Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey a picture of me before the beast bite me:giggle:

May be an image of 1 person and text

May be an image of 1 person, car, map and text that says 'BATES MOTEL SCANC In my day we didn't t have GPS. We just drove down old roads till we ended up in a horror movie.'

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
19 year old Dave Roth (1973) lead singer of a band formed by two immigrant Dutch brothers called:

May be an image of 2 people and musical instrument

Mammoth.
The Van Halen brothers formed their first band, the Broken Combs, in 1964. As they gained popularity playing backyard parties and local high school functions, they changed their name first to the Trojan Rubber Co, then in 1972 to Genesis, later still to Mammoth when they discovered Genesis was already in use by a major-label British band. At this time the band included Eddie on both vocals and lead guitar and friend Mark Stone on bass. They rented a sound-system from Indiana-born Pasadena transplant David Lee Roth for $10 per night. The loquacious, worldly, energetic son of a local ophthalmologist, Roth fronted a local R&B influenced rock band the Red Ball Jets. Roth's uncle Manny owned NYC's Bleecker street Cafe Wha? until 1968. Partly to save money, they now invited Roth to join as their lead vocalist despite previous unconvincing audition(s). Ultimately Roth's charismatic "Jim Dandy" approach would be both an artistic foil to Eddie's circumspect, guitar prodigy talents as well as allowing Eddie to focus his energies on song composition.
In 1973, Mammoth officially changed its name to Van Halen. According to Roth, this was his brainchild. He felt it was a name that held long-term identity, artistic and marketing advantages, like Santana. They continued to play Pasadena, San Bernardino, and Venice at clubs, festivals, backyard parties and city parks like Hamilton, drawing up to 2000 people. Traffic jams and noise complaints to the local police often ensued, as far away as San Pedro. Van Halen subsequently played clubs in Los Angeles and West Hollywood to growing audiences, increasing their popularity entirely through self-promotion, passing out flyers at local high schools. This tenacious self-promotion soon built them an auspicious, loyal, area following.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
19 year old Dave Roth (1973) lead singer of a band formed by two immigrant Dutch brothers called:

May be an image of 2 people and musical instrument

Mammoth.
The Van Halen brothers formed their first band, the Broken Combs, in 1964. As they gained popularity playing backyard parties and local high school functions, they changed their name first to the Trojan Rubber Co, then in 1972 to Genesis, later still to Mammoth when they discovered Genesis was already in use by a major-label British band. At this time the band included Eddie on both vocals and lead guitar and friend Mark Stone on bass. They rented a sound-system from Indiana-born Pasadena transplant David Lee Roth for $10 per night. The loquacious, worldly, energetic son of a local ophthalmologist, Roth fronted a local R&B influenced rock band the Red Ball Jets. Roth's uncle Manny owned NYC's Bleecker street Cafe Wha? until 1968. Partly to save money, they now invited Roth to join as their lead vocalist despite previous unconvincing audition(s). Ultimately Roth's charismatic "Jim Dandy" approach would be both an artistic foil to Eddie's circumspect, guitar prodigy talents as well as allowing Eddie to focus his energies on song composition.
In 1973, Mammoth officially changed its name to Van Halen. According to Roth, this was his brainchild. He felt it was a name that held long-term identity, artistic and marketing advantages, like Santana. They continued to play Pasadena, San Bernardino, and Venice at clubs, festivals, backyard parties and city parks like Hamilton, drawing up to 2000 people. Traffic jams and noise complaints to the local police often ensued, as far away as San Pedro. Van Halen subsequently played clubs in Los Angeles and West Hollywood to growing audiences, increasing their popularity entirely through self-promotion, passing out flyers at local high schools. This tenacious self-promotion soon built them an auspicious, loyal, area following.
And now Wolfie (Wolfgang Van Halen, not our Wolfie) has co-opted the Mammoth name to form his mediocre band capitalizing on daddy Eddie's name.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And now Wolfie (Wolfgang Van Halen, not our Wolfie) has co-opted the Mammoth name to form his mediocre band capitalizing on daddy Eddie's name.
Just to clarify, Wolfgang isn't bad, I just don't think he's great. Mammoth WVH, in my opinion, would be an indie band recording their own stuff and they would have fans, but they would not be a touring band with a major record label contract if he weren't Eddie's son. Just my opinion. I don't hate them, I just don't think they are good enough to be using any part of the Van Halen name, and think they should have avoided both Mammoth and WVH for the band name. By using his initials and his father's former band name I feel he is trading on his name rather than on his own skills or talent.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of 1 person, beer and text

On Aug, 5, 1957, television after school got cool…nationwide. It was on this day in '57 that ABC television network did the first national broadcast of "American Bandstand". The show was very popular on WFIL-TV in Philadelphia.
But the first show was interrupted for half an hour in the middle by The Mickey Mouse Club.
Host Dick Clark's first guest was the Chordettes and the first record danced to on the show was Buddy Holly's "That'll Be the Day."
AB ran It for thirty years straight until MTV came along in 1981. We all know what happened after that.
Happy 67th 'National' Birthday to "American Bandstand". Remember how cool that show was?

We were so lucky to have AB.

May be an image of 1 person and text

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
August 6th Born on this Day in History of Music Lucille Ball (1911), Andy Warhol (1928), Mike Elliott - The Foundations (1929) , Abbey Lincoln (1930), Allan Holdsworth - Soft Machine (1946), Judy Craig - The Chiffons (1946), Pat McDonald - Timbuk 3 (1952),Vincent John Cusano 'Vinnie Vincent' - Kiss (1952), Randy Debarge - Debarge (1958), Joyce Sims (1953), Jamie Kensit - Eighth Wonder (1963), Elliott Smith (1969), Geri Halliwell (1972), Donna Lewis (1973)
Chart News
1960 Jimmie Rodgers at No.1 in Australia with ‘Just a Closer Walk with Thee’
1977 Donna Summer at No.1 on the UK chart with 'I feel love'
1983 The Beach Boys at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'The Very Best Of The Beach Boys'
1988 Guns N'Roses at No.1 on the US album chart with'Appetite For Destruction' this album was the best selling debut album of all time.
1988 Yazz and the Plastic Population at No.1 on the UK chart with 'The Only Way Is Up'.
1994 Lisa Loeb at No.1 on the US chart with 'Stay (I Missed You)
2000 Ronan Keating at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Ronan'.
2000 Robbie Williams at No.1 on the UK chart with 'Rock DJ'.
2006 Shakira at No.1 on the UK and Australian chart with ‘Hips Don't Lie’
2006 James Morrison at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Undiscovered.'
2011 JLS featuring Dev at No.1 on the UK chart with ‘She Makes Me Wanna’
Gig News
1969 Led Zeppelin played at the Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento, California.

1970 The 10th National Jazz, Blues and Pop four day Festival held at Plumpton Racecourse in Sussex, England. Featuring, Family, Groundhogs, Cat Stevens, Deep Purple, Fat Mattress, Yes, Caravan, The Strawbs, Black Sabbath, Wild Angles, Wishbone Ash and Daddy Longlegs.
1977 The Police played at The Red Cow, Hammersmith Road in London
1998 George Michael appeared at the Capital Centre, Washington D.C.

May be a doodle of 1 person and text

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Just to clarify, Wolfgang isn't bad, I just don't think he's great. Mammoth WVH, in my opinion, would be an indie band recording their own stuff and they would have fans, but they would not be a touring band with a major record label contract if he weren't Eddie's son. Just my opinion. I don't hate them, I just don't think they are good enough to be using any part of the Van Halen name, and think they should have avoided both Mammoth and WVH for the band name. By using his initials and his father's former band name I feel he is trading on his name rather than on his own skills or talent.
I agree with your opinion on Wolfgang Van Halen. Is he earth shattering and ground breaking or cutting edge with his guitar skills like his dad, I think not. I just listened to one of his solos a few days ago, meh at best. Would I buy his music, um no and probably the only reason I listened to his band video was because of his last name.

VU Sponsors