baroness. Should I check them out?

Nickelback is one of the worst bands I have ever heard. The fact that they are so popular makes me question the state of our society.

Reactions: jae

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Built To Spill - You In Reverse
REM- Automatic For The People
Evanescence - Fallen
Garbage - Garbage
Live - Throwing Copper

not necessarily my top 5 of all time, but just ones i could think of that i love at this time of night.
You in Reverse. Nice! that's another one that I haven't listened to in a long time, gotta break out the harddrive.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Beatles - White Album
Bob Marley - Legends
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Eagles - Hotel California
Jimmy Buffet - Songs You Know by Heart
If this were a contest for favorite TV shows, I have a feeling you would have scored very well.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We do need more shout outs to women! Here are mine, in no particular order:

Tori Amos
Sarah McLachlan
Karen Carpenter
Alanis Morisette
Esthero
Natalie Merchant
Joni Mitchell
Fiona Apple
Billie Holiday
Patsy Cline

And soooo many more awesome women!
After reading this post, I realized there are only like 7 female musicians on my list, none of them solo artists. This is a fantastic list though!

My last band spent a few months recording an album that ending in a week long lockdown in a studio in Pittsburgh. By the end, we were completely sick of all of our songs, but we had 2 shows lined up that next weekend. We quickly threw together a set of Sarah McLachlan and Paula Cole covers. It rocked. We ended up breaking up shortly after and never even mixed the album :(

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh man, this is tough. I'm kind of indiepop obsessed, and I fear my taste might not be all that shared, but I'll list my favorites anyway.

The Lucksmiths - Warmer Corners
The Mountain Goats - Sunset Tree
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Blueboy - If Wishes Were Horses
If this were my wife's contest, you would have won. She LOVES the Magnetic Fields. I think they're good, but I don't know how she can sit though 69 of their songs in a row so many times. We saw them in Philly a few years ago and it was the worst show I have ever been to. They opened the show by stating that they hate Philadelphia and were not happy to be here. They then berated the audience for taking pictures and singing along at several points throughout the show. I think they also made a deliberate effort to play the slowest songs in their repertoire. I think are talented, but man, they are a bunch of assholes.

My wife's been trying to get me into B&S for a while now. I think I'm starting to come around.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, here goes... (in no particular order)

Led Zeppelin III
Genesis - TLLDOB
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (I saw them do this in concert!!)

Honorable mention:
Jeff Beck - Truth
Marc-Almond - 1st LP
Robert Fripp - Exposure
Love - Forever Changes
Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On
The Beatles - Rubber Soul & Revolver
Todd Rundgren - Hermit of Mink Hollow
John Mayall - Blues from Laurel Canyon
Jethro Tull - early stuff, up to and including Thick as a Brick
Yes - Time and a Word, The Yes Album & Fragile
Mothers of Invention - Freak Out & Absolutely Free
Traffic - Mr. Fantasy & Shootout at the Fantasy Factory
Pink Floyd - everything up to, but not including 'Darkside', & The Wall
(plus any of Syd Barrett's recordings)
All of the early Genesis LPs with Perter Gabriel...
(and most of his solo stuff, too)
Anything by Peter Hammill and/or VDGG!!!

I could go on, but I won't... :rolleyes: LOL!!
(yes, I'm basically a 'Prog Head'... and no, there wasn't really any good music past the 70's!! LOL)

Thanks!!
Hot Rats!

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Twenty one Pilots - Vessel
Neil Young - Harvest
Toby Keith - How do you like me now?
Rush - Moving Pictures
Meatloaf - Bat outta hell
Love Bat Outta Hell. There's this dive bar in my home town where the owner totally scrubbed the contents of the digital jukebox, most songs on there cost $.50, but his favorites are only $.25 and Bat Outta Hell and Close to the Edge by Yes are two of them. Every time I go in, the first thing I do is put in $.50, pick those 2 songs and rock out for almost 30 minutes!

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nirvana, unplugged
Nas,illimatic
Wutang, forever
Smashing pumpkins, Siamese dream
Nirvana,never mind
Almost missed the Wutang entry. 36 chambers just missed the cut. Illmatic is great too!

Have you ever listened to MF Doom? He's pretty silly, but he definitely raps in a similar vain as Wutang. I think his best work is with Madlib on the Madvillain album. I'm not the biggest hip hop fan, so I don't know how much my opinion counts on the matter, but I think Madvillainy is the greatest rap album of all time.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
One of my fav songs of all time:

Not sure why, but ever since my son was born, I can't stop listening to Astral Weeks. It's the perfect Van Morrison album. His vocals work perfectly over the free-flowing folk-jazz instrumental. The whole album just has this amazing atmosphere to it.

Last edited:

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think this is my favorite entry, although it registered no points. Bee Thousand is a great album that doesn't get enough hype. Missed the cut though (I didn't get into this album until the last few years, I think it has a special place in a lot of people's hearts, I just haven't had enough time with it yet).

Never heard Baroness. Should I check them out?

Nickelback is one of the worst bands I have ever heard. The fact that they are so popular makes me question the state of our society.
Definitely check out Baroness! They're really special. The Red and Blue LPs were more metal/hard rock, but the Green/Yellow double LP is really cool and different, very atmospheric in spots. All very excellent records!

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Too bad, I used to seek out the Sonic Sessions albums. I like those live radio appearance recordings esp. if they're all acoustic... does 93.3 have an equivalent?
If anything maybe 102.9, my reason for 93.3 is the preston and steve show in the morning followed by Pierre Robeer ( sorry spelling on last name). He still uses vinyl from time to time and you can actually call there and request a song. They still have some old school to them that i find has become a lost art in the radio world.

VapeOn86

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not sure why, but ever since my son was born, I can't stop listening to Astral Weeks. It's the perfect Van Morrison album. His vocals work perfectly over the free-flowing folk-jazz instrumental. The whole album just has this amazing atmosphere to it.

That's funny... My 6 year old daughter and I were completely rocking out in the car to Van Morrison yesterday. We were sitting in a parking lot and I was teaching her about "air" guitar, piano, drums, etc. People were staring but we didn't care...lol :)

VU Sponsors