Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon Family :wave:
Busy day here, taught my wife to tune up the truck, her idea, but she did real well then she wanted to change the oil so I taught her how to do that too, she missed her calling shoulda been a mechanic instead of beauty salon work.;) weeded in the garden then went and worked in my niece's garden.
I hope everyone is havin a great day:)

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'It's not what we have in life, but who we have in our life that matters. J.M Laurence www.YourPositiveOasis.com'

May be an image of text that says 'LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT το ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER το SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING HOLY SHIT. .WHAT A RIDE!'

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A salty dog
This artist is very dear to my heart, singing in heaven now, never forgotten.

Bongo Joe (George Coleman) was a lifelong vagrant who wrote brilliant songs and played a carved out oil drum in public for coins. He had many friends among our local community of musicians. He came from Florida, stayed a while in Galveston until regentrification of the sea wall area pushed him out. He wound up here in San Antonio, where he played for the rest of his life on the riverwalk. Everybody loved him. His songs were all original. This one I'm posting was a hit on British radio actually, nowhere else. Bongo Joe was drug addicted. I'm not sure whether or not he was alcoholic. Once in a magazine interview he turned the tables on the interviewer, who lost control of the conversation when he took out a prescription bottle and swallowed a pill. Bongo Joe asked him, "What's that? What's it for? Do you take anything else? Can I have some?". A real trickster of a personality. He died, I think in 1999, in a flophouse to be sure, but not alone. He was very much loved here, and people made sure he had food and shelter.

This song is about forgotten veterans, of which he was one, Vietnam I believe, though the plight of veterans has improved since the time he wrote and sang. This song appears on an Arhoolie documentary field recording of Bongo Joe's work:

Innocent Little Doggie

Last edited:

VU Sponsors