Become a Patron!

a home for old school genisis users.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For whatever reason it has generally been thought that mesh is the best wick for tobaccos, in regards to flavor,.....cotton in regards to ease of changing out wicks....the mesh sock on the cable gave me good flavor, I don't know if I'm just resistant to change,but I thought the whole mesh wick gave just a little bit better flavor.
Use to use my genny tanks with cotton at first since it took me a second to get mesh sorted out right. After that I enjoyed the ease of mesh as well as the flavor. Cotton always dried out on me and I wasn't a fan of having told ever time I took a puff from my mod.

Podunk Steam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oh I agree with you, I prefer the flavor from mesh over cable as well.
Both holding the cable off the bottom and sleeving the wick hole can help a little with the heat held by the cable, it's the only down point of using the cable. I used to wash the inner sleeves from old cartomizers and use them to sleeve the wick holes. Are you using 7x19 or 7x7 cable? I'd guess one has slightly less metal mass than the other, my wager's on the 7x7 because it does have larger tunnels in it than 7x19.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using 7X19....the wick being a heat sink and cooking the juice is the biggest bugaboo with gennys, the way I got around it with mesh is by making the wick very short,perhaps shortening the cable would accomplish the same thing.

Podunk Steam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I pulled an old cable wick out of a genny today, cleaned it up , cut it to size and pulled the center strand out. Wrapped in well oxidized mesh and slipped it down over an IN'AX center post.
First impression, not bad at all, ugly build I may be able to clean in the future but it's functioning perfectly at the moment. So far this test was successful and it's likely to lead to a similar build on the NextGen. Ooops forgot to mention it's Ni 200 32 ga. twisted wrapped on 500 mesh on 7, now 6x19 cable showing.1 ohm so it really should be about .126 or so.
IMG_20150616_172106_zpswu9hlce6.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I'm so glad to find this thread! I'm definitely old school and a hard core genny user. I love rolling my own mesh wicks, winding my own coils, and vaping my own DIY juice. So very nice to see there are genny users here :)

I have a DID on the way from MM Vapors, it shipped this morning with my Poldiac, and I recently got an authentic Kraken for $80 and put it right on my new Atmizoo Roller. I love my Krakenroller! I used RSST's for a long time, until I decided to try something new, hence the Kraken, which I love. I also have an Origen V2 genny on the way.

I've settled into a .7 ohm build with 26 kanthal on 400 mesh, and I'm supremely happy with that. The kids can play with their electro-gimmick boxes all they want, I'll just stick with my mechs and gennies.

The RSST is a piece of crap....

That has not been my experience at all. I used them for two years, and still use them occasionally. I have 4 of them and never had problems with them. They always delivered a good vape for me. Sorry you didn't have the same results.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That has not been my experience at all. I used them for two years, and still use them occasionally. I have 4 of them and never had problems with them. They always delivered a good vape for me. Sorry you didn't have the same results.
You and I have had this conversation before...LOL.... you have my permission to wax poeticly about your RSSTs all you want , and I give myself permission to recommend to newbies not to waste their time with them.They just don't deliver on flavor.
I think the orginny is going to blow your socks off, and have you throwing those rssts, and the kraken in the dustbin.either way happy to see you here.I recognize you from ECF...hard to forget somebody who actually LIKES the rsst.
I started this thread because so very few people use gennys anymore,and I don't speakee sub ohm tank.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I pulled an old cable wick out of a genny today, cleaned it up , cut it to size and pulled the center strand out. Wrapped in well oxidized mesh and slipped it down over an IN'AX center post.
First impression, not bad at all, ugly build I may be able to clean in the future but it's functioning perfectly at the moment. So far this test was successful and it's likely to lead to a similar build on the NextGen. Ooops forgot to mention it's Ni 200 32 ga. twisted wrapped on 500 mesh on 7, now 6x19 cable showing.1 ohm so it really should be about .126 or so.
IMG_20150616_172106_zpswu9hlce6.jpg
What happened to the deck of this in'ax why is it all pitted. from what I've heard the in'ax blows the nextgen out of the water flavor wise...I tried the nextgen I wasn't impressed with the flavor it delivered.

Last edited:

Podunk Steam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The pulse G in my opinion one of the best gennys ever built.......
I absolutely agree!
What happened to the deck of this in'ax why is it all pitted.
It's not pitted, it's liquid on the deck.
from what I've heard the in'ax blows the nextgen out of the water flavor wise...I tried the nextgen I wasn't impressed with the flavor it delivered.
I've found both builds to be a bit tricky although I'm going TC with them too. I'm with the build dependent camp myself preferring the Nextgen for ease of build.
ECF can go suck eggs, Marxist BS forum. If a product sucks I shouldn't have to stand by and let someone waste money on it, gag order BS going on over there!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know I have found that you can wrap the coil of the pulse G just like an In'ax or a nextgen....I just leave the center post off and then wrap my coil, then install the center post works great.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't want to go up, I'm an electro gizmo kid at 48 and just got myself into a DNA 200 board. I just can't help but enjoy Ni200 on mesh. The picture is mesh on cable wrapped with Ni200.
IMG_20150213_134603_zpsp9c6menc.jpg

So waht is the advantage of using a mod with a DNA 200 chip ...what does it do to the vape over a mech mod.

Podunk Steam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I pull the chamber reducer and wrap the coil on the wick first, just a little easier for me. The IN'AX seems to want to spin at the top a lot of the time. The Nextgen I wrap from the top down after locking the coil wire in place.

The DNA 200 is vastly adaptable, you can change time points in the power delivery curve through the duration of the vape. It's a pretty advanced board you can monitor with your computer while vaping and even test your device.
I haven't built mine yet but have been studying on the board through the early adopters forum.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah I wrap my pulse the same way.....the in'ax I've heard by several folks has that spinning problem, that and the 1.5 ml tank are downsides.....I smoked for 30 years....at one time or another I stole cigs from my parents,smoked cigs laced with tons of chemicals,rolled my own in brown paper, smoked cigs so stale they were powdered, dug through ashtrays looking for ggod size butts to smoke, smoked cigs I'd left in a coat pocket for a month....hell I've been so desperate I've smoked menthols.........I really don't need to monitor my vape on a computer......LOL

90quattrocoupe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like my Krakens for Gennies. I use them with a dual micro 2.1mm coils at .45ohms and folded over 1.5mm silica wick pulled through the coils. Simple to build and simple to rewick. Pull the silica after a week, burn the gunk off the coils, and pull new silica through the coils. I like the Krakens because of the AFC, which most Gennies do not have.

About the only topper I use besides my modified Orchids. I only use drippers for testing juice.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is good you have an opinion. Of course, most people with any manners, would have never made that statement, in public.
maybe you should write a coulmn in the paper like Dear Abbey for people who give a fuck about your personal view of social ettiqutte....I don't...I started this thread so people could discuss gennys, their experinces and opinions, actually the whole point of the thread was for people to give their opinions,,,it wasn't started as a quilting bee for priggish amish grannies, to school people in the fine art of scphincter retention.
bye the bye miss manners perhaps you could give us a list of how many gennys you actually have and the ones you've actually owned.As most genheads own more than ONE genny.

Last edited:

Mildred Studebaker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice to see others using gennies. I thought I might be the last one in Florida. I've not seen another genny user in 2 years, and they don't sell them in the stores anymore.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice to see others using gennies. I thought I might be the last one in Florida. I've not seen another genny user in 2 years, and they don't sell them in the stores anymore.
No, they don't and fewer and fewer modders are designing any new ones...actually I'm looking for a facebook page that is devoted to selling and trading highend gennys.....my hope is the collecters will follow trends and sell off their highend gennys to buy the new highend regulated mods.

Mildred Studebaker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No, they don't and fewer and fewer modders are designing any new ones...actually I'm looking for a facebook page that is devoted to selling and trading highend gennys.....my hope is the collecters will follow trends and sell off their highend gennys to buy the new highend regulated mods.

That's my hope too, and I'm looking around on Reddit for gennies others don't want anymore. I found a Z Atty U for $50, and I'm after an AC9 right now, but no luck yet. I did find a local store that has old stock authentic gennies, and I got my first authentic Kraken there for $80. I use nothing but gennies on mechs.

zrckm8T.jpg

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
AC9 why bother?......or a zen for that matter..collectble but not great vapes... I'm after a hellfire, H-atty,bmg22, calibre, or pegasus 22.or rocket.

Mildred Studebaker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
AC9 why bother?......or a zen for that matter..collectble but not great vapes... I'm after a hellfire, H-atty,bmg22, calibre, or pegasus 22.or rocket.

It's a collection thing. The AC9 was at the heart of the big vape opera that brought down Vapinaze, and a part of vaping history. The Z Atty U is just something I want in my collection. I'm finding myself rather interested in the Pulse G lately.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
highly recommend the Pulse G...yep the Z-atty and the AC 9 are both milestone attys....not just for genny users but vaping in general...they both sort of helped breach the wall for highend vaping

Mildred Studebaker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ya know, back when I started vaping gennies were the hot ticket, and the young fellas in the stores had them and talked on and on about them. If you could build one sub-ohm you were "cool" I guess. Well they were a hell of a lot better than what I was using, so I learned how to build them, and after I'd done that I didn't care for anything else. They work for me and I'm happy with them. I'm too old to switch now, and I'm not going back to Camels.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got mine from 310 vapers a couple three years back...I think I paid 140.00 for it....I think it's one of the best gennys ever built....the flavor is incredible...I drilled out one of the airholes just a tiny bit.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya know, back when I started vaping gennies were the hot ticket, and the young fellas in the stores had them and talked on and on about them. If you could build one sub-ohm you were "cool" I guess. Well they were a hell of a lot better than what I was using, so I learned how to build them, and after I'd done that I didn't care for anything else. They work for me and I'm happy with them. I'm too old to switch now, and I'm not going back to Camels.
I agree....I haven't found a vape yet I enjoy as much as gennys.

Mildred Studebaker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got mine from 310 vapers a couple three years back...I think I paid 140.00 for it....I think it's one of the best gennys ever built....the flavor is incredible...

Well then, I shall have to get one if I can find it at a price I can afford. Maybe I can talk my son into getting it for me, he's the one that got me started vaping, he gave me that RSST and showed me how to get it working.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
there's a clone I don't know if it's worth a shit....you might be able to find one used but in my experince the people that have them won't let go of them...it unfortunately came out about the same time as the kraken so the kreaken got all the hype and the pulse flew under the radar....but yeah look around you might find a used one...kidney puncher has the clone.

Mildred Studebaker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
there's a clone I don't know if it's worth a shit....you might be able to find one used but in my experince the people that have them won't let go of them...it unfortunately came out about the same time as the kraken so the kreaken got all the hype and the pulse flew under the radar....but yeah look around you might find a used one...kidney puncher has the clone.

Speaking of the Kraken, it's made by Vicious Ant. I really think they should have called themselves Vicious Arthropod. I don't see any ant logo on the device. Yes, maybe I can find a used Pulse somewhere. There are a lot of people who buy gennies and find themselves unable to build them or even roll a mesh wick, and they just throw them in a drawer. Lots of people don't want to invest the time and patience in learning how to build a genny right.

Podunk Steam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have a few clone Pulse G that have been well worth the $10 or so I spent on each of them. FT used to carry them.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have several Gennies. This RSST was a gift from My Freedom Smokes. I use it all the time. Tobacco tastes like do do to me now. Had it over a year. That's Bing Cherry in the tank. Takes skill to make them work. IMG_0065[1].JPG

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Dug out my old Pyrex RSST the other day and have totally fallen back in love with gennys. I actually ordered two more (an Origenny clone and a Nahualon clone.) this weekend. I think two things are contributing to my newly rekindled love of these. One, my building skills have gotten much better than when I first bought it and two, regulated devices have gotten a lot better over the past couple years in terms of output and flexibility. Mechs are fine and I drip on them quite a bit but there's less constraint in building on a regulated device. Temp control looks very interesting for gennys an I think a TC build will be going into something very soon.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's my hope too, and I'm looking around on Reddit for gennies others don't want anymore. I found a Z Atty U for $50, and I'm after an AC9 right now, but no luck yet. I did find a local store that has old stock authentic gennies, and I got my first authentic Kraken there for $80. I use nothing but gennies on mechs.

zrckm8T.jpg
Now that's just pretty! Good for you.:)

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, VU was the last place i expected to see an ongoing genisis tank discussion, good job @pulsevape

Vaping got me off smoking cigarettes, but it's the genisis atomizer that got me off the cloud-bro, high volume vaping; which I now equate to drinking beer out of a plastic tube and funnel in a parking lot vs a beer out of a cold, tall glass inside a proper pub LOL. Same consumable liquid, just different way to enjoy it ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, VU was the last place i expected to see an ongoing genisis tank discussion, good job @pulsevape

Vaping got me off smoking cigarettes, but it's the genisis atomizer that got me off the cloud-bro, high volume vaping; which I now equate to drinking beer out of a plastic tube and funnel in a parking lot vs a beer out of a cold, tall glass inside a proper pub LOL. Same consumable liquid, just different way to enjoy it ;)

LOL...I equate it with drinking a 40 of malt liqour with having a glass of an excellent Pinot Noir...or string cheese compared to a parmiggano reggano...but just because they sell a helluva alot of malt liquor doesn't make it good....

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
And yet I cranked through 6ml of juice in my RSST alone yesterday at Vapemania up in Winston-Salem... and I think I was the only one in the building with a genny in possession.

In other news, the Nahualon clone I ordered is stuck one county away due to Labor Day after making it across the country.... grrrr.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And yet I cranked through 6ml of juice in my RSST alone yesterday at Vapemania up in Winston-Salem... and I think I was the only one in the building with a genny in possession.

In other news, the Nahualon clone I ordered is stuck one county away due to Labor Day after making it across the country.... grrrr.

I'm guessing your rsst is setup quite airy with a below 1ohm build?

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some geninis pics ;)

Origenny clone (what I lend out to friends looking to learn how to build)
2gt27lv.jpg

20mm MCR303 & MCR101SL
2u9pds5.jpg

SAT22 & Mikro Engineering MKIII (Sold it recently)
etweow.jpg

Kraken & MCR101 (my least favorite genisis tank, sold it a while back)
34dra15.jpg

Rocket R & Paps V4 with MCR303 & Mikro Engineering Defender
bg7eh3.jpg

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
how's the origeny..with mesh I know alot of twats are stuffing cotton in that genny....I heard people had alot of problems with the clone, it shorted out....I found the sat a little tight for my tastes the kraken ,,,meh...never liked that thing.....that rocket is a beauty...hows the mcr...

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm guessing your rsst is setup quite airy with a below 1ohm build?

.9 ohms, and what I'd call a "loose mouth to lung but too tight to lung hit" draw. It is at 32 watts though...

359e7ef8917268a96dfab084ab7155dd.jpg

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its super easy to build and setup, and the adjustable airflow is great for beginners so they can have the option to try an airer/tighter draw without having to permanently damage the atomizer. It also gives the option for dual/single/U-wicking as well as an open chamber vs closed off chamber. Basically, you can run all sorts of setups to figure out what you like before getting something else.

Yeah, you can use it with cotton, its actually designed to accommodate it, but if you are going to use cotton, no sense even get into a genisis tank, you will be far better off with a Kayfun/Taifun/Squape/ etc...

Personally, for me, I don't like adjustable airflow/chamber, I'm fine with a permanently fixed airflow with a micro chamber since I'm pretty set on what I like now:

158bn9z.jpg

2dul6kp.jpg

If the Sat was too tight, then you wont like the RocketR in its stock configuration, even less the MCR or Hellfire atties. Fortunately, you can have the Rocket cap (and MCR) bored out to your preference.

Flavor wise, both the MCR and Rocket-R are my top 2 picks of all the genisis tanks I've used or tried so far. Overall though, I wouldn't trade the Rocket-R for anything out there, its the first genisis, or any atomizer for that matter that actually checked off all the boxes for me.

Close second is the Squape R (s) since it works great with mesh ;) For me, its my leak-proof genisis that I take with me for travels. The only downside is the chamber is really setup for cotton builds so flavor isn't as intense as a proper genisis. Still, its close enough ;)

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.9 ohms, and what I'd call a "loose mouth to lung but too tight to lung hit" draw. It is at 32 watts though...

359e7ef8917268a96dfab084ab7155dd.jpg

Wow 32 watts :D

I only use mechs so I think my max wattage would be somewhere around 15-17 watts, takes me about 2 days to kill 2mls, but then again, I don't vape as much now that I've upped my nic level to 12mg. If I chain vape 3-4 pulls I can definitely feel the nic kicking into overdrive.

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I only use mechs so I think my max wattage would be somewhere around 15-17 watts, takes me about 2 days to kill 2mls, but then again, I don't vape as much now that I've upped my nic level to 12mg. If I chain vape 3-4 pulls I can definitely feel the nic kicking into overdrive.
I've been repainting my kitchen cabinets this week and went to a vaping convention yesterday. It tends to caramelize on the wicks a bit faster than it should, but I like a warm vape.

23c9595d6355cea65e87b060fbc20511.jpg

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its super easy to build and setup, and the adjustable airflow is great for beginners so they can have the option to try an airer/tighter draw without having to permanently damage the atomizer. It also gives the option for dual/single/U-wicking as well as an open chamber vs closed off chamber. Basically, you can run all sorts of setups to figure out what you like before getting something else.

Yeah, you can use it with cotton, its actually designed to accommodate it, but if you are going to use cotton, no sense even get into a genisis tank, you will be far better off with a Kayfun/Taifun/Squape/ etc...

Personally, for me, I don't like adjustable airflow/chamber, I'm fine with a permanently fixed airflow with a micro chamber since I'm pretty set on what I like now:

158bn9z.jpg

2dul6kp.jpg

If the Sat was too tight, then you wont like the RocketR in its stock configuration, even less the MCR or Hellfire atties. Fortunately, you can have the Rocket cap (and MCR) bored out to your preference.

Flavor wise, both the MCR and Rocket-R are my top 2 picks of all the genisis tanks I've used or tried so far. Overall though, I wouldn't trade the Rocket-R for anything out there, its the first genisis, or any atomizer for that matter that actually checked off all the boxes for me.

Close second is the Squape R (s) since it works great with mesh ;) For me, its my leak-proof genisis that I take with me for travels. The only downside is the chamber is really setup for cotton builds so flavor isn't as intense as a proper genisis. Still, its close enough ;)

From your vaping style, and a few other refrences such as Pub, pint,and hellfire and MCR I'm going to guess your and English pantyhampster...LOL.I know a tighter draw seems more popular among English genheads I attribute this to the fact they could never stand the idea of defacing a hellfire...yeah over the years I've vaped my gens from .5 to 1.2 but have settled for around 8.5 to 1 ohms on a mech....I like just a slightly bigger bore than most stock caps I think around 1.5 mm...or 1.3 I'd have to check what I bore mine out at. The rocket and the bmg 22 and maybe a H-atty are the only gennys I have a real hard on for getting a hold of...well the helllfire mega micro? and of course the hellfire shorty....tried the nextgen thought it was total hype....I'm not sure I'd like that little fill in plug in the mcr..I usually find leaving the fill hole unplugged helps wicking.

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From your vaping style, and a few other refrences such as Pub, pint,and hellfire and MCR I'm going to guess your and English pantyhampster...LOL.I know a tighter draw seems more popular among English genheads I attribute this to the fact they could never stand the idea of defacing a hellfire...yeah over the years I've vaped my gens from .5 to 1.2 but have settled for around 8.5 to 1 ohms on a mech....I like just a slightly bigger bore than most stock caps I think around 1.5 mm...or 1.3 I'd have to check what I bore mine out at. The rocket and the bmg 22 and maybe a H-atty are the only gennys I have a real hard on for getting a hold of...well the helllfire mega micro? and of course the hellfire shorty....tried the nextgen thought it was total hype....I'm not sure I'd like that little fill in plug in the mcr..I usually find leaving the fill hole unplugged helps wicking.

Nope, I have zero English ancestry, I just think the Brits really know how to make top shelf gear, at least for what I like to vape now. Before mesh, I was really big on the Pinoy market, at that time just about anything made in the Philippines had great interest to me.

The fill in plug in the 303 is removable, you don't have to use it. However, just like the nahualon, I never had any wicking issues unless you removed it, then the deck will tend to flood a bit.

Don't get the rocket unless it's the r version ;)

VU Sponsors